[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Hmm... Might be right there Depth, but I like them more for them being a relatively cheap power weapon holder that gives the squad an uber vexilla. Also, being forced to sweeping and to consolidate towards the nearest target don't sit that well with me... though from a fluffy stand point would make sense. Hatred outside of Deployment is very good and since the RoW limits the use of consuls to just 1 then It'd have to change to a Legion Champion.

While not against using Khârn, I'd would go against my idea for the WE company I'm planning : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/294527-gods-of-the-arena-world-eaters-call-to-glory/?p=3774296 also feel free to join us in the blood sands arena

And lets face it, 3 chaplains leading 20 True Grit Marines + 1 Apothecary in a Spartan with a Dual DCCW Contemptor each, is a pretty striking image rather than 1 beatstick HQ & Company + the rest. Just doesn't feel like a giant raging mob of WE in that sense.

40 points is a large chunk of points, that's 4 sets or artificer armor.

As far as the shorter range, if you are hanging them back you're not being a true WE. WE are all about CC. In CC attacks rule. Anything that's gets you an extra attack for free is a no brainer. More so when you can still Fury...and do it before a charge. the following turn you should be locked combat or running after eating face while your Fury recharges. I do it all the time.

I will bow to your superior gaming experience, and agree they have a place in WE lists, especially if points are tight. That being said, I think 40 points is a small price to pay for the increased flexibility of a fully kitted Tactical squad...because them space bears need killing. Edited by LongGone

So what do you think is better and has more use of the legion rite of war? Tacticals or Assault squads?

I'd love to run assault squads but when I've played Athrawes, he only has 10 and they always get shot up and I actually got a ten man tacticals squad armed with ccws into combat with them where they held them due to having some nearby fearless and FNP, however they didn't do much damage back (this was with 1st legion, no WE rules).

However I know that a dedicated assault squad unit will rip tacticals to shreds

Well, your first problem is running 10 man squads.  30k is all about the big squads.  They are needed for the lack of ATSKNF

As far as which troop, depends on how you are running the army.  If you are footslogging, then you are limited on number of vehicles. If you are jumppacking it, they you have vehicle room for support and non-dedicated transports for the less mobile units. 

When you are talking about units that cost from 250 to 450 points each, 40 points is quite a bit.  That's two upgraded sergeants or most of an apothecary, which are both a better use of points. 

I think any infantry squad with a character and/or larger than ten models does best in some kind of land raider. It is a bit of an investment, but Marine blobs are such big template magnets. I find it's generally better to invest in that assault vehicle than have 250+ points of marines focus fired off the map.

*Everyone* knows World Eaters are nasty in hand to hand, so they will do their absolute best to remove them before they can get there. It's our job to foil those plans.

Russ Brother, The Murderface McKillatron Deathamizer 9000 is just the face wrecker you're looking for. Giftwrap those squads in the assault vehicle of your choice, and then send that bidness somewhere outside your deployment zone where the foe needs a good killin'. Bonus points after they destroy their first enemy unit.

Edit: spelling

Edited by LongGone

Though nigh impossible with a Chaplain in the mix, if you can somehow lose combat in assault and gain Rage...well hilarity ensues.

Hatred + Rage + Zealot + Fury-of-the-Legion-Before-a-charge = a squad put into a blender on its highest setting for 3 hours straight.

and While the "Murder list of Murder Incarnate reenacting the Murder of his Murderous Foes" list is 3k points and is essentially a clown car list : 22 marines per spartan x 3 with the only other units not in a spartan being 3 CC Contemptor Dreads...you could remove the Contemptors for a total of ~500-600 points and invest in either backfield Heavy Support or Supporting Fast Attack to better round out the list to give it a more of an "all comers" flavor.

That being said, we wouldn't be World Eaters if EVERYTHING wasn't charging at you, which was the intent of the list :p

Also, Russ Brother, if you want to do something similar with Iron Hand's, I'd probably drop the extra CCW upgrade (and save 40 points per tac blob) and invest in more Tanks and the like to support, maybe by replacing 1, if not all, of the Contemptors. Maybe making them Contemptor-Mortis' for mobile AT / AA.

I think I shall indeed embark on the Murderface McKillatron Deathamizer 9000 Mk II - it shall be as you suggest, brining Spartans and DCCWs Contemptors - meanwhile my main force can carry the mid/back field with my 3 current Contemptors (2 Mortis and 1 w/Conversion Beamer) and a further 3 in the works - alongside this I'll go for a fire-support base of Deimos Whirlwinds and Mechanicus.

