Bannockburn's hobby projects - 5th Company, DW, and more

Go to solution Solved by Cpt. Bannockburn,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have painted little plastic men. With these additions, my DW army is only 3 DW Knights (those guys are basecoated and shaded, so playable, just not pretty) short of fully painted 1850 points :smile.: I'm aiming to play them during the Fate of Konor thingy. When I paint up the DW Champion, it will be 2000 points, and after that, I'll update my Apothecary and the Ancient!

They all still need a coating of matte varnish and gloss varnish on lenses and the like, and the primaris marine still needs his decals, but I'll get to that after I've finished the last 3 knights.

First of all, here are better (still not good, even with work cam; photographer is still shoddy, and the light was bad today) pictures of the primaris test mini:

primaris_front-e1500017811994.jpg

primaris_back.jpg

Then I've finished another one of the mightiest models of any given DA army:

witd-e1500017894285.jpg

A bog standard terminator, needed to fill out my army. Yes, the model is indeed from that ages old box set for 5th Edition, Battle for Black Reach

terminator_front-e1500017923253.jpg

terminator_back-e1500017931665.jpg

I've also finished a plasma cannon wielding terminator:

plas_right-e1500017941492.jpg

plas_front-e1500017996604.jpg

plas_left-e1500017951279.jpg

plas_back-e1500018003775.jpg

And here's the Knight Master for my converted DW Knights. I seriously dislike the flail, so he gets a halberd instead of that.

km_right-e1500018019115.jpg

km_front-e1500018036133.jpg

km_left-e1500018026152.jpg

km-back-e1500018011869.jpg

Finally, a group shot:

group.jpg

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

Thank you!

Yes, it's highlighted. It's just the camera, or rather, the lighting. The lightbox I use is normally in a great place for natural light, but this morning it was rainy and grey, and I didn't have time to build the full setup with auxiliary lamps.

Awesome work Capt! Your creams and bone are solid. Like GRC said, great blending and highlighting. Nice to see Big Birds coming along too

...still loving those power weapons

Here's what I've been busy with.

There are still 2 models unfinished (TT standard, but not up to snuff for the rest): one knight, and the DW champion.

Other than that, here's a preview of 2000pts Deathwing. Please excuse the blur in the front. 

dw_preview_2k.jpg

Belial

Interrogator Chaplain

Apothecary

Champion

Ancient

2 Terminator squads

1 Knight squad

2 Venerable Dreadnoughts

1 Land Raider Crusader

I'm still not completely finished, since I've built new models for the apothecary and the ancient, but this will do for now. Once the remaining two models are finished, I'll power through the interior of the Thunderhawk, so I can finally glue the nose on and have it in two removable subassemblies for painting. I've already done a color test on one of the attack wings, and it's looking pretty neat, I think. 

Some more stuff finished.

I forgot to take photos of him yesterday, so here's the first Intercessor, complete with decals and varnish

intercessor_final.jpg

And a Primaris Lieutenant I'm painting up to test on the battlefield. He may see action today. Still missing decals and varnish, of course.

lt_1.jpglt_2.jpg

Great work Captain!

I must confess I have not looked at your thread since it started, I'm loving that you have joined the big bird club, cudos and extra cudos for staying positive, it's a hell of a project and a lot of learning all rolled into one. And the LEDs... :tu:

Now, get to work you slacker ;)

:D

Stobz

This is me, slacking.

The lower deck interior is finished, and the flight deck almost so. Once the flight deck is done, I can glue the pilots in, and then permanently connect the LEDs to the power source.

After that ... It's epoxy time. 

I'll get some pictures your way when I'm not painting at night, i.e. in better light.

Man, I love your DW force, really nice highlights and shading.

There is actually no such thing as slacking when it comes to building a THawk, they are a hell of a lot of work. Again, cudos to you on so many levels.

Thank you!

There's slacking and there's slacking. In my case, slacking on the Beast, due to burnout because of its massive scale meant finally finishing my DW army.

But now I'm back in the saddle and here are the promised pictures. Sorry for them being washed out, my phone cam isn't the best and the weather this morning was grey.

First, the almost finished flight deck. As usual, when I took the picture, I noticed a few spots that still need to be detailed. Also, gloss varnish for the multitude of screens (which look much better in person than on this picture). Weathering is light, and basically just a wash followed by drybrush. Sure, I want the interior painted to show it off, but most of the time, the upper fuselage will be closed. So ... meh. 

flight_deck_1.jpg

Next, we have the lower deck. It's finished, and I decided to go light on details and weathering. This part will be hardly visible, even with the LEDs installed.

lower_deck.jpg

And finally, I worked a bit more on the interior of the assault ramp, since I wasn't content with the grating. Now it looks better I think. This part is heavily weathered, because I figure it would see the most use. It's a bit lighter IRL, but you get the gist, I think.

assault_ramp2.jpg

Some more work on the nose cone is necessary before I can glue that on, but on the weekend I plan to install the LEDs and glue down the flight deck at least. Maybe I'll get the nose done as well.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

Here's an update!

Please excuse the poor lighting once more, it's evening. Also, the LEDs are ... pretty bright. Didn't expect them to be that bright!

Anyways. The interior is done, and now the nose cone is attached and the epoxy needs to dry. This basically means that the next step is priming the exterior! Will keep you posted, but my next week is pretty busy. We'll see what I can do.

glow_3.jpg

glow_2.jpg

What's this? Another update? Yep.

Beast's primed now. All is coming together prettily.

primed_1.jpg

primed_2.jpg

Next steps: A bit of pre-shading (pre-highlighting?) in white, then a basecoat in green, then the belly gets some detailing done, then the landing gear will be attached permanently.

Probably the last update for the Beast this week, and its a bad picture.

But it's green now. So there's that. You can't see it, but the pre-highlighting worked out pretty well, with a subtle effect. I'm pleased, but the main body of work starts now.

green.jpg

Slow down, slow down, these things take time, slow down and enjoy the build, no need to rush, be patient, smell the roses, there are years ahead of you for completing this, slow down, relax, you could do it later, think of all the other projects you could do, slow down, chill out, just cruise, breathe.

And slow down, you're making me look terrible :P ;)

Apparently, I'm on a roll.

Nope, not the Beast today.

Some other little project I've started to slooooooow doooooown a bit on that front.

dt_neph_cockpit_1.jpg

It's going to be a magnetized DT/Nephilim and this is the first step in painting it. The cockpit will be sealed once the upper pilot body is done.

I've already constructed a plasticard thingy to hold the rift cannon in place and started construction on another thingamabob to make the hurricane bolters / blacksword missiles exchangeable.

The jet is not built yet, so I'll see what I'll do about the ornaments once I'm at this step.