Calth: An Apologist and Doghouse True Scale Project Log

Doghouse

There's not much to add to what all the other guys have said. Only that I always considered Guilliman to be pretty much the least interesting Primarch and would have sworn I'd never ever get excited about a model of him...

...until I saw your conversion. Absolutely stunning. That is all.

The hair colour fits him perfectly, btw.

Whilst I have a different head-canon idea of what Guilliman's face looks like, yours is perfectly believable and works really well. [...]

Only tiny, really nitpicky bit of constructive criticism, which may be simply a case of the camera shot, is that in the first pic of Guilliman in your last post, the mkIV corpse looks like it has its neck at a really odd angle. Is it intended to look like he's had his neck snapped, or is the camera angle just making it look off?

Yeah, the corpse does look a bit odd, doesn't he? The base is unmodified from the original (Ferrus Manus'), which does have it at a funny angle. I guess being mashed in the head with Forgebreaker will do that :)

I'm not too bothered about it, as the base will only be used when Guilliman's on display (that is, rarely, if ever); I'll use the 40mm base instead for any gaming he turns up in.

I always imagined big Poppa G as having brown hair, still fantastic stuff! thumbsup.gif

I also never really pictured Guilliman as blond, not really looking like this – as BCA puts it, I've got a 'different head-canon' view. That said, I'd already had a go at making my version of Guilliman a few years back (he had darker hair, funnily enough), so this was really a chance to have a go at creating a version based on the current Horus Heresy series and newer artwork, rather than the older stuff I like so much :)

I like the first. I think guilliman as a stickler for the rules would definately have what his men have. Also- I like the aesthetic better.

Lol... Wow was I a few days late;) the PP pads are baller! That fella has the look of the leader of the great U! I think the sword is great btw. While guilliman is the leader he is also pragmatic and does not seem as ostentatious as some of his brothers- think a less ornate sword fits him well

Fantastic work

Thanks!

Busy weekend meant I only had time to do stuff in fits and starts. Awful for painting, but great for building. 

Tactical Marines

IMG_4113.JPG

Tactical Support Marine

IMG_4114.JPG

Argh – 3D printing lines. I'll have to give this chap another pass with the file. One of the drawbacks of hopping back and forth between tasks.

Assault Marines

IMG_4112.JPG

Cheers :)

Having a bit of a minor change of heart about the bases. I've been keeping them simple to make sure they're not drawing the eye from the models, but en masse, they're starting to look just a bit dull. I'm slightly concerned they'll drag down the look of the army, and wonder if I ought to go back and develop them a little more.

The dreadnough base is probably a good example of what I'd aim to do – add a little more uneveness to the ground, and some high contrast between the white snow and brown/black ground.

IMG_3944.JPG

Alternatively, a complete re-do from snow entirely – though I'd need to run this past Doghouse as I was the one who asked for snow in the first place rolleyes.gif

What do you reckon?

I would say that snow works well as a basing scheme for the Ultramarines. White is a key colour in the Ultramarines palette, recalling veterancy. It does also make one think of the Battle for Macragge. It does work well with both blue and red armour, and looks good with bloodstains, too. I would say your proposed solution is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking nice mate.

Not sure what to suggest with the bases, bit of a tricky one.

I've finally nailed down what I am hoping to do with mine once I get some free time to sit down and get some more down.

Rather than go the regular black and white approach of the Heresy I'm leaning more towards more of a literal grey area. I want my guys to be late to the fight, basically they missed Istvaan and were believed lost due to a reported malfunction of their ship's gellar field and the untimely death of their Astropath.

So these guys are all Terrans, die hard veterans of the Imperial Heralds that fought in the latter stages of the Unification Wars. As they unexpectedly arrive they join the fray, caught off guard Erebus sends them on basically a suicide mission to retake a seemingly insignificant secondary objective but sends troops loyal to himself to accompany them.

Sensing a trap and now believing that they have been betrayed not only by the humiliation that the Emperor committed against the Legion and the betrayal of Lorgar under the influence of Erebus they decide to basically to make a break for it by using the space port to take a space ship and get out of there.

What they don't realise though is that the Remembrancer that accompanies them is in fact a devotee of a lesser power of chaos that has plans for them.

I think it's less of a black and white approach where for the most part of the Heresy it is all about the traitors and loyalists this is more about a group of brothers that have lost faith in either side of the conflict and decide to go renegade. 

This will be the new Captain for my guys. Still very WIP and the pictures aren't great but I wanted to throw them up anyway.

