True-Scale Deathwatch (24/10 - Guardian of the Covenant)

They all look good so far, Mol. Could you tell me where the left arm on the Librarian comes from? It looks pretty well proportioned with the rest of the bits you've used on him so far. Have you thought about using the arms from the Tartaros Terminator kits on your marines? They look like they would fit the scale of the rest of the bits you are using and provide more variety and posability than the plastic Indomitus pattern arms.

What you need to remember when working with both FW and GW marine parts is that there is a horrid miss-match in scale. My truescaling is usually MkIII/IV plates and GW plastic plates, and the GW is about 2mm or so larger in all areas. When making them both the same size, I tend to add extra p'card to the FW marines.

Keep it coming though, always nice for another truescaler to join the family!

Haven't heard of the Sun Titans, but they look imaginative. Any background you could share or link to?

The Sun Titans are Bruticus's custom Space Marine chapter. There's fluff for them here and here. And also make sure to check out the first actual model. It's glorious!

:blink.:

Freaking hell I need to learn how to paint gold!!!

You have the heart of builder, Mol. These are really coming together. The Space Wolf is a great mix of bits, and brings back memories as a kid of my prized 3rd edition Codex with this brute on the cover. I think it's the axe. The pelts flow well with the model's composition. And look at the balls on you, just realized you tore up Krom Dragongaze to source most of the parts.

So… surely the quicker you finish the Deathwatch, the closer we get to seeing some Castigators, eh? :wink:

Yeah, I think the Krom model was based on that codex cover - the axe is certainly very similar, and the pose is close. I'd like to have the arm outstretched and firing his bolter, but I need to get the arms to do that - and then it is quite similar to the pose of the Templar I've worked on. I'm not sure at the moment.

As for Castigators - I definitely intend for it to be the case. The biggest thing here is that in order for Castigators to work, I need to sort the shoulder pad situation out! (I will post at the end here with something...)

They all look good so far, Mol. Could you tell me where the left arm on the Librarian comes from? It looks pretty well proportioned with the rest of the bits you've used on him so far. Have you thought about using the arms from the Tartaros Terminator kits on your marines? They look like they would fit the scale of the rest of the bits you are using and provide more variety and posability than the plastic Indomitus pattern arms.

The Librarian as in that picture has an arm from the Grey Knights terminators, and a finecast arm from the Terminator Librarian. I have fiddled with some Tartaros arms - here's an early prototype from Marines that I and my friend Dan were working on:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Titus1.png

You can see that the Tartaros arms do have some potential, and look somewhat similar to Mk VIII armour arms, but you need to bulk out the tops of them for the terminator shoulder pads to sit properly.

Darth - here's something else Dan worked on:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Titus2.png

Most of my modelling today has been on Orks, which obviously won't be shown here. I put a little time into the Black Templar, removing one of his Templar shoulderpads and replacing it with a Deathwatch one. I ended up having to trim the rim off, as I did with the Space Wolf, so that the posing would work. I don't think it looks atrociously bad to have a Deathwatcher without that raised rim.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Team2.jpg

Also, here's the Librarian, with the Finecast arm removed. I decided that I didn't like it too much.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Librarian2.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Librarian1.png

Underneath you can also see the visual brainstorm I've been doing with the model. I'm planning on GSing the top half of his robe, which will help him look more like a Librarian, and also he'll need the two cables for his psychic hood. Beyond that, I'm a little stuck for his pose. I could go with Grey Knight arms to have him holding the Staff in both hands, like the newest plastic Librarian, or perhaps look at changing the staff for another weapon - a force sword or force axe, for example.

The head (which isn't glued) is just a placeholder til I find something suitable. I do like the Sevrin Loth figure, with the Mk IV head, and a plastic one could fit nicely. But then again, I know someone will say that Space Marine characters should be unhelemeted and I do take that on board. An outlier option could be a hooded head from the Dark Angels sprues.

