4th Tarosian Regiment - Devildog

I should be getting more boots on the ground fairly soon, and I'll be throwing on a Platoon Command Squad to let me finally try Platoons out and bulk out my Infantry.

After that, it's Wyvern, Hellhound, or cool Dragonfly-Vulture Proxy. I'm leaning hard towards Vulture, then Wyvern, then possibly the Hellhound.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/temporary-84.jpg

Much work has been done on the second-hand Russ I got a while back, though much is still to be done. Its buddy the Executioner is waiting on me to get some superglue and add some extra bitz to break up the flat areas. Gotta be honest, I really prefer the plastic Russ turrets to the FW ones here.

Further progress was made on the Demolisher and eight more Guardsmen. The Guardsmen are finished, with a slightly lighter skin tone to provide some variety to my squads. The Demolisher is still waiting on more highlight, washing and weathering work, but is at least Tabletop Ready:

Was quite fun converting up the Demolisher from a second-hand model to seem like a slightly cobbled-together relic of the regiment. I'm going to try some pretty intense weathering on it, to make it look aged and well-worn. The Guardsmen have a smattering of bits from the Command Squad and Heavy Weapons Teams sprues. Mixes them up quite nicely and gives them some needed variety on the table. Looking forward to getting a tonne more!

Got a couple of games against Orks this week. One was a match at 1500pts against a Stompa, and ended in a victory for me after my Veterans charged it with Meltabombs and brought it down in a turn of combat after it was weakened by fire, (and died doing so.) Was a very fun game in which I was trying to prove Superheavies aren't unbeatable to the manager, so that he wouldn't ban them. After the Stompa dropped, the rest of my firepower simply mopped up what little forces he had left. My other game was a much more standard 2Kpts affair, though I did trial a pair of Vultures with T-L Punishers, and tried out running a 2-Wyvern Squadron.

The double Wvern ate entire Ork squads at a time, it was brutal. The Vultures were squadroned to put out 40 Punisher shots, T-L at BS4 against ground targets. The things also erased squads, normally scoring 36-37 hits and drowning the squad in dice. I'm now debating a pair of the buggers, they were that much fun to field. (I believe they'll be much less effective against the power armour most people here field anyway.)

Liking your report against orks. My sons orks brutalize me if I do not take him out before he can hit my lines... He's 11 and I try and optimize his list to be fast into CC, sometimes too good against my own list;)

I have 2 hydras I am going to chop the long guns from to run as wyvren as the rules are absolutely nasty for them! Vultures with punishers are my favorite even against PA as that many dice are just fun to roll... Against termis it's even better as 1's just seem to happen on a 5 man squad way too often.

Orks are very fun to play against, the last time I played this guy a week after the Codex dropped, I got massacred. This recent game was a much closer thing, though!

I've been losing a lot more than winning lately, but I'm getting more and more victories recently. Guard are very fun to play, and that's what's important to me anyway.

Last rites completed on the Demolisher, it got a fairly aggressive paint chipping job done on it. I'm looking into lots of tutorials and even weathering powders to try and nail the Sandstorm-Beaten look I really want some of these to have. 

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140727_22_44_21_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140727_22_44_07_Pro.jpg

Since my internet was sporadic today to say the least, I found myself with a lot of time for painting. A few hours later, I managed to finish a kitbashed Sergeant/Commander I'd made a while back. He's often the Tempestor for my Scions squad, as I forgot to make them one. I think he'd suit a Company Commander role if I went for a more up close 'n' fighty build, though:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140727_23_21_42_Pro.jpghttp://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140727_23_21_29_Pro.jpg

I think he may overtake my current overall Commander, and the original guy will be relegated to Platoon Commander once I get the ladz to make a Platoon up.

I'm actually running out of Guard to paint with these completions, only a Leman Russ, some Lascannon teams and the Drone Auto-Mortars left! (Sadly I've found Mortar teams too lacking to really field, especially with the Wyvern existing and all.)

Hoping to paint up the Lascannons next, then I'll be using my payday wages to grab another Hellhound or Wyvern, a Cadian Command squad and a pile of dudes to go with it. If I have enough spare after that, I'll probably grab a Dragonfly to use as a Vulture. happy.png

I think it's settled by popular vote, then! I'll be honest, I'm quite fond of how he turned out.

