Calth: An Apologist and Doghouse True Scale Project Log

Doghouse

They are absolutely beautiful Apologist!  You can really see how all of the techniques you use to create your marines has improved in every area since you started making the Praetors of Calth and have advanced to the 190th.  Your converting and sculpting skills are really increasing with every marine you build.  The composition of each marine looks more streamlined and cohesive now that you are mixing in the FW terminator legs along with your custom helmets, shoulder pads and torsos.  Your method of painting them has even improved, especially the gold trim and "just so" weathering technique.  Your work inspires and tempts me so very badly to start a new space marine army using your modeling techniques.  The only thing holding me back at this moment is the sculpting work on the torsos and the MK III style shoulder pads.  I have no sculpting skills personally but I'm trying to find some pads and torsos similar to yours so that I can duplicate them and be on my way to "true scale perfection.  Thanks for continuing to post your work and your fiction and personal musings.  All of it is pure gold!

Man, if only GW/FW would sell those true scale models! Well, maybe not...since the whole idea of converting each and every one of them is what makes this thing so cool. It's just that the armor design because of what you've done looks totally mindblowing, especially the usage of the Tartaros legs.

By the way, do you also have a close up on the sergeant's banner?

I know it's part of the point to have these guys a little more 'mass produced', but I kinda miss the individual heraldry from the Praetors. Still, some absolutely stunning work there. Seconding malika's request for a closeup on the banner. How'd you do that anyway, strips of masking tape?

Dragonlover

The mass produced thing is interesting. But keep in mind that they still have their individual traits. After Calth the uniformity kinda broke, with marines repairing their broken armor components rather than fully replacing them. One of the stories in Sedition's Gate briefly goes into the topic. 

loving what you've done with the 13th legion.

any chance we might get a better look of the iron hand dreadnought and the ultramarines dreadnought?

They are absolutely beautiful Apologist!  You can really see how all of the techniques you use to create your marines has improved in every area since you started making the Praetors of Calth and have advanced to the 190th.  [...]  Thanks for continuing to post your work and your fiction and personal musings.  All of it is pure gold!

Coo, thanks a lot – that's very kind :)

By the way, do you also have a close up on the sergeant's banner?

How's this? 

IMG_3764.JPG

I'm not quite convinced by it yet – I'm tempted to delineate the laurel wreath a bit more, and add some script, but I'm in two minds. I like the fact it 's not too eye-catching, as it leads the eye to Pharsalis himself:

I know it's part of the point to have these guys a little more 'mass produced', but I kinda miss the individual heraldry from the Praetors. Still, some absolutely stunning work there. Seconding malika's request for a closeup on the banner. How'd you do that anyway, strips of masking tape?

The banner's just done with freehand. I used a 5mm (¼in) flat brush, as it's a nice quick way to get sharp edges to large chequers (though obviously is does kind a dictate the size of the squares!)

As to the individuality vs. genericism, it's a difficult balance, I think. I'm inclined to think I've gone a bit too far the other way with the 190th, and they're a bit too anonymous. However, now I've got a decent group of 'standard' marines, they'll form a nice canvas for some individuals to 'sing out' against. I think that's the way I'll approach it from this point in.

As an example, here's Severius, a line brother of the 190th:

Brother Ison Severius

IMG_3869.JPG

Bare-headed and in the centre of the second row of this pict-capture, Ison Severius cuts an unremarkable figure amongst his brethren of the 190th Sixth Line Tactical. Severius is bearing a Phobos-pattern boltgun of local Occludan manufacture. Many Forgeworlds provided dispensation to vassal Imperial planets allowing them to manufacture designs under licence. Most sent Magi to oversee the work, though close-knit Forgeworlds occasionally allowed an allied non-native Magos to supervise.

IMG_3875.JPG

At first glance, the marine is simply another Legionary of the line; an impression deliberately fostered. For example, his haircut is a typical and traditional Macragge martial cut, common amongst the line troopers. However, this pict-capture includes several tantalising hints that Severius is an ex-associate of the Librarius division, tasked with psi-warfare. Returned to the ranks along with the rest of the division following the edict of Nikea, the Librarian's former role reveals itself in several details: the hastily applied tactical markings on his left pauldron, the over-painted honorific gilding on his leg armour, and – most tellingly – his loincloth, bearing the rank markings of a Lexicanium.