I'm not sure at the moment. I do like the decoration on the tabard, and wouldn't want to cover that up, though arms across the chest could help disguise any ugly green-stuffing I do. It seems like the two options seem to be "two handed staff" or "staff up, other arm casting spell."

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The Tartaros arms certainly do have a lot of potential, thanks for posting the pics of the marine with them.  I think that the addition of the rest of the robe and the cables for the psychic hood will really make the librarian stand out.  I vote for a helmeted head with cables added to it like Loth's mini from FW.  I don't think that characters need to have bare heads, the extra details that you are planning should be more than enough to make him stand out.  As for the Castigators, have you considered having your friend sculpt a couple of shoulder pads and then making a mold of them and casting them yourself?  He could make them for the different marks of armor MK II-VIII and that would give you some variety when building your marines.

One last thing I forgot to mention is the weapons for your librarian.  I would like to see him with a force axe held at his side and firing a bolter.  I just like the look and idea of the force axe as a psychic weapon.  You also can't go wrong with a bolter as a weapon for a space marine.

Certainly a nice start on the Librarian, adding the cloth and pipe work to the body will solidify the front of the fig. I think for a weapon the staff works well, but i'd swap it out for the plastic librarian staff top - the Grey Knight staff is getting far too much use it's not looking unique enough any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the opportunity this evening to get some modelling time in, and I took the opportunity. Whilst some of tonight's endeavours focused around re-working existing figures, I have also fiddled with trying to create some more. Part of this has been trying to hybridise my older true-scale attempts (Terminator torsos) against my newer (Tartaros torsos.) The two haven't worked particularly well together, and I intend to go back and look at my inspiration threads - Apologist's chief amongst them.

In the meantime, here are the two figures I worked on today that I figured deserved photographing.

Firstly, my Scythes of the Emperor Marine:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/2014/HeavyBolter3.jpg

I've attached his backpack and shoulder pad. I'm using a shoulder pad from the Wolf Guard terminators with a string of wolf teeth - or, should I say, Tyranid teeth from the futile defense of Sotha. I liked the story Orphans of the Kraken where Thrasius, the new Chapter Master, seconds 40 of the surviving Scythes to the Deathwatch in order to remove opposition to his plans to rebuild the Chapter. I like the idea that this Marine would be a bitter one, who sees his secondment to the Deathwatch as a punishment to be endured. He feels betrayed by the new Master of his Chapter. I have removed the Crux Terminatus from his Heavy Bolter, replacing it instead with a sideways-facing skull from the Assault Terminators Thunder Hammers. I remember that the symbol of the Relictors - a sideways facing skull- was mentioned as a penitence marking, and wonder if the Marine has added the mark to atone for his wrongdoing?

Also, I pulled the Librarian apart and cut out a fair chunk of the Tartaros torso in an attempt to make the two parts fit slightly better. I doubt that it would be that noticeable, but it helps to marry the two pieces closer together. I've changed the previous (placeholder) head for the one from the plastic librarian and realised that I could make a slight and subtle change with the staff arm to make it a great deal more dynamic:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/2014/Librarian2.jpg

I've started green-stuffing the sash onto the Librarian, but have nothing to show thus far. I spent some time thinking about how to move the Librarian forward and have decided that he will be a blackshield - a piece of fluff that I enjoyed from the FFG roleplay. I imagine him as a dark and sinister soul, widely distrusted within the walls of the Watch-Fortress. I considered using a hooded head from the Deathwing Knights but figured that people would simply think that he is a Dark Angel or a fallen Dark Angel. I like the Librarian head and though that painting could help bring a new dimension to the model.

A little bit quiet in here!

I've been struggling a little bit with the true-scaled Space Marines. True-scale often seems to me to be about fooling the eye - about creating the appearance of huge, imposing and impressive Astartes. Rather than full-on technical accuracy, you are trying to create an impression.

