Dark Angels FAQ might be on the way

Syphid

Received this mail today:

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your email. I have passed your enquiry onto the rules team. For further enquires about the rules, you can contact them directly at gamefaqs@gwplc.com. 

Many thanks,

Stuart 

Black Library Customer Services
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm GMT

Personally there is little logic in taking the faqs down. They could have sat there until updated.

It makes me think there is something more to it - especially given the likely time for their reappearence.

I think we will be seeing 40K 7th (or 6.5) thrown at us fairly soon. Complete with updates to indivdual Codexes as FAQs.

Cheers

I

Personally there is little logic in taking the faqs down. They could have sat there until updated.

It makes me think there is something more to it - especially given the likely time for their reappearence.

I think we will be seeing 40K 7th (or 6.5) thrown at us fairly soon. Complete with updates to indivdual Codexes as FAQs.

Cheers

I

I agree, there was som issues with the "old" FAQ, but it worked.

Now - we have nothing.

I don't know about you guys, but I still have a FAQ. It's not on the site, but they didn't say it was invalidated , or did they?

n any case, if someone wants to have a better PFG, better DW sgt and worse RW command squad... why so bad that we don't have a FAQ?

WE wait and see. unil then.. talk to your gaming group to find out what is more sensible to do.

I'd like to see veterans not suck anymore. Give em jump packs as an option. And give them all the privilege of taking power weapons and special weapons.

10 jump pack marines with melta's, that has the potential to be the most fun u could have without taking your pants off!

Cheers

I

All I see will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

I have never seen GW really do point adjustments majorly. (yes they have done it but not a lot. If you do it for DA, then you have to do it for everyone and I don't think GW will do this). We may seem some new FAQs but will they be really the questions asked frequently? 

Then again, we are in uncharted territory with GW right now, so who knows if they will do a "living rulebook" with changes while not invalidating our purchase already made in the last 2 years. 

Are they playing testing the new faq before realising into the wild, as I recall black Templar and dark angels got storm shields and things modified to match that marine codex are they doing the same to thing again?

Are they playing testing the new faq before realising into the wild, as I recall black Templar and dark angels got storm shields and things modified to match that marine codex are they doing the same to thing again?

Man... They playtest their codex to the minimum... You can't want them to playtest their FAQs...

If they did, the helldrake wouldn't be that broken

Agreed if this is anything to go by. 

If this is true I can't see anything more than a '7th ed' update. Might also be a good time to stock up on a Dark vengeance Mini's you've been eyeing up too.

R

The ugly thing about the "7th Edition affair" it's that any FAQ Will be out after the release of the BRB to nerd DA codex in line to the new Edition...

This Will Lead to 2 major issues...

FAQ Will be For the new book Will mean that you Will have to buy the new BRB tp use them or to use the crappy FAQs we have now if you dont want to spend Money on the new one...

DV Will be pulled off the shelves so byebye For a source of new cheap miniatures For newbies...

And this IS done on may cause the end of the fiscal year is in the first days of june so GW probably needs to grab some cash cause they are stll having a downfall in sales...

Rumour is there will be a new starter box to accompany the new edition - it's highly unlikely that potential new gamers won't be catered for.

But one thing's for sure - it won't be DA :(

Back on FAQs - there is no way that using them alone will be a way of not using the new rulebook given possible changes to FOC and a possible psychic phase.

Cheers

I

Whoa... Do you mean that having a starter box , DA specific miniatures, countless pieces of fluff, one decent codex that doesn't need huge overhaul (current ed.)  and one codex that was fixed and became awesome (v3.5) are products of a DA-hating GW? I won't even dare to think what we would have if they loved us!!! Our wallets would surely couldn't take the stress if we had GW love!

Well Luc' , you should know for ages now that Master Sheol is convinced of a big conspiration within the GW studio whose goal is to nerf DA everyday the Emperor gives. Mr Vetock, with Jervis' blessing wakes up every morning with one single question : how can I hurt dark Angels more?