15.jpg

The Legion's Chaplains – ironically patterned after officers in the Word Bearers – were tasked with monitoring and enforcing the Edict of Nikea. In some Legions, this involved extreme and punitive measures, but with a number of minor exceptions, the Ultramarines' Librarius submitted willingly – albeit occasionally unenthusiastically – to the Edict. Nevertheless, individuals often bore different private feelings. Accustomed to non-standard approaches to warfare, many Librarians struggled with the adoption of standard operating procedures. Severius is one of many anonymous former Librarians that perished in the events of the war on Calth. Unfortunately, the scrapcode assault also permanently destroyed much of the Ultramarine's history banks, so no personal testimony remains that may have shed light on Severius' personal reaction to demotion to the ranks.

loving what you've done with the 13th legion.

any chance we might get a better look of the iron hand dreadnought and the ultramarines dreadnought?

I'll save the Iron Hands for my other blog (to keep this one purely on the project), but I was working on the Ultramarines Contemptor last night. Here he is at the moment:

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Any chance we could talk you into sharing the 3d printing files for those shoulderpads (if you have them?  I read somewhere that you commissioned them) so we could get our own printed through shapeways or something?

I did have them commissioned, but I don't have the digital files, I'm afraid. Sorry about that :s

The Edict of Nikea is a rather interesting thing. I mean, besides being battlefield psykers, their role is a lot more important. They maintain the Librarius, a vast databank containing all the information the Legion has been collecting. In The Purge (in the previous at least) it is mentioned that it seemed as if the Ultramarines had abandoned their Librarius after the Edict was put in place. But why though? The ban of battlefield psykers didn't automatically also mean the ban on obtaining and maintaining knowledge - unless it was illegal knowledge of course, but the Librarius contained so much more than that.

Food for thought...

Librarius

Yes, I thought that was a bit odd. The primary duties of Librarians in 40k is (or at least used to be) writing reports on battles and events etc. hence the writing related titles of the ranks, and the term 'Librarian'. The psychic nature of them was secondary, though obviously important. Probably a result of them basically being space-wizards; and hence associated with pop-culture figures like Merlin and Gandalf etc.

Anyway, perhaps in 30k the Librarius was similarly involved in record-keeping originally, and the psychic warfare aspectgrew tangentially from it? As a result, when the Edict was enforced, the Librarians battlefield role would go to being line brothers, but their other roles (as record keepers) would remain...?

+++

More finished marines

I polished off some more marines for the next Tactical Squad over the weekend:

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Also another one for a Heavy Support squad. He'll go with the other two heavy bolter marines from the Praetors; and eventually some more. 

IMG_3888.JPG

+++

I also repainted an orphan model (from an aborted older project), as he was sitting on the desk looking sorry for himself. 

IMG_3886.JPG

He gave me the opportunity for some nice scale shots, alongside one of the Calth PDF:

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

Yes, I thought that was a bit odd. The primary duties of Librarians in 40k is (or at least used to be) writing reports on battles and events etc. hence the writing related titles of the ranks, and the term 'Librarian'. The psychic nature of them was secondary, though obviously important. Probably a result of them basically being space-wizards; and hence associated with pop-culture figures like Merlin and Gandalf etc.

Anyway, perhaps in 30k the Librarius was similarly involved in record-keeping originally, and the psychic warfare aspectgrew tangentially from it? As a result, when the Edict was enforced, the Librarians battlefield role would go to being line brothers, but their other roles (as record keepers) would remain...?

I would have thought the same if it weren't for that snippet of The Purge which suggests the Librarius seemed to have been abandoned after the Edict. It leaves me to question why they would even do that?

The scout looks really awesome, still a bit small compared to a normal marine. Whilst this is a bit of artistic freedom I guess. I mean, isn't a Scout just a marine but without the Black Carapace yet? So the other modifications would already be there, right? Or do the Neophytes get assigned to Scout duty at an earlier stage of their transformation (which might explain why this fellow is a lot smaller than a normal Marine)?

Looking at your marines, I really love the use of the Tartaros legs, makes me feel sad that I don't master a program like Blender yet to do a 3d design. For some reason I'm imagining your style of armor, but with the proportions of an Adeptus Custodes...

