[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Dreadclaws don't really need it unless it's a super dense board, but Damocles is nice. I suggested it above as a ride for Mal.

Anyway, different question. What mark of armor are you guys using for the legs and arms to match the Sons torsos? I don't want to do MkIV because I already have half a company in MkIV. I love Mk3 but find it's too chunky to mix with other Mks, plus I already have half a company of them as well. I am somewhat locked into Mark two for my jump pack reaver squad, because I'm just going to buy Mk2 squad and swap the heads and torsos. I'd use Mk2 for the foot slogger, but those now are chunkier than the assault Mk2 since the resculpt.

I'm using mkV assault marines for my reavers. They combine well with mkIV.

Really really hate MkV's "look at my garter belts" legs. Maybe if I was using them for Emperor's Children, I'd paint them as lace with a fishnet pattern on the rest of the leg plates. Ooh lala. 

I'm using mkV assault marines for my reavers. They combine well with mkIV.

Really really hate MkV's "look at my garter belts" legs. Maybe if I was using them for Emperor's Children, I'd paint them as lace with a fishnet pattern on the rest of the leg plates. Ooh lala.

Well some of us are into that XD

Slaanesh...

Has anybody had a chance to try a massed Justaerin list under the new upgrades?

I'm thinking that Horus leading 20+ of his buddies might be a horrible surprise to jump the opponent with, especially if they're all carrying Combi-Plasma.

Say we start with Horus, so now everybody is a Troops choice. As for a Rite:

• 'Black Reaving' saves 100pts per squad on Dreadclaws and means we can run more than 5 per squad
  • 'Long March' means that those Combi-Plasma are hitting every time and Overheat becomes negligible.
  • 'Primarchs Chosen' lets you try this <2000pts if you're feeling saucy :wink:

I'd say Reaving is the obvious winner here. The only issue is that now we are scattering, and turning up Turn 2. So a Damocles seems mandatory for our Master of Signals to sit in, alongside whichever Compulsory HQ you've chosen.

You could quite happily get 30 Plasma-Justaerin alongside their boss and force requirements in 2500pts. Plus a Militia contingent to hunker down and survive into Turn 2 just in case you draw against a Pod list...

You'd have nothing against enemy fliers, but with 60+ Terminator wounds on the table I doubt you'd really care.

Turn 1 you survive, Turn 2 is a Plasmastorm, Turn 3 is Furious WS5 dogpiles. Turn 4 is combing bits out of your topknots.

Thoughts? It's a wonderful feeling seeing the Justaerin climb so high compared to their previous rules.

So my idea with my big blob of tactical doom is to run them into terminator or terminator command squads. They just have so many dang attacks on the charge that it'll overwhelm the armor save, not to mention all the BS5 pistol shots coming in first to thin the herd.

I'm thinking of using my Justaerin to eliminate anything not another terminator. They seem to lose their appeal fighting power first armed terminators who will just insta gib their expensive butts.

I'm thinking that Horus leading 20+ of his buddies might be a horrible surprise to jump the opponent with, especially if they're all carrying Combi-Plasma.

• 'Black Reaving' saves 100pts per squad on Dreadclaws and means we can run more than 5 per squad
  • 'Long March' means that those Combi-Plasma are hitting every time and Overheat becomes negligible.
  • 'Primarchs Chosen' lets you try this <2000pts if you're feeling saucy :wink:
I'd say Reaving is the obvious winner here. The only issue is that now we are scattering, and turning up Turn 2. So a Damocles seems mandatory for our Master of Signals to sit in, alongside whichever Compulsory HQ you've chosen.

You could quite happily get 30 Plasma-Justaerin alongside their boss and force requirements in 2500pts. Plus a Militia contingent to hunker down and survive into Turn 2 just in case you draw against a Pod list...

You'd have nothing against enemy fliers, but with 60+ Terminator wounds on the table I doubt you'd really care.

Turn 1 you survive, Turn 2 is a Plasmastorm, Turn 3 is Furious WS5 dogpiles. Turn 4 is combing bits out of your topknots.

Thoughts? It's a wonderful feeling seeing the Justaerin climb so high compared to their previous rules.

Only issue with The Long March is that Reroll 1s to hit is only on Turn 1. Otherwise, it would be golden. Imo, Long March works best with a Shooty list full of Devastators. And yes new Justaerin are now ace.

I want to run Tybalt Marr...but his rules just suck booty :sad.:

I cannot agree with you on this one depthcharge.   Marr is an Independent Character Assassin and forcing pin checks on anything that deep strikes, scouts, or infiltrates near him (which limits the effectiveness alpha strike builds). His blade gives him +1 initiative in a duel (useful), rending, and murderous strike.  So anything he rends, he kills out right.  This includes not only independent characters, but also monstrous creatures.  He is far more likely to kill Meduson than vice versa (or most other special characters, minus the clear heavy weights).  I can see arguments where he might be considered overpriced... but not by much for what he brings.

I want to run Tybalt Marr...but his rules just suck booty :(

I cannot agree with you on this one depthcharge. Marr is an Independent Character Assassin and forcing pin checks on anything that deep strikes, scouts, or infiltrates near him (which limits the effectiveness alpha strike builds). His blade gives him +1 initiative in a duel (useful), rending, and murderous strike. So anything he rends, he kills out right. This includes not only independent characters, but also monstrous creatures. He is far more likely to kill Meduson than vice versa (or most other special characters, minus the clear heavy weights). I can see arguments where he might be considered overpriced... but not by much for what he brings.
Same here. I love that he essentially has a Paragon charnabal saber.

That's cool as hell.

