Vengance from the Shadows

Daemon2027

This started as an Alpha Legion protect, and it has turned into a Raven Guard one. I have kept the Alpha Legion stuff for people who are interested. The Raven Guard fun starts on page 3.

Thanks for looking.

15024089967_9139f6f595.jpg

“The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognise traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.”

BEGIN

+++

Athena system, World Sixty Eight Nineteen

Locally known as Nike

Type: Hive World

Population: 89 Billion

Compliment for 125 year

Insurrection commenced c.999 M30

Official Cause: Xenos Parasite

Actual Cause: Reactivist, led by former Imperial Lord General Kursk.

Action Taken: Agent X193846 released, unexpected reaction to local H2O reserves caused mass psychosis

+++

++Insurrection spread to rest of system, Army regiments diverted to theatre. 87% of the diverted units joined the general. Believed possible [redacted] corruption. Astartes requested++

+++

++Second System, Apollo, rise in Insurrection. 908th Expeditionary fleet [see attached] arrive, army units held in reserve, Legio Astartes, led by the Xth Legion, make slow progress. Army regiments [see attached] allowed to enter the theatre, under guidance from the IIIrd and XVIIth Legions. VIIth legion also believed operation in but due to the events at [redacted] not officially recognised by Imperial Command++

+++

++Believed taint centred on Lord General Kursk. Targeted for extermination, threat level, Extreme.

Has so far evaded or killed all agents, including an Astartes strike force led by Centurion Lucconius of the Xth Legion [see Artremis Incedent ref:897484896]++

+++

++Lord General believed to be on Sixty Eight Twenty Four

Locally known as Delph

The Delph front is vital to the war, and is where the majority of the Army regiments are focused. If The Lord General is corrupted as believed then we are in serious danger ot unacceptable loses, and the ability to control this sub sector. Local Legio Astartes units from the XVIIth Legion, The Burning Star Chapter, will not be able to contain. Success rate of The Burning Star being able to apprehend The Lord General and the Reactivist command - 12 Percent

Risk level not acceptable, request Alpha Null procedure

Authorisation Beta8458++

+++

++Authorise use of Legio Astartes XX Accepted

Cell Delta-Theta-Epsilon confirm Effrit action

Operation Oracle initiated++

+++

END

Just to say what I intend here. I keep making the mistake of mixing a modelling project with an army project and never being satisfied. So I have decided to split the two. My Iron Hands, who were mentioned above, will be the army project, and set during the heresy and will no doubt appear over in the wip section. Here I will keep the modelling project.

The idea is to make an initial killteam, that can be used in Victory is Vengeance. How it grows from there I don't know, but I want to be free from the restraint of trying to finish a unit. Hopefully I can progress the story on, as the Alpha Legion become more involved in the war. There is not much time till the heresy (which they know of) so they will have to act quick.

Please bear with me on the spelling and grammar, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but being dyslexic, I tend to fear presenting writing to others.

I hope to bring you more later depending on how tired I am. Thanks for reading.

The Final Solution

1 Standard Terran hour after Operation Oracle initiated

Agent Ghost Kappa
Current Assignment: removal of Xeno Race 00023, classified Ork, clan leaders to avoid tribes uniting into a larger force. Secondary objective, maintain the Ork population as a threat in order to maintain upcoming XIII legion campaign viability.
+++
New Order uploading
Extract from location, rendezvous with vessel Theta Omega Delta for transport to Apollo system.
Infiltrate local war zone, find Target identifier 364673.
Maintain vigil.

Other Legio forces in area, include XX Legion strike team Delta-Theta-Epsilon operating under Effrit conditions. They are to apprehend target, if they fail, order to use lethal force falls to Ghost Kappa.
Confirm Mission Parameters.
Confirmation Received

New Agent Identifier Uploaded

For the Emperor Agent Exodus

15223543381_5968c7c4a8.jpg

Mooooooooore. Please.

I take it that you liked what you saw, hope above satisfies you.

My Brother. I too am doing a kill team Lambda//235 "King Slayers" I'll be interested in seeing where this goes.

I saw your Legionnaire Brother, perhaps one day our cells can hunt together. For The Emperor

Your spelling and grammar seems fine to me brother, and I'm very intrigued so far :)

Cheers, I did edit like 5 times after posting, and there are still a few typos.

Yeah!! This is going to be good! Can't wait to see some more :tu:

Cheers mate, more upcoming.

Well I didn't notice any and it's better grammar than most people I know so don't let it scare you out of posting stuff! Awesome stuff so far, looking forward to doing some XXth of my own, but I need to at least start my XIXth first ;)

Nice, he is bringing his own cover.

He has done a crap job really, most of him is exposed.

Well I didn't notice any and it's better grammar than most people I know so don't let it scare you out of posting stuff! Awesome stuff so far, looking forward to doing some XXth of my own, but I need to at least start my XIXth first ;)

That's kind of you to say, and you have already started your XXth legion, you just don't know it yet

nice start, Arkhan and I had the same idea with heresy KT's

I don't think I have looked at them yet, will have to. I would like to think this will grow, these guys badly need a fire raptor. Well they don't, but I want them to...

More pics!

Request feed for Agent Identifier Exodus, currently deployed for Operation Oracle. Authorisation code Epsilon-Rho-Pie

Live feed access granted

15043598450_2056deb13c.jpg

Note the modified Tigrus pattern stalker bolter, capable of firing armour piercing Farstrike propulsion rounds

feed end

Just to say, he is not currently stuck to the base, hence the odd pose, with a floating foot.

Keep it coming, operative! For the Emperor! :D

Of course brother

That Exodus is so cool. Think I'm gonna have to start on my AL next month.

Thanks, may make some further changes to the rifle.

-----------------

Insertion

+++

Strike Team Delta-Theta-Epsilon

Infiltrate Area

Locate Target

Remove Reactivist HQ

Take Target, Preferably Alive

Warning, information taken from our Benefactors indicate that if The Lord General sufferers a mortal wound, then the Warp Taint may lead to a more serious situation (ref:Nurth Incident)

For the Emperor

+++

My Lord, please find my report on the actions of the XX legion in the recent suppression of a revolt in the Heleios sub system. It is hard to be certain of information in regards to the XXth Legio Astartes, and I have never before come across a wealth of evidence for their small scale operational tactics. I do believe that the threat posed by the XXth Legion may be greater then we feared.

Forever your servant

SC

While The Lord General was known to be on Sixty Eight Twenty Four his exact location could not be pinpointed. The XXth legions usual method of inside human agents, known as SpartoÍ, would have taken to long to place. It was also believed that the General was moving position every few days, so once located the Strike Team would have to move quickly and as stealthily as possible or the Kursk could go back to ground. Evaluating data from the failed attempts on the General the XXth legion assessed the most probable locations the General would base himself. The chances of the selected location being a possible base for the General increased upon spotting the reactivists elite infantry moving into position several miles from the complex. The building was once an armoury, and could be easily defended. It was deemed a calculated risk that The Lord General would use this location, and it was here the Strike Team choose to apprehend the Lord General.

With the location chosen the a Strike Team needed