Cheers – awlays glad (and humbled!) to hear people like my stuff :)

We haven't really talked much about the board, but we've discussed terrain in part – lots of injured marines, and some references to the Adeptus Titanicus-era buildings.

A bit of inspirational artwork, to give you an idea of the sort of thing we're trying to evoke:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/Models%20stuff/fantasy%20artwork/pic3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/models%20and%20blog/c12.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lya09pWwxa1qbfdqyo1_500.png

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/sc.jpg

Since I've had a bit of a headstart on the army (eight years or so!), I should have some time to put towards making sure we have a kick-ass board on which to play; though I'm sure Doghouse will also be making some cool terrain :)

DEAD TITAN!!! I DEMAND A DEAD TITAN!!!

There! I've said it!

Looking at those old pictures though, you know you now have to add a marine who has "ULTRA" in big blocky letters on one of his shoulder pads. That, and one or two with Roman looking symbol on their shoulderpads (second pic), which might mean those fellow are Terran, which would make their confrontation with the Terran Word Bearers all the more tragic.

Fantastic stuff mate, really nice.

I'm still working on my first squad but hopefully it won't take 8 years to catch up. ;)

I am determined to make an old school ejected Warlord head for this, those were my first and fondest memories of the Heresy. Got nine marines built now and will post pictures as soon as I can get some base coat on them.

I did have them commissioned, but I don't have the digital files, I'm afraid. Sorry about that :s

No wuckens.  Having them would make my life easier, but having to make my own will make me into a better modeller.  Either is good for me, but my innate laziness would say that if you come into any extras that you won't need for your Calth boys, I might be interested in picking some up.

The scout looks really awesome, still a bit small compared to a normal marine. Whilst this is a bit of artistic freedom I guess. I mean, isn't a Scout just a marine but without the Black Carapace yet? So the other modifications would already be there, right? Or do the Neophytes get assigned to Scout duty at an earlier stage of their transformation (which might explain why this fellow is a lot smaller than a normal Marine)?

I think Scouts are just regular marines out of power armour in 30k – but I like the idea that the Scout corps is made up of marines in training. Since that becomes de facto after the Second Founding, I think it's reasonable to suppose Guilliman pioneered (or championed) the idea, so this scout will be a young Marine in training. He's a little smaller than his power armoured compatriot in the picture, and that's owing both to the fact he's not full grown; but also because I think power armour should be huge.

To me, it's the armour that adds most of the bulk of the marine – the guy inside is big, certainly; but realistically big. Seven foot, seven and a half, maybe? Having met a few people above six foot six, they're huge already; extend that another foot and you've already got your intimidating presence, let alone before you balloon him out to the proportions of a prop forward! Assuming the guardsman is around five foot seven or eight (fairly reasonable given that Calth is supposed to be a pretty civilised, well-provisioned place), that'd put the scout above six foot, and the marine at seven foot something.

Either way, I'm not all too fussed about exact size at this scale; it's the impression that counts :)

Fantastic stuff mate, really nice.

I'm still working on my first squad but hopefully it won't take 8 years to catch up. msn-wink.gif

I am determined to make an old school ejected Warlord head for this, those were my first and fondest memories of the Heresy. Got nine marines built now and will post pictures as soon as I can get some base coat on them.

Great! Looking forward to seeing 'em; and that Warlord head sounds like an awesome idea for an objective.

No wuckens. Having them would make my life easier, but having to make my own will make me into a better modeller. Either is good for me, but my innate laziness would say that if you come into any extras that you won't need for your Calth boys, I might be interested in picking some up.

Might be a struggle to get them to 'Lost in the Warp'! Where are you based?

If you're after an out-of-the-box approach, Forge World have some good Terminator pads that are similar to the Mk III-style ones I use – Culln, and some of the individual Chapter pads (like the Salamanders and Blood Angels) are appropriate. Alternatively, a bit of greenstuff and plasticard on standard Terminator shoulder pads should work wonders. Good luck!

*begins drumming fingers on table, waiting for Doghouse to re-post that badass Word Bearer Chaplain of his* msn-wink.gif

Yeah, that guy rocks! Perhaps a repaint to crimson would be a good way to mark the completion of the first squad?

