True-Scale Deathwatch (24/10 - Guardian of the Covenant)

The Sword Bearer is coming along well, though I feel the helmet actually detracts a little bit from the knightly aesthetic at the moment. The iconic blunt-nosed front of the Mk. VII helm breaks up those sharp angles carried across the suit. I think checking out one of the helms from Sevrin Loth's HG or even the new Imperial Fist Commander's laureled helm could go a long way in continuing that definitive look.

Such great models, may I ask what one will be the scythe or haven't you got to him yet?

The Scythe was actually the first dedicated model I made for this project! 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/JULION_zpshh2bb3zt.png

My thoughts are that whilst for some, posting in the Deathwatch is an honour, for Brother Julion here it is a punishment. He is one of the thirty or so brothers of the Scythes of the Emperor dispatched to the Deathwatch by Chapter Master Thrasius; removed for speaking his mind against the new Chapter Master. He seethes with resentment that he was taken away from his brothers at such a critical point in their history. 

The model came about simply because of the Grave Warden legs - the fact that they had the crossed scythes on them immediately lit a lightbulb in my head. I knew that I wanted a Scythe in my Kill-team. I gave him a Space Wolf pad with dangling teeth, reasoning that they might be from Tyranids, but I would like to have a pad with crossed scythes on them. I need to potentially look into GS moulding or the like to try to get them on there. 

The sharp lines and rivets on the Sword Bearer's chestpiece, plus the armour addition from the centurion were just meant for that model.

You couldn't of picked a better helm for it, the laurel is perfect.

The Sword Bearer is coming along well, though I feel the helmet actually detracts a little bit from the knightly aesthetic at the moment. The iconic blunt-nosed front of the Mk. VII helm breaks up those sharp angles carried across the suit. I think checking out one of the helms from Sevrin Loth's HG or even the new Imperial Fist Commander's laureled helm could go a long way in continuing that definitive look.

The helm was a placeholder - I had planned to give him a bare head, and the same bare head from the previous version of the model. That said, I am keen to include a Mk VII helm somewhere, because the helmets I have in the team thus far are Mk II, III and IV. I need to inject some 40k into the team! 

Love the scythe! I would remove the "tripod" in the front, doesnt seem like something a marine would have use for. Berhaps change it for a chain-bayonette? (Not sure if that would be more useful, but it could look brutal maybe)

Such great models, may I ask what one will be the scythe or haven't you got to him yet?

The Scythe was actually the first dedicated model I made for this project!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/JULION_zpshh2bb3zt.png

My thoughts are that whilst for some, posting in the Deathwatch is an honour, for Brother Julion here it is a punishment. He is one of the thirty or so brothers of the Scythes of the Emperor dispatched to the Deathwatch by Chapter Master Thrasius; removed for speaking his mind against the new Chapter Master. He seethes with resentment that he was taken away from his brothers at such a critical point in their history.

The model came about simply because of the Grave Warden legs - the fact that they had the crossed scythes on them immediately lit a lightbulb in my head. I knew that I wanted a Scythe in my Kill-team. I gave him a Space Wolf pad with dangling teeth, reasoning that they might be from Tyranids, but I would like to have a pad with crossed scythes on them. I need to potentially look into GS moulding or the like to try to get them on there.

The sharp lines and rivets on the Sword Bearer's chestpiece, plus the armour addition from the centurion were just meant for that model.

You couldn't of picked a better helm for it, the laurel is perfect.

The helm was a placeholder - I had planned to give him a bare head, and the same bare head from the previous version of the model. That said, I am keen to include a Mk VII helm somewhere, because the helmets I have in the team thus far are Mk II, III and IV. I need to inject some 40k into the team!

Ah man he is AWESOME!!! I love how you've delved into the history of my fav chapter (and current project my self) love his little back story you've added

Sword bearer looks awesome! Even though might seem to some it's just "simple" GS work, really impressed with the smooth work on the chest. Both helmets are awesome but I personally prefer the original one.

Keep it up :)

Thanks guys, I do really appreciate all the comments - especially from those of you who rescued me from the third page oblivion! 

I'm heading to Warhammer World tomorrow and will hopefully get a few shots of these guys in situ, but here's the pictures of the squad as it stands. I've managed to assemble eight (and a half) of my 11 - these pictures have lots of sticky-tack keeping things together, so excuse a few things at funny angles. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Killteam1_zpsudby6aw5.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Marines%20-%20Copy_zpsqkkbghoy.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Wolf_zpsh9ji1ovz.jpg

Pretty happy with how the wolf is turning out - Captain Karlaen's arm was a great choice, but I'm having trouble filing the BA shoulder pad down enough that the Deathwatch pad sits comfortably on top. 

