Calth: An Apologist and Doghouse True Scale Project Log

Doghouse

The whole concept of Space Marine scouts is a bit odd I think. Isn't it normally the scouts are veterans rather then complete rookies?

Only in the Space Wolves - their new recruits become Blood Claws, whilst their Scout Companies are made up of Veterans. All other Legions/Chapters use recruits as Scouts.

Doghouse: It is possible to make full-grown men into Astartes, but it is much more difficult and has a much higher rate of failure. They also never turn out as powerful as Astartes that begin their induction process as youngsters. A lot of the Knights Caliban were full grown men when they were made into Astartes (Luther, for example).

Well, I can disabuse you of the cheapness – part of the reason I'm rationing them out is because they were obscenely expensive to have 3D printed. Ate up most of my hobby budget for about three months

That seems a little odd, I've got a couple friends with printers they've been tinkering with, one of them even printing out some 40k things from Thingiverse, and they keep telling me how cheap they can make things.  I suppose most of that cost must've gone towards the 3d sculpting - hourly for a digital artist can be pretty expensive!

That's part of the appeal of smaller games. In Rogue Trader you could quite happily have a game with a dozen models; and even now my favourite games are 1000pts or below. Just enough stuff to be interesting, but less time invested in the game. Makes for happier results in my experience

My friends and I have actually been doing 1k points most often, as well.  It fits well on a 4x4 table, so it's even easier to find places to play, makes terrain setup go much quicker.  So long as no one is getting cheeky with double land raider builds or soemthing, it's some good, quick fun, often quick enough that we can get 2 games in where we used to only do one 1500 point match.

I like the color choices you've made on your Contemptor, the white eagle ties him together with the base great, and the muted/dirty gold you've used throughout the army keeps the models feeling gritty and real.

Doghouse: It is possible to make full-grown men into Astartes, but it is much more difficult and has a much higher rate of failure. They also never turn out as powerful as Astartes that begin their induction process as youngsters. A lot of the Knights Caliban were full grown men when they were made into Astartes (Luther, for example).

And Kor Phaeron of the Word Bearers! I'd love to see some more marine characters who are sort of 'inferior Astartes' like that!

Just wanted to post a quick progress update as I am really trying to get these guys done but don't have a lot of free time at the moment.

I've got the first five marines nearly built now, just got the arms to do which is pretty straight forward and I've added a few interesting bits to their armour that Ed might like.

I've taken a closer look at the army list and you can actually field true space marine scouts along the lines of the modern version by swapping out their power armour for Recon armour that reduces their save to 4+ but gives infiltrate and move through cover. I'm starting to lean towards including a recon element for these guys now and have some devious plans that may work quite well.

I'll try and get some shots up of the first five today if I can. Nice work on the Ultras Ed, really loving those Contemptors. I may have to try and get my Fury dreadnought up and running for this game but at the moment the most frustrating part is having to focus on the tactical marines to get the bulk of the army in place first.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate, it should be pretty cool. :)

Got the first five built now but I'm a little pushed for free time at the moment  but will update asap.

Ed, for my red I am using Khorne red over a black under coat, highlighting by mixing in a little white and then going over them with a baal red wash and shading with brown washes.

beautiful work guys, i was thinking of doin the calth thing with a friend but i think ill just live through you guys instead. im love the way your trying to bring back a little rogue trader epic space marine/titanicus flavour, makes me all warm and nostalgically squishy inside thinking about it. 

so whats the admission fee to watch you two play, id pay to watch the wordbearers finish off the sons of gulliman :D

I've got the first five marines nearly built now, just got the arms to do which is pretty straight forward and I've added a few interesting bits to their armour that Ed might like.

I've taken a closer look at the army list and you can actually field true space marine scouts along the lines of the modern version by swapping out their power armour for Recon armour that reduces their save to 4+ but gives infiltrate and move through cover. I'm starting to lean towards including a recon element for these guys now and have some devious plans that may work quite well.

Looking forward to seeing those first five – and the scouts sound like fun, too. Tempted to go for a Rogue Trader style with the puffed sleeves? :)

I just read through this thread. Wonderful stuff! Brilliant to see two such icons of truescaling doing a project together.

Thanks very much!

Ed, for my red I am using Khorne red over a black under coat, highlighting by mixing in a little white and then going over them with a baal red wash and shading with brown washes.

Ta! I'll see if I can stick with that for any scattered bits of armour that end up on the bases/scenery. Speaking of which, the PCRC and I have been building ork terrain recently (hence the quiet period), which has got me itching to get some stuff made for this project.

beautiful work guys, i was thinking of doin the calth thing with a friend but i think ill just live through you guys instead. im love the way your trying to bring back a little rogue trader epic space marine/titanicus flavour, makes me all warm and nostalgically squishy inside thinking about it.

so whats the admission fee to watch you two play, id pay to watch the wordbearers finish off the sons of gulliman biggrin.png

Ha ha! Careful what you wish for! :)

Joking aside, it would be fun to meet up somewhere so people can come and watch. Have to work something out once we've got the armies a bit more complete.

