[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

Assault marines work rather well now that they can get an Apothecary and Combat shield for what their old price would have been in the deal! Plus they are scoring and compulsory troops - always a plus.

As for support, a Chaplain is nice for Hatred, but he should probably be buffing your terminators with SS in combat or Templar Brethren etc. A Legion Champion could be a fun one too, with his re-rolls and higher WS + Master Crafted weapon.

In terms of a different unit? Well... One option is a command squad with jump packs. You sacrifice numbers for sheer killyness and survivability (2+ save!)

Or you could sacrifice some mobility for WS5 Vets? But we've been over how they pretty much cross over with Templar Brethren quite a lot already.

Following the significant points drop has anyone had the chance to re-evaluate assault marines now?

I think a squad of 15 with combat shields (mainly because they look cool but would still give a edge in terms of survivability), a support apothecary with a power sword, 2 power axes and a vet sergeant with, artificer armour , a power fist and melta bombs would provide either a useful counter attack squad for a gun line army or something that could threaten the enemies back field.

What (if any) character would you use to support them? Chaplain with artificer armour/ solarite power gauntlet?

Or do you think that their are other options that do the same job better/ cheaper?

Combat shields is an interesting discussion, and I am not sure it's worth 30-45 points for a unit worth of combat shields.  Against ranged death, those 6++ will only occasionally be a factor and you may be better off spending the points on just more dudes.  In melee, if you're fighting with something that has widespread ability to kill power armor, you probably already messed up.  I try to be a bully with my melee units, and go after stuff I know they will kill, so for assault marines that would mean tactical squads, support squads, marksmen veterans, etc. (from these models, the overwatch is scarier than the punches in melee, and your 1 in 5 powerswords should ensure victory). I do give a combat shield to the Sgt since he will be trading power fist blows with other Sgts, and that 5++ might make it swing in your favor.

Terminus,

I think you're right regarding com ant shields v more guys.

What are people's thoughts if I just modelled my guys with shields (because it would look cool) but just ran them as normal power armour (I.e. no 6++/5++) or is that pushing it and I just need to take the points hit?

Terminus,

I think you're right regarding com ant shields v more guys.

What are people's thoughts if I just modelled my guys with shields (because it would look cool) but just ran them as normal power armour (I.e. no 6++/5++) or is that pushing it and I just need to take the points hit?

This really depends on your gaming group, we usually allow this and any friend should be fine, but in a tournament it could cause you problems.

Has FW answered any emails about Phalanx Warders being able to be used as troops for Stone Gauntlet ROW? :smile.:

sorry for all the random questions, I am just building a variety of lists atm, and have a MILLION questions!!

Edited by AfroCampbell

Phalanx Warders have always been able to be used as troops just as non-compulsories in TSG. Its never been ambiguous or confusing just a change we've wanted for playability and unless they change the actual RoW in the new Legion Specific Book, nothing's changed.

If you want Phalanx Warders Troop, use Dorn or Hammerfall (I hate it).

Edited by Slipstreams

Phalanx Warders have always been able to be used as troops just as non-compulsories in TSG. Its never been ambiguous or confusing just a change we've wanted for playability and unless they change the actual RoW in the new Legion Specific Book, nothing's changed.

If you want Phalanx Warders Troop, use Dorn or Hammerfall (I hate it).

I see! thanks so much, I thought that might be the case, a bit of an oversight by FW in my opinion, it would have made the PW squads so much more useful, oh well. 

Having read through this entire thread ( confusing myself multiple times ), I'm rather glad I have yet to build any of my VII.

So far, I have in my collection dedicated to this particular project ( all in parts ):

1 Alexis Polux

10 Tartaros Terminators ( with everything )

10 Cataphractii Terminators ( with everything )

2 Deimos Rhinos

2 Rogue Trade era Rhinos ( Thinking of converting them into two Whirlwind Scorpius after I bulk them up and make them interchangeable into two more Deimos Rhinos )

3 Land Raider Achilles

2 Spartan Assault Tanks

60 Tactical Marines

20 MkIV Jump Packs ( I may just give those to my IIIrd as those would do better in my Mara Skara list )

All the miscellaneous weapons from two Betrayal at Calth box sets.

I have enough parts to build almost anything ( extensive bits collection, plus I have trading fodder for anything else I may need amongst the other players in my area ), I'm tempted to make a Stone Gauntlet list. Outside of picking up a ton of Boarding Shields, what else should I pick up to make a fluffy Stone Gauntlet list? I think my VII will be within 2,500 to 3,000 points.

Having read through this entire thread ( confusing myself multiple times ), I'm rather glad I have yet to build any of my VII.

So far, I have in my collection dedicated to this particular project ( all in parts ):

1 Alexis Polux

10 Tartaros Terminators ( with everything )

10 Cataphractii Terminators ( with everything )

2 Deimos Rhinos

2 Rogue Trade era Rhinos ( Thinking of converting them into two Whirlwind Scorpius after I bulk them up and make them interchangeable into two more Deimos Rhinos )

3 Land Raider Achilles

2 Spartan Assault Tanks

60 Tactical Marines

20 MkIV Jump Packs ( I may just give those to my IIIrd as those would do better in my Mara Skara list )

All the miscellaneous weapons from two Betrayal at Calth box sets.

