4th Tarosian Regiment - Devildog

Here I thought my CPLT-C4 "Catapult" pattern Sentinel had a bit too much for missile launcher and hunter killer missile.

http://s11.postimg.org/yh0our0fn/CPLT_C4_Catapult_Sentinel.jpg

Looking at them, you could run an allied Tau detachment or just toss them into an Unbound list and use those Sentinels as Broadsides and the infantry as Firewarriors.  Just add an Ethereal, some sort of pulse weapon armed Guard officer as a Cadre Fireblade, or a Sentinel with Crisis armaments as a Commander if you wish to remain Battle-Forged. 

As I can run these as AoC - house rule - I think I'll take twenty Fire Warriors, two Broadsides and a Fireblade or even Darkstrider for now. The ten man squads suits the Guardsmen ideal squad size quite nicely.

Okay, small update. I managed to get some pictures of the completed Scions squad, after I realised that the picture I posted in the OP was an old WIP pic!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140610_22_04_45_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140610_22_04_27_Pro.jpg

Also got the basic colours down on my Veteran Lascannon team. You know how nice it is as a Tau player to go to an army that can put anti-tank and anti-elite firepower in its Troops? I would kill for even a Rail Rifle or two in my Fire Warrior squads!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140610_22_39_47_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140610_22_40_21_Pro.jpg

mean sure there is some concern about how to best incorporate heavy rail gun technology into the Codex Astartes as it was encountered after Guilliman was put into stasis by Fulgrim to prevent him from dying and is now housed on Terra as a trophy.

Gulliman flavored ice cream anybody? in all seriousness though, you guardsmen puts mine to shame, I wish I could paint like that....mellow.png

I was debating making some Drone-guided Heavy Weapons teams, - to save on Guardsmen bitz and use up some spare parts on the sprues - but I'm on the fence on how accepting of AI humans could be. That, and Drones rarely have a BS better than 2, so it wouldn't line up with the BS3/4 you'd see...

Actually, I think it would depend on how indoctrinated the Gue'vesa have become; those who have been with a Cadre for years would probably shrug and go *Drones is Drones...*. Those more newly.. converted.. might be a bit superstitious .

Equally though, I don't imagine that your typical Imperial Citizen or solider thinks or knows about AI to be wary or afraid of it; it's Tech Heresy remember, which is the AM's area of jurisdiction.

Finally, are Drones true AI? I believed they were simply programmed with no ability to learn.

Drones are referred to as AIs with limited learning capabilities and self-preservation protocols in the Tau Codex. However, I think Juan has a fair point in that the average Guardsmen and Imperial citizen is probably so ignorant that they don't even know what an AI is, (knowing would probably be tech heresy punishable by death.)

While I don't think I'll have Drones in the squads, I think that Drone-Guided weapon emplacements could work for the more veteran units. After all, it would be easy for Tau to rig up a simple targeting AI that can attach to an Autocannon and fire the trigger when it spots an enemy, for example. Maybe I could even have a Veteran with Binoculars, representing him pointing out potential targets to the, "Machine Spirit?"

Drones are referred to as AIs with limited learning capabilities and self-preservation protocols in the Tau Codex. However, I think Juan has a fair point in that the average Guardsmen and Imperial citizen is probably so ignorant that they don't even know what an AI is, (knowing would probably be tech heresy punishable by death.) While I don't think I'll have Drones in the squads, I think that Drone-Guided weapon emplacements could work for the more veteran units. After all, it would be easy for Tau to rig up a simple targeting AI that can attach to an Autocannon and fire the trigger when it spots an enemy, for example. Maybe I could even have a Veteran with Binoculars, representing him pointing out potential targets to the, "Machine Spirit?"

Actually you could "Tau" style some Servitors for Drones in your army.

I find Servitors a bit too creepy, personally. Lobotomised slaves? Nope, sorry, can't hack that.

Managed to build two Lascannon teams to mop up the last of my Guardsmen models. Cheated below to get more out of the kit with the spare bases I had for it. The second squad on the Lascannon has had a bit of a tragedy. The models are just sitting in place right now as after painting that first Lascannon, I realised that it'd be much easier to break it up into bits to paint first. Looking forward to using some Blood For The Blood God to make a scene of tragic, bloody death that would make George RR Martin smile!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140611_22_35_21_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140611_22_37_43_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140611_22_37_56_Pro.jpg

Drone Auto-Mortars Xenotech removed by order of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Reason: Xenotech heresy.

Verdict: Guilty.

Sentence: Conversion to a Servitor.

All praise to the Machine God.

I'm debating whether to base it on my Tau scheme, or my Guard scheme. Perhaps a blend of both, but my Greyscale Tau nightfighting scheme would clash with the desert camo look I'm doing most likely.

I think I might just paint it in similar colours to the rest of the regiment if I'm honest, for the sake of completeness if nothing else.

Hmmm, that seems like a good idea. I think the Drone could look pretty cool in the Taros colours as well, and keep the gun itself very metallic, as I tend to do with Imperial weaponry.