Might be a struggle to get them to 'Lost in the Warp'! Where are you based?

If you're after an out-of-the-box approach, Forge World have some good Terminator pads that are similar to the Mk III-style ones I use – Culln, and some of the individual Chapter pads (like the Salamanders and Blood Angels) are appropriate. Alternatively, a bit of greenstuff and plasticard on standard Terminator shoulder pads should work wonders. Good luck!

I'm east coast US.  Sadly, I believe there is a large body of water between the two of us.

I was poking around and seeing what FW had to offer in terms of what was similar, and I saw that IF and a few others had some terminator pads that could work - but unfortunately are absolutely loaded with iconography.  Which is really the point of them, after all, but it makes things a bit more difficult when I'd want smooth pads to put transfers or my own iconography on.  Greenstuff and plasticard on standard terminator pads (ala Doghouse's or the 'artscale' method) was my original plan, along with Indomitus terminator legs - I've got a small collection of all of the above, but I've really come to love how you and others have been using the Tartaros legs and arms.

Are we gonna get this? *drools* By the way: possible inspiration.

I think Scouts are just regular marines out of power armour in 30k – but I like the idea that the Scout corps is made up of marines in training. Since that becomes de facto after the Second Founding, I think it's reasonable to suppose Guilliman pioneered (or championed) the idea, so this scout will be a young Marine in training. He's a little smaller than his power armoured compatriot in the picture, and that's owing both to the fact he's not full grown; but also because I think power armour should be huge.

To me, it's the armour that adds most of the bulk of the marine – the guy inside is big, certainly; but realistically big. Seven foot, seven and a half, maybe? Having met a few people above six foot six, they're huge already; extend that another foot and you've already got your intimidating presence, let alone before you balloon him out to the proportions of a prop forward! Assuming the guardsman is around five foot seven or eight (fairly reasonable given that Calth is supposed to be a pretty civilised, well-provisioned place), that'd put the scout above six foot, and the marine at seven foot something.

Hmm, so the armour would have platform boots inside? :P

Either way, I'm not all too fussed about exact size at this scale; it's the impression that counts

It's very awesome to see the models more as an artistic representation, the 'impression' you're talking about. So exact sizes and such aren't holy, but do form a good guide. I guess this is the next step in the whole 'true scale' philosophy. It's kinda what I love about Migsula's stuff since he tries to approach the miniatures as artpieces with their own complete narrative. You are Doghouse are doing something very similar, the whole History Channel vibe is very interesting...

I agree on the scouts thing, I do get the impression that as the process was a lot easier they'd probably be in full plate armour. I'm not 100% on the retcon but it used to be the case that fully grown men could becomes Astartes rather than having to start in their early teens.

I'll take a look at the chaplain, I think he's a bit messy compared to these guys if I remember right so what I might have to do is remake him from scratch.

kitwulfen: On the aspect of the shoulder pads, best thing is to do make them yourself, it is a major pain (i hate them with a passion :D ) but it is the best way to improve your skills to be honest. Short cuts are cool, something ready made can really take the edge off the gruelling task but you develop your skills at a much slower pace but taking the short cut.

Any more progress on the casualties, Doghouse? Itching to have a go at littering the floor. :)
Also, do you mind sharing your red for the occasional helmet etc. on the bases? It'd be nice to tie the armies together.

Oh, I can fully understand your hatred.  Just thinking about trying to make enough for an army fills me with dread.  Even the thought of making one and casting it seems boringly repetitive.  I'm confident enough in my sculpt-fu to think I can tackle the task of making shoulder pads, but making a few dozen of them by hand or by cast just seems needlessly self-flagellating.  At least, it is for those of us who are not Sons of Dorn.  I'm sure there is plenty to learn by making my own (there is always more to learn), but I think the scale also has to balance time/effort and monetary commitment.  3d printed shoulder pads just seem so cheap and easy and they look so good.

On the topic of scouts, the closest we've got in the HH books are Recon Marines, and they're more in the mold of Wolf Scouts than Ultramarine Scouts - veterans (though without veteran statlines, standard WS4 BS4 A1 Ld8) skilled at independent operation and working behind enemy lines.  Your reasoning that Guilliman might've pioneered the way it ends up in the Codex seems sound enough to me, though, and I'm glad to see that PDF trooper.  Truescale marines on the tabletop look best when they've got normal-size humans next to them for some proper scale!