Cheers folks :)

Ugh I'm debating whether running true grit or just as despoilers.

I save 120 points for trading out the bolters, I'm able to run a lot and use the reroll from the rite, and the list is focused on getting closer to combat.

But if I take true grit, I can use one squad to fury, one to move and shoot, and the other to move and run. That way the troops are bounding forward while providing suppressive fire.

So what should I do with 60 tacticals? Should I save the 120 points in bolters to get other gear?

The above Screening method does seem to be the safest bet, especially if you decide to run with close to no transports for the squads.

In the event that you do use a spartan for each squad, at that point you could justify running them as despoilers since you'll usually be safe up to charge range.

Also 120 points lets you take 1-2 back field support units to make sure they stay safe.

The only reason I decided to take them all as true grit is for flexibility. Ie: I unload all 3 squads. sadly one is ever so slightly out of charge range of a target for whatever reason but another isnt. I can then shoot from standard bolter range, get in 20 (or more) shots in to soften up the Target before the other one charges in for the kill.

Whereas with Despoilers, your shooting is limited to your Pistols, whatever they may be.

Yeah my idea was this:

Turn I -> Squad 1 furies of the legion, Squad 2 moves and shoots, Squad 3 moves and runs

Turn 2 -> Squad 1 moves and runs, Squad 2 furies of the legion, Squad 3 moves and shoots

About turn 3 they should all be in position to move and charge all at the same time.

And honestly 40 shots in a turn should be enough to outright kill anything short of AV 13-14+ or a Primarch / Titan. And if it isn't well...thats 60 marines ready to charge :p

I know this is a modeling question, and not related to tactics in any way, but since we're talking about the virtues of the true grit squad I feel I must ask it (plus people in this thread may not visit the Gods of the Arena thread I already asked this in). Apologies to those who have already seen this, but more answers means less money spent on FW stuff...

What is an effective way of modeling true grit Marines? Phobos chain axes come with hands already modeled gripping the haft (yay for conversion challenged hobbyists such as myself!). I know the power weapons kits come with arms and separately modeled hands gripping weapons. Are there other kits we can match the hands+axes to? Or do we just cut the hands off a lot of tactical and despoiler arms?

Depthcharge12, how do you plan on modeling your Killaton McMurderface squads?

To model true grit you can do things, the first, I suggest and the easiest, is to just mix the weapons. Have one guy with a bolter, another with axe and pistol, and yet another with bolter and axe.

The second, and more costly way, is to attach bolters on slings to the marines.

I think I might do true grit squads because it's fluffy to represent the world eaters beginning by shooting and advancing in orderly fashion but then fall to the nails and ditch their bolters for stabby time.

Thanks for the assist gents, by now I know you've both seen the other thread in the general AoD section. Thanks for commenting there as well.

On another note, big ups (or bloody roar) to the various warriors of the XIIth for taking our nonexistent tactics thread and surpassing all but the Word Bearers and Sallies in content and general participation.

Yeah my idea was this:

Turn I -> Squad 1 furies of the legion, Squad 2 moves and shoots, Squad 3 moves and runs

Turn 2 -> Squad 1 moves and runs, Squad 2 furies of the legion, Squad 3 moves and shoots

About turn 3 they should all be in position to move and charge all at the same time.

Squad 3 doesn't do as much shooting, so make them despoilers and spend 80 points on giving squads 1 and 2 all the toys.

40 shots is not enough to kill anything, more so if the target is kited out to take those hits.

Do despoilers and for 5 more points get a apothicary., which is a greater combat multiplier the the extra 12" range. That you maybe able to use once a game.

This is all learned from 8-9 30k players that played nearly every week trying every manner of build from pure fluff to WAAC. I'm not saying that this is the only way, but this is pretty much the standard for anyone running Tacs for CC in my group.

40 shots is not enough to kill anything, more so if the target is kited out to take those hits.

Do despoilers and for 5 more points get a apothicary., which is a greater combat multiplier the the extra 12" range. That you maybe able to use once a game.

This is all learned from 8-9 30k players that played nearly every week trying every manner of build from pure fluff to WAAC. I'm not saying that this is the only way, but this is pretty much the standard for anyone running Tacs for CC in my group.

I agree. Those apothecaries make back their points every game.

Hmm... I have tried hard many times, but I can rarely justify the cost of a Primus Medicae in 9/10 cases.

Outside of a terminator command squad with a bunch of characters, it seems like 2 1/2 normal apothecaries worth of points are very hard to warrant.