[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Ok so I had a 2500 point game tonight with my list I've posted farther up; I used the new RoW as well. I won the match 10-6 bottom of turn 5 and would have cleaned the board turn 6.

After action report:

• Reavers - Kind of lackluster during the game IMHO. They killed a tactical blob with extra ccws (which was to be expected) but lost 4 guys themselves!!! They also charged a command terminator squad to hopefully tie them up for my other stuff to get close to kill them. Died to a man but they killed a command terminator and held in for two turns. Verdict: I know it's only one game, but they don't seem worth the points. They could have died a lot sooner due to a bombardment, but Lady Luck and Warmaster Depthcharge gave them a lucky break. I'm considering swapping them and Mal out.

• 18 Despoilers - these guys rocked the entire game. Along with an Apothecary and Mal tagging along, they killed a tactical squad, a Delagatus and 3 command terminators, and krak grenaded 2 javelins to death. On top of that, during a duel between Mal and Rubio that saw them locking swords, the despoiler squad set in like a prison shanking and obliterated Rubio (though it wasn't fair at all tbh, but hey, I play SoH ;)). To all those naysayers out there that were against this squad, you may now pull your foot out of your mouth :P the sheer number of attacks and footprint in the board made them deadly and controlling the entire game. Sure if there was a Scorpius or bombardment around it could've scared them, but they were either in cc, in the Kharybdis, or in ruins to negate such a thing. Definitely happy with them - they are honestly the SoH strength. They benefitted from Death Dealers, Merciless Fighters, and the Long March. I rate them 10/10.

• Justaerin - I feel I can't give a total report on them since THEY DIDNT COME IN TILL TURN FOUR ARRRGGGGH >:o

Their dreadclaw was having issues rolling reserves well due to a Proteus dicking around with the roll. They came in turn three, but misshaped and went back into reserves. Derp. Turn four though they podded in and hopped out to multi melta a troublesome Sicaran that didn't want to die all game. Turn 5 they wiffed shooting at a hovering Fire Raptor with the MM and combi-plas (the dang dude burned his hands too) but went in and chainfisted the flying :cusser with all the contempt a pissed off 8 foot super human can throw. They ideally would have fought the command squad or eat some of the tactical squads and so forth. Pure damage output - 8/10 Reserves - 1/10 grr I have high expectations for them next game.

•Mal - he did averagely, which was what I expected. He also lived longer than I thought, but he never came face to face with any AP2 or a paragon blade to really hurt him. I'm considering dropping him and the Reavers for more killy. I believe his fearless banner did jack except for auto passing a pin test. 6/10 for me...he was just eh.

• Kharybidis - HOLY FRAK IN A FRAK BASKET! This thing did amazing all game and lasted till about turn 4 I want to say. It's missiles are vastly underrated as they pinned at least 2 squads and would have pinned the terminators except for their banner. He also flamed two tacticals and almost a terminator too. The thing was just a huge nuisance to Athrawes all game and soaked up a Sicaran, two Javelins, and an autocannon battery from a Fire Raptor before dying its glorious death. It died well, and loved the dang thing. Spartan fans beware...this thing is going to steal yo wife and yo kids. I know it doesn't sound like it killed a lot, but it just pinned things and winnowed out a few troops here and there to be a huge pain. It also deployed the big Depthcharge Despoiler blob o' doom and redeployed them handly where they needed to go over the course of the game. 10/10

•Leviathan - dang I wish I could've made more saves with this beast, but it podded in and was a giant distraction carnifex. It soaked up lascannons, Kheres shots, Sicaran shots, and a whole lot else. It did get stripped down to one hull point after the first turn and lost its drill, but it storm cannon'd a Damocles out of existence (my priority one target with its bombardment and reserve crap) and proceeded to beat down a full contemptor in close combat by kicking it in the metal balls with S8 until it died. The dang thing hopped out victorious before getting killed by tricksy hobbits in javelins shooting it in the butt. It was a suicide machine, but it did its job admirably and soaked up half an army's worth of heavy firepower before keeling over. I could be greedy and say I wanted it to kill more, but it did more just being a support and tanky monster. 9/10