As I discussed in my first post, I've tried a few different techniques, and have had a number of failed and abortive attempts of true-scale:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/TSDeathwatch/ultramarine003.jpg

I felt dissatisfied by the terminator legs that were splayed - I couldn't quite convince myself that they didn't look a little silly. Plus, as others had pointed out, the power armoured arms gave the impression of a T-Rex. As a result, my project stalled. The idea of using a terminator torso was one I liked, though. But trying to mix the older Terminator bits with the Tartaros pieces hasn't turned out great.

So, first things first, here's the Librarian as he stands:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Librarian3.png

The sash - such as it is - is nowhere near finished; I was simply using up some spare greenstuff to begin to provide a base layer for the model. I put back the finecast arm from the Terminator librarian - instead of outstretched and doing the classic "wizard casting" post, I tried it out pointing to the ground. I quite liked the impression this gave - perhaps he is marshalling his inner focus before unleashing his psychic potential against his enemies. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the arm seems a little thinner than the Grey Knights one holding the force staff. (And, based on earlier feedback, I will look at replacing the top to make it less distinctive...)

I also liked the idea that he doesn't have a ranged weapon in his hands - that he is a weapon in itself.

Okay, so back to comparisons:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Comparison1.png

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Comparison.png

In the upper picture you have my current Space Wolves WIP, my previous Sword Bearers Deatwatcher (made primarily from Terminator parts) and an attempt I've made at using the classic "terminator front" torso on Tartaros legs. In the second picture, you can see that same prototype against the Librarian WIP and an obliging Storm Trooper for a scale reference. I don't want to use the angled Tartaros torso for every Marine - butI worry that the plastic torso is too narrow and that I simply won't be able to use them. I don't want to have to scratch-sculpt torsos, because I feel that I won't be able to produce something of the requisite quality. I feel that the plastic torsos could well work - and this is the question - can it simply be a case of "fooling the eye?"

Mol, you may want to take a page for the plasticard true scalers and raise the plastic terminator torso by 1mm thick card, and then make a 1.5 mm thick space between the joins of the torso to give the model the inverted triangular shape. From shoulder to hips.

That Librarian is excellent! Plus I still love that Space Wolf something fierce!

As for the right torsos to use, have you given the GK Terminators a try? Both the arms and torso have worked really well on my own TS Marine, so that option might we worth a look.

I think you're shooting an arrow at what you consider a single target, when in reality, there's actually 2 more targets on either side. There's choice methinks.

All 3 of the methods work, and work well, but like with anything, it's how you sell it and dress it up. Sure, standing there a little down and humble with bare bones, no equipment, arms and no shoulders he looks out of scale and out of place compared to all the scaled and finnished models. I would wager a guess that if you went about dressing your smaller/plastic torso model up accordingly, there wouldn't be as many visual flaws (like you said, its about fooling the eye). When you hit that point, you can then identify what might need to be changed, and what positive, realistic additions you can make.

The great thing with space marines in the artwork and model form, is that there is room for style. Some of the creators on the boards favour massive legs and greaves on their work, and opt for more subtle tops, where as some prefer torso heavy renditions. Others stick to the Davinci scale standard (an opinion my personal taste is against, as a unarmoured 7-8 foot tall, 3 lung 2 heart, fused ribcage holding, 400-800 pound muscled behemoth that is absolutely inhuman, would not measure up to).

My advice, choose the style and look you like, that your budget will allow, and that you can use the bits you already own. Make some honest compromises with some of the sizing issues, and force the eye to be distracted at something else that covers it up. Feel the torso is too thin without bulk? Raise the torso up with card or a ball of greenstuff and wrap ammo bandoliers/holster/knife/doodad around. Arms seem to small? Make sure they are always holding items out as an extention of their arm to fool the eye. Head not sitting well and looks small? Greenstuff ball the neck and add weight onto your shoulders, or drop the height of the backpack, or drap some trappings over them.

