[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I like to live dangerously.

I altered the list a bit.

Put more bodies into it.

It's 1k so I will have number advantage.

Bunker with void shield and ammo dump with 5 HB havoks with augury scanner is a must.

3 vets squads with ML, Plasma, Melta

1 Contemptor

1 land speeder with multi melta.

1 centurion

Imo against stuff with abundant invusaves (such as some terminator builds and most of the 40k armies) the best way to deal with is a simple bolter. Also Custodes with their 3" coherency and small amount of bodies won't be scared of blasts. This would lead into a fact that the best way to deal with them is to bring as much of bolters and heavy bolters as you can muster.

Something like this would do well:

Centurion

19 Tactical Space Marines: + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour)

9 Heavy Support Marines: + 1 Heavy Support Sergeant (artificer armour)

There is no need to try to keep up with arms race by upgrading stuff and getting expensive stuff. Simply outnumber and outgun your enemy.

I don't have that many models. :)

And rhinos can take multi meltas. My problem is solved.

Can deal with that pesky custodes Dreadnaught

2 rhinos with marksman veterans.

Keep centurion out of arms way, on top of the bunker.

Edited by Sete

I'm not sure that I agree that massed bolter fire is the best way to deal with custodes. Their entire army is t5, so the effectiveness of your bolter fire is going to be greatly reduced. Sure FotL is going to hurt if you can get it off, but those custodes suads are deep striking in then charging you next turn, doesn't give you a whole lot of chances for standing still and firing unless you're lucky. I'd much rather have those marksmen veterans, those rends are going to be a huge help to get through the custodes saves, plus plasma guns are also very effective which you can have two of in each veteran suad. 

@Sete: Are you really set on taking a bunker and void shields at one thousand pts vs custodes? Because I think that's rather unnecessary. Custodes have limited firepower, at a thousand pts the only long range firepower they are likely to fit in is one of their battle tanks if they choose to take that. The rest is pretty short ranged from the custodes spear weapons, and as long as you make it difficult to deep strike near your havoks they will be safe from custodes firepower. If you drop the bunker and void shield generator you might have the pts for a second speeder and more havoks. 

Actually I'm better off taking a predator with lascannons and plasma turret with machine spirit.

Deploy near the Havoks, shoot plasma into infantry, Lascannon into dread and veichles.

Even the autocannon turret might do it.

The guy also has salamanders with that dumb dread warlord, so I want something that can kill veichles reliably.

Edited by Sete

You are just better off not playing the game as Custodes are broken piece of overpowered cheese. Single Predator won't do a dint into that Dread but it can do a lot against your army.

If you like the challenge it proves and like to play then your best change is ignoring the Dread and pouring firepower against his infantry.

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience running Perturabo with a full unit of 6 Iron Circle? I'm going to be doing up the full unit soon and was interested to see if anyone's had some practical experience with the most ridiculously expensive death-star in the game. I know it's strengths and weaknesses, I'm just curious about how they've actually performed for you guys when run in such a configuration (or a slightly smaller but still large unit). I've got experience with them normally but it's the allure of the giant unit that has me intrigued. Thanks for any input and have a nice day :)

Remember that you need three 10 marine strong plasma support squads in a rapid fire range to remove a single praesidum shield carrying marine :smile.:

Please stop spreading this jibberish to more threads. You need to deal ~7 AP2 wounds to kill the first guy in a shielded Custodes squad, assuming they make all of their 4+ look out sir rolls.  That means you need 12 shots if you're hitting on 3+ and wounding on 2+ with no other modifiers.  So a 6-man tactical support squad with plasmaguns in rapid fire range kills one Custodes. By the same token, ~14 wounds removes the 3-man squad (which is most common it seems due to discount, at least this early on). So if you can get BS5 somehow, a 10-man squad in rapid fire with average mathhammer removes the whole squad, again, assuming they make all their LOS rolls.

Where you are getting 30 guys rapid firing plasma guns to kill one guy from I have no idea, but it is complete and utter nonsense. Stop it..  Where you are getting 30 guys rapid firing plasma guns to kill one guy from I have no idea, but it is complete and utter nonsense. Stop it.