:lol:

More seriously, Master Sheol, I cannot leave you making such statement :

The ugly thing about the "7th Edition affair" it's that any FAQ Will be out after the release of the BRB to nerd DA codex in line to the new Edition...

Man, you don't know what the 7th will consist of, you don't know what the FAQ will consist of... Actually we don't even know if there will be a FAQ eventually!

So how can you say that "the FAQ WILL nerd our codex"?

This is just suppositions and you throw them like the truth. It's not fair.

As I've already told you : GW playtest their games poorly. They make several games where they forget half of their own rules and say "mmmmmmh ok, it works". Man how could you expect hard playtest from guys who argue in a bat rep " I play a devastator with 4 different heavy weapons to face any type of threat"?

Jervis hasn't played a game for years now! Did you notice that all of his "standard bearer" articles always talk about a spirit of the game but never about the game itself? Because he doesn't know.

15 years ago, when I started playing, the studio was full of guys like Tuomas Pirinen or Gordon Davidson, this guys were players, they did play tournies and met people in competitive environments. No surprise if the first has made a game that is still perfectly playable and full of fun (Mordheim) and the other one has made one of the most famous WWII game (Flames of war).

But GW took another way, the way of "models are more important than the rules". So they create models, every new codex is the occasion to release 3-5 new boxsets with new units... But when it comes to the rules... Look every codex :

- can you say that rules wise, the RWBK are on the same line as the LSV?

- can you say that the Tau Bomber is on the same line as the riptide?

- can you say that the wyvern is on the same line as the bullgryns?

It has nothing to do with hate or love... It's just a matter of luck and timeline.

Our codex is perfectly playable now. I still had fun last week end against an army made to kill mine. And managed to get the draw.

Sure Id like to see the PFG back as well as the CCW for termi sgt and decent missiles for my Nephilim but dont forget that 80% of the games played are fun not competitive. If you want a competitive game then play warmachine/hordes.

I understand Your points Avoghai but what makes me wonder is: in 20 years of 40k the Luck was Always on the other codices and never on our...

If it was just a matter of time and Luck in 25 years that GW created DA they should have had at least one powerful list...

I understand Your points Avoghai but what makes me wonder is: in 20 years of 40k the Luck was Always on the other codices and never on our...

If it was just a matter of time and Luck in 25 years that GW created DA they should have had at least one powerful list...

Actually it depends of how you formulate it :

If you say that we always had the wrong side in 25 years, it looks huge.

If you say that none of our 3 codex has been OP it sounds different.

First because you cannot make a rule out of 3 facts... It's not statistically representative.

2nd because 2 of the 3 codex have been made by Jervis... And you know what I think about his capacity to understand the metagame. <_<

3rd because we had some period for us : the 3.5 codex was nice (resulting from a B&C update btw)and if you're reasoning in 25years you must include the angels of death codex and I've never heard it was a weak one.

Finally because like I've said, the problem is not the DAcodex. The problem is the drake, the problem is the FMC status, the problem is the Tau supporting units. The problem is the allies matrix Our codex is fine, the issues are in other codex...

Frankly, what is the best solution ? Limiting combo such as White scars/shadow sun or boosting our codex to this level?

I'm new to the forum(first post ever,Joined up for the etl......been into 40k since the start of 2nd edition took a break on the game end for an edition or 2, back now!) I would agree our codex seems to have been written with haste & lack of fore-thought in some ways I.E point issues in some minor ways 5pts or so here or there...... especially when one looks at command vets vs elite vets(specially if compare them to sternguard) & other areas......but as far as our codex is flawed in these ways I think its semi Balanced in alot of ways people don't credit it with being....or see -0+0- ..but I've never been a POWER!!!!GAMER!!!!! (as in I must have every unit be able to pimp slap everything it runs into etc..but a tacticaly competitive gamer) I think if a balanced list is built theres alot to take advantage of etc as well as building lists not reliant on Belial every time etc..(something I've noticed alot,don't get me wrong I see his uses/merrits).(looks at Azrael entry turning every unit into scoring units almost etc DW/RW) (our fliers I'd say when you compare them to everyone elses you might dislike them& pts amount might need to shift a bit but I see some big tactical advantages if used right that other codexs will never have,though tricky to use correctcly....blind tests from dark talon gun/bomb....into a deathwing striking termies or knights etc). Don't get me wrong theres things to fix but if you look at it as a whole theres alot to like....& compete with.(this is a Triple Winged Chapter...Masters of Flexibility tacticly speaking...We're the First Legion look to our Many Strengths not our weaknesses & use them in a balanced way) Hopefully they fix the minor things in this new FAQ which are easily fixable in my opinion. anyways (minor side note the other space marine Chapters in their jealousy are calling us Dress Wearers so lets paint those dresses nicely this ETL..lol)

