Legio XVII Word Bearers, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth

Thank you JackDaw!

Ion - Death Korps with random heads and green stuffed scarves, easy enough and not too expensive either.

Here we go with the updated Sergeant:

Astartes Tactical Sergeant Tias Tarsas, Tarbal Tactical Squad

49th Assault Company, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

"We used to cast down false gods. We still do."

Tias, the sole survivor of the disaster at Aytheniir-7, the half-man, teller of tales (all true), one of a scant few - especially within the 17th - who ever made friends with a Scar. A ranking one, nevertheless. A dead one, now. That is close to how any of his squad would describe him, this Sergeant of theirs, I believe. Neither loved nor hated, yet doubtlessly respected, for he carries glories far beyond any of those whom he leads. One of the old cadre, one of the first to come from Colchis. It is said that the cleansing of the Terrans from the Legion weighed heavily upon his heart, for many of them he had fought and bled with, and few of us Colchisians had the same claim. Nevertheless, it was the Terrans who died, and regardless of his feelings, Tias Tarsas did not come out of the other side weaker. He did come out with a whole lot of blood on his hands though. Not just from the Terrans.

- Anqar Carves, Entehli Tactical Squad, on Tias Tarsas.

Cheers,
BTB

• 1 month later...
I've started making some 30k Dark Angels, but that doesn't mean my beloved Word Bearers are forgotten, far from it! Just received a package containing this beauty and a couple of random bits:

It's the new and more badass Seltharien Voct, replacing the earlier model made from a Dark Vengeance marine. He's eaten a lot of protein since last time. And yes, he'll be getting a new base!

Cheers,

BTB

I can't believe I've come across this thread before. I have... odd feelings about the Word Bearers (Specifically, the fact that I dislike them in general but can't seem to stop looking at WB plogs and that I've written fluff for two seperate Chapters.) But yours, mate, are as disease so elequently put it, frickin' awesome. I especially love the Chapter Masters and the Contemptor's model and fluff (But then again, I really like Contemptors).

You may consider me a devoted Bearer of your Word.msn-wink.gif

Thanks guys! Glad to hear you like my work in the service of the Dark Gods biggrin.png

Finished the local Gal Vorbak representative, Seltharien Voct:

Seltharien Voct, Gal Vorbak
Chosen of Lorgar, Warrior of the Serrated Sun, Companion of Argel Tal, Kinslayer, Foereaper
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
- The Philosopher Nietzsche, M2
"I literally bear the essence of a God within my chest."
- Seltharien Voct, M31
"Heaven wheels above you, displaying to you her eternal glories, and still your eyes are on the ground."
- Dante, M2

Cheers,
BTB

That Gal Vorbak looks astonishing. The Word Bearers are a particular favourite of mine, and if I hadn't spent so long painting red marines with black arms the work displayed in this log would be going a very long way into tempting me to build an army of my own fanatics.

Keep it up! smile.png

enjoying your fluff and your color graduations.... Really dig your reds man:) glad you got your gal vorbak and only niggles paint wise might be for the yellow hard lining to be also on the undersides of the knee caps and running along the shin plates.... I just see the aether Flames building and erupting from along and inside the armor...

Beautiful work

It isn't necromancy if it is your own thread ;)

Some nice stuff going on here man, you can really tell you have a passion for the army; which is always cool.

The Gal Vorbak is missing a couple on lines of yellow, around the knee pads and the inside of the back of the right leg. Pity you missed the mold line on the left one. No matter how hard I try I always find one when it comes to paint time.

Looking forward to your progress.

kobrakei - You know the call of the Dark Gods is always too strong to resist ;)

One-eye - Thanks!

lionofjudah - Yeah, I've spotted a few errors since I took the photos. Time will tell whether I can be bothered to do anything about it though biggrin.png

Thousand Eyes - I figured so too! Thank you, and yes, I've noticed some stuff as well. We'll see if an updated version shows up!

Now... What's this?
Cheers,
BTB

Thousand Eyes - Haha I actually laughed. Damn correct!

Updated Anatavar Xol again, and I think I hit the sweet spot this time. I should probably rename this log to make it obvious that it's mostly about this one model by now :D

Cheers,

That model is stunning. Great work man, love the little highlight touches all over him that pull it together. The only thing that detracts from it for me is the overly large base. It is soemthing I am personally not a fan of.

DimDim - Thanks biggrin.png

Venomlust - It definitely is!

Thousand Eyes - Thank you! I personally love the more cinematic bases, so you'll have to bear with me there!

kobrakei - Thanks, the head was what really completed the model for me (finally!).