I agree on the scouts thing, I do get the impression that as the process was a lot easier they'd probably be in full plate armour. I'm not 100% on the retcon but it used to be the case that fully grown men could becomes Astartes rather than having to start in their early teens.

The whole concept of Space Marine scouts is a bit odd I think. Isn't it normally the scouts are veterans rather then complete rookies? Whilst it might be understandable to have Neophytes already deployed on battlefields to gain experience, it would be odd to put them in such a vulnerable position. Wouldn't it be handier to have them serve alongside the normal marines, either like the Space Wolves - who deploy their Neophytes amongst the Blood Claw squads - or the Black Templars who assign their Neophytes to fight alongside their normal squads, sort of like squires almost.

So what is it that made Guilliman pick this other doctrine? Maybe this developed during/after the war on Calth?

Any more progress on the casualties, Doghouse? Itching to have a go at littering the floor

I'm very curious about this, I would love to see something like this, but then the other way around, for some reason I don't see Ultramarines killing their foes this way...

Just thinking about trying to make enough for an army fills me with dread. Even the thought of making one and casting it seems boringly repetitive. I'm confident enough in my sculpt-fu to think I can tackle the task of making shoulder pads, but making a few dozen of them by hand or by cast just seems needlessly self-flagellating. At least, it is for those of us who are not Sons of Dorn. I'm sure there is plenty to learn by making my own (there is always more to learn), but I think the scale also has to balance time/effort and monetary commitment. 3d printed shoulder pads just seem so cheap and easy and they look so good.

[...]I'm glad to see that PDF trooper. Truescale marines on the tabletop look best when they've got normal-size humans next to them for some proper scale!

Well, I can disabuse you of the cheapness – part of the reason I'm rationing them out is because they were obscenely expensive to have 3D printed. Ate up most of my hobby budget for about three months! unsure.png

I do agree that the thought of making enough pads for an army turns the stomach. They are, without doubt, the least enjoyable and hardest part of building the models, in my opinion. Conversely, they're the most distinctive and rewarding.

My advice is just to take things slowly. Why do the whole army at once? Making two at a time allows you to build a single marine into which you can invest your time, care and effort. That'll give you the best results, and give you a model that's an investment of your time and attention – which'll hopefully enthuse you into making more.

Remember, there's no rush! smile.png

That's part of the appeal of smaller games. In Rogue Trader you could quite happily have a game with a dozen models; and even now my favourite games are 1000pts or below. Just enough stuff to be interesting, but less time invested in the game. Makes for happier results in my experience smile.png

Cheers for the thoughts on the PDF trooper. In truth, I'd like to sell the Steel Legion army so I can pick up some of Victoria Miniatures' new models. They look perfect for Calth PDF as depicted in Visions of Heresy.

The whole concept of Space Marine scouts is a bit odd I think. Isn't it normally the scouts are veterans rather then complete rookies? Whilst it might be understandable to have Neophytes already deployed on battlefields to gain experience, it would be odd to put them in such a vulnerable position.

I've always bit a bit leery of comparing Space marines to real warfare. While it's fun to draw comparisons, they never really stack up that well. In the case of Scouts specifically, they're not complete rookies – in most cases, they're the most capable, bloodthirsty psychopaths a planet can produce; brutalised, toughened, brainwashed and then loaded with intensive combat training and bio-modification that makes them more than a match for most alien species even out of armour. That's before they see battle!

Given the way Space Marines fight and the resources put into creating them, having the ones that are unable to wear enclosing power armour work as reconnaissance and sabotage specialists before throwing them into the thick of fire seems fairly sensible.

It's all a bit moot as I'm unlikely to use any Scouts in the army. They didn't exist in Epic: Space Marine 1st ed., and don't seem particularly iconic of the Battle of Calth, anyway. smile.png

+++

WIP

Progress on the Contemptor. I worked on the gold, cloth and the aquila detail last night. Spotted the +SCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT+ mouldlines on the left arm, too. Have to sort those out.

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Archived