The most recent FAQ for those who don't have it:

WARHAMMER 40,000 CODEX: DARK ANGELS Official Update Version 1.1 A

Although we strive to ensure that our codexes are perfect, sometimes mistakes do creep in. In addition, we occasionally print new versions of our rules, which require amendments to be made in older versions of our codexes. When such issues arise, we feel that it is important to deal with them as promptly as we can, and we therefore produce regular updates for all of our codexes. When changes are made, the version number will be updated, and any changes from the previous version will be highlighted in Magenta. Where a version number has a letter, E.g. 1.1a, this means it has had a local update, only in that language, to clarify a translation issue or other minor correction.

Each update is split into three sections: Errata, Amendments, and ‘Frequently Asked Questions’. The Errata corrects any mistakes in the codex, while the Amendments bring the codex up to date with the latest version of the rules. The Frequently Asked Questions (or ‘FAQ’) section answers commonly asked questions about the rules. Although you can mark corrections directly in your codex, this is by no means necessary – just keep a copy of the update with your codex.

ERRATA

Page 28 – Warlord Traits, Courage of the Lion
Change rule to “The Warlord, and all friendly units chosen from Codex: Dark Angels within 12” of him, roll an additional dice when taking Leadership tests (except Psychic tests), discarding the highest”.

Page 32, 94 – Techmarines/Techmarine.
Add Boltgun to wargear.

Page 53/93 – Azrael Warlord Trait.
Change this entry to “If Azrael is in your primary detachment,
he must be your Warlord. He can choose any of the Dark
Angels Warlord Traits on page 28 (there is no need to roll)”.

Page 60 – Plasma Talon.
Add “Rapid Fire” to the weapon’s Type.

Page 61 – Stasis Bomb weapon special rules.
Add “Bomb”: The rules for Bombing Runs are found in the
Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Page 61 – Stasis Anomaly
Change to read “Every model in a unit hit by one or more
weapons with this special rule suffers a -1 penalty to their
Weapon Skill and Initiative, to a minimum of 1, until the end
of the turn.”

Page 61 – Vast Stasis Anomaly
Change to read “Every model in a unit hit by one or more
weapons with this special rule suffers a -3 penalty to its Weapon
Skill and Initiative, to a minimum of 1, until the end of the
turn. This replaces any penalty inflicted on a target by a Stasis
Anomaly (see left).”

Page 63 – Displacer field, rules.
Change the last sentence of the first paragraph to: “If the
scatter causes the bearer to arrive on top, or within 1” of
another model or impassable terrain, alter the scatter by the
minimum amount possible (in any direction) to prevent this”.
WARHAMMER 40,000: DARK ANGELS 2

Page 64 – Power Field Generator
Add “If the bearer is embarked upon a Transport vehicle, the
power field’s effects only apply to models embarked upon that
vehicle”.

Page 55 / 92– Asmodai, Wargear
Add “Bolt Pistol” to Asmodai’s wargear.

Page 92 – Azrael, Wargear.
Add “• bolt pistol” to Azrael’s wargear.

Page 92 – Belial, Wargear.
Add “• Iron Halo” to Belial’s wargear.

Page 95 – Deathwing Command Squad, options.
Change the second bullet point to: “• One Deathwing
Terminator in the army may be upgraded to the Deathwing
Champion, replacing all their weapons with the Halberd of
Caliban...............................................................................5 pts”.

