[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I'll give them a few test runs and see how they go. Running them with the Forge Lord will somewhat mitigate their low number of attacks and they're the ultimate are denial unit in ZM. Virtually nothing will budget them fast enough.

I am looking forward to your reports. :)

Ehrm...

Apparently I've bought in a moment of mental derangement two Imperial Knights yesterday.

How to equip them?

Edited by Gorgoff

Did you get Renegade?

If so I'd say make one a Crusader with Battlecannon and Gattling, carapace weapon to taste.

Make the other an Errant or Gallant (so Melta and Fist or Sword and fist!) Again whatever carapace weapon you want too.

They add a nice bit of everything including the ever terrifying stomp attacks.

Did you get Renegade?

If so I'd say make one a Crusader with Battlecannon and Gattling, carapace weapon to taste.

Make the other an Errant or Gallant (so Melta and Fist or Sword and fist!) Again whatever carapace weapon you want too.

They add a nice bit of everything including the ever terrifying stomp attacks.

Where do you find the rules for all those variants? I looked in book four and in the Thagmata red book and in neither of them are those Knights.

Only the Errant and.... the dude with rapid fire Battlecannon I can find.

How do other people use their Tyrant Siege Terminators? It's a waste putting them in a transport and running the transport up the field. You could use them as a backfield shooty unit and counter to enemy combat units that try to get into your rear. Or march them up the field firing rockets.

Also, has anyone tried running assault squads in an Ironfire list? A squad of ten with 3 power weapons and the Sergeant kitted out is only 10 points more than a Tac squad with a kitted out Sergeant riding in a Rhino with dozer blade and pintle multimelta.

Edited by The Native

Crusade Imperialis - Questoris Knight Army List

I got Renegade the first time it was released, 2 years ago, and configured mine as one Knight Errant and one Knight Warden w. carapace launcher.

Are there different versions of that book?

I've managed to get a copy of one and there is no Warden in there. In Battlescribe there is.

Strange.

How do other people use their Tyrant Siege Terminators? It's a waste putting them in a transport and running the transport up the field. You could use them as a backfield shooty unit and counter to enemy combat units that try to get into your rear. Or march them up the field firing rockets.

Also, has anyone tried running assault squads in an Ironfire list? A squad of ten with 3 power weapons and the Sergeant kitted out is only 10 points more than a Tac squad with a kitted out Sergeant riding in a Rhino with dozer blade and pintle multimelta.

I field five Tyrands with one attached Siege Breaker in every list and they never disappointed me. The walk and shoot.

Vehicles with AV13 or less- MEQ with 3+- other stuff is my usual priority for them.

I don't believe there are, but I could be mistaken.

In any case, I own the 2016 edition both in print format as well as in PDF and it contains the rules for all the Knight variants except for the Porphyrion (which only exists as a download page AFAIK).

I don't believe there are, but I could be mistaken.

In any case, I own the 2016 edition both in print format as well as in PDF and it contains the rules for all the Knight variants except for the Porphyrion (which only exists as a download page AFAIK).

Ok, so buying the red book ia the next step for me.

Anyway.

Have you tried that Thunderstrike Gauntlet?

Sounds fun to throw stuff arount. :)

I field five Tyrands with one attached Siege Breaker in every list and they never disappointed me. The walk and shoot.

Vehicles with AV13 or less- MEQ with 3+- other stuff is my usual priority for them.

A great option is walking them around with a Deredeo with the Atomantic Prevace, for a 3++ Invulnerable save while they are close. It can take the Plasma to cover anything with a 2+ save that they can't handle too :)

It's a good choice. If you ignore vets and terminators, I'd say assault squads are probably the best infantry you can run. Would pair well with a command rhino that lets you deep strike them if needed. I feel people don't take them with iron fire because you either need to deep strike them turn 2 or move them up turn 1 to get the benifits. Guys in a dreadclaw or murder-drill are guaranteed where you want them to be turn 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on the FAQ? Perturabo has had his Relentless Strategist rule nerfed/changed to:

All models in the same army as Perturabo gain Furious Charge while in an enemy’s deployment zone. If Perturabo is held in Reserve, he may

choose the turn in which he and any unit to which he is attached arrive from Reserve, starting from the first turn of the game, rather than the

second

Thoughts on the FAQ? Perturabo has had his Relentless Strategist rule nerfed/changed to:

All models in the same army as Perturabo gain Furious Charge while in an enemy’s deployment zone. If Perturabo is held in Reserve, he may

choose the turn in which he and any unit to which he is attached arrive from Reserve, starting from the first turn of the game, rather than the

second

It's a bummer but still one of the best Primarchs.

Evening chaps; I'm a relative newb (took a couple of years out) and I've decided to come back to the IVth

I've done a bit of building and painting and lo and behold, the game up and changes on me with the FAQ. I had originally intended on focusing on Terminators either led by Perturabo with PotL or Golg with Orbital Assault. Now Perty can't do what he could before, making it that much more awkward. Golg can bring the Terminators, but not much else Orbital Assault is very limiting as to what you can bring, especially if you have to buy loads of drop pods too.

I also decided to build up some Vets for a little bit of flavour, but now I'm suddenly worried whether I should be pulling off those special weapons and giving them their bolters back.

The FAQ has given me some general uncertainty, so TL;DR, how would you gents recommend approaching a mostly Terminator based list, and how would you support them?

On a more positive FAQ note, Iron Fire is even better than ever thanks to augury scanners (you can defend your gunline much better, mitigating one of the weaknesses). Iron Havocs are also even better. I'd go as far as to say they are better than Tyrants after all the buffs they've gotten over the years.

In terms of list building vets are still the best troops choice in the game. If you are looking to play friendly games don't give them combi weapons or just stick with terminators, assault squads, or something else.

On a more positive FAQ note, Iron Fire is even better than ever thanks to augury scanners (you can defend your gunline much better, mitigating one of the weaknesses). Iron Havocs are also even better. I'd go as far as to say they are better than Tyrants after all the buffs they've gotten over the years.

In terms of list building vets are still the best troops choice in the game. If you are looking to play friendly games don't give them combi weapons or just stick with terminators, assault squads, or something else.

Yeah. Iron Havocs were/are real sleeper unit. Especially as they're much cheaper on the backend when taking a max squad size. As fate would have it, I just snapped up a 10 strong squad armed with Missile Launchers. 

Is Perturabo still viable? My fellow IW player had a fit after errata, according to him Perturabo's point was 1st turn reserves rolling.

Then your fellow IW player never got the point of Perturabo. ;)

Yes, his ability was incredible and maybe too good but that's why it got nerfed.

Now we can deep strike first turn with one unit and don't need to roll. Nice still although more risky.