If you don't want to use the same tartaros termi chest over and over, don't! You have shown you can work and create unique and fascinating designs, keep that up - that doubt you are expressing is all part of knowing how the proverbial sausage is made.

Edited by Candleshoes

Candleshoes - thank you, sincerely, for the heartfelt and thought-provoking post. I will endeavour to try to engage with my prototypes to see if I can advance them to a point where I'm happy with them. I hope to hear more from you as the project advances!

Kraut - at your behest, I have put together a torso with the Grey Knights front, so we will see how that looks.

In the meantime - this is the first time I've ever had to contend with the bandwidth of my photobucket running out. Hopefully those pictures will be restored soon.

So, I have made some progress with the Librarian:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Librarian3_zps8cd0db7a.jpg

I've replaced the finecast arm with one from the Chaos Terminator Lord. I've tried using Grey Knight hands to emulate the casting hand from the Terminator Librarian, but none of them looked particularly good. At the moment, I'm looking at power armoured hands. I've cut the top off the staff as Midian/El DIablo suggested, and will be looking for something to replace it with. I might well see if I can eBay the plastic librarian's staff and use the horned skull from it. I've used a backpack with an Inquisitorial symbol - as a blackshield, the Librarian has no Chapter iconography. His loyalties are to the Deathwatch now. I might well be looking at having a parchment covering most of the shoulder pad to reinforce the fact that he has no chapter anymore. I still need to work on his tabard, and the cables for his psychic hood.

Also, I have started work on my first Castigator miniature:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Barge_zps92a579b0.jpg

Perhaps not so miniature. This will be the Castigators Battle Barge Holy Enterprise, carrying the Second and Fifth Companies to the Swordpoint Stars. I'm keen to pick up whatever Imperial Navy vessels I can, though eBay is very expensive nowadays.

More progress soon, I hope. I look forward to your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky, snagging that Battlebarge. Good luck on acquiring the rest of the fleet.:smile.:

The Librarian is shaping up to be very impressive... You were thinking about parchments over his right shoulder. But seeing how, as a Librarian, he is already used to standing apart from his brothers, wouldn't he use the stark black expanse of his shoulderpad as a shield and deterrent/challenge? Discouraging his fellow Deathwatch from approaching him even more?  Enforcing his self-appointed isolation through it?

If you think the pad would be too bare like that, you could consider either putting a black shield in relief on it, or dotting the edge with Deathwatch/Inquisitional service or loyalty markings? After all this is a marine who has given himself mind, body and soul to the Deathwatch, and through that, the Ordo Xenos. He will have seen a lot of action, maybe even be partially initiated in the Ordo Xenos itself, and be marked for it. Little stuff on the edges will work to emphasize the emptiness of the pad while adding detail.

As for the torsos, you could divide them as works/doesn't work, but there are many different body types and builds. This goes for humans, and probably for marines as well... And people tend to ascribe certain temperaments to certain body types. That terminator torso on top of that wide stance, depending on the arms and weapons you give him, could either show the marine in question to be a sort of immovable object, dour, stubborn and heavy handed, or a freight train, once he gets moving he will run roughshod through everything. Either way, his approach isn't about speed or finesse or skill, but sheer brute strength.

What I'm trying to say, in a roundabout way, is to look at the sort of character you want to portray and find the torso/bodyshape that suits it best, for that one instance. Marines are individuals, not clone troopers. Use that to your advantage.

The Silent - I was really pleased when I read your post. It really does help me to validate my ideas and move forward with what I'm doing. With my background in INQ28 it should be no surprise that I think of characters, but it really does reinforce that (especially in the context of the Deathwatch) that I need to think of them as characters.

