New Codex thoughts and ideas

Zeratil

Weird question occurred to me, as a long time black templar fan.

What would y'all have preferred, loosing 90% of our explicitly written fluff and being rolled into SM (assuming somehow we kept most of our unique wargear), or our current situation, where we keep our good fluff, but lack army depth?

This boards reaction reminds me a lot of the BT right after the new dex dropped (minus some zeal), just wondering which y'all would prefer, since neither is ideal :(

Weird question occurred to me, as a long time black templar fan.

What would y'all have preferred, loosing 90% of our explicitly written fluff and being rolled into SM (assuming somehow we kept most of our unique wargear), or our current situation, where we keep our good fluff, but lack army depth?

This boards reaction reminds me a lot of the BT right after the new dex dropped (minus some zeal), just wondering which y'all would prefer, since neither is ideal sad.png

I prefer the fluff, I see no reason to play an army I can not stand behind no matter how good it is on the field. This is why I will never play necrons, because there fluff makes me feel ill in so many ways.

A good general knows how to use what he has no matter how limiting it is and adapts to the changing tides of battle, so with familiarity with the units and the ability to adapt as needed I think we Grey Knights can make up for the lack of breath in our codex.

Will it be hard, yes, will it be time consuming, yes, will there be a learning curve, yes, are we up to the challenge? YES!

What are your guys general thoughts on Nemesis Dreadknight configurations?  I'm pondering getting a small Nemesis Strike Force going, but I have no idea how to arm these guys!

Psilencer + Psycannon seems to be good against monsters (ID plus S7 rending), and if you fail force, can shoot at infantry (18 shots a turn), but wastes the Psycannon's anti-tank capabilities.

Psilencer + Incinerator is hugely anti-infantry, though kind of wastes the incinerator when trying to ID a monster.

Psycannon + Incinerator seems like an odd fit, you can do the large blast + flamer against infantry, or the S6 hit plus the 6 S7 rending shots against a tank, it just doesn't seem to have an optimal target though.

Or is it just never worth going dual gun?

What are your guys general thoughts on Nemesis Dreadknight configurations? I'm pondering getting a small Nemesis Strike Force going, but I have no idea how to arm these guys!

Psilencer + Psycannon seems to be good against monsters (ID plus S7 rending), and if you fail force, can shoot at infantry (18 shots a turn), but wastes the Psycannon's anti-tank capabilities.

Psilencer + Incinerator is hugely anti-infantry, though kind of wastes the incinerator when trying to ID a monster.

Psycannon + Incinerator seems like an odd fit, you can do the large blast + flamer against infantry, or the S6 hit plus the 6 S7 rending shots against a tank, it just doesn't seem to have an optimal target though.

I think the incinerator Psycannon are the best, one ideA I had for this was you can shoot either first but if you shoot at a tank then you have to shoot the second weapon at it as well and a lot of ppl will LoS behind tanks but you can hit the infantry behind a tank thanks to torrent and only have to have a piece of the template hitting the tanks while also covering the unit behind, you can achieve this effect with the other weapon combo's while keeping up a healthy mix of anti infantry and anti-armor

What are your guys general thoughts on Nemesis Dreadknight configurations?  I'm pondering getting a small Nemesis Strike Force going, but I have no idea how to arm these guys!

Psycannon + Incinerator seems like an odd fit, you can do the large blast + flamer against infantry, or the S6 hit plus the 6 S7 rending shots against a tank, it just doesn't seem to have an optimal target though.

I am a fan of an incinerator and if you want more support either will work. Psycannon adds some versatility with its mode and rending so as a general stance I take it next.

Anyone else hoping forge world realizes that if they do a half way decent vehicle or infantry for Grey Knights that we will buy it.

I think H-Incinerator + H-Psycannon is the most versatile. Obviously, for crowd-control (ork hordes!) it's great. You can go anti-tank (St6 is still ok if you've got a couple of parked tanks on the side!). Gatling is only to make nids cry... some more...

I think H-Incinerator + H-Psycannon is the most versatile. Obviously, for crowd-control (ork hordes!) it's great. You can go anti-tank (St6 is still ok if you've got a couple of parked tanks on the side!). Gatling is only to make nids cry... some more...

Hmm... I guess my dilemma is that I'm going to have a very small collection of GK, and I know I want 2 NDK's, but I really don't want to arm them identically, so I'm thinking one with sword + incinerator and the other with psy/psi (and a magnetizable hammer or sword).  I felt like the anti-monster and anti-infantry of the psi/psy lent to the most synergy, though I'm still questioning that.  Sword + Psilencer is kind of a charming idea for the ultimate monster hunter, since a single casting of Force would activate both weapons.

Hmm... I guess my dilemma is that I'm going to have a very small collection of GK, and I know I want 2 NDK's, but I really don't want to arm them identically, so I'm thinking one with sword + incinerator and the other with psy/psi (and a magnetizable hammer or sword). I felt like the anti-monster and anti-infantry of the psi/psy lent to the most synergy, though I'm still questioning that. Sword + Psilencer is kind of a charming idea for the ultimate monster hunter, since a single casting of Force would activate both weapons.

The guns fit securely without magnets or glueing. I haven't glued mine and they come on and off fine because of how they pinch the arm.

I made 2 from the kit and ordered the 3rd weapon on ebay for like 2$ So you can swap between all of them

I can second that!

That's good to hear, though I still don't want to run 2 identical ones in my normal lists (generally backed up with an Adamantine Lance).  Is psy/psi looking like a bad idea?  Would it be better if it had psy/incinerator?  Or maybe even Psi/Incinerator?  I'm quite new to GK, while I've gone against them several times, I haven't ever really put much thought into them as an army.  Thanks!

For a little frame of reference, most of us that ran dreadknights in the past were used to paying 200pts for it (one range weapon and one melee weapon, if you want the teleporter, add another 75). Now that we can get basically the same thing (and in some cases more) for significantly cheaper, we're a little giddy.

To answer your question, you don't need two ranged weapons. I got by fine with my dreadknight just having a heavy incinerator for a long time. What it really comes down to is the role you want your dreadknight to fill. Anti-horde? heavy incinerator and/or heavy psycannon. Anti-armor? Heavy psycannon. Anti multi-wound model/MC? Gatling psilencer and force weapon (hammer or sword are fine, but the hammer is nice if you don't get force off).

I'm going to start trying out mine with the heavy psycannon, heavy incinerator, and greatsword with the teleporter as points allow (I still don't think it's mandatory upgrade, but it sure is nice that it's cheaper!).

I just can't bring myself to make any more lists. sad.png

The Codex is just so bland. And has no synergy.

Its peppy and fast paced now, at first it looked meh but after things soaked in im really looking forward to it

I just can't bring myself to make any more lists. sad.png

The Codex is just so bland. And has no synergy.

Its peppy and fast paced now, at first it looked meh but after things soaked in im really looking forward to it

I think he was referring to the fact there is like 3 builds (and that's being pretty generous) that really are even almost competitive.

I mean with whats in the book how many builds are you expecting to be able to pull off? They turned the fluff into a pretty unique adavantage for us.

Fluff doesn't stop the bullet-wound sensation in your foot when you field Purgation or Strike squads.

Nor does fluff help us take out AV13 or flyerspam.

They turned the fluff into a pretty unique adavantage for us.

If fluff made for interesting games we won, then all we'd need to field was Draigo.

Sadly, the fluff doesn't even keep us warm at night any more, nor look attractive on our mantlepiece.

I see no advantage that fluff brings to anything.

Archived