I have enough parts to build almost anything ( extensive bits collection, plus I have trading fodder for anything else I may need amongst the other players in my area ), I'm tempted to make a Stone Gauntlet list. Outside of picking up a ton of Boarding Shields, what else should I pick up to make a fluffy Stone Gauntlet list? I think my VII will be within 2,500 to 3,000 points.

Just a random thought to note that Alexis' warlord trait does not work with the RoW  :( 

not that it should stop you, just before you go list planning i thought id just chuck it out there.

Stuff and things

Just a random thought to note that Alexis' warlord trait does not work with the RoW  :sad.:

not that it should stop you, just before you go list planning i thought id just chuck it out there.

You definitely have a point, I really just liked the modeI. I plan to pick up Siggy eventually as well.

I think I'll be picking up a frig ton of Boarding Shields in my foreseeable future. Plus with the new changes to the over all points values of existing units, I find myself wondering what kinds of RoW's I can make with my existing collection.

My current Meta is rife with buying the latest and greatest, hence the two Spartans and three Achilles. I really wanted something that would be difficult to crack, yet lend itself to protecting my ground forces while they slog forward to Secure/Contest objectives, plus be moderately future proof given the foreseeable escalation of 30K.

Though the Xiphon  is mighty tempting.

As it stands, I'm pretty much done buying new things for my VII, but I am saving up for a Thunderhawk as I'd like to have Aeto Dios for Dorn when he gets released.

^I think its worth trading his Warlord trait for bumping him up to T5 in almost every pertinent circumstance.

He's a tough nut to crack when he's got his buddies by his side, that's for sure.

Imperial Fists are top 2 along with Raven Guard in the Loyalist ranks, so they don't need a Rite to be very successful.  Armoured Breakthrough is an awesome Rite for most Legions even if you prefer running a lot of infantry (outflanking marksmen veterans love fast Rhinos). 

You are both right.

Just remember, that you can run a pretty good IF list without a RoW.

It's looking that way, I've cobbled up a few lists with my friends copies of the HH: Legion Army List books.

Just remember, that you can run a pretty good IF list without a RoW.

Real talk 

Cept Armored Breakthrough is the best XP   ( I know its not  this is just a personal attack of Slipstreams ) 

Armored Breakthrough looks like a lot of fun, thankfully I have enough armor to make a decent list. Though I really need to trade for a bunch of Predators and go about converting them.

Onto another thing, I want to give Storm Shields to both my Tartaros and Cataphractii Terminators, in the book ( LA:Isstvaan Campaign Legions ) I know I can give them to standard ( indomitus) Terminators and the Cataphractii, is it just an oversight on FW part or is that option ( giving Storm Shields ) not allowed when it comes to Tartaros pattern terminators?

Now onto the second part, friend is giving me her Siggy next time she's in town ( she doesn't want to play VII any more, I gave her some books and she now has a lady boner for VIII ).

So with Siggy and Polux, would it be better to run Cataphractii with Storm Shields with Polux and the Tartaros with Siggy?

Edited by Obscura

ALWAYS take Tartaros with Storm Shields.

There is no point in taking Cataphractii with shields. You get the same invulnerable save as Tartaros with shields but none of the mobility or sweeps.

ESPECIALLY if you're using Siggy/Dorn.

I only use Cataphractii as Deepstriking Combi-Weapons at this point. If they're going to be punching stuff, Tartaros w/ Shield.

And its any Terminator Armour equipped IC or Unit. Since Tartaros is Terminator Armour, theres your answer.

Edited by Slipstreams

You can't technically take Tartaros and shields, they are available for regular and Cataphractii only. It doesn't just say "any terminator-equipped" like Salamanders, those two types are called out. Sallies are the only ones to get sweeping 2+/3++ terminators. Edited by Terminus

Salamander Storm Shields are +1 Invuln, not a flat 3++ so 4++ Sweeping Terminators...but they're Sallies and struggle to do just that or 3++ Cataphractii.

Also, it says any Legion Terminator or IC In TDA it then only lists a price difference.

If you really wanted to get pedantic with it:

• Legion Terminator Squad in "No-Pattern" Suits.
  • Buy Storm Shields.
  • Since Terminator Pattern/Type is determined by the Physical Model when the type isn't specified such as in this case with Legion Terminators, you then use Tartaros Models and have Tartaros Termies with Storm Shields 100% Legal. And since different suits don't have different costs, theres no points discrepancies either.
Edited by Slipstreams

The exact same restriction is applied to characters and models, they are specifically limited to standard and Cataphractii suits, which are clearly defined as distinct types from Tartaros in the new Legion army list.

Good catch on Sally shield rules, so sweeping 3++ is not available in the ruleset.