Legio XVII Word Bearers, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth

Olis - The Hydra is on the right track with his answer, here is a snippet from Wikipedia: The Qliphoth/Qlippoth/Qelippot or Kelipot (Heb. קליפות, the different English spellings are used in the alternative Cabalistic traditions[1] of Hermetic Qabalahand Jewish Kabbalah respectively), literally "Peels", "Shells" or "Husks" (from singular: קליפה Qliphah/Kelipah "Husk"),[2] are the representation of evil orimpure spiritual forces in Jewish mysticism, the polar opposites of the holy Sephirot.[3] The realm of evil is also termed "Sitra Achra/Ahra" (Aramaic סטרא אחרא, the "Other Side" opposite holiness) in Kabbalah texts.

(Damn, I have no idea what happened with the formatting above or what to do about it... I blame Wikipedia)

Thousand Eyes: Thank you! Haha I love huge bases, maybe because I don't play at all and they look pretty good on the shelves.

The Hydra & Arac - Thank you! To answer both your questions, the chainsword is from the plastic Space Wolves upgrade set. A huge fan of the Sanguinary Priest chainsword as well.

Cheers,
BTB

Noctus Cornix - Thank you! Keep on spreading the Word msn-wink.gif

Finished the first member of the Autocannon support squad. Made a deal with myself not to buy any new toys for the army before all the stuff I've already got is complete, and this far it's actually been quite motivating haha.

Less word-bearing, more Word Bearers:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Heavy%20Support%20Marine%202_zpsq8nu8ucv.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Heavy%20Support%20Marine%201_zpsarewnl9b.jpg

Legionnaire Anthander Eksos

Squad Daen-Kal, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

"We were not practical, not before Monarchia. Guilliman and the Emperor were correct. We had erred from the true path, nay, we had not even found it at all. Afterwards, we learned. Oh, little scribe, how we learned. Now, our foes, and many of our allies too, still see us with the eyes of old. They believe us unpractical still, victims of whims and fancies.

Now, hear me, scribe, and mark this down. Since Monarchia, we have only done what has to be done, and we have done it well. We were told to shy away from false Faith, so we found true Gods and cast off the shackles of a false one. We were told that we were instruments of conquest and war, and warred and conquered we did. We were told that our one concern was to unite humanity, and now, scribe, that is what we must do.

There has been a thousand opportunities to bend and break, and to choose the safe and easy way instead of the hard and true. Yet here we are, unbowed and unbroken, as we prepare for the great undertaking of our time.

Witness as we do the most practical of things. Witness the false Emperor's domains burn."

- Legionnaire Eksos, to Remembrancer Maven-Eriksen.

I'm really looking forward to painting up the rest of the squad, they're really turning out how I pictured them in my head when I ordered the bits a couple of months ago. Should have gone with Heavy Flamers (because BUUUURN!), but can't have it all, can I?

Considering what to do after this. There's a chaplain built (pictures incoming), and I'll add a null/witch to Anatavar Xol's retinue, but after that it will probably be a BAC tactical squad built and painted at half speed plus something more fancy. Currently thinking about:

- Leviathan Dread
- Vindicator
- Land Raider
- Termie squad
- Assault squad
- Human auxiliaries/Army

Ideas? What would you like to see added to this project (including other stuff than the above)?

Cheers,
BTB

SalvationOfReason - Thank you! It is indeed, I'm using a lot of Iron Hands bits over the whole squad, they look suitably heavy support-ish.

Finished the Sergeant as well, but removed the skull faceplates. It looked good on the squad as a unit, but I felt that it drew to much attention when seen as a part of the army as a whole. The burninating shoulder plates will be enough, I think.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Marines%201_zpsvaysuavw.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Heavy%20Support%20Sergeant%201_zpsjdyledad.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Heavy%20Support%20Sergeant%202_zpsbiii8fom.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/Word%20Bearers%20Heavy%20Support%20Sergeant%203_zpsgiadnmsy.jpg

Sergeant Taratal Sek

"I did not die, and yet I lost life's breath"
- Dante Aligheri, M2

Cheers,
BTB

Thousand Eyes - Thanks man! Can post a step-by-step if you want?

Brother Heinrich - Uuuuh, it's from some random plastic set of ancient Greek hoplites. Can't remember the manufacturer, sorry!

