Calth: An Apologist and Doghouse True Scale Project Log

Doghouse

That effect is fantastic! Been lurking in this thread for a long time..and it just keeps getting better! On your blog you showed that a traditional acrylic wash reacted poorly with the graphite, perhaps if you varnished the model first and then applied the wash it would work?

How do you think an oil-wash would react? Definitely a thought provoking technique.

It might be worth it just to apply a varnish via brush to the graphite areas, though that may disturb metallics or leave brush strokes. Not too sure if you'd need gloss for an acrylic wash, but I think I remember reading that gloss is best for oils. I'd definitely be interested to see an Iron Warrior done this way alongside acrylic metallics. The different textures would be a nice contrast. Might be something I need to consider trying. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you! Lots to think about in that post :)

Minor progress

The painting war continues apace:
IMG_3960.JPG

I used the pencil for the metal areas on the Rhino. Quite tempted to use it on the boarding shields, too; though I'm a bit concerned about over-using it!

Can't quite decide how to paint the boarding shields... On the one hand, a utilitarian approach seems fitting – they're largely disposable, and I don't think the 30k Ultramarines would have developed the slightly fetishistic approach to honouring the battle gear of the dead that's prevalent in 40k. If I go this route, I thought either dark blue (as for the gun casings and other hard equipment) or dark grey.

Alternatively, I could paint the shields with a group emblem (like the Roman Legions), or individual totems (like a hoplite phalanx). Thoughts?

Perhaps do the rims in the metallics, and the rest in painted red/black/whatever to show that it is ceramite reinforced with steel. I liked the pic in HH:Extermination of the Imperial Fist boarding marine with the black shield. Had the twinned axes of their commander (Rahn) on the shield. Perhaps you could do something similar? Incorporate chapter heraldry or somesuch with a complimentary or contrasting overall color. I know the Roman thing is overdone but I can't help but think of black shields with the gold eagle's head and lightning bolt in the center. Would look pretty regal.

Well, that looks good! Cheers Mal; and thanks to all for your thoughts. Have to have a little play around, but that subtle four-winged device looks cool. :)

Built a new marine who ties in loosely to the project last night. His identity must remain a mystery for now, as I'm planning to use him for a contest on another forum...

Silhouette.JPG

Loving the stuff you two are producing in this project, really inspiring.

Can I take a stab and guess that the mysterious marine is none other than the fellow featured on the Mark of Calth cover image?http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120816194949/warhammer40k/images/a/a5/Mark_of_Calth_cover_art.jpg

In the words of an unusually polite Legionary, of the XX, I couldn't possibly comment. Know no fear, though; I'll post him up once the contest is over :)

Trenchant Ridge

IMG_3912.JPG

I've been working a bit more on some terrain for Trenchant Ridge. I'm picturing it as a bit of a backwater, so while it's not going to be full-on dystopian, it's not going to be as clean and futuristic as Forge World's take on Ithaca(sp?) seen in the recent Games Day pics. 

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

Since these pics, I've got some paint and colour on the terrain, and also some flat boards for them to sit on – so we should have some nice streets to fight around :)

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Took a punt on a Gal Vorbak (such lovely models) from ebay and it turns out that Forge World are producing 'true-scale' marines now! This chap'll probably just be a one-off, but I'm quite looking forward to giving him a paint.
Here's a comparison pic with one of the 190th:

IMG_3980.jpg
Legionary Septimal of the 190th confronts Harek Var of the Chapter of the Burning Elm

Ooh, good call – do so, and provide links, please :)

+++

Here's a second little teaser for that contest I mentioned. I'll post the rest up after Hallowe'en, but I'm so proud of this, I couldn't resist a little preview :)
IMG_4002.JPG

Mark of Calth

Hopefully the pictures speak for themselves, but as promised, here's my interpretation of the cover of the Mark of Calth anthology.

IMG_3990.JPG

Some details:

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Love to hear what you think - I'm very pleased with how the project came out. There's some more in-depth notes about how I built the models on my blog (link in my signature), but if you've got any questions, ask away :)

Archived