Hey, thanks for the response! The Crimson Fist is a model I'm deeply dissatisfied with; he feels very doughy and floaty. I definitely need to work with the model. I'm probably thinking that I would give him a different chest. Probably moving him away from that seminal artwork and to something inspired by Bob Hunk's fists! Another aspect is that I want to give more of the kill-team bolters, to move towards the idea of the Astartes!

I agree the power fist (crimson fist?) guy looks a bit off. if you apwant to keep him striding maybe think about him raising a bolter or side arm and move the fist a little closer to his side as well as a bit forward, may help give him a bit of swagger. They are all coming together as a squad nicely.

Hi all, 

I got to go to Warhammer World yesterday for an INQ28 campaign day. Whilst I was down there I managed to run into Apologist and Bob Hunk, both truescaling luminaries. It was brilliant to talk to both of them (though they were elbow-deep in a heresy mega-battle) and to look through their models. 

I couldn't resist the opportunity to snap this picture: 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/truescalers%20anonymous%201_zpsxq72bzos.jpg

I was pleased to see that my truescales can hold up to theirs, especially as Apologist's work has been a huge inspiration of mine and I've recently been loving Bob's Crimson Fist marines. 

I bought the White Scars upgrade pack to modify Segesvar slightly, and have a bit of work to neaten up my existing team (and make them a little more solid) before I begin to consider the future members of the team. Lysimachus has asked me to consider a heavily bionic marine, so that's something for me to think about... 

I got to go to Warhammer World yesterday for an INQ28 campaign day. Whilst I was down there I managed to run into Apologist and Bob Hunk, both truescaling luminaries. It was brilliant to talk to both of them (though they were elbow-deep in a heresy mega-battle) and to look through their models.

It was great to meet you Commissar Molotov, and see your models in person. :) I think I've said it before earlier in your log, but you really have done an awesome job on these guys. :)

My models sort of circle the drain - they get to 90% completion before I'll break them apart and try something new with them, ever inching forward to try to get the right pose. I was talking to Apologist about this - he freely admits some of his Ultramarines look a little lacking up-close, but he is happy with the impression they make - that he is after creating an effect and tries not to get bogged down. With my modelling time so limited I understand where he's coming from. The Deathwatch are my "big ticket" hobby project, certainly for the last year and for the foreseeable future when I start adding Castigators elements to them as well. 

Here's Segesvar, the marine from JackDaw's Iron Talons. He's a model that's nearly reached completion. I removed the chainsword arm on JackDaw's advice and haven't quite got it in a pose that I like. However, I wanted to try one of the White Scars helmets I got from Forgeworld. The Talons are a White Scars successor, and I was curious as to whether the helmet might add a bit of ferocity to the model, as well as a bit of movement from the topknot. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Segesvar2_zpspm7mtqtk.jpg

Here you see - both helmets are Mk II, but there are added details on the WS helm. The "mandibles" (which I've considered reshaping slightly) do echo the raised trim on the World Eaters' torso that is being used here. I think the topknot does add something to the model, especially when it's painted. 

The new helmet looks really good.

I have the same problem with my conversions too, I had made a heresy version of Arjac Rockfist in Cataphractii plate, but ended up tearing it to pieces when I got Abaddon's body in a eBay bits bundle.

Segesvar's head is much better, that helm is perfect. Gives a nice curved flow to his top half and like you say, echoes the torso nicely. The top-knot will be a good oppurtunity to add a little rebellious splash of colour as well, fitting for the somewhat obsteporous Talons. Chainsword arm, I think the arm almost needs to ba hanging straight down, with the chainsowrd itself angled out following the same line as the bolter fire would take, almost as though its casually held and forgotten about while he blazes away.

Will add some more comments regarding your other beautiful chaps once my burning jealousy dies away :)

Thanks for the comments - especially you, JackDaw; glad to see you're around. Plus, i want you to like Segesvar when he's done, and to ensure he reflects your ideas about the Chapter! I thought the White Scars helm might be a nice way of paying tribute to the Iron Talons' heritage, but since blu-tacking the model together I haven't loved the helmet. It's not actually the same size as the Mk II helms - I would've thought that FW would've sculpted over one, but not quite.

I do like that the raised areas on the WS helm echo the WE armour I've used for the chest, but I don't love the fact that they sort of look like insectoid manibles.

As it is, I've considered two possibilities:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Segesvar%20Initial_zpsnq3fkqh2.png

One option is to attempt to square off the raised detail slightly. It might not work, but I do have two copies of the head. That said, I'm not sure how convinced I am that it'll look decent.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Segesvar%20Proposed_zpsrkk5tcot.png

A second option is to attempt to splice the two heads together, taking the vent and topknot from the WS helm and gluing it onto the Mk II helm. It might allow me to keep the best parts of both models.