[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Did someone say the Lord of Iron? 

To be honest,We are Iron Warriors for god sake,we shell enemies with bombardment,artillery,and go to close combat at the last moment.

So with Master of Signal not being a compulosry HQ is quite a blow for my list (eventhough its still a 1000 point)

but that's just my opinion

Edited by Pertruabo

Yeah that ruling really screws most legions over. Two of the three they nerfed were standard go to leaders in my lists at low points. Now the only thing I can see as fluffy although expensive is the Siege breaker in cata or arty armor hooked up with a Tyrant or Havoc squad. Which while somewhat useful as a supporting character, he lacks the supporting punch of feel no pain or the bombardment and BS boost. I dislike librarians so I do not use them.

Best use for Perturabo? 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/300198-perturabos-terminator-assault/?p=3884279

besides smashing face and accurate bombardment, he brings stubborn, furious charge, 1st turn reserves, deep-striking terminators, a teleport homer, master of the legion (best used with Pride of the Legion RoW) and a command squad that is elegible to use a dreadclaw pod as dedicated transport (3 TDA + him = full) for a guaranteed 1st turn drop.

Imperial Farts get 3++ vigil pattern storm shields.

Iron Hands get cyber familiars for all characters.

Samanders get +1 invul shields.

I will try Vhalen with my mechanicum list now that the Master of Signals isn't allowed anymore, switching him with my Archmagos (degraded to a simple ordinator perhaps...anyone noticed yet their bombardment isn't barrage?). I also will play van Halen during the game. Still: what Warlord trait does he get? his unique one or shatter defense, which by RAW all Warsmiths are "given in place of their usual warlord trait"?

You're pretty German on that point. Being German myself I pretty much understand AND feel the temptation of sticking to the letter. That's because of our language. But it is not allways the best way to got. As a matter of fact I thought about that rule for myself. But I came to the conclusion that it is very clear. He gets his own warlord trait and still is a warsmith. So he can repair stuff.

That's it. :)

Its a bad rule since its your opponent that chooses to force turn 6. So if your winning on turn 5, instead of the game ending and you winning, the opponent could force a turn 6 to win.

I personally haven't found it to be that bad of an issue. If it is to a point were when I'm winning on 5, but can't ensure I win on 6, then I could just as easily be screwed by the die roll. Also once it is decided to roll the die to see if we continue on turn five the enemy no longer has the option to just end it on turn six as the rule states "opt to play a full 6 full turns instead of rolling to see if the game ends." This means you BOTH will always have that last turn, and know it's that last turn. I just make it very clear to my opponent at the end of turn five that we can roll to see if the games ends, or he can make it end at the end of turn six.

completely misread that, you're correct :sad.:

The first time I read it I misread it too. I thought it was cool and fluffy. Instead its something that will make you loose games every so often. If our rules were a bit better, it might be justified, but as it stands the perks don't really outweigh the quirks.

Sorry if a lot of my posts here seem pessimistic- just want people to have realistic expectations of our ruleset.

completely misread that, you're correct :(

The first time I read it I misread it too. I thought it was cool and fluffy. Instead its something that will make you loose games every so often. If our rules were a bit better, it might be justified, but as it stands the perks don't really outweigh the quirks.

Sorry if a lot of my posts here seem pessimistic- just want people to have realistic expectations of our ruleset.

I have to disagree on that. Sure, sometimes you'll loose because of that, but in the other hand the same thing would happen on a 3+. That' not THAT big disadvantage.

Don't have to make leadership against shooting is great. Not awesome, but really nice. Yes, we have leadership 9 in most cases anyway, but you can screw that and it is one of the most annoying thing to happen. We all now that. But being a Iron Warrior it won't what is great in my bock.

Re-roll penetration rolls against fortifications is... It's okay. Depends on your opponents. My usually don't use them a lot. The Aegis is quiet common, but haven't seen an Imperial Bastion for a long time. But the time will come when one of my heros will grab his Melter bomb and the feared snake eyes appear on the dice.