So, with term starting I'm back at work, but I have tried to continue with the project. Here's my latest haul from eBay:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Haul.jpg

So that's:

• A Tartaros Squad
  • Asterion Moloc's body and shield
  • Finecast Marneus Calgar

• A Justaerin Torso

• A Cataphracti Torso

• A Legion Tartaros Torso

• A plastic tactical torso with respirator

So straight away I started to move forward with some of the concepts I had.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Minotaur.jpg

Moloc's legs are at a bit of an odd angle, given that he comes with a piece of rockery. I started by removing the foot to try to put it at a more normal angle (you can see this on the left) but it ended up that I had to saw the leg and repose it slightly (which you can see on the right.)

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Legs11.jpg

Here you can see the Minotaur legs and another pair or Tartaros legs that I've sawn and re-posed to be raised on a rock. The rock, incidentally, came from Marneus Calgar's base, but that was only because I had it to hand and that's the tend of converter I tend to be. I was heavily inspired by this model by Apologist. Both of these will come together with gear on the belts and some careful work on the groin ribbing to disguise where I've sawn them apart.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Lamenter.jpg

Some of you might recognise these legs as the ones I originally used on the Sun Titans, though I was never able to fully make the model realise my mental image. As a result, I'm planning on using the legs (and almost certainly this torso) as the basis for my Lamenter. The relief on the shin could easily be a death-mask of Sanguinius, and the filigree works with a Blood Angels successor. The Cataphracti torso gives some nice bulk, and the banding echoes that on the Phoenix Guard legs.

One of my main reasons for acquiring Marneus Calgar was for his head, which I've often overlooked but which I think could be very good on one of my figures. So here it is in a different context:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Calgar.jpg

Lastly, my team as it stands:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/team.jpg

Edited by Commissar Molotov

The Silent - I was really pleased when I read your post. It really does help me to validate my ideas and move forward with what I'm doing. With my background in INQ28 it should be no surprise that I think of characters, but it really does reinforce that (especially in the context of the Deathwatch) that I need to think of them as characters.

Took me a while before I tweaked to it, but I found that the characters that I ascribed personality to while working on them, tended to end up my favorites, and  were generally more evocative models. 

Once the coin dropped I started trying to do it on purpose.... :wink:  

Those new additions look promising! I especially like the last picture, it shows that the squad as a whole can look coherent and has a nice sense of movement, even in it's early stages.

If you ever need to make SLIGHT adjustments to the FW/resin legs to get a better pose, hairdryers work like a charm. Just for reference, man.  :smile.:

Awesome stuff so far!

An interesting concept - I think I might have to see someone doing it before being brave enough to give it a try myself!

Thank you for the comment - I always appreciate your feedback.

Took me a while before I tweaked to it, but I found that the characters that I ascribed personality to while working on them, tended to end up my favorites, and  were generally more evocative models. 

Once the coin dropped I started trying to do it on purpose.... :wink:  

Those new additions look promising! I especially like the last picture, it shows that the squad as a whole can look coherent and has a nice sense of movement, even in it's early stages.

Interestingly, I have found that by default I tend to have my characters looking and moving from left to right - the Space Wolf and Black Templar are in almost identical poses, though there is enough differentiation for them to look different. I just have to try to add some more characters going the other way!

Some of my Kill-Team have more detail and background than others. I'm still trying to formulate concepts for the other team-members. I'm intending to create eleven Deathwatchers for the team - a ten-man Squad and the Librarian attached to them. 

Epistolary Tancrede Blackshield (Chapter Expunged)

Force Staff

Watch-Sergeant - Chapter

-

Brother Gottfried Black Templars

Bolt Pistol, Sword

Brother - Space Wolves

-

Brother Julion Scythes of the Emperor

Heavy Bolter

Veteran of the Chapter, forcibly posted by Master Thrasius

Brother Lacryma Lamenters

-

Brother Kleon Minotaurs

Sword, Shield, Bolter

Brother - Crimson Fists

-

Brother - Chapter

-

Brother - Chapter

-

The Watch-Sergeant

I want the leader of the Kill-Team to be a noble and interesting character. I have considered a Marine from the White Consuls (I could use Forgeworld's Raptor pads) but I could perhaps use Gottfried the Templar, which could provide an interesting counterpoint to the untrustworthy Blackshield Psyker. It's something to consider, and it could potentially free up a slot for another Marine.

