Casual 30k Hobby Challenge. Month 1

Frostmourne

Right, I have something to show!

First up, my White Scars test piece, missing arms (they're in the post):

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/WhiteScars-Test.jpg

I'm now hoping to be done with the other 4 with arms soon. After that, it's this bunch for the Alpha Legion (I know you said try to stick with 1 Legion, but i can't help myself)!

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/AlphaLegion-Tacticals.jpg

@fire golem

In the end, you can do all legions as you want.

A armoured Night Lords force? Sure

A Siege company of Sons of Horus? Go ahead.

A assault force of Iron Warriors? Got you covered!

But if you want to follow the preferred tactic of said legion, then yes. Sons of Horus and Night Lords are, on tabletop, much alike.
Where as the Iron Warriors (we got candy, join us.) are a very much direct opposite.

In the end, I find that it mostly comes down to - fluff, colour scheme and imo the Forge World models. As I can't GS at all, then I'm very dependant on FW delivering.

I liked both the NL models, rules and fluff.

But I found that I liked the IW way of war better, that the colour scheme fit me more, and that Perturabo is way cooler. :)

I do like the Night Lords and the Iron Warriors a lot, I keep penduluming between the two haha. I'll probably end up doing both but just need to pick one to do now.

The one thing I'm a little worried about is the colour scheme, silver and brass, does it not get boring? But I think the modelling opportunities of a mid siege trench warfare IW force is awesome (see 1000heathens IW, a huge inspiration for me).

Also, Radiation Burns, Burns in general - really, bullet divots, cracks/chunks missing from being hit in melee, weathering adds a lot of variety to what could otherwise be considered a stale scheme.

For radiation burns, you could use a more purple-orange stain to the edges of the burn mark; whereas with fire you'd use a brown-black edge.

Feel free to experiment, who knows, maybe they fought against a xenos race who's weapons stained the armor of the Astartes...say...Bright Pink?

Okay you guys are doing a good job of selling them to me :) weathering is something I'd like to experiment with and they seem like the perfect legion for it, mis matched and hastily repaired armour, improvised weapons, mud, ash, soot, blood, burns, bullet holes, shattered armour, gashed up boarding shields...

I do like their colour scheme I just thought it might be a bit boring to paint but it sounds a lot more interesting after that!

Silver and Brass is indeed not the most challenging paint scheme - the secret is breaking up the silver and brass with wear and tear.

I always try and add some yellow and black on either a shin-plate or at least on their weapons. For contrast and an easy place to add visible weathering.

Also, I find that a easier paint scheme, makes painting some 60 marines a lot more tolerable smile.png

Yeah a simple paint scheme would be good, I've never painted before so... Also I forgot about the yellow. I'll probably go with the chevrons, I know some people don't like them but it's somethig else to break up the silver.

So small update - not really a pledge tongue.png - But, just got my destroyers + Recon + (4th..I just love them so much) Contemptor and other odds and ends from FW; With ~2 weeks till my school session starts and generally having those 2 weeks free of work, I SHOULD ( ie I'm a procrastinator) get everything assembled (see my post about the boat load of mini's I have to assemble) and probably start painting. I am, however, currently working on 3 test mini's for my Imperial Fists scheme, will see how it goes and all that.

Also, just got the collectors edition of Extermination (+ 2 red books but they're black in this case and art book) So I've now got a slipcase for all 3 tomes + the handy dandy pure rules books. All the way from Australia :O Thanks Ebay!

http://s4.hulkshare.com/song_images/original/f/f/6/ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg?dd=-62169985172

Demon2027: that's a beautiful paintjob, man.

I aspire for my models to be that good.

Bulbafist: just went through this thread in detail, and i gotta say, your iron warriors look absolutely amazing!

Jaspcat: if i'm not mistaken these recent world eaters you've made are propably the best renditions of pre-heresy world eaters i've seen.

Archived