Then I gonna laugh and yell "Stopp! Wrecker time!" ;)

that it is a disadvantage at all is reason enough to be pessimistic, because the advantages to outweight it are unlikely to nonexistant.

reroll penetration on S6 krak grenades against fortifications that start at AV13? yeah. why not use something effective instead?

ignore morale tests from shooting casualities and reroll pinning? What is a vexila? 

Both literally NEVER ocurred in any of the games I played since HH3 (IV. Legion or any other army lists)

Only tacticals get vexila. The whole ignoring casualties and rerolling pinning is huge in HH.I don't even use tacticals in my list thus being able to ignore shooting panic checks is awesome and puts us about as close as we can get to ATSKNF.

The strongest perk for our legion is definitely ignoring morale checks from shooting, but having good special units and being battle brothers with admech is good too. That's why we make a good ally for a darkmech army. On our own we're... ok.

Edited by Bulbafist

that it is a disadvantage at all is reason enough to be pessimistic, because the advantages to outweight it are unlikely to nonexistant.

reroll penetration on S6 krak grenades against fortifications that start at AV13? yeah. why not use something effective instead?

ignore morale tests from shooting casualities and reroll pinning? What is a vexila? 

Both literally NEVER ocurred in any of the games I played since HH3 (IV. Legion or any other army lists)

I think you forgotten, that the Wrecker rule counts not only for Krak grenades. In my last tournament I had two situations in which a Melter bomb had failed against an Imperial Bastion. Besides it is a huge advantage if you don't have to buy a vexilla in HH, where everything is way to expansive. In addition to that I have to remind you that the vexilla dude can be shot and then the bonus is gone. Iron Warriors never ever run getting shot but still can go to ground if you need that.

Last but not least I cannot beleave that you don't have to make several pinning and leadership test during a normal game.

Every time a transporter explodes you have to test.

Every time you loose 25% in the Shooting Subphase you have to test. That's pretty common. ;)

Only tacticals get vexila. The whole ignoring casualties and rerolling pinning is huge in HH.I don't even use tacticals in my list thus being able to ignore shooting panic checks is awesome and puts us about as close as we can get to ATSKNF.

The strongest perk for our legion is definitely ignoring morale checks from shooting, but having good special units and being battle brothers with admech is good too. That's why we make a good ally for a darkmech army. On our own we're... ok.

You Gentleman are right. :)

I think you forgotten, that the Wrecker rule counts not only for Krak grenades. In my last tournament I had two situations in which a Melter bomb had failed against an Imperial Bastion. Besides it is a huge advantage if you don't have to buy a vexilla in HH, where everything is way to expansive. In addition to that I have to remind you that the vexilla dude can be shot and then the bonus is gone. Iron Warriors never ever run getting shot but still can go to ground if you need that.

Last but not least I cannot beleave that you don't have to make several pinning and leadership test during a normal game.

Every time a transporter explodes you have to test.

Every time you loose 25% in the Shooting Subphase you have to test. That's pretty common. :wink:

Almost forgotten, because I never had one of my sergeants (who get MBs as standart) reach an intact enemy fortification in a game (which I see as an indication of effective artillery).

And I would buy a vexila with or without the LA (IW) rule, because it's melee where morale really matters. 

I generally don't use transports in my IVth/Mech gunline and people tend to shoot at my castellax or tech thralls rather than my legionaire infantry block (joined by Ld10/stubborn magos, apothecary, with vexila), while the havocs and tyrants are well protected by my own fortifications.

Have yet to test it with my termiantor assault army, but whoever flees in the presence of Perturabo himself doesn't count as an Iron Warrior.

You know, it's not that these rules are not advantages. They just don't matter.

Edited by Nehekhare

• 3 months later...

I need to see the helmets and the chests both put together with a shoulder pad to judge. Dantioch's stuff is inspiring and makes it look Good. I'm hoping that they give us a Second upgrade kit with Iron Havocs or with Tyrants like the Fists did with the Warders. 

Hey guys so recently I saw brother Hynedia awsome thread and I was wondering how are Iron warriors rules? I like the idea of a ww1 trench warfare army backed by artillery. Are iron warriors fun? I was thinking a mass infantry army supported by artillery and tanks.