•Lightning - this thing did everything it was supposed to, and died, also what it was supposed to :P it came on T2 and sniped a proteus with its lascannons and kraken penetrators. Next turn it did a fly by and nuked the command terminator squad, giving 3 or four wounds, but only taking one off the delegatus. It then did its 3+ jink to annoy Athrawes before he shot it in the butt with an avenger cannon. Did what it needed to, dropped all its payloads...I couldn't have asked anything more from it. 9/10

•Dreadclaws - did great flaming units and being pesky (killed two plasma marines in one burn :evil:). I hated the one that misshaped and wouldn't come in, but it probably had a malevolent machine spirit. I really liked them, and I loved them as transports. They are the way of the future as regular pods, raiders, and rhinos just don't do assault units justice. 9/10 but with the reserves 8/10 -_-

•Autocannon squad (10 guys) - lol these guys were a blast to play with, especially using relentless. They were low on the enemy's target list, but they managed to strip hull point here and there, kill a dreadclaw, effectively kill a Sicaran except for silly cover saves, and kill half of a plasma support squad. They need a Siege breaker or tank hunters on them desperately though. They were lots of fun though, not competitive at all, but fun with all the high S shots. They'd play well in an AdMech meta tbh. 7/10

•Javelins - didn't do a whole lot with these suckers. They attempted to kill medium armor and TEQs but completely flipped this game. I'm considering swapping out the missiles for lascannons. 5/10

Just my 2 cents guys!!!

Edited by depthcharge12

Actually I understand your points on Reavers.

They are designed to kill anything that doesn't wield too much powerweapons or shoot stuff with combi weapons. They are your go to option to kill warhounds (10 combi meltas hitting on 2+..) or big death and doom blocks with combiplas. nontheless, they easily cost 440 points with 10 combiweapons, 3 powerweapons and a dreadclaw at this points.

They are designed to alpha strike key elements of the enemy army, if you use them like you did, I do not wonder you were better off with 20 marines. But consindering the kharybdiss is needed for your style as well, you are at 500+ points on your 20 marines as well. ;)

I find it ironic that the Reavers, an assault unit, are better at shooting :P

Though this method technically means nothing in a vacuum, those despoilers did make their points back - 180 points for 2 javelins, 150 for a tactical squad, 300+ for the Delagatus and command squad. That's not even including what the Kharybdis did. But I see your point about the Reavers...I just wish they had more flexibility than that :D

I'm considering swapping out Mal, one tactical, and the Reavers for Abaddon in the Kharybdis with the despoilers (gives them fearless, intimidating presence, lets them sweep, is pretty decent in cc, and can benefit from the apothecary) and a 15 man breacher squad with 3 grav guns and assorted goodies on the sgt. Here's my reasoning: I face a lot of vehicles, but need a sturdy midfield unit that's decent in both shooting and assault. With the relentless conferred from my deployment zone, you can reach out and touch someone with those 3 grav guns. Sure it might be an issue of movement after the first turn since they are Heavy weapons, but if you get them into a good commanding position on the board in cover, they can be hell to deal with.

So I recently had a great game against an army centered and led by Horus and 10 justarian with a primarus medicade deathstar. By the end of the game I had killed off everything but horus but I am talking about putting ~250 wounds on the unit through the game. It just would not die.

My question for those running Horus with the new justarian is what do you fear seeing across from you on the table?

So I recently had a great game against an army centered and led by Horus and 10 justarian with a primarus medicade deathstar. By the end of the game I had killed off everything but horus but I am talking about putting ~250 wounds on the unit through the game. It just would not die.

My question for those running Horus with the new justarian is what do you fear seeing across from you on the table?

Basically nothing. S8+ AP2 large blasts are the only thing that can reliably kill them quickly and most either have short range or can be killed on the turn Horus and co deep Strike. In melee they are pretty much unkillable except by another equally expensive Primarch Deathstar. Other than S8+ large blasts, it's pretty hard to kill them with shooting. Non-AP2 bounces off their armor save and against lower than S8 AP2 the Justaerin have a 4++/5+++. Edited by Prodigal Son of Magnus

Honestly, power fist armed terminators can do a number on the Justaerin because they'll ignore the 2Ws and FNP. Other than that, not even massed plasma support squads can hurt them that much.

