Sevatar

Note from my previous posts, they were Rampager squads, lots of them, not Butchers. Got them confused.

Anyone try out Tactical Support squads? I think Volkite chargers could be fun in a drop pod, or Calivers as midfield support. Much cheaper than a Heavy Support squad with Culverins, with the obvious drop in firepower but don't take up our only HS slot for our RoW, and are scoring.

So interestingly they are pretty balanced with tacs.

10 support are 5 pts more than 17 tacs

10 support with volkite = 20 shot, 13 hits, 9  wounds, 3 kills, 3 more hits, another half kill. So 4 kills.

17 tacs = 34 shots, 22 hit, 11 wound, 3.7 kills. So 4 kills. 

So they are identical to tacs at 12 inches or when they FoTL. But it's 10 wounds to 17 wounds. Rapid fire weapon vs hvy weapon. And the tacs are much better in hth

So they are fairly cost efficient. I just feel they fit in legions that are built to do damage over 5 or six turns, that are hunkered in terrain and you and going to them. They just seem a little static and defensive for my taste. But I can see the appeal of infiltrating them on a flank and being a literal thorn in somebodies side. 

That said for 10 volites = 7 melta guns. And I'll take the melta guns everytime, since they 0blit, kill more MEQ, TEQ and threaten tanks.

The idea to use Calivers came to me in my last game. I had two tac squads that just ran around all game to get into good position. Had it been objectives they would have just sat on them. Which is fine, but they would have been twiddling their thumbs taking a few pot shots here and there. If I had a squad or two of Calivers then I could have had them infiltrated midfield and had my Tacs get up close/infiltrate close and personal to be in prime FuryOtL position while the Calivers could cover them effectively and camp out on Objectives. That way I milk my Tacs for every point they're worth and cover potential objectives.

One thing I struggle with is enough scoring. I usually only have 4 scoring units, 2 Tacs, Mor Deythan, and Seekers. It hasn't been a problem yet, but one intense scouring mission or maelstrom could be deadly.

It's not about just math vs math, because there are more variables. Also your math is off, Calivers are S6 not 5. Not a huge difference but every bit counts.

plus, you can have an apothecary in the support squad too, for more survivability with long range firepower. Plus an auspex for interceptor.

Also a good point. With 5-10 guys that's 10-20 S6 shots with deflag in a 30" bubble. They can threaten Speeders, Assault marines, and the like.

To be more accurate: 10-20 S6 shots with deep strike interceptor within 18" and a 30" normal threat range.

Another thing i just thought of: Praetor with paragon blade in termi armor and forge lord with fractal blade in termi armor with rad grenades. Both will be S6 on the charge against T3 marines. Thats truly Bloody Ruin.

Actually, put them on bikes so they can sweep and have T5. Perhaps stick them with Furies?

Edited by Nusquam

Good catch. Str 6. So that 4.5 ish kills. And threatens light vehicles. 

On a side note, for scoring, I never see you build lists with rhinos. For maelstrom they score, are fast and cheap. But to me, with RG, they are sooo much more. 2 important rules. You can't kill what you can't see and you can't charge what you can't see. So you can use your rhinos to block LOS to let you snipe out sgt (with no look out sir), or kill ICs, or kill off certain models hanging out on one side of the unit. 

Or you can throw two rhinos sideways and park them in front of a tac blob to screw up their fury of the legion. Or speed bump spartans that have to drive around you. Not to mention, blocking charges, tank shock, and they can take a cheap combi melta

It also prevents FnP.

Since our RoW gives us PE(ICs) I'm brainstorming some ways of delivering(heheh) an HQ Killer. Both Destroyers and Sky Hunters tooled up will be about 400 points. Ouriders will be around 350 without giving them all Plasma guns, but around 600 if you include the plasma. They each can take squad-wide melta bombs as well.

There's several ways to approach this. You could have a Praetor with a Paragon blade and Forge Lord with Rad grenades and Fractal blade. This will do the most damage but costs the most. Or you could take a Forge Lord and give him an axe and Fractal blade to save on taking a Praetor, but will have to go without or take someone else to get a RoW. Also the AP2 will be at I1 instead of 5.

The Destroyers allow you to skip the Forge Lord, and just take a tooled up Praetor, since they already have Rad grenades, but with the obvious draw back in toughness. Though their shooting is a bit more potent against marines from the rad missiles. If taking Decap Strike you can spend your consul on a Medicae for FnP and give him the Fractal blade.

Sky Hunters has a nice ring to it. They're also tough with T5 2+. But you'll need a FL for rad grenades, so that's your one consul.

