ETL: Crusade of ZEAL - The Templars Now Stand Alone

Acebaur

If only points corresponded to the work involved in the painting.  I have two Pods that need painting, and they're a total chore.  In terms of points, they wouldn't amount to crap :P

Seems kinda 'meh' to choose overpriced units that would never see the table, or making 12 HQs of the same type, simply to win.  Not a paddle-able offense, mind, but...cheeky, for want of a better word.

If only points corresponded to the work involved in the painting. I have two Pods that need painting, and they're a total chore. In terms of points, they wouldn't amount to crap tongue.png

Seems kinda 'meh' to choose overpriced units that would never see the table, or making 12 HQs of the same type, simply to win. Not a paddle-able offense, mind, but...cheeky, for want of a better word.

It's not always the points, the model needs to appeal to you, I could of gotten a shed ton of land raiders if I so desired. But even as much as I love our venerable tank I must say that 9 is more then enough. Similar to crusader squads, I've reached the point that I'll never be able to field more then I have, so the desire to buy more is low (outside of making more uniquely posed/armed models off course).

So I agree wholeheartedly with you. That said, next year, I'm going to stock pile walkers in all sizes at least 3 months prior to the ETL, I WILL NOT BE DENIED, STAND WITH ME BROTHERS!

What if I would actually field them? Besides there is rule of cool to consider...

I personally have a bit of a thing for HQs... constantly acquiring more and not having enough other models to use them. I honestly am planing to run an unbound list at some point of Marshals, Chaplins, and maybe honor guard in LRCs just because I can.

I wouldn't mind stuff like the Vanguard idea, except the tiny addendum of vowing them as Marshals. That feels dishonorable to me. And to be fair, I'd rather lose honorably, than win dishonorably. furious.gif

I have no idea what I'll have for next year. A lot depends on what I get done in the next couple of months on my Guard and ++Heresy++ armies. So we'll see. I don't feel like forcing people to buy expensive models they'll never use.

I simply enjoy people vowing models which you see later in a bat rep. smile.png

And off course: a huge CONGRATS to

-Tekman: BT Forum Champ. Well done, Brother, you deserved it!

and

-Mike Zulu: for receiving the badge of the Artisan with his fabulous Sword Brethern. Magnificent work, Brother!

Special mentions:

-Brother Honda: BT Forum chaplain, who made sure the Zeal levels remained stable, and were properly guided.

-All you other guys, for vowing and sharing your amazing models and the equally amazing paint jobs. While I can't speak for everyone, I know you guys definitely kept me motivated simply by painting and completing your vows.

In short: thanks.gif

ADDENDUM: Ah, yes! I should get myself a Super Heavy for my IG to vow next year. See if I can finish that in the opening day as well. wink.png

If only points corresponded to the work involved in the painting. I have two Pods that need painting, and they're a total chore. In terms of points, they wouldn't amount to crap :P

Yup, spent a reasonable amount of time on a Rhino only to walk away with a handful of points.

Another factor, at least for me, was points per dollar spent. Tactical squad boxes have a 4:1 ratio whereas a Stalker or Hunter is almost 1:1.

If only points corresponded to the work involved in the painting. I have two Pods that need painting, and they're a total chore. In terms of points, they wouldn't amount to crap tongue.png

Seems kinda 'meh' to choose overpriced units that would never see the table, or making 12 HQs of the same type, simply to win. Not a paddle-able offense, mind, but...cheeky, for want of a better word.

It's not always the points, the model needs to appeal to you, I could of gotten a shed ton of land raiders if I so desired. But even as much as I love our venerable tank I must say that 9 is more then enough. Similar to crusader squads, I've reached the point that I'll never be able to field more then I have, so the desire to buy more is low (outside of making more uniquely posed/armed models off course).

So I agree wholeheartedly with you. That said, next year, I'm going to stock pile walkers in all sizes at least 3 months prior to the ETL, I WILL NOT BE DENIED, STAND WITH ME BROTHERS!

Perhaps have a forum side event like Chaos did, Vow what you need from a list and then put them into a big themed picture. (The Sword Brethren Charge, The Implacable March of the Dreadnoughts that kind of thing) ps. Tekman I'll flip your for the rights to vow the EVA 01 Imperial Knight Titan.