Got the first tactical squad under way at the moment, with some Solar Auxila and Imperial Fists MKIII lids in the post so I should have some pictures up soon. I'm using the Company Masters heads this time as I like how the smaller size gives the body a much bulkier feeling.

I'm going for the grey armour as the idea is that they were out of communications range when Istvaan happened. Basically they arrive at Calth after finally making contact and despite a failed attempt to destroy their ship's Gellar field a the hands of a fanatical saboteur operating under the orders of Erebus they arrive in orbit.

With the chaos of battle in full swing and their ship heavily damaged they are ordered to take a minor space port on the planet. The intention is that Erebus is basically trying to kill them off but they attempt to turn things around and use the opportunity to steal a warp capable vessel.

The idea behind them is that they are neither loyalists or traitors. They've weighed up the odds and have decided to go renegade instead once they make it off the planet and to the nearest supply point. They feel they are thrice betrayed, first by the Emperor, secondly by the saboteur that tried to destroy them and now by Lorgar.

I'm aiming at a core force of Astartes, backed up by a small Auxilla of humans and some Ad Mech bits and pieces.

http://i60.tinypic.com/352el1d.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2enbzsw.jpg

Happy new year to you too mate.

Going for the grey now but i may do some red that can turn against them randomly in the game if all goes well. If I do I will probably do more MK III or MK II marines for that.

I think the Terran chapter is the Sundered Tower if I remember right, so these will be the 4th company. If I add any red ones they are most likely going to be from another chapter sent to over see their destruction.

renegades for the win!

Best way to go for any marines IMO, i'm interested in how the auxilia turn out, make them suitably badass, because it takes badasses to support astartes, especially if they're getting gunned at by loyalists and traitors alike.

biggrin.png

also, i ran outta likes this morning, soooooo........ ILIKETHATPOST. happy.png

Thanks mate! :)

I'm looking forward to the Auxila. The best part about including them is that it really drives home the scale of the Astartes.

I've ordered the storm section but will hopefully be getting the las-rifle and flamer sections next month.

It also makes it easier with vehicles as with the Auxila ones you don't need to rescale them. I'm hoping to include 4 rescaled dreadnoughts, maybe a predator using my old sculpted rhino chassis and an Mk IIb Landraider I've been playing around with.

Biggest problem is catching up with Ed and his ultras, so Auxila should give me a healthy boost.

The Auxila seem like an interesting choice for the Word Bearers, who originally mostly operated with cultists whom they considered to be mere cannon fodder. So will these Auxila be all pilgrim/cultist like as well, or will they maintain their more utilitarian feel?

No it wasn't cultists during the crusades but they did rely heavily on auxiliaries though.

This will still technically be a late crusade army, so will be going in more like an expeditionary force than Word Bearers accompanied by thousands of cultists which is what i think happened with Calth if I remember right? 

As the Terrans were mostly grouped into one chapter it seems reasonable that the Imperial Army Terrans would be thrown in too. I'll need to reread it.

Happy new year everyone.

The new Captain's looking spiffy. I really like that hand resting on the hilt of his sword – very commanding.  Looking forward to seeing the Auxilia, too. Any ideas on a colour scheme yet? Perhaps a nice orange and white for that 70s retro Star Wars feel?

+++

To kick things off with a bang, here's the Warrior-King himself, Roboute Guilliman:

IMG_4155.JPG

Love to hear what you think!

Really nice stuff mate, you really nailed it there. thumbsup.gif

No idea what-so-ever as to what colour to do my Auxial, they are quite nice though and scale very well alongside the marines. There are some nice little details like the gears and chains operating the bellows on the back pack for example, they have a very steampunk feel to them.

To make a full unit though I need either two more of the Veletaris sections or a lasrifle section and maybe a flamer section.

http://i62.tinypic.com/23sb2gh.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r5x4xg.jpg

Happy new year everyone.

The new Captain's looking spiffy. I really like that hand resting on the hilt of his sword – very commanding.  Looking forward to seeing the Auxilia, too. Any ideas on a colour scheme yet? Perhaps a nice orange and white for that 70s retro Star Wars feel?

+++

To kick things off with a bang, here's the Warrior-King himself, Roboute Guilliman:

IMG_4155.JPG

Love to hear what you think!

Screw my Glottkin model, your Ultras are now my sordid Warhammer dirty little secret, and that pains me to say as a Word Bearer player. 

Archived