Outriders are a bit of a ringer. They can have 4 power weapons in a squad of 10 and each can take a twin-linked plasma gun. This makes them the most dangerous, but will be the most expensive if taken in full. They have T5 from bikes but are stuck with the standard 3+ save. You can take 7 with TLPGs, 2 power weapons, and a sarge with a power weapon for 375 points. You'll be lacking in bodies but will still dish out a lot of damage. Scout can get them into position or outflank for a solid volley of plasma before potentially needing to jink.

They're all good in their own right, also cool. Anything T4 is going to have a bad day fighting a XIX Praetor.

Also I don't really like rhinos. I've seen them as a liability more times than not. Doesn't mean they can't be good, I prefer to spend my points in upgrades and gunships first. I also only own one, and it's converted into a Scorpius for my Raptors.

I forgot command squads can be upgraded like their HQ counterpart. So a Praetor and Forge Lord, both loaded for bear on a scimitar, attached to a scimitar command squad with axes and shields might be the perfect candidate to take advantage of our Preferred Enemy(Independent Characters) from Decapitation Strike. All WS5+, T5, A2+ base, 2+/5++, fast with decent shooting, and S6 AP2 against T3 enemies on the charge. That is a force to be reckoned with. If only there was a way to get FnP in there with them. I feel the buffs of Decapitation Strike are too great to pass up.

In my experience First Blood often becomes the deciding factor in games and Rhinos are just too easy to kill for First Blood

Yeah, but with decapitating strike and Maun you are at 80% chance to go first. If your not getting first blood almost every game, ur doing something wrong :p

I find my plasma seekers do a solid job hunting them as well. 

It's situational but I use it with my grav cannon templates. I often target a squad and clip a tank instead of the other way around. The re roll is usually worth it. 

I forgot command squads can be upgraded like their HQ counterpart. So a Praetor and Forge Lord, both loaded for bear on a scimitar, attached to a scimitar command squad with axes and shields might be the perfect candidate to take advantage of our Preferred Enemy(Independent Characters) from Decapitation Strike. All WS5+, T5, A2+ base, 2+/5++, fast with decent shooting, and S6 AP2 against T3 enemies on the charge. That is a force to be reckoned with. If only there was a way to get FnP in there with them. I feel the buffs of Decapitation Strike are too great to pass up.

*S5 AP2

Axes are only +1 S :)

Definitely don't discount command squads, I have seen them do quite a number on terminators. The WS5 is pretty handy.

You forget that They get furious charge on bikes. Anyways I approve of this unit, as it feels like a very fun list to use. also dont the scimitars get heavy bolters?

Lol true I forgot. I'm used to everyone infiltrating.

You forget that They get furious charge on bikes. Anyways I approve of this unit, as it feels like a very fun list to use. also dont the scimitars get heavy bolters?

Yep, so effectively +2S with axes on the charge. And yes they get HBs. They will end up being the same cost as 10 Sky Hunters with an upgraded Sarge, but with WS5, Fearless from the banner, each with an axe and a 5++ in CC. I really like the idea of it.

It's expensive but I would put it in the acceptable category.

As for an armoured spearhead; It's one of those thing any legion can do well as a result of just being a legion of marines, but others can do better.

You can always ask your local buddies how they feel about it.

Because one thing we keep repeating elsewhere in the AoD section is : Do whatever you want

And having some Legion rules that would essentially prevent you from doing so due to they themselves being fluffy is kinda counter productive since there is a nigh 100% chance that the RG did, in fact, have an Armored Spearhead force at some point.

...Then again, having LR be Dedicated Transports for RG and thus gaining Infiltrate seems rather powerful..

Disregarding points limitations, you could max out your troops selections with 10 man Tacs in LR Proteus and have an enemy drown in Infiltrated Av14 Bricks turn 1. 

Then again, the Alpha Legion can do this so I don't see why the RG couldn't.

You could achieve a 1:1 of infantry:tanks from dedicated transports but it's more of an armoured infantry column since you won't be able to take any battle tanks.

It's an interesting idea. Mor Deythan will grant whatever they're in scout. You can nab a Proteus with the Web for reserve manipulation if anything is outflanking. Alpha-striking out of an infiltrated and scouted LR is pretty scary.

Realistically, any legion could do anything. The tank limit is for general warfare and probably balance. Plus the AS RoW doesn't offer much other than giving out LRs to everyone. Which we can take advantage of, but it will rack up the points and LRs aren't very good at the fighting part. But you will have scorign ones from troops so that's not too bad. I would put some infantry in Eagles of some sort so you can grab some Sicarans if you're really set on LRs for troops.

Also at the Drop-site there were plenty of infantry in pods and being dropped in so even they they could of have the tank rule in play ha.

lol good points. Speaking of RoW's I may have missed this but what would be good for an Angel's wrath RoW?

I was thinking two assault squads and 9 Dark furies, two fire-raptors and one storm-eagle carrying either Mor-dynath or terminators. A good mix of jump packs and flyers. comes out around 2,000pts

what do you think?