Dark Angels FAQ might be on the way

Syphid

Ok, color me confused. I just started DA after many, many moons on the dark side (see username) and I only have the E-codex and Faq 1.1A and don't understand some of the complaints.  such as:

1: the first bullet point under Company Master is :" May take a Storm Shield.......15pts", no mention in Dex or Faq about losing ANY wargear in exchange. Add TH from Termi Weps list and there you are. Doen't help PA Masters but it is something.

2:  DW Termi Squads have the EXACT same wording as the Faq: "Any model can replace all of his weapons with  a pair of lightning claws or a thunder hammer and storm shield. ANY MODEL, not any model except the Sgt, ANY MODEL.  Unless my American Southern upbringing was really backward ANY means THE WHOLE SQUAD, right?  Nothing in the Faq, contradicts that and since WRITTEN rules are the only ones I pay attention to is there a Faq/errata I missed somewhere?

3: Ok, the Apoth losing his bolt pistol for the Narthecium is just as stupid to me as my GK Apoth losing his StormBolter, so BONER there.

BUT, it clearly says under the 6th Bullet point, "Any Veteran may replace his chainsword and/or bolt pistol with........." So drop the chainsword for a bolter/ combi-weapon, or as I chose, a StormBolter.   Again, nothing in the Faq prohibits this.

Now as for the PFG, I actually agree with that, unless part of the transports own equipment, an energy field that can phase through armor is ridiculous.

The LSV is a great model,  which ever GW Brain(less)Boy decided to drop the LONG standing rule that Gets Hot! weapons don't blow up the vehicles they are part of needs to be introduced to the business end of a BIG stick. But that is an issue for the BRB Faq, not our Faq.

The Nephilim I am not familiar with, as I am the only DA player in my group and don't have one (yet) and haven't proxied either.  Also, since both our Chaos players only have one Heldrake apiece and are not the Beardy type our use of Flyers is not as abusive as some I have read about here.

Book reads: any model may replace ALL weapons...  Meaning that you cannot equip a CML to a hammernator.

Read the faq again.. (unless there is a new one. off to check now..)  Any model may replace HIS STORMBOLTER AND POWERFIST since the Sarge doesnt have a powerfist he cannot swap for thunderclaws...

Book reads: any model may replace ALL weapons...  Meaning that you cannot equip a CML to a hammernator.

Read the faq again.. (unless there is a new one. off to check now..)  Any model may replace HIS STORMBOLTER AND POWERFIST since the Sarge doesnt have a powerfist he cannot swap for thunderclaws...

Hmm, ok yep, did misread that, was actually looking at DW Cmd squad entry instead of DW Terminator squad and forgot the different Wargear list.  Doh!  As for CML on Hammernator, far as I know, that has never been an option for any Chapter.

It was for our chapter in the last book. And the book before that...  And possibly in Angels of Death...  It is a byproduct of having one terminator squad entry verses the shooty terminator squad/Assault terminator squad the blue book does.  Your book with one entry for WolfGuard is a completely different beast.  My wolfbrother runs termies with one Pfist and one Lightning claw to get the special weapon +1 attack and the choice of which weapon to use at which initiative..

Yes that is legal in the wolf book...   for now...

It was for our chapter in the last book. And the book before that...  And possibly in Angels of Death...  It is a byproduct of having one terminator squad entry verses the shooty terminator squad/Assault terminator squad the blue book does.  Your book with one entry for WolfGuard is a completely different beast.  My wolfbrother runs termies with one Pfist and one Lightning claw to get the special weapon +1 attack and the choice of which weapon to use at which initiative..

Yes that is legal in the wolf book...   for now...

Yep, what happens when you don't have the older dexes.  As for SW's with PF/LC, yeah, I bumped over that cheese when I put my latest army together and like all other cheese the smell turned me off.    So how did GW justify going from "replace all weapons" to "replace Stormbolter and Powerfist"?  That one still confuses me, or did they justify it at all?

Do they ever justify?  The Dark Angel masses howled over the CML and GW "fixed" it...  

We are used to it by now.

And my Wolfbrother only brings the cheese out with me for fun games...  or against people who deserve it...

Do they ever justify?  The Dark Angel masses howled over the CML and GW "fixed" it...  

We are used to it by now.

