[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

Salamanders Preators are pretty much the best in the game. 2+/3++/EW/Sweeping ability.

Or downside is that they aren't going to sweep anything with their lack of bonus to it.

Good for deathstar units, but the problem is they are very pricey, and most of the time you would get a better function out of a named character who generally brings a few special rules/ choice equipment to the table.

So in light of the latest rules and being unable to combine SS with Tartaros armor, I'm thinking of going Cataphractii instead. I might try to model them after the Huscarls, which from the limited artwork I've found seem to be in Cataphractii armor. From a gaming standpoint they'll be slightly less mobile than the other variants and I'll lose overwatch altogether, but the points saved on the SS allow me to add more SS.

Any thoughts on this? Should I wait for a potential FAQ/errata on the Tartaros? Should I stick with Indomitus pattern TDA?

Thanks in advance.

Errata will probably not happen until the Legion book is reprinted to include the upcoming Legions. Your best bet will be when they release the Legion weapon upgrade packs, if they have pictures of Tartaros termites with shields on the official site, that will reopen this can of worms and they will have to address it.

So in light of the latest rules and being unable to combine SS with Tartaros armor, I'm thinking of going Cataphractii instead. I might try to model them after the Huscarls, which from the limited artwork I've found seem to be in Cataphractii armor. From a gaming standpoint they'll be slightly less mobile than the other variants and I'll lose overwatch altogether, but the points saved on the SS allow me to add more SS.

Any thoughts on this? Should I wait for a potential FAQ/errata on the Tartaros? Should I stick with Indomitus pattern TDA?

Thanks in advance.

Huscarls are in Indomitus Pattern TDA, if you read the last battle in Praetorian of Dorn it talks about this very briefly :)

Thanks in advance.

Huscarls are in Indomitus Pattern TDA, if you read the last battle in Praetorian of Dorn it talks about this very briefly :smile.:

Well...  There goes that idea.

Still will stick with either Tartaros or Cataphractii for my Heresy army.  I want something other than plain old TDA both for looks and gameplay.  Guess I'll wait and see when the shields come out and see how FW handles it.

I use them in 7 man squads. They are quite good. In combination with a Master of Signal an an AmmoDump in a Bunker they are very good at tank hunting.

See I'd only ever call them okay, as the big threats you are only ever glancing on 6s and you can't even hurt spartans from the front?

YMMV though.

So you'd recommend lascannons then?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't really recommend either lascannons or missiles.

Heavy support squads are very squishy, being no more sturdy than tactical marines.

Bare stock with heavy bolters, they are 135pts. With missile launchers or lascannons they are 160pts or 235pts respectively.

A laser destroyer vindicator is 130pts. It's more resilient, when amping the array for 3 shots, it will hit with just as many shots and do more damage per connected shot than either heavy support options. It can also scoot away from an incoming threat much more effectively if need be.

I suppose its 6 of 1 and Half a Dozen of the other and up to the player, and not everyone is always about UBER efficiency, but you can't argue with how good Laser Vindi's are!

I feel like the Fists in a bunker is a really cool and iconic unit though...

Heavy support squads are very squishy, being no more sturdy than tactical marines.

Bare stock with heavy bolters, they are 135pts. With missile launchers or lascannons they are 160pts or 235pts respectively.

A laser destroyer vindicator is 130pts. It's more resilient, when amping the array for 3 shots, it will hit with just as many shots and do more damage per connected shot than either heavy support options. It can also scoot away from an incoming threat much more effectively if need be.

The discussion here pertains to heavy support squads in an AV14 bunker, so they are more durable than the Vindicator, while having quite a bit more firepower.  Zero mobility, however, unless you add a hatch or something.

Just be aware that if you do use the Bunker Trick, that a Melta Lance Leviathan in a pod just might land beside it and nuke it to the High Heavens since 30k Buildings, iirc, can't take Armoured Ceramite.

or some other such shenanigans.

Edited by Slipstreams

i dislike the idea of bunker power marines being my anti tank , I like my Anti Tank to be mobile  like Venators and Knights and podding leviathan dreadnoughts. 

In my limited experience a lot of killing tanks  and knights has a lot to do with the appropriate angle to shoot them from.  A bunker makes this difficult , and sure you need to crack the bunker to get to the guys , but they arent able to really  reposition at all. 

The discussion here pertains to heavy support squads in an AV14 bunker, so they are more durable than the Vindicator, while having quite a bit more firepower.  Zero mobility, however, unless you add a hatch or something.

Oh I caught that. I can see the argument for the bunker being more durable, but a six man heavy support squad with lascannons costs more than two laser Vindicators before you even start to factor in the added cost of the bunker, ammo dump and whatevs else. Six lascannons, even with tank Hunter is appreciably less firepower than six twin linked laser destroyer shots.

The great about the bunker is it forces the opponent to commit some resources to deal with it.

No more resources than a single land raider would require, while having zero options for mobility or a cover save.

Don't get me wrong, a bunkered up lascannon squad can be alright in certain circumstances, but it's really similar to the Stormlord loaded with stuff shooting out of it; it's strong in a few situations, but it's a pretty big concentration of points that isn't super efficient, and has quite a few common hard counters.