Next up will be the rest of my Lascannon teams I think. Should be getting a hefty load of reinforcements later in the week when payday comes around, mostly of the Infantry variety. The itch to get that blasted Dragonfly will probably get the best of me, though. It's gunna be a damn nice model to have pouring lead onto my enemies.

Just received a package from a benevolent benefactor, which was chock-full of Guardsmen and some spare bitz to make yet more Guardsmen! (Not sure if they want me mentioning who it was, as they were kind enough to send them for free and I'm not sure they'll have enough for everyone!)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140731_18_05_22_Pro.jpg

I also purchased a Valkyrie which will be built with Multi-Laser and MRPs. I'll post a pic of it soon, should finish building it tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my Carapace Veterans done tonight with these new troops, as I've got a spare Fire Warriors box from which the torsos will do nicely!

Emperor's biscuits! Would that we all had such a generous benefactor! laugh.png After such kindness you'll surely be painting them up without delay right? msn-wink.gif

Indeed, I'm going to be building most of them tonight, I've got the bitz box ready to convert up a Demolitions Grenadiers squad to leap out of my Valkyrie and end things that bother me. The rest will probably mostly be Lasgun Guardsmen with a few using the Meta and Plasma Guns kindly supplied. :)

The rank-and-file soldiers are going to take a while with all those aquilas to shave off!

Well, started on the Carapace Demolitions Vets today. The Sergeant, two Meltaguns and a normal Lasgun are assembled. Was a bit of a pain cutting and gluing together parts to make this, especially the legs. Took me two hours to make these four! (Alcohol didn't help.)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140802_00_36_39_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140802_00_37_08_Pro.jpg

They need some green stuffing around the join between the legs and the boots, to hide the crappy join a little and help graduate the size of the boot, which seems a bit cartoonishly big compared to the slender Tau legs. Overall I quite like this look, though.

I would definitely focus the gs work on the front of the legs, as right now they look a little recurve/reverse joint. But these hold huge promise. Because of the shape of the legs, you may want to try lining up the backs of the bits and gsing the fronts to increase the apparent knee angle to match that of te angle created by the foot and the thigh. (which is creating what I see as a recurve effect). Although I'm not sure how much I would notice any of this on a table.

It's only when looking up close that you notice the awkward anatomy of the legs, as far as I can tell. A little GS work to smooth out the edge between the boots and legs would go a long way to fix this, IMO. I've built the rest of the 10 man squad now, totalling 3 Meltaguns. It'll be run alongside my new Valkyrie with the Grenadiers and Demolitions doctrines, a Boltgun on the Sergeant and 3 Meltaguns. This squad has really done well for me so far, with them killing a Wolf Lord on Overwatch, killing a Wolf Guard Terminator with the Boltgun and another in CQC, shortly after killing a Rhino upon dropping in. Tonnes of fun to play, and I can't wait to paint them up:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140802_22_31_43_Pro.jpg

Definitely need some work to the legs to make them work, but other than that I think they came out fairly well. There was some cut 'n' shut with Astartes weapon parts to get them fully equipped, as I was lacking a third Meltagun and a Bolter. The Meltabomb was also stolen from a Tac Marine kit. 

Their trusty steed - that got shot down immediately after dropping them off when my opponent got lucky with a Lascannon Razorback - is the below, with two Multiple Rocket Pods and a Multi-Laser for mopping up light Infantry after dropping the cargo. Hoping to try them out against Orks soon with this loadout.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140802_22_30_53_Pro.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140802_22_30_39_Pro.jpg

I stole the ramp gunner idea from someone, though I can't currently remember who it was! Landing Ramp is secured with two spare Hydra Autocannon barrels I didn't need after playtesting the Wyvern, and I immediately regretted leaving the ramp open as now it demands painting! Hoping to start painting this immediately as I really fell in love with the model and can't wait to get it Tabletop Ready for play. A friend is letting me use their Forge World Masterclass books for some tips too, and I've been reading the Valkyrie/Vulture sections for tips on improving my weathering techniques. Also looking up C130s and the like from Afghanistan and other desert theatres to get the camo looking right as well. Hopefully I'll have pics of some progress before the weekend's...end.

Squad look awesome and the valk looks great too.

The ramp gunner idea is mine, though I used a heavy stubber from a chimera kit.

What rules for the gunner are you going to use?

For desert camo, try GW1 from UK as they didn't bother repainting anything for GW2 and Afghan and left the Hercs in a mixture of green and grey. (They went green after a major servicing and had parts swapped around until then having some very mixed up scrap looking aircraft).......

Archived