[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

There is an email from FW saying this is ok. I think it is lurking somewhere in this thread even

Really? thats awesome. thanks for letting me know. :biggrin.:

In a day or two ill put the list im thinking of up. would love to hear what my fellow harrowmasters have to say.

There is an email from FW saying this is ok. I think it is lurking somewhere in this thread even

Really? thats awesome. thanks for letting me know. :biggrin.:

In a day or two ill put the list im thinking of up. would love to hear what my fellow harrowmasters have to say.

Looking forward to seeing your AL list mate :wink:

Hello,

I'm new to the Horus Heresy. I collected quite a bunch of Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines in the last decade and now I have the urge to paint some miniatures. Right now it is only a painting project, I don't have the money or time right now to buy the Forgeworld books, but I want to build my figures so I can play in the future. So what are good units composition to start the Alpha Legion?

My first thought was building and painting 14 marines with bolters and a sergeant with power fist and power dagger.

then characters for a break (at least a apothecary and consul, but don't know which type) and then another basic marine squad.

I have some bikes, old rhinos, predator and cybot which are right now in the paint stripping process.

Hello,

I'm new to the Horus Heresy. I collected quite a bunch of Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines in the last decade and now I have the urge to paint some miniatures. Right now it is only a painting project, I don't have the money or time right now to buy the Forgeworld books, but I want to build my figures so I can play in the future. So what are good units composition to start the Alpha Legion?

My first thought was building and painting 14 marines with bolters and a sergeant with power fist and power dagger.

then characters for a break (at least a apothecary and consul, but don't know which type) and then another basic marine squad.

I have some bikes, old rhinos, predator and cybot which are right now in the paint stripping process.

I think what you listed may already be good enough to start an army, sicne it fills all the necessary slots, provided your Centurion (aka Consul) is allowed to fill in the compulsory HQ choice.

An Alpha Legion list running a Treason list to pick up a Damocles can get Coils of the Hydra, autilon skorr, a proteus with explorator array and a damocles. If you can find a way to get an effective reserves heavy list (using infiltrate, perhaps?) you can get -3 to enemy reserves and +1 to your own, with a reroll from a Master of Signal.

Autilon Skorr = 125, Infiltrate Tactics, Divide to Conquer Warlord Trait

Command Squad, +2 Chosen, Proteus Land Raider, Armoured Ceramite, Explorator Array = 410pts

Master of Signal = 85pts

Damocles Rhino = 100pts

Terminator Squad, Plasma Blaster, Chainfist, Power Dagger = 205pts

Terminator Squad, Plasma Blaster, Chainfist, Power Dagger = 205pts

Rapier Battery, 3 Graviton Cannons = 225pts

Tactical Squad, Rhino, Vexilla = 195pts

Tactical Squad, Rhino, Vexilla = 195pts

Tactical Squad, Rhino = 185pts

Legion Land Speeder Squadron, 3 Land Speeders with Graviton Guns = 195pts

Deredeo, Aiolos, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer = 220pts

Deredeo, Aiolos, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer = 220pts 

Typhon, Armoured Ceramite = 370pts

Comes in at 2800pts, slap in the middle. Slightly lacking in heavy armour killing, but I think has decent potential. It's not a meta breaking list, and was thrown together in about 5 minutes, but incorporates some variant tactics and can mess with an enemies deployment, especially those like RG, NL or SoH who make good use of the Reserves rules.

For a unit to deepstrike ALL models in the unit must have the deepstrike rule. Dynat's warlord trait gives the DS rule to an infantry unit, but he himself won't have the DS rule so wn't be able to deepstrike with them. If you want to get Dynat to DS you will need to put him in a pod, or use his warlord trait to give himself DS.

Except special rules that are given to a unit do not carry over to attached ICs unless they specifically call it out

Special Rules, P166
When an Independent Character joins a unit, it might have different special
rules from those of the unit. Unless specified in the rule itself (as in the
Stubborn special rule), the unit's special rules are not conferred upon the
Independent Character, and the Independent Character's special rules are not
conferred upon the unit. Special rules that are conferred to the unit only apply
for as long as the Independent Character is with them.

And

Independent Characters and Ongoing Effects, P166

Conversely, if an Independent Character joins a unit after that unit has been
the target of an ongoing effect (or joins a unit after himself having been the
target of an ongoing effect) benefits and penalties from that effect are not
shared.

So attached ICs won't get the deepstrike rule, and for a unit to deepstrike all models in the unit must have the rule. Also of note is that when your warlord dies his traits immediately seize to function, so if dynat dies before the unit with DS arrives, they will no longer be able to deepstrike.

Edited by xera32

Ah, I see where you're coming from. 

We're technically both correct, as in your choice of rule supports your call, and my choice of wording supports mine, and it would be down to roll off if you can't agree. Still, Dynat has better things to be doing than Deep Striking unless it's out of a pod which allows him to come down first turn and use his Cognis Signum. (Such as bringing down Deep Striking Praevians with Darkfire Castellax and giving them BS5 with Tank Hunters and +1 to Penetrate).