Page 95 – Deathwing Command Squad, Options
Change the fifth bullet point to:
“• Any Deathwing Terminator can replace his storm bolter and
power fist with:
- a pair of lightning claws ……………………………….free
- a thunder hammer and storm shield ………….5 pts

Page 96 – Ravenwing Command Squad, options.
Add:
“• The Ravenwing Command Squad may purchase up to two
additional Ravenwing Black
Knights……………………………………………..40 pts / model”
Change the first bullet point to:
“• One Ravenwing Black Knight may take a banner from the
following list:
- Ravenwing Company Banner*...........................................15 pts”
- Revered Standard................................................................25 pts”
- Alternatively, the may take a banner from the Sacred Standards
section of the wargear list.”

Page 98 – Company Veteran Squad, wargear.
Replace the first four options with:
“• May include up to five additional Veterans ....18 pts/ model
• Any model may replace his boltgun or
bolt pistol with a chainsword ....................................................free
• Any model may replace his boltgun with one of the following:
- Storm bolter ......................................................... 5 pts/model
- Combi-flamer, -melta or -plasma ...................... .10 pts/model
- Power weapon, lightning claw or plasma pistol 15 pts/model
- Power fist ............................................................. 25 pts/model
- Pair of lightning claws ........................................ 30 pts/model
• Any model may take:
- Combat shield ...................................................... 5 pts/model
- Melta bombs ......................................................... 5 pts/model
- Storm shield ......................................................... 10 pts/model”

Page 99 – Deathwing Terminator Squad, Options
Change the second bullet point to:
“• Any model can replace his storm bolter and power fist
with:
- a pair of lightning claws ……………………………….free
- a thunder hammer and storm shield ………….5 pts
Page 101 – Ravenwing Black Knights, options.
Change the third option here to:
“• The Ravenwing Huntmaster may replace his corvus
hammer with a power sword or power
maul...................................12 pts”.

Page 102 – Ravenwing Darkshroud, special rules.
Delete “Stealth” from this list.

Page 102 – Assault Squad, options.
Change the final bullet point to:
“• The entire squad may remove their jump packs, changing
their unit type to Infantry. They may then have a Drop Pod
or Rhino as a Dedicated Transport for free (p100)”.

Page 102 – Nephilim Jetfighter, special rules.
Delete “Missile Lock” from this list

Page 104 – Land Raiders (all), options.
They do not have to be taken as a Dedicated Transport to
have this upgrade, so change the last option for each Land
Raider to:
“• May be upgraded to a Deathwing Vehicle (p40).........30
pts”. .

FAQs

Q: What type of weapon is a combat knife? (p97)
A: A combat knife is a close combat weapon. See page 51 in
the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Q: Do units deploying via the Deathwing Assault special rule count
toward the limit of units you are allowed to keep in Reserves at the
start of a battle? (p44)
A: Yes.

Q: The Standard of Devastation states that ‘all friendly Codex:
Dark Angels units within 6” of the standard treat their boltguns as
Salvo 2/4 weapons’. Which boltguns does this apply to? (p66)
A: This applies to the standard boltgun (24” range, S4, AP5,
Rapid Fire), twin-linked boltguns on bikes, the bolter
component of combi-weapons, and hurricane bolters.

Q: How many points is Interrogator-Chaplain Seraphicus, from the
special edition Dark Vengeance boxed game?
A: 125 points. Seraphicus is an HQ choice in a Dark Angels
army, and a special character. He is an Interrogator-Chaplain
armed with a plasma pistol, as listed in Codex: Dark Angels. He
replaces the Interrogator-Chaplain’s Zealot special rule with
his own Litanies of the Dark Angels special rule.

Last Updated April 2013

Yes fAQs were back up yesterday which is mysterious.

Anyway 7th rulebook will include relevant FAQs within it apparently. Posters are already up, or at least in circulation it seems.

D-day is 24th May - although that date might be for preorders only - possible general release 31st (?).

Cheers

I

Archived