And my Wolfbrother only brings the cheese out with me for fun games...  or against people who deserve it...

True.....

Shouldn't be necessary, but is.....

I have to admit I have fun (occasionally) fighting cheese with cheese, mostly with my GK's, I shouldn't indulge, but like you said, fun games are just that,  and Cheesy players DO deserve to have their own medicine fed back to them.

*snip

I think it's a fluff reason, teleport homers are for calling down the Deathwing.

*snip*

And Deathwing are for killing Orks. Also, somewhat rarely, apprehending Fallen.

I thought they were for clearing nidz out of space hulks...

*snip

I think it's a fluff reason, teleport homers are for calling down the Deathwing.

*snip*

I thought they were for cleaning out plasma reactors...

*snip

*snip*

I thought they were for cleaning out plasma reactors...

While they are on...

According to Faeit...

Natfka (the guy that runs the site) contacted BL about the new FAQ and this was the reply...

Thank you for your reply. I am unable to give a definite date but they will be released within the next 4 months.

Many thanks, Black Library Customer Services

Up to 4 months to see a DA FAQ??? OMG...

Without a FAQ readily available and no plans from GW for one to be available for up to 4 months, how does everyone here play on playing that? What I mean to say will you be using the PFG different? Will your DW Sgts have hammers? If so.. you wouldn't be bound by the other changes in the FAQ either. Courage of the Lion would work on psyker powers. Of course veterans won't be as good with the restricted weapon use, but then again.. who uses them?

Anyway.. my question stands.. how will YOU handle the fact that our FAQ was retracted?

To me four months is way too long to not have a ruling on the FAQ. At most they should have left a smaller FAQ to cover things that were not in question. As it stands now, with the blanket statement that it was incorrect, it's hard telling what their intent was. So, my initial feeling is that it does that free us up to disregard it entirely until corrections are made.

I have mixed feelings about this. but think about it this way. If a new player started today.. how would he use the PFG? How would he equip his DW Sgts?

Already did and it looked like this.

Your message: Hello

I am writing to you in an effort to Sugguest a change to your FAQ for the Game's workshop Dark Angels Codex. While i am not sure that you are the correct people to contact, many of us Dark angel fans would really like to see several updates to the FAQ that was released for the book. Though there are many requests from fans that can be seen here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289960-dark-angels-faq-might-be-on-the-way/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3662120
most of the requests boil down to
-better missles or reduced points cost of the nephillim and dark talon.
-Deathwing sergents having access to all weapon options.
-Twin linked fire on the Land speeder vengeance.

as for the rest its
-Black knight = Ravenwing command squad 40pts/bike
-change wording on apothecary upgrade to avoid them losing an attack when becoming an apothecary
-decreased point costs for relics
-remove unweildy for the blade of caliban.
if this truly is a new FAQ that will be put out surely it will address the major issues in the codex name those listed first and would be great if all the issues listed could be addressed.
Thank you for your consideration."

Feel free to email it to GW as is or add the extra stuff you feel is relevant. the more Emails they recieve on this the more likey they are to make new favorable changes.

Um:
Monster Slayer of Caliban (Miles too dear),
Foe Smiter (Same, it's a glorified storm bolter)
Grim resolve (Too dear compared to Chapter Tactics that don't have a drawback),
Bikers (27 points instead of 22 or 23)
Asmodai (So fail in so many ways),
Heavenfall Blades (Why so different and where's AP2 on two of them),
Mind Worm (Why?)
Sammael (Warlord trait is not the Hunt, why, oh why)
Interrogator and normal Chaplains (20 points too dear)
Command Sqd ( Storm Shields 10 points like Vets and sqd 5 points cheaper)
Deathwing vehicle upgrade (30 points really? On an already overpriced vehicle

DW apothecary (losing his fist and not being 20 points cheaper, I'd rather he kept it ofc)
Etc. Etc...battery running out tongue.png

Sorry, some of those were mentioned above too.

Still no damned FAQ yet though; maybe the wait will mean changes of substance, crazy hope sneaking in again confused.gif

All of the above plus below

Grim resolve classed as a chapter tactic, not as good I know but helps with Imperial Armour.

Also Deathwing Vehicle - "Any Dark Angel dreadnought or transport capable of carrying terminators within a Dark Angel detachment may take the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade"

Yeh/ Nah?

DM

Archived