The Space Wolf

The big thing with my Space Wolf is coming up with a useful name for him. In part it will depend on the head that I end up using for him - is he a hoary old veteran, or a fiery warrior in the prime of youth? Given that Space Wolves tend to be [NAME] [NICKNAME], it would be good to come up with a nickname for him.

The Crimson Fist

I'm keen to include a Crimson Fists Marine. They're one of my favourite Chapters, they link back to the earliest days of Rogue Trader, and I've always loved this artwork. Particularly the fact that the Crimson Fists have such a particular hatred for the Orks, and this Kill-Team is engaged against the Greenskin menace assailing the Swordpoint Stars.

The Shark

I'm not a huge fan of how the Space Sharks have become the Carcharadons - aspects of their fluff really don't mesh with their mental picture. I've always been a fan of the Space Sharks created by Captain Tiberius:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/Space_Shark.jpg

I'm not sure whether I can include a Space Sharks character (or perhaps twist them to become Void Sharks or the like?) Equally, the comments earlier in the thread do make a salient point that with the Lamenters and the Minotaurs, I don't want to have too many of the Badab War Chapters in one thread, lest it seem like I'm just compiling Chapters favoured by Forge World.

Apothecary

I have the narthecium from the Grey Knights boxed set, and am keen to include an Apothecary in the team. With Marines from so many Chapters, it is important to safeguard their genetic legacy. I'm just not sure which Chapter the Marine should come from. I don't want to combine the Apothecary character and the Crimson Fist - I don't think that Apothecaries would be spared from such an endangered Chapter. As a result, I'm not sure what to do with this character concept.

Any comments or insight your guys might want to throw my way would certainly be appreciated!

Edited by Commissar Molotov

First off, such an awesome topic! I can only agree with Firepower - the Sun Titan Marine seen from your blog is fantastic, especially the helm :wub.:

Secondly, the matter of the Apothecary. Have you considered taking on one of the lesser known Chapters/Chapters with little or no fluff? There are quite a few that could do with some attention and I'd love to see what you'd make of one :smile.:

Mol, when I saw that Ebay haul photo, my mouth started to water - great assortment!

There is so much potential in the bits and pieces you are weaving together, and when you posted up the group-shot of the deathwatch team as is, I was just blown away. They look so great together, and character is just oozing off each respectively.

Looking back at some of your worries, the variety in model, pose and look is no longer even remotely seen. You are truly creating art-scale work, with your own flare, just as good as the best of them.

Chapter suggestions - for an apothecary, the Greek based Iron Snakes from Ithaka have an apothecary for every 10 of their marines, they might be a good choice for the arm, and they are well known, but not very often made by fans (Sabbat Worlds Crusade). As for one of the others, don't forget the sons of Ferrus, to help rep that cold, ruthless, logic!

Perhaps for the Apothecary, you could look among the Ultramarines succesor chapters? According to the background they are the most numerous, plus the Ultramarines geneseed still has all the implants, so the Apothecary would not be lacking necessary knowledge when aiding brothers from another chapter.

I'd always advise going with a Howling Griffon (but that's personal preference...:wink: ). But you could also opt for something like the Aurora Chapter, Novamarines, the Iron Snakes is indeed a good one. Or you could do a nod to Inquisitor's Brother-Captain Artemis and take Mortifactor?

I like the idea of a Mortifactor Apothecary, for one his nickname/callsign in the squad could be "Bones" (Damnit Brother! I'm an Apothecary, not a Tech-Adept!) and he could have a hilariously morbid attitude about his duties that leaves all his patients feeling somehow worse than when came to him, despite being perfectly fine. :biggrin.:

Also, may I suggest an Iron Champion for another squad member? Deathwatch or no, he'd look awesome with that skull design on his helmet. :)

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

• 2 weeks later...