[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

now we just need to wait until battlescribe is updated with the new books.

So any pointers to the best HQ special character and best build for HQ?

Best character at the moment is probably still Maloghurst. He personally sucks as a fighter, but his buffs are superb, let alone taking reavers and vets as troops.

Tybalt Marr is cool and I'm going to take him, but he needs a lot of luck to be good. His warlord trait is meh unless you face a lot of AL and RG players.

Garro is great, but he's also a dirty loyalist.

Edit: Spellcheck 1 Depthcharge 0

Edited by depthcharge12

hey me again :)

was wondering if anyone here would be willing to do some 30k mentoring? have alot of questions about everything from armybuilding to tactiks and it would be great to have someone to explain it to me, and also someone i could talk to about list ideas :)

Whats the best way to go about doing a ground based SoH force? I've gone off the idea of drop pods lately and I'm kind of feeling the swarm of marines and vehicles would be more my type, both game wise and in general model wise.

Sons of Horus love droppods and dreadclaws. Manipulating that will play to their strengths, as will the deployment of mass infantry. Vehicles are useful, but the Sons legion rules support infantry not tanks.

Its important to never focus on the legion bonuses so much as to hinder your options. SoH legion rules benefit outflanking/deepstriking infantry and lots of bodies to get Merciless Fighter. Nothing about any of that makes rapiers, kheres mortises, laser vindicators and sicarans less than awesome; they are always be a strong pick. Likewise, not taking power/chain fists on terminators just to get a few more Merciless Fighter attacks that won't cut through armour is a waste.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

now we just need to wait until battlescribe is updated with the new books.

So any pointers to the best HQ special character and best build for HQ?

Our regular HQs are pretty regular with the exception that we can make a good CC praetor with the Cataphractii Primus Relic. Our SCs are ok. Maloghurst as previously mentioned is very solid, Loken is good for a cheap dueling HQ, Marr is ok and Abaddon is bad.

hey me again :)

was wondering if anyone here would be willing to do some 30k mentoring? have alot of questions about everything from armybuilding to tactiks and it would be great to have someone to explain it to me, and also someone i could talk to about list ideas :)

Just PM me any questions about general list building. I've played vanilla since the first book came out, though I'm just starting off with SoH.

Play to your strengths, but more importantly, have fun with your lists. The game is about modeling and painting your guys to how you see them in your mind.

We do well with combi weapons, Dreadclaws, and big squads in assault.

Personally there's no magic number, it's all about strategy. Do you want to have an insane alphastrike? Then as many as possible, with your most powerful and resilient units coming down first.

Or maybe you're going more balanced, in which case about 5 pods (not claws as they are expensive) gives you a nice e chunk of 3 units. Maybe some combi reavers and support squads to lay down the pain while you're armoured units are in the back.

Which rite are you using? The long March with Malhogurst is basically built for mass pod alpha reavers. You drop down, Slam plasma into something that gets to reroll 1s, but hit on 2+ and then have crusader for the ensuing combats.

I either have 1, 3 or 5 pods. 3 is most common, 5 usually means one of them is probably a deathstorm to make that magic odd number.

Out of curiosity, how big is everyone's drop fleet? Myself I only have a Kharybdis, 2 dreadclaws, 3 legion pods, 2 dreadnought pods and a deathstorm.

Edited by Terminus

I either have 1, 3 or 5 pods. 3 is most common, 5 usually means one of them is probably a deathstorm to make that magic odd number.

Out of curiosity, how big is everyone's drop fleet? Myself I only have a Kharybdis, 2 dreadclaws, 3 legion pods, 2 dreadnought pods and a deathstorm.

*only*

:P

Well, the legion pods are pretty much useless since I never run orbital assault (I guess I could convert a third dreadclaw :D). And I pretty much need a third dreadnought pod, because dropping three contemptors/leviathans at once is hilarious, but all the finances are depleted in painting supplies because I finally decided to man-up and paint all my crap. Hopefully the airbrush will make it easier.

Edited by Terminus

3 Pods is a good number, and if you take the Warmaster himself (he's awesome) he can safely deepstrike a unit of Justaerins near your preferred target (best equipped with combi weapons, the Warmaster can boost them all the way to bs6 within 12" of a target).

You'll want to leave plenty of points for goodies like Sicaran Tanks, Rapiers, and so on :-)

I play SoH more as a ground mechanised list with limited deepstriking. To me the rules are a bonus, not a mandate by which to write a list.

Edited by Ishagu

Personally I have 2 dreadclaws and 1 dreadnought drop pod. Totally fine for me. Never field blobs anyway, so my elite-troops can get close fast without limiting my armylist like in the OA RoW.

Just something that jumped to my mind, and I don't have my rulebook with me. You can sacrafice your regular attacks for making a grenade attack.. when you outnumber your enemy, can you sacrafice your bonus attack to get another grenade attack? That would make meltabombs almost a must have and a death sentence to anything that isn't a titan.

In the 2nd Ed, yeah. No Vendettas sadly in a D99 list (they're a special forces outfit, rather than an elite regiment) and Vultures don't get the Combat Drop rule sadly. But you get Grav Chutes to disembark while Zooming, but it's not an assault vehicle, but can carry bulky stuff.