What do people think of contemptor Cortus talons? I'm thinking about taking three in a Talon with just extra armor (you want to be moving, could care less about shooting with them) and two DCCWs each.

Keep them in a diamond to try and get AV13 and a 5++ as much as possible or a cover save from another dread. First turn, move 6", use the overcharge to run an additional 2" plus fleet (on average that's another 5-6"!!!). Next turn, use the overcharge for +1 to move and charge distance to close the gap, or use +1 I against other dreads, or rage for infantry groups.

What do people think of contemptor Cortus talons? I'm thinking about taking three in a Talon with just extra armor (you want to be moving, could care less about shooting with them) and two DCCWs each.

Keep them in a diamond to try and get AV13 and a 5++ as much as possible or a cover save from another dread. First turn, move 6", use the overcharge to run an additional 2" plus fleet (on average that's another 5-6"!!!). Next turn, use the overcharge for +1 to move and charge distance to close the gap, or use +1 I against other dreads, or rage for infantry groups.

I would like to try some double Grav dreads in a drop list. They provide anti heavy armor and can hold up other dreads. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of the model so it's low on my list. Edited by Prodigal Son of Magnus

They're more a variant on the regular legion dread (which I like but the Legion dread will have to have a point drop in the update to account for it)

Use in a drop pod. Otherwise you're probably better off taking a contemptor because that SA av11 is gonna hurt.

I think the Cortus Talons can work to a degree. Theyre surprisingly fast and survivable from the front. Because they don't actually form a squadron you can't overkill one into the other two either. Theyre a large points investment but they're Damn efficient and will really mess with target priority for sure.

Oh I agree with you, they really needed some love !

I'm just wondering whether it's too much of a boost or not, based on the feedback of players. I'm really into making a SOH force that was Termi heavy before the release lf the updated rules and I wonder if people are going to think I'm cheesing it out :p

Well, the Sons of Horus are looking like the professional bad ass equivalents of the Ultramarines which is great, and have rules that reflect their reputation.

They now have impressive abilities and Legion specific units.

I'm excited to play them, and play against them :-D

Edited by Ishagu

Knight Errants with Melta Cannons. 

full tactical support squads with Meltas. 

full units of zealot rending cultists

Vindicators, particularly ones used in an Armored Breakthrough detachment

Heavy Support Squads with Multi-Meltas inside a bunker and/or fielded in a Sons of Horus Long March detachment

Xiphon Interceptors

melta/mega (whatever) cannon, lascannon Predators in an Armored Breakthrough detachment

Invisible units 

Edited by Sheesh Mode

I think it depends a lot on what you're gearing the squad for. If you want a dedicated assault unit with jump packs, then fifteen is definetly best. If you want a full combi weapons squad either outflanking or in a pod, a smaller five to ten man squad is probably a better size.  

what would you guys say is the best reaver squad ? size and gear (dont have any droppods) ideas thoughts?

I dont know if there is "the best" loadout for them. U have the possibility to make them strong against everything, but this goes with a hefty point investment (while just having 15 wounds max). Look at the weakness of your opponent and kit them to exploit it. Thats what i would say.

I'd gear them to primarily engage other PA equivalent or lower infantry.

Your Justaerins can battle the strong things. Maybe just basic weapons with the occasional Axe/Fist/Sword.

As for ranged weapons, I'm truly not sure. It's something that would depend on the other ranged options in your army, but probably not worth investing in seeing as your Justaerins have combis...

Some combi melta probably isn't a bad shout, as you can shoot those before you assault and on jump packs thats a rather unique loadout. Your melta then has an effective 18" threat range against anything without Ceramite! And even with S8 AP1 may hurt it.

Great for combining with what Ishagu said and popping Rhinos then assaulting the squishy innards.