Tactically, you're kinda fishing for sixes, but at least you're gettin the drop on your opponent with the initiative bonus most days.

Edited by Flint13

I want to run Tybalt Marr...but his rules just suck booty :(

I cannot agree with you on this one depthcharge. Marr is an Independent Character Assassin and forcing pin checks on anything that deep strikes, scouts, or infiltrates near him (which limits the effectiveness alpha strike builds). His blade gives him +1 initiative in a duel (useful), rending, and murderous strike. So anything he rends, he kills out right. This includes not only independent characters, but also monstrous creatures. He is far more likely to kill Meduson than vice versa (or most other special characters, minus the clear heavy weights). I can see arguments where he might be considered overpriced... but not by much for what he brings.
Same here. I love that he essentially has a Paragon charnabal saber.

That's cool as hell.

Tactically, you're kinda fishing for sixes, but at least you're gettin the drop on your opponent with the initiative bonus most days.

It's nice...but the paragon blade beats him around 2 out of 3 times.

The pinning thing is debatable since marines have higher leadership, meaning you won't get much use out of it. If he had child of Terra RoW or some FoC movement then he'd be golden.

Given the new buff for sons of horus that gives them bs5 when firing rapid fire weapons at twelve in range, combi plasma/melta are great on justerians. You can deep strike in, or load them up in a dreadclaw and unleash a round of high strength shooting before getting them into an assault. I prefer plasma over melta since armored ceramite is so common in 30k, I'd rather have double the shots, but melta is ok as well. 

As far as close combat weapons go, personally on any terminators I prefer a roughly 50/50 mix of axes/fists. Usually I send terminators after the toughest targets, so they need ap2. I also have one chainfist for about every five terminators to deal with any vehicles they face, dreadnoughts in particular like leviathans that can be nasty for terminators. I know some players prefer a higher ratio of about one in three for chainfists, your preference really just comes down to how much armor you're up against. There's certainly nothing wrong though with throwing in some swords/dual lightning claws in there as well though if you'd like some terminators that can strike at initiative, I'd just make sure to keep at least some ap2 weapons in there. 

My usual thoughts on Terminator 5-man squads is 2x chainfists and the rest fists/axes (as many fists as affordable). With Justaerin, I'm tempted to go two chainfists, 1 fist/axe, 2 claws to take advantage of the extra attack at I1 for the claws for outnumbering (which bulky terminators should do well).  With furious charge, they are S5 shredding AP3 and each lightning claw guy will swing 4 times in a round he charges while still keeping his combi-weapon.

Because Dreadclaws don't have Inertial Guidance to prevent mishaps, maybe consider taking a Damocles Rhino? I've used them to great effect in my drop lists to bring more stuff in and use the 24" no scatter zone.

They don't need it, but it is useful. A dreadclaw drops in and flats out 18", then the next turn will move 6" and probably deploy its contents another 6" who then can charge up to 12". You can stay almost eighteen inches away from the enemy unit and move into position within a turn without the risk of a deepstrike mishap. I suggest the rhino in games of 2.5k and higher where it becomes mandatory to mitigate the risk of deepstrike as a massive amount of dreadclaws drop in. 

• 'Primarchs Chosen' lets you try this <2000pts if you're feeling saucy :wink:

I agree. That's an effective strategy to utilize Justaerin. 

Edited by Sheesh Mode

Its a flyer in Hover so it can Flat out 18" but otherwise, spot on.

Correction has been made. 

As far as I see it the Long March simply makes lists other than deepstrike assault viable, but is still infantry heavy and assault focused. I have a couple of Vindicators and a landraider that I was hesitant to work on as prior to this update they were lack luster in a Sons of Horus force. Now Long March makes landraiders really cool for the Sons. I look forward to finally fielding a semi-capable force from the bits I have. 

Its a flyer in Hover so it can Flat out 18" but otherwise, spot on.

Correction has been made.

As far as I see it the Long March simply makes lists other than deepstrike assault viable, but is still infantry heavy and assault focused. I have a couple of Vindicators and a landraider that I was hesitant to work on as prior to this update they were lack luster in a Sons of Horus force. Now Long March makes landraiders really cool for the Sons. I look forward to finally fielding a semi-capable force from the bits I have.

The nice thing is: all units gain rerolls of 1 first turn, it's not limited to models with LA:SoH.

But I'd imagine it also extends to plasma cannons so you can reroll 1's for overheating (first turn only).

Do all those Kheres assault cannons you've got lying around gain rerolls of 1 first turn as well. Eat your heart out boys.

I want a volkite support squad for Long March. Relentless in your deployment zone and should have the range to get some turn one shots in with the re-rolls.  I also am tempted by an anti-tank Leviathan, who with BS5 and rerolls should hit with all four melta shots.

Question about this. Are they relentless if they start their turn in their deployment zone, or are they relentless only WHILE in their deployment zone?  So if you step out, do you lose it immediately and thus cannot fire?  Or do you get one turn to reposition yourself forward and still get to benefit from relentless for that one turn?

I want a volkite support squad for Long March. Relentless in your deployment zone and should have the range to get some turn one shots in with the re-rolls. I also am tempted by an anti-tank Leviathan, who with BS5 and rerolls should hit with all four melta shots.

Question about this. Are they relentless if they start their turn in their deployment zone, or are they relentless only WHILE in their deployment zone? So if you step out, do you lose it immediately and thus cannot fire? Or do you get one turn to reposition yourself forward and still get to benefit from relentless for that one turn?

It says (looking at book right now) it's where they are at the beginning of the SoH player's turn.

So you can start in your zone and move up out of it first turn or whenever, but you still get relentless if you started that unit in your zone at the beginning of your turn.