How would Praevian+Castellax Deep Strike? As far as I know, they are "a unit of Monstrous Creatures" according to the experimental rule. 

[This unit does not use up an additional Force Organisation slot and the Legion Praevian must be included as part of the unit even if it includes models of the Monstrous Creature type (while it is part of a unit of Monstrous Creatures, the Legion Praevian may not Go To Ground, voluntarily or otherwise).]

Do they fit in some kind of vehicle?

Hesh: By that rationale the automata get deep strike when the praevian joins them but they can only join with the praevian (in deep strike reserve) by having deep strike.  

If so then any unit an IC (with deep strike) joins can deepstrike and a centurion with a jump pack can make a unit of tactical marines deep strike.

The idea is boshed by the first paragraph of the IC usr.  "Independent characters can join other units.....They can join other ICs,  though to form a powerful multi-character unit"  

This tells you that an IC is a unit in it's own right and only the praevian is targeted by dynat's warlord trait because the praevian has not joined the automata at the moment he receives deep strike

Edited by Sanct

Hmm, looking back on the rules, I thought I had a more water tight evidence than that, but I can't think what it was. I don't think it was changed, but essentially the basis of the idea was that it was thePraevian who upgraded his unit to contain monstrous creatures (similar to how a Kroot Squad takes hounds or a Beastmaster takes Razorwings), but they are another unit.

Essentially the rule is extremely poorly written due to how poorly interaction between unit and model is (ie a single breacher shield in a squad of 50 infantry levies means that all enemies are disrupted), and should be written more in line with 'Any unit made up entirely of models with the Infantry unit type' woukd be better.

And to make assault squads better, i'd rather it allowed a squad already capable of DSing to assault from reserve same turn (unless teleport)

Looking adding spartan to my collection just unsure if lascannons or las destroyer is better load out. Yes, I'm going magnetize it. Just for damage out put 2 twin link shots, or 1 twin link ordinance shot.  Cant figure which one is better over all. 

And legion support sq., been looking at adding 5 man team to my list with meltas there has been up tick in heavy armor in my area, and look for DS them in using dyant rule seem like a good way knocking out tank quickly. Just its expensive  invest point wise, not sure if worth switching up stander list. Plasma is nice if up against  term heavy force but, but IWND tanks seem to be new rage in my area. 

Any one read book 5 is it worth getting?

How does the navigator fare in an alpha legion army? Looking to put one in a tac blob with my praetor.

I have had good success running him, for his points he does offer up a lot. But need to be hidden because he will die to just about anything.  His powers are strong and not being a having a down side to failing them or no way for them to be stopped its win/win. HIs lidless stare is :cussing great against robots failing about 50% marine failed it in 30% range.

With more and more deamons coming in to play his staff is growing in use.  

Wouldn't surprise me if get nerf faqs in future. 

If you use your legion in 40k play as well he shines when fight certain armies. 

He never fails when I field him always makes his points back and than some,  he does have downside like everything else but for what you get and what you pay for not many.  His pistol alone is 40 pt relic so after you factor in the free physic abilities he is well worth the cost. 

How does the navigator fare in an alpha legion army? Looking to put one in a tac blob with my praetor.

I have had good success running him, for his points he does offer up a lot. But need to be hidden because he will die to just about anything. His powers are strong and not being a having a down side to failing them or no way for them to be stopped its win/win. HIs lidless stare is :cussing great against robots failing about 50% marine failed it in 30% range.

With more and more deamons coming in to play his staff is growing in use.

Wouldn't surprise me if get nerf faqs in future.

If you use your legion in 40k play as well he shines when fight certain armies.

He never fails when I field him always makes his points back and than some, he does have downside like everything else but for what you get and what you pay for not many. His pistol alone is 40 pt relic so after you factor in the free physic abilities he is well worth the cost.

Ran him tonight vs tau and deleted a riptide with him turn one. Unfortunately some unit arrangment mistakes cost him his life.

Can we take more than one? For 65 pts (with the 4++ invuln if its worth it) he would be a great addition.

As of the 7th edition faq for 40k core rules, models without infiltrate cannot set up with infiltrators and vice versa; and with the way infiltrate works during deployment, you always deploy via infiltrate, regardless of whether you choose to or not.

This means that if you run a list designed to mess with them (such as the RoW), he must go with a unit in a DT.

As of the 7th edition faq for 40k core rules, models without infiltrate cannot set up with infiltrators and vice versa; and with the way infiltrate works during deployment, you always deploy via infiltrate, regardless of whether you choose to or not.

This means that if you run a list designed to mess with them (such as the RoW), he must go with a unit in a DT.

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

I never looked in to taking more than one. However he isn't a named special CH so I don't see that posing an issues, check with agent of imperium rules they might have a restrictions.

I have placed him a scouting LR with destroyers, and tossing Dyant from time to time. Very point heavy unit but can hold it own, and good support system having either headhunters near by, or tac sq. Requires a little bit of planning, and loosing out on  Dyant CC power for turn or two but it can be effective.