Plains of War - Thank you!

Third squad member coming in. Apologies for the bad photo, was in a hurry to work and will be at my parents' this weekend, so had to snap a pic with the mobile camera.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IMG_3024_zpspludjmi4.jpg

Legionnaire Fal Harnas

"What resists, we find. What we see, we kill. What is dead shall be forgotten, and thus our dealing of death becomes divine."

Cheers,
BTB

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much exciting going on here, like everybody else I've got my hands on some BaC-marines and couldn't help putting a few together:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/IMG_3145_zpsasgimyth.jpg

Now I'll have to think about what to do about the bases of the army though. 32mm looks ace, but for uniformity I'll have to order/make new ones for the older part of the army. Ah well, what is money anyway....

Cheers,
BTB

Soooo, went into a painting frenzy and finished the remaining two Support legionnaires, a test model for the MkIV Tacticals, and the Chaplain that I've been hiding from you. Now, who am I and what have I done to BeatTheBeat? 

Picture time:

Squad Xephon

Legion Heavy Support Squad, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

Xephon was unlike most support formations within the Chapter. Where most were dealers of death from vast ranges or a focused cure to be applied upon finiding a suitable wound, Xephon were an uncaring hammerblow clad in impervious ceramite. They were not so much a support squad as Breachers armed with heavy weaponry. Within the company, the joke goes that they actually were once a Breacher formation, but switched gear mid-exercise to punish the opposing identical formations. If so, it apparently worked.

- Erigad Maviksen, Remembrancer to the Radiant Qliphoth

Angarviel Tolas

Tactical Legionnaire, Squad Alaxes, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

"I care not to measure the depths of my knowledge and thus stumble upon its limits. By acting upon the Word of the Urizen, I in turn can sip from that vast lake and be the sacred Tool that He requires."

- Legionnaire Tolas, excerpt from "The Contemplations" by Erigad Maviksen, Remembrancer.

Rokal Thera, Master of Rites

He Who Brings Light, Third Eye, Icon of Monarchia, Chaplain, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII

"In those dark days, I was glad for the guidance and comfort provided by Rokal Thera. He was as a spiritual bastion, a compassionate beacon illuminating the way for us on the verge of losing our ways in the dark storms. He had been attached to us from the Chapter of the Silent Temple, replacing Sor Amathros, who had fallen in the siege at Pale. Yet, he soon became an icon of the Chapter, in all meanings of the word. And the first time we saw him fight? Blood of the Urizen, if we knew not of Daemons before, we surely did then!

- Unknown Legionnarie, excerpt from "Accounts of Sacred War" by Erigad Maviksen, Remembrancer.

Really happy with how these are turning out. All out of bases and basing materials, so that's why the basing is less than satisfactory on some of these. Decided to go with 25mm bases in the future too, as I just couldn't see myself rebasing the models that I've already finished. Next up is the MkIV Tacticals that I've already started on, some more additions to the command squad, and then I feel like it's probably time to reward myself with something big.

Cheers,

BTB

SalvationOfReason - Thank you! The helmet is from the Night Lords upgrade pack though.

The Hydra - Thanks mate! Yes, EC parts really give an ornamental, orthodox-church-y look that I find fit the Bearers really well.

KrautScientist - Thanks, glad you like it!

Finished the Sergeant earlier this week, but the utter lack of daylight in northern Sweden made me wait until the weekend to photograph it properly. A huge fan of old school-ish danger stripes, so he got some on his fist to show off how insanely killy it is.

Legionnaire Sal Amagron

Squad Argas, Chapter of the Radiant Qliphoth, Legio XVII Word Bearers

“He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the Gods' predators around the tiny specks of humanity. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.”  
- From Lorgar's Spiritual Journey, by Talastri Entos, Remembrancer.

Cheers,
BTB

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a little undecided whether I should post this, but  two months have gone by without payment from Ephrael here on the forums who commissioned this piece, so I figure it's time to share it with the community instead so I at least get something out of the two full work days I spent on it.

"March of the XVII"

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b475/SpiritOfArgh/WordBearers08liten_zpsytqgrvrb.jpg

Hope you like it and happy New Year's to everybody!

Cheers,
BTB

Archived