My conscience has made me finish Tarbal Tactical Squad before moving on to the new additions. So here's the ninth member of Tarbal, Garmaiel Kal:
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/2015Jul04_5948_zpsejiqnsm2.jpg
Garmaiel Kal
"The flesh-scarce", Nuncio-Vox Operator, Squad Tarbal, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers
Pictured above is legionnaire Garmaiel Kal at the outset of the Nixdres Stars genocide. A ferocious and sometimes almost foolishly aggressive warrior retired from Assault Squad service due to extensive wounds, more of his body now consists of bionical augmetics than of flesh. Amongst his brethren, he is known as "the flesh-scarce", and it is a long-standing joke in Squad Tarbal that he is more of a nuncio-vox carrying an Astartes than the other way around. Nevertheless, he stands in vast esteem amongst squad, company and Legion alike, for his wounds were inflicted upon him as he protected the unconscious body of Chapter Master Xol from the brutal greenskin hordes on Natilu II, and it is said that the Gods themselves returned his life to his battered corpse as reward for his dedication.

Cheers,
BTB

• 4 months later...

Nobody can complain about going too fast here.

The new Heresy set gave me the mental push I needed to do some more work, and started in the only logical place: The Chapter Master, as always. He still felt a bit unadorned and plain, like a Terminator Sergeant more than a Chapter Master. I think it's getting there:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IMG_2914_zpsje3lhofq.jpg

Just need to find the courage to sculpt the small flames in the Legion symbol, and then it's on to painting. Oh, and I'm probably changing the chapter name too, as I feel the current identity and symbol are a bit lacking compared with the really neat chapters that FW have been churning out.

Cheers,
BTB

Your additions to the chapter master really make him look much more commanding and set him further apart from the rank and file marines. My one complaint is that every time you post your beautifully painted WB it forces me to rethink the metallic red color scheme I have planned for mine.

Your miniatures are fantastic man and your writing is a wonder.

I love that you've stayed away from overly corrupting youre force which I know a lot of people doing heresy era word bearers can do and personaly I think can take away from the force and leave no difference between a 40k warband.

Well done again mate and keep up the good work.

kizzdougs - Thank you, and steal ahead, I stole the idea to begin with :D

ephrael - Haha happy to hear it mate! Whatever you choose, you'll surely have the blessings of the Dark Gods, so it really can't go wrong. Perks of choosing the right Legion.

the emperor is scottish - Thank you! Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the "mutations everyweeeeere" approach, I prefer the corruption to be more subtle, even in the 40k era. The blessings of the Gods feel less special the more liberally sprinkled they are, both visually and in fluff.

A lot of stuff (by my standards) completed now. The Chapter Master (again), and the last Legionnaire of Squad Tarbal, meaning that after three or so years, the squad is finally complete! Yay me! First things first though:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Chapter%20Master_zpslkcro7wn.jpg

And the final Legionnaire:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Tactical%20Marine_zpsuczbquwo.jpg

Legionnaire Orno Akrana

Squad Tarbal, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

"Fear not, mortal. I do not want to kill you. We are not brute savages dealing in random acts of violence, like the Wolves, or the... other Wolves. The Sons. Whatever suffering we shall inflict on you will be of dire necessity, burdened with sadness, and very deliberate."

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Tactical%20Squad_zpszd5tzdog.jpg

Tactical Squad Tarbal

Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

Shadows of the infernal coil, blood of the faithful boil. For those who stand before us: Oblivion awaits! Bow heads, prepare graves! Tarbal! Tarbal!
- Traditional battle chant of Squad Tarbal

Above is pictured Squad Tarbal at the outset of the Ixis VI Compliance, scant months after Istvaan V (where the Chapter was not present, instead waging its own campaign of territorial conquest for Lorgar far away from the main body of the Legion since years back). Mainly clad in Mk. III variants of plate which lends the squad an undeniably brutal outlook, this is a squad made for - and hardened by - frontal assault and gruesome siege work, which is only natural as a part of the Radiant Qliphoth chapter. The squad leader, Tias Tarsas, is notably clad in reinforced and decorated Mk. IV plate, an uncommon sight amongst these heavier outfits, but nearly as durable as Mk. III with far better movement and sensory apparatus, especially the latter of which is important for a squad leader. It also serves to distinguish the veteran Tarsas as a member of a more elite cadre of Astartes within the company, a visual marker for the spiritual and martial prowess for which he is respected by all within the Chapter.

Cheers,
BTB

Archived