[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

Totally correct on that, i thought that S of weapond was higher.

the deep strike option in 40k with drop site massacre up grade from IA 2 will make for nice surprise. If the missle applied D3 Wounds they would own flyrants and other FMC.

I'm surprised it doesn't have vector dancer to be honest. I'm not sure about the points though seems a little steep.

I've found something that's reasonably useful during last nights game though; according to the 7th edition rulebook. Because pivoting happens during the movement phase, you can deep strike out of the Deredeo's/Mortis' Line of Sight, fire away, and because 7th edition refers to "turn" as being explicitly player turn unless otherwise noted, you can Jink when they return fire in their next turn.

The Anvillus is just about becoming useful once again; just keep it out of reach/sight of any Interceptor infantry Lascannons/Melta's/IF Autocannons as well, as it's forced to DS in Hover mode.

In regards to the performance of the Xiphon, it was quite happy to sit at stand off range and unleash its missile launcher, where it plinked away wounds. Combined with recently released Dynat, it was able to destroy Sicaran (+1 to Vehicle damage), and AP2 with D3 rolls got me 3 rolls, a 2, 3 and 5 resulting in "splodes". That 60" range is pretty decent.

Still not sure why Dynat doesn't have a Paragon Blade, and only 3 attacks. So much for "Weapon Mastery". 

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

It has agile which boost it jink to 3+, doesn't vactor dance do the same thing? It's point is about right imo, could go down by 10-15 which would making taking the ground tracking auguries worth it.

But the range it what makes it stand out, good call on dynat adding the +1 to damage, stacking that with either tank hunter or ground tracking would be nice boost.

Yeah dynat is little odd choice weapons, he should have a paragon blade or unqiue weapon, power sword doesn't do much against term and hammer will have him striking last. not seeing many things that would warrant spitting the Attacks up. If is weapons were on part like Red wake From IA9? That would be a better lay out.

Overall I feel out special characters are more gear towards buffing the army and not being beatsticks them selfs. Which is kinda cool and fits the legion better. Yeah it sucks when our named ch get beat by other legion characters or generic made guys. But over all get more out of adding them to our list than just the rule of cool.

Yup; Vector Dancer gives you a second 90 degree pivot at the end of your movement; essentially allowing a zooming flyer (normally only limited to one single one at the start of the turn up to 90 degrees) to move, then change the direction to hit something normally out of arc of its weapons. If that doesn't scream Interceptor (wherein dogfighting, that which turns quickest wins, supposedly), I don't know what will. That will at least make it seem worth its points cost.

Tank Hunters sadly doesn't affect it, as it's lacking a Battle Servitor Control option; the Ground Tracking Auguries gives it Strafing Run (BS5), and it doesn't have Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion) for Tank Hunters, or Armillus Dynat; we were playing him incorrectly (forgot our books); it's only Dreadnoughts and Legiones Astartes, so that tactic doesn't work. He can give it BS5 with the Cognis-Signum if necessary, but for it to be within range is unlikely. 

My mistake on vector dance I though it boost the jink save not giving it another pivot move.

:cuss I was 2 for 2 on rules lol, confusing ground tracking for battel servitor control. Looks like I'm reading rules today.

would his trait work if you take a drop assault list? says units cant be included if they cant deepstrike in some way, not sure if that means when making the list or if you can give it to them via dynat and still be good.

I take a drop pod assault tank hunters list to deep strike Praevian with Darkfire Castellax. RAW it is legal.RAI? Who knows?

In game, it is DSing accurately 5 Monstrous Creatures with BS5 (thanks to the cognis signum) with a 2 shot s7 ap2 lance tank hunting weapon with a further +1 to damage rolls.

In larger games taking 5 can crack open Spartans or Super Heavies.

I take a drop pod assault tank hunters list to deep strike Praevian with Darkfire Castellax. RAW it is legal.RAI? Who knows?

In game, it is DSing accurately 5 Monstrous Creatures with BS5 (thanks to the cognis signum) with a 2 shot s7 ap2 lance tank hunting weapon with a further +1 to damage rolls.

In larger games taking 5 can crack open Spartans or Super Heavies.

Lol, that implies you take this unit for smaller games?! O.o

Heh, not in such size. I limit myself to 2, and don't bother with Flamers to save points.

Dynat+Power Dagger

Praevian, Bolter (longest ranged weapon available for best Preferred Enemy chance), 2x Castellax, 2x Darkfire Cannons

Headhunters x9, x3 Combi-Plasma, Heavy Bolter with Suspensor and Banestrikes, Prime with Power Fist replacing Bolt Pistol, Drop Pod

This comes in at about 850pts. Drop Pod comes down first turn, dudes all fire out if within range because Open Topped. Preferred Enemy Infantry Combi-Plasmas melts things like Palatine Blades or Templars which have their transport popped by Dual Grav Dreads (Preferred Enemy Plasma with BS5 = 6 Dead 2+ Saves. Preferred Enemy Banestrike Bolters help finish up against MEQ's. As does the Phosphex Bomb (something I missed for about 5 games until it was pointed out by my opponent); which thanks to Preferred Enemy allowing a reroll to hit and Crawling Fire making me align it up to 2" basically means I get the chance of hitting the most number of models possible, while the Poisoned 3+ is made even more lethal by rerolling 1's to wound; it's also Ap2 which helps double against annoying Terminators if necessary. This squad goes through infantry like a Lightsabre through butter; and even should it encounter walkers or Primus Medicae Storm Shielded IF Stone Gauntlet/Salamander Firedrake Squads, it usually has the choice of whether to deploy there or not (and if it does, that same squad is then going to get torn apart by the Monstrous Creatures.

Dynat I think is one of the reasons that AL are  top tier with Night Lords (5+ Cover saves for the first turn, and being able to just mug enemy units with Terror Squads/Night Raptors) and Raven Guard (because this is the nearest you get to Codex: Space Marines playstyle, but with Infiltrate thrown in).

how about tactics for alpharius? he doesnt get infiltrate, so you cant deploy him with an infiltrating unit. if you want to get turn 1 preferred enemy, you can only scout him up alone or with a squad. alone means he'll be fairly easy to pick off with concentrated fire.

should he just be used with the hidden deployment, meaning he loses the chance to use his scout move.