[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

Does anyone know how Breachers fare at holding objectives? I want to try and make a list which can tie up the other player on their side of the board, while grabbing the objectives behind me with some infantry, and I feel like Breachers would work well if I could get them to the objectives quickly with maybe a few anti-armor units backing them up.

How do you guys feel about using Mor Deythan with the Rewards of treason? I'm having a tinker with lists and feel these guys armed with combi weapons, in conjunction with headhunters could be pretty useful

He will pin his squad as well iirc if you fail.

Yup, he does have his downsides.

it's a very small downside, all being said and done. At LD10 you're only failing 8.334% of the time, even if the game goes to 6 turns that's a 50% chance he'll fail and pin your squad. Also consider how cheap he is for the potential to completely annihilate multi-wound units. 

Also @helterskelter, Mor Deythan are imo the best unit to use with Rewards of Treason. They're extremely good units but even better with AL than with RG, funnily enough.

Not too sure, personally. I find that the Coils of the Hydra is quite a meh Rite of War with the exception of perhaps 4 units; Gal Vorbak, Tyrant Siege Terminators or Fulmentarus (I prefer Tyrants; Split Fire is awesome combined with their powerfists for just mauling enemies, although BS5 is awesome especially when combined with a Siege Breaker). I was going to say Suzerains, but then I remembered the AL aren't Sworn Brothers with Imperial Army, so their special rule would have no effect, and they cannot take Legion Standard either. The fourth unit is the Ultramarines unique access to a second Damocles Rhino, letting you bring down 3 Bombardments/turn, but that's questionable and not something I've looked too deeply into.

The reason why I'm not sure on Coils of the Hydra, is because I believe there are better armies out there for infiltrate. If you want to Infiltrate, play Raven Guard. Our unique Terminators suck, and Headhunters are outclassed by a Drop Pod with Shotgun/Combi Flamer or Combi Volkites for taking down enemy infantry. Preferred Enemy Banestrikes are okay, but Twin-linked BS5 Rending Combi Volkites just obliterates what Headhunters can achieve.

You're limited to finding a Transport or Infiltrate, and I find that the Infiltrate is done better by RG, which defeats the point of Coils of the Hydra, while with a Transport, you're stuck with either a Rhino, or the pretty awesome ability to bring in a Darkwing as well. If you're going to do this, bring the Darkwing, and take advantage of not having to take Infiltrate, instead having fun with the variant other options; one of my main problems was that to save money and points, people avoided taking transports; initially because Rhino's were dog dirt, but now, spamming Rhino Rush can avoid enemy units.

In such a list, you can take Tank Hunters, Move Through Cover, or Counter Attack; if you have Breachers, IMHO, Counter attack is the hotness when putting them in the way of things like Templars.

Hesh thanks as always for your tactical and rule insight which is impreccable.

On another note regarding CotH. I usually run it with iron havocs as my premier anti tank (coupled with rapiers). Removing them so i can run a navigator with the rite of war i need something to replace them.

I was think mortis contemptor with autocannons or kheres. Not going to pop land raiders but good vs light veichles, fliers and MC. I will pre empt the daredo arguement in that all my heavy slots are taken (hence why i was running iron havocs in elites)

Cheers

V

Edited by v6v77

Deredeo Provides better Anti-Air Coverage than a Kheresnaught due to Double the Range and not relying so strongly on Rending. A TLLC C-Mortis could also perform pretty well on its own, its only drawback being 2 Shots. BS5 and Twin-Linked helps alleviate the problem but its no 4 Shots, Twin-Linked & Sunder.

For more General Purpose, I personally prefer the C-Fist+Grav & Kheres.

Ive been toying with the idea of a vet squad with two heavy bolter and banestrike rounds. Would it be better to do that and select a rule other than sniper, or just take sniper and save 20pts?

Ive been toying with the idea of a vet squad with two heavy bolter and banestrike rounds. Would it be better to do that and select a rule other than sniper, or just take sniper and save 20pts?

Depends. Whats your Tac Vets going to be shooting at? A guaranteed 4+ To wound at all times with the chance at Ap2, in my eyes, greatly outdoes a chance at Ap3 and reduced Range(?).

If your group allows headhunters to take combi weapons instead of combi bolters like their base unit (seekers), then go headhunters. If they don't you are better off with a combi squad of seekers with banestrike rounds.

The combi weapons will do more damage in 1 round that the banestrike rounds will do in a whole game, and seekers have better ammo selection for different targets. The loss of venom spheres is nothing as you should be shooting rapid fire weapons all the time, and the power dagger is useful but not as useful as having 10 combi weapons. Most of the time infiltrate is sort of 50/50 as you will be taking infiltrate as mutable anyway, or buying them a DT or giving DS from dynat. Implacable advance is the only real pro for the headhunters, but 10 power armoured bodies do not last long.

Of course if your group will allow headhunters to take combi bolters, they are seekers +1 that only miss out on having ammo variety.

whats the general consensus on the AL termies?

If, for some odd reason, you decide to run a Siege Breaker, slapping him onto a 10 Man Larnean Squad with 2 Conversion Beamers to give them Tank Hunters (re-read the Profile of the SB. Confers TH To Heavy Weapons being shot by Infantry; not heavy weapon squads specifically) might make them a bit better? Maybe?

I dunno. 

I can't find any way to make Lernaeans good. The conversion beamer is really expensive and not terribly great. The Volkite charger is a detriment as you are unlikely to shoot it as you risk shooting yourself out of a charge and they pay a lot of points in the end for +1 WS and stubborn. If they had Volkite Calivers I could see them as being a good all rounder, but as they stand now they are trying to do too many jobs and not being great at any of them.

All the more reason to run infiltrating firedrakes or tyrants....

But yes volkite calivers would make them awesome. Special deployment or something Alpha legion esque would be nice. Right now they dont feel like our terminators. Juat termis with a fancy name.

Edited by v6v77

then what sort of termies would be good for AL?

I dont know. I feel we needed something to represent our nature as the special ops/black ops get our hands dirty kinda guys.

Deep striking would be nice and probably fluffy (turning up in the perfect place exactly where you least expect them) or maybe a selection of rules like veterans (move through cover, furious charge ect) to represent a veteran group of warriors so skilled in multiple facets of warfare. Maybe allow them to change their tactic on a leadership roll?

Equipment wise they are okay just abit meh comparednto say firedrakes, tyrants and gorgons.

Edited by v6v77

Except they are equipped with 15" ranged weapons, and the only long ranged weapon they can get is the conversion beamer. And to get even 1 conversion beamer is 250 points, a contemptor will do that for 200 and a heavy beamer to boot.

They want to be close ranged, but they pay lots for a weird mixture or rules and weapons. If they could take just power weapons instead of axes they might be more useful. but for 10p each more than normal terminators, I don't find 1WS, Stubborn, and Volkite Chargers worth it.

I think the best loadout for them would be 10 with a Venom Harness with a few chain fists and power fists charging out of a spartan. But for that kind of points other legions do it better. And with our unique ability to use other Legions units it would be better to just use theirs (Red butchers come to mind).

How about this as a little fluffy rule boost to the lerneans

No witnesses: The lerneans terminators were virtually unknown outside the Alpha legion. This was not for lack of skill or battle honors, but the simple fact that when the lerneans are deployed they leave no witnesses. Any who could spread word of these implacable destroyers were hunted down without mercy.

A unit with this special rule can, on a successful leadership test in the movement phase, opt to double either their number of close combat attacks or the number of shots fired by their ranged weapons.

The unit also gains the ability to sweep advance but only rolling a d3.