Bannockburn's hobby projects - 5th Company, DW, and more

Go to solution Solved by Cpt. Bannockburn,

Thanks for the suggestion, I dislike the red on green (which my army's right shoulderpads always are, so I went with a white veteran decal on the test mini. For the others, I'll probably use the white outlines.

ZBHrnZ3.jpg 4w2D9Bd.jpg

Test mini is almost done, but it's still gloss varnished from an oil pinwash, so it looks really shiny right now. 

I also primed the Lion in multiple parts and started with the outer cloak's interior 

hx5xdfn.jpg

9 hours ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

I love all of your DA model pics, but I'm wondering how you painted your Stormraven? Caliban Green spray, or brush on, or another company's paint?

Thanks.

Thanks! I appreciate your appreciating my stuff :-)

Regarding your question about the Stormraven: I have some (terrible) pictures from 2015, and I think I painted it even earlier, but I don't really remember how I painted it. I think it must have been black primer, brush on Caliban Green (or maybe I even had Dark Angels Green still then), wash with Nuln Oil, then soft drybrushing and edge highlighting. 

ttfhGj3.jpg

d1cEyl2.jpg

ldkKvUz.jpg

Now that I see it again, I think it looks a bit bare. I should probably go back at some point and put on some transfers and / or weathering.

Not that I ever put it on a tabletop ;-)

QI2eK5P.jpg

T5UvxyJ.jpg

jAQmPWR.jpg

Test miniature is done, including basing and weathering. I do like it, but I've identified a few things I'll do differently for Lion El'Jonson himself. This is good enough for his bodyguard unit, though, I think. 

vV5hVHt.jpg

Rest of the squad is close to the finish line. A bit of detail work and highlights left, then weathering and basing. Not sure yet about the power swords, but I think I'll do them in my old style, except the deactivated one.

image.thumb.png.71806cb4d66bf8092aea435afd2c6677.png

7QTV1NM.jpg

I primed the Repulsor, but it will be some time until I tackle it. Apparently my airbrush has some issues and I need to sort it out.

P7e9jpf.jpg

These guys are almost finished. I glosscoated them in prep for decals and oil wash, after that it's only detail work, weathering and basing. 

Maybe I can get them done tomorrow, which means I'll start with the Primarch himself next week.

Terrible photo is terrible, but you get the idea.

qNJYAAD.jpg

The squad is finished, and I only need to wait for the pigment fixer to dry, and then I can add some more base decoration, like tufts, leaves, moss and flowers.

Thank you!

They're done now:

ES2eeX0.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how they came out.

Next project: 

SbOkpjj.jpg

Finished the sculpted base today, and started on the armor. The heads are all magnetized and will be painted so I can change them depending on mood. The Watchers will probably be kept on separate bases, since I don't want this one too busy, and I may want to do a diorama later to slot everyone in.

7bJiNZl.jpg

Armor's getting there. Finished with the tint, now it needs highlights. 

Next step, however is the gold. It rubbed off a lot, so I'll have to reapply, then shade and highlight.

hRKYs8H.jpg

Tonk.

First time airbrushing something this big other than priming / basecoating.

I think it turned out pretty good. It'll get a sharper edge highlight all around, and then the green tint. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:55 AM, Cpt. Bannockburn said:

Thanks! I appreciate your appreciating my stuff :-)

Regarding your question about the Stormraven: I have some (terrible) pictures from 2015, and I think I painted it even earlier, but I don't really remember how I painted it. I think it must have been black primer, brush on Caliban Green (or maybe I even had Dark Angels Green still then), wash with Nuln Oil, then soft drybrushing and edge highlighting. 

ttfhGj3.jpg

d1cEyl2.jpg

ldkKvUz.jpg

Now that I see it again, I think it looks a bit bare. I should probably go back at some point and put on some transfers and / or weathering.

Not that I ever put it on a tabletop ;-)

I absolutely love it!

I've been sitting on a Stormraven that I primed Chaos Black and magnetized the gun turret, but thats it. I was trying to decide to make it either battle company green or deathwing bone? I REALLY love yours done in green! I think you made my decision for me :) ... I have a ton of DA bits, I can do it exactly as yours is done!

Thanks for telling me how you painted it. I'm gonna copy that process. 

WWsaesO.jpg

ImKlapE.jpg

vyfMbwu.jpg

CSvGPXi.jpg

Almost done, the rest, apart from the sword, is detail work, such as metallic highlights, weathering, and basing.

First time I tried NMM on the cloak embroidery, and I think it turned out okay.

Today's update: metal.

That makes the tank technically battle ready, but I hope I can manage some more for Saturday's Crusade intro game.

Ou7RVy0.jpg

Not quite done yet, but all the steel is undercoated at least. I may do some more red today, too.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

Basically the same way I did the Bladeguard and the Lion's armour:

- Light grey primer

- Black Templar Contrast

- Edge highlights with first (Dark Reaper Lion) Thunderhawk Blue, then Fenrisian grey

- 4:1 Contrast medium : DA Green

- Edge highlights with 2:1:1 Sons of Horus Green : Rakarth Flesh : Krieg Khaki

- Edge highlights with 2:2:2:1 Sons of Horus Green : Rakarth Flesh : Krieg Khaki : White

For the tank, instead I did:

- Black primer

- Airbrush Corvus Black

- Airbrush Dark Reaper

- Airbrush highlights Thunderhawk Blue

- Edge Highlights with Fenrisian Grey

- Airbrush tint with similarly thinned DA Green Contrast

I finished the oil dot filter today, next step will be gloss coat, decals, oil recess wash, then highlights as above, just sponged on instead.

Cc2hAc2.jpg

My Crusade force, @1380pts. I may need to power through and get the Techmarine to battle ready until Saturday. The Lion is now finished, barring the power sword which I'm still undecided on.