Edited by Withershadow

^ Agreed. The level of moaning over Inferno has reached a hideous crescendo. It's been very hard reading the Age of Darkness threads lately. At least half of it is, "How will life ever be the same?! Woe is my Legion!"

@Learn2Eel, Iron Circle are freaking cool. People never thought they'd make models and then they dropped them completely out of the blue! Yes, they probably need Perturabo's Terminator Deep Strike ability. But for now, try thinking outside the box. Any single Iron Warrior's Independent Character can join them, so why not a Vigilator? Scout or Outflank helps get them close to the action! Give him a power axe and AA, and he'll get a 4++ and armour save re-rolls against Blasts and Templates provided he'a base-to-base with one of them. Only challenge then will be keeping them in cortex controller range.

Remember that you need three 10 marine strong plasma support squads in a rapid fire range to remove a single praesidum shield carrying marine :)

Please stop spreading this jibberish to more threads. You need to deal ~7 AP2 wounds to kill the first guy in a shielded Custodes squad, assuming they make all of their 4+ look out sir rolls.  That means you need 12 shots if you're hitting on 3+ and wounding on 2+ with no other modifiers.  So a 6-man tactical support squad with plasmaguns in rapid fire range kills one Custodes. By the same token, ~14 wounds removes the 3-man squad (which is most common it seems due to discount, at least this early on). So if you can get BS5 somehow, a 10-man squad in rapid fire with average mathhammer removes the whole squad, again, assuming they make all their LOS rolls.

Where you are getting 30 guys rapid firing plasma guns to kill one guy from I have no idea, but it is complete and utter nonsense. Stop it.

THANK you. :)

The last time I here so much whining must have been the time the new Eldar codex arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am working on a semi-competitive list based around The Ironfire. I say semi-competitive because I don't want to use Lord Potato and I am not trying to maximize barrage weapons. I wouldn't mind a little critique though on my list to see if there are any holes I could clean up or if anybody has done similar stuff.

List as follows:

HQ:

65pts Centurion Delegatus

Elites:

180pts Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (3)

Troops:

160pts Legion Tactical Squad (10) w/ Rhino

160pts Legion Tactical Squad (10) w/ Rhino

Fast Attack:

40pts Legion Landspeeder Squadron (1) w/ Shrapnel bolts

Heavy Support:

305pts Iron Havoc Support Squad (8) w/ missile launchers and augury scanner

465pts Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (3) Medusas

120pts Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (1)

Rites of War:

The Ironfire

Total Points: 1495

Edited by BrotherGecko

I wonder how much barrage weapons you would field if you maxed your list out... ;)

If you swap one Rhino for an additional Speeder that list is a very good way to say "I don't like you anymore." :D

Well I was saving the 2nd speeder for 2k lol. Though I do see your point.

Mostly I am trying to figure out how to catch and destroy fast armies with artillery. After being tabled by a jetbike army with almost no return casualties (it was a completely different force I was using but still...) I want to be able to smoosh them lol.

How does The Ironfire interact with multiple barrage when placing an Ironfire counter? Meaning, if I have a battery of quad mortars, is an Ironfire counter generated after the first template is placed or after all templates are placed? If I have a battery of Medusa, is the counter placed after the first template or the last template?

Finally, is a counter created if I miss the first template?

"Having resolved such a barrage attack, leave a marker..."

So, it's after your battery has shot. Apparently it is a good idea to bring a Thudd Gun or two alone to mark things before shooting with hole batteries. :)

And yes, even if you miss a marker is placed.

What Rites of war do people enjoy using? Both unique ones are really nice for iron warriors but need a big investment; I was thinking of starting with something based on pride of the legion.

Anything else people like using? I think the legion can also get good use out of a golg/orbital assault combination too.

Edited by ashc

Why run pride when you can just take Golg! Or chosen duty with a delegatus.

Funny enough, I often don't use a ROW with my IWs. This is entirely opposite my experience with Iron Hands, where I would always use HotG.