Yeah it's tough to fit it in with the other boardwide comps. Trying not to burn out the community.

Then again we are Templars. We could do it easy. smile.png

Make it happen, bossman. I wanna try cramming yet another banner into my sig. But more importantly, I don't paint crap without a deadline. :P

I wouldn't mind stuff like the Vanguard idea, except the tiny addendum of vowing them as Marshals. That feels dishonorable to me. And to be fair, I'd rather lose honorably, than win dishonorably. furious.gif

Yeah, it'd be nice if it was somehow roughly based on the size of the unit or something. Of course, I reckon the reason why it's the way it is is that otherwise Semper would have to figure out a points value for basically every model out there! I mean of course basic infantry units could be relatively straightforward, like say, 2 points for 25mm based infantry, 3 points for 40mm based infantry etc, but when you get to vehicles and whatnot, there's so many shapes and sizes...

I know I did a LOT of HQs last year. Mind you, they were HQs I had - and actual HQ models such as special characters or the Commander kit, with the exception of the DW terminator sarge built as a Marshal - and didn't specifically get them for ETL. But still, it does feel kinda cheap in the end when someone else paints 5+ times as many models while contributing less to the points total!

As it is I'm not 100% sure what I'll paint next year. I certainly still have plenty of models left as it is. Sadly more than half of my Sternguard and now more or less done, so I guess those are out tongue.png Same goes for the partially done Ironclad. I could focus on painting non-marine things until the next ETL, but there's some things I'd kinda like to paint prior, as I want to play with them if possible, and I'd rather play with painted models. Sadly that includes my Vanguard models, which indeed could be made into a configuration earning a lot of points. I would certainly have enough power fists and thunder hammers to make them expensive, indeed tongue.png

One thing is though that I'm definitely going to limit the amount of models I put into a single vow, even if that means low point value overall. Something like no more than 10 infantry models, or 2-3 vehicles per vow. I don't want a repeat of this year, where I was just too tired to first start and then finish what I was supposed to, even with just the one vow. I was originally supposed to do several after all, just like last year.

Well, admittedly it's a mixed bag having Chaos as one big faction but splitting us. I mean yeah, had we been a part of AoD, then the race would have been purely between us and Chaos with the others not being able to compete, but now this way no one stood a chance against Chaos. I'm curious as to how many of the Chaos points were CSM and how many were CD, so as to see what the standings would've been like had they been separate.

Well, admittedly it's a mixed bag having Chaos as one big faction but splitting us. I mean yeah, had we been a part of AoD, then the race would have been purely between us and Chaos with the others not being able to compete, but now this way no one stood a chance against Chaos. I'm curious as to how many of the Chaos points were CSM and how many were CD, so as to see what the standings would've been like had they been separate.

Crunch the numbers and get back to us.  I'm curious as well, but also lazy :lol:

These double standarts.

We are part of the main dex now why separate us?

Cowards.

Next year I will join the competition.

I think the Templars fought all the harder when recognized as their own faction. :D 

No other faction in a codex came close to proving their worth as a big faction.

These double standarts.

We are part of the main dex now why separate us?

Cowards.

Next year I will join the competition.

I think the Templars fought all the harder when recognized as their own faction. biggrin.png

No other faction in a codex came close to proving their worth as a big faction.

That's how we roll. I rather lose as a mighty Chapter than carry those lazy bones AoD (says the man who contributed a measly 185 points) msn-wink.gif

Just imagine what that scoreboard would look like if Arizonajirt rolled with us! laugh.png

Organization of the factions does need to be reconsidered a bit, but considering we mopped the floor with the Wolves and the Angels, and went toe to toe with the Dark Angels and AoD, I'd say we're doing well enough on our own. If we rolled with AoD, it would pretty much just be us versus Chaos, with the independent dexes and smaller factions losing by default.

So... as proof of our ZEAL can we keep this thread open and active with our planing and inspiration for ETL4 all the way until it opens?

I've already got a Marshal a TDA Chaplin and a squad of ranged Sword Brethren that will be ready to go. I'll add up points when I get to my computer later this week.

Archived