The main colour on the tanks and Guardsmen's armour? That's two parts Tau Light Ochre to one part Runefang Steel. Runefang Steel doping seems to be a good way of subduing and "pastel-ising" colours from what I've tested.

Lovin this thread. I also experimented with Tau, Gue' vesa reinforcements for my ,Tau.  Keep it goin. You know you could use priest to represent  ,Ethereals, or as Commisars. You could use lighter colors to represent the Ethereal. Whites light blues.

Very nice. The yellow is definitely done very well, so I approve.

The Pulse Rifles fit well, but at times, it might be a lil too long. Might I recommend arming future models with Pulse Carbines instead? They might look more wieldy for a human.

Also, the fire warrior pad can be a bit large for the Cadian scale. I notice the old GW article used catachan pieces, which are essentially Space Marine model size without armor. Perhaps Catachan pieces might help scale things out. Althought I wonder how the Scion models would look with some Fire Warrior pieces.

Otherwise, keep up the great work! Definitely unique, and this is the prolly the first time I see a Tau Auxiliarry army of such size and quality. Can't wait to see the entire army arranged!

I'm not a very super fluff nazi , but i'd raise an eyebrow when seeing your army, esspecially the scions...i mean...scions together with xenos armed heretics? Not really happening i think.

They look good , dont get me wrong (could use a highlight more here and there) but if you want to be concistent remove all imperial heraldry and adjust the flak armour to be more Tau like.

I'm not a very super fluff nazi , but i'd raise an eyebrow when seeing your army, esspecially the scions...i mean...scions together with xenos armed heretics? Not really happening i think.

They look good , dont get me wrong (could use a highlight more here and there) but if you want to be concistent remove all imperial heraldry and adjust the flak armour to be more Tau like.

Scions have been fairly underwhelming for me anyway, I bought them because they looked pretty and originally hoped to convert them into Jump Pack counts-as Vespid. Sadly the awkward assembly they have made that impossible, combined with the Allies nerf that Xeno armeis suffered.

As far as fluff, they have a pretty mediocre Leadership of 7 on the tabletop, which I found surprising for orphans raised from birth to revere the Imperium. Plus, I don't think there's any faction that universally and absolutely abhors the enemy, even Space Marines regularly move to Chaos, and Imperial armies change sides on various conflicts constantly, siding with Genestealer Cults, rebel Governers, Chaos, and in this example, the Tau.

Also, if I integrated Tau parts into their design, I wouldn't be allowed to post them here.

Lovin this thread. I also experimented with Tau, Gue' vesa reinforcements for my ,Tau.  Keep it goin.

I aim to please. My more heretical designs will now be moved over to Advanced Tau Tactica and Second Sphere, I'll link to them as and when they are made.

Very nice. The yellow is definitely done very well, so I approve.

The Pulse Rifles fit well, but at times, it might be a lil too long. Might I recommend arming future models with Pulse Carbines instead? They might look more wieldy for a human.

Also, the fire warrior pad can be a bit large for the Cadian scale. I notice the old GW article used catachan pieces, which are essentially Space Marine model size without armor. Perhaps Catachan pieces might help scale things out. Althought I wonder how the Scion models would look with some Fire Warrior pieces.

Otherwise, keep up the great work! Definitely unique, and this is the prolly the first time I see a Tau Auxiliarry army of such size and quality. Can't wait to see the entire army arranged!

Thanks for the advice and praise! I'm not sure about using Catachans, as Cadians feel a lot closer to the "Human Fire Warrior" look I was going for. The guys with Pulse Rifles are going to be scrubbed and repainted to fit in with the rest of the army. The problem with using Pulse Carbines is that I'd prefer to have things fairly WYSIWYG, and Rifles are superior to Carbines in almost every way. However, Rule of Cool will win out above all, so I'll try out a couple of each and see how I'll build the next batch.

For now, I've just finished a bunch of Special Weapons to scatter amongst my units. There's an element of proxying going on right now, as I've only got one of each weapon stolen from the Command Squad sprues and attached to some armless Cadians I EBay'd. One each of a Melta, Plasma, Sniper, Flamer, 'Nade Launcher and Heavy Flamer! 

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-75.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-79.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-77.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-76.jpg

Tried out some barrel scorching, plus a little more delicate touches to get these done quickly and cleanly. The Plasma Gunner suitably represents my habit of rolling 1s. I think some highlight work is still on the agenda, but for now they're Tabletop Ready!

Leadership is difficult, and choosing a good leader even more so. They must be charismatic, with clear veteran status. They must command a presence and seem bold, brash and innovative. They must have a face that men can believe in, and follow unto their deaths.

This can only be accomplished by the Emperor-given gift that is, the moustache:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140619_22_54_45_Pro.jpg

As soon as I saw that face on the Scion sprue, I knew my Company Commander had to have those magnificent whiskers. The original build had the Servo Skull extra from the Scions kit entwined around the staff he's holding in a suitably epic way, but said Servo Skull is incredibly fragile and thus kept snapping off. :(

Some highlight work still to be done, especially on that glorious 'stache, but I'm finished for tonight and thus he's being posted for critiques if anyone has 'em! :)

Archived