+++

On a related side project, I got the Epic bug again recently (too much reading of old rulebooks and looking at pics of old Epic games).

Here's the first Rhino and a couple of Legion Tactical stands (including a Captain).

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

I thought it'd be fun to build some Word Bearers to face off against my Ultramarines army for a classic 'red vs blue' Horus Heresy extravaganza. These were fairly quick to build. The Rhino's a classic lead veteran of the battles of the 90s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

out once we've got the armies a bit more complete.

+++

On a related side project, I got the Epic bug again recently (too much reading of old rulebooks and looking at pics of old Epic games).

Here's the first Rhino and a couple of Legion Tactical stands (including a Captain).

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

I thought it'd be fun to build some Word Bearers to face off against my Ultramarines army for a classic 'red vs blue' Horus Heresy extravaganza. These were fairly quick to build. The Rhino's a classic lead veteran of the battles of the 90s.

Whilst the rest of this thread is seriously cool, I would really like to know where in particular you found the bolter-carrying Marines above - they certainly aren't the regular GW-made bolter marines from Epic? This is really cool stuff, I'll be showing it to a friend of mine who's trying to revive Epic in our area.

+ Data-scrubbing inload portals +

+ Redacting and recompiling +

+ Putting up HUD +

+ Compiling ab incunabulis +

+ Pilot cradle stabilised +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Vid-inload banks lit +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Re-abling actuation +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Choke fully engaged +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Proc-scrubbing +

+ Vox activation +

+ Who Disturbs My Slumber? +

Brother Strix of the Talon Adamantine
IMG_3928.JPG

That which was broken can be repaired. How then, can that which is repaired remain broken?
Meditations of Konor, Vol. II., from the Primarch's select librarium

IMG_3948.JPG

The ill-omened Brother Strix suffered a series of calamitous injuries that rendered him incapable of Legion warfare late in the Hypon campaign; losing both arms below the elbow along with a substantial portion of his torso. He was recovered and recommended as suitable for Dreadnought incarceration, and was implanted into the Contemptor chassis Kratos.

IMG_3946.JPG
The chassis had formerly borne Brother Calamatan, a member of the Librarius who had been amongst the few 'psi-pilots' that used a crys-stack interface to bond with the Dreadnought suit. Calamatan opted to be honorably euthanised after the Edict of Nikea rendered him unable to interface with the suit. He is memorialised as the first pilot on the lower portion of the left leg of
Kratos' chassis.

IMG_3945.JPG
In common with many Dreadnoughts, Contemptor weapons are reconfigurable, though each member of a Talon tends to have their preferred armament. Strix is pictured here with a Terran-pattern power fist with built-in combi-bolter. Note the honorific script on the shoulder pauldron; this area is commonly used amongst the XIII to record events of particular note associated with the weapon; much like a Titan's weapons banner. In this way, the battle gear is recorded and honoured.

IMG_3947.JPG
On
Kratos' left arm, Strix has mounted a Lo-Hsüan pattern melta cannon. This marks him as part of a Iericos-class Siege assault Talon. Below the cannon, on Kratos' right leg, Strix's personal heraldry can be seen. The flesh-eating owl motif is a – fairly unimaginative – reference to his name.

IMG_3952.JPG

+++

Bit of hobby burn-out on my part, I'm afraid... well, that coupled with the fact I got engaged last month smile.png

As a result, the project's been on the backburner, though having sat down and dug through my models, I've started to get the enthusiasm rotor spinning slowly once more. That's been fuelled by some successful experimentation...

Gunmetal

I recently stumbled on a really quick and easy method for doing reflective metallics, which I thought might work well for Word Bearers. Have a look at these pics, which show the same test figure being turned under a fixed light, and shot from the same position. I think that reflective effect works nicely.

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

This slightly blurry pic shows how reflective it is, and how well it shows up interesting textures – the light at the bottom point of the pauldron is reflected from a black surface!

IMG_3942.JPG

Godsdammit Apologist, there I was being all stoic and refusing to do a melta Contemptor for my Heresy Angels, and then you come along with that little beauty.

Godsdammit.

Heh – he's a rescue job (from ebay, I think); so glad he turned out happily. I'm really enjoying your blog – fantastically evoactive background married to gorgeous modelling and paintwork – so if I can offer any crumb that adds to the glorious IX, I'll be pleased. :)

ohmy.png

The metals. Could you please share your recipe? Such a cool effect.

Thanks very much, and it'd be my pleasure: I simply used an HB pencil. Took about twenty seconds for each pauldron! :)

I've written up a few more thoughts on the technique (and its limitations) on my blog, Death of A Rubricist, if you'd like to know more. That said, I don't want to 'post-poach' by linking you off-site – it's really just as simple as drawing on your models with a pencil.

Pretty results, aren't they? I imagine the technique would work well alongside traditional metallics for Iron Warriors.

Archived