Casual 30k Hobby Challenge. Month 1

Frostmourne

I'm looking forward to ordering them haha. I still think I'm gonna do IW as the main detachment. I can't see what they could do to ruin them, but if they do Iron Havocs and Tyrant Siege terminators won't be hard to convert :)

Ugh guys it's not even been a day and now I'm looking at Raven Guard... Been reading Vengeful Spirit with the awesome RG guy and Extermination... I'm gonna do them after SoH/IW anyway but now I kinda wanna do them now, as with the awesome Contemptor coming out for them...

I'm so sorry -.-

Ugh :'(

@Fire Golem.....haha mate, its horrible isnt it...the choosing of a legion is almost a torture! Your in good company though..

I think Demon2027 nailed it perfectly in his earlier post, so much time gets wasted on just trying to decide and coming up with ideas.

I wish you luck in picking as im currently in the same boat.

I know it's awful. You decide and the bam, you read something or see an awesome model and you wanna do them... I'm definitely gonna do SoH at some point, and use those shoulder pads you sent me :) thanks again for that. I just need to pick them/IW first or raven guard. It's so goddamn tough.

What legions are you stuck on?

Lol..its easier knowing which legions I DONT want to do...

Ok...do I carry on with Worldeaters or imperial fists or sons of horus or deathguard or iron warriors or alpha legion or blood angels...

I think im swinging round to the Iron Warriors as I reckon I can nail a paint recipie that could have me churning models out rather fast to a decent standard...

Although I am re-reading Angel Exterminatus at the moment which my be biasing my choice haha

I might just give up space marines altogether and do gardening! But the what flowers should I plant...roses or daffodils or haha...excuse my mad ramblings but my brain hurts.

Back on topic..so you have shortlisted down to 3 legions now..I reckon try a test mini for all 3 and see which one of the three you enjoy painting the most

Don't worry about rambling haha my brain hurts too -.- yeah I've short listed down to three so I could try a test for each yeah. Right now I'm really leaning towards the RG... But I do still want to do IW and SoH. It's more a case of which I wanna do now haha.

Could make the argument that the Raven Guard pre Corax fought with the Sons of Horus...

Focus fire golem! You said IW and until you paint at least 10 of them you aren't changing!

Use this friendly competition as a way to lock in your choices. If you need help with keeping on the straight and narrow and one legion at a time we'd be glad to help you. Like we've said; stick to one legion at a time.

Paint the squads you've pledged THEN go ahead and paint RG/AL/NL. Sure things might be pulling at you from the sides but if you weather the storm of temptation you'll be better for it since you'll more likely be able to resist and actually stick to one project at a time.

I know I'm sorry I'm a nightmare :/

Im hoping once I order some models and get started, it'll lock me in, it's just in this time waiting for payday and my mind starts to wander between legions.

I know that I pledged iron warriors. It's a toss up between them and RG. Both are awesome in their own way. I just need to pick one now to start and then you lot can make sure I stick to it.

Alright Fire Golem, here's what we're going to do. And excuse me if I come off as a hardass during this, just trying to help ya :P

Plan out all your forces: What will you Iron Warriors, Sons of Horus, Alpha Legion, Raven Guard and Night Lords look like ( I...thought you narrowed it down further than that...might just be me..)

Then, divide those forces into smaller chunks that you can buy a bit more frequently than say "3 spartans and 5 fire raptors". That way you'll have a more or less constant stream of models coming in. If you need to, obtain each smaller division on a legion per legion basis. So, purchase 1 - IW, purchase 2 - SoH, etc. That way, your building ALL your legions at the same time, but keeping the focus of only doing one at any given point. You'll also spread this out further over time and might have a change of heart along the way.

Emperor knows thats what I did for my 3-4 legions that I chose (IF, WE, RG and TS); Starting with Imperial Fists, just waiting on a Dorn, Sigismund and Templar Brethren Mini and It'll be everything I need but a few layers of paint. ONLY AFTER FINISHING THEM! Will i then move onto my Clown-Car World Eaters (3 spartans with 3 (20) tacs, 3 chaplains, 3 apoths + 3 Contemptors with (2) DCCW) and ONLY when I finish that will I move onto my Raven Force One ( 5 flyer list as posted in your RG thread).

If you have a sense of direction, it'll help you keep on track and maybe the above method is the way you might need to do it, just don't jump around too much. :P

Hope this helps in any way FG, would hate to see ya burn yourself out :P

Thanks Slipstreams. I've narrowed it down further in as much as the Night Lords and Alpha Legion will be smaller detachments I add further down the line. So really it's Sons of Horus, Iron Warriors and Raven Guard. Makes sense to do it how you've done it, one legion at a time, even if I'm doing more than one legion. So one unit at a given point. I still need to pick which to start with though!

Sorry again for being so difficult :/

At this point, decide by lottery lol. Roll a d3 (if you have one) or a D6, assign a number to a legion (1 and 4 being x, 2 and 5 being y, 3 and 6 being z). You WILL take the legion that the dice gods *praise RNGesus our merciful (and equally wrathful) lord of gaming!* chose. It'll work out for you in the long run. 

"This is the Long War brother, we shall win over the course of ten millenia not a single century!"

To further cement yourself in the RG camp, If you can afford it get this : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/RAVEN_GUARD_SPACE_MARINES_UPGRADE_PACK.html

That way, you'll a) have spare bits lying around cool.png be forced to paint RG damnit!

Edit: the amount of Laurels might be off putting, but since RG are loyalists I don't see why the Vets couldn't have them as an honor mark (which the laurel is).

Don't do it if you can't! But yeah, having a sense of direction that you can't deviate from till completion is a nice thing to have, especially if its feasible and entirely within the realm of possibility for you to do adequately if not spectacularly.

...Post 600 f*** am I a talkative one >_>..going to have to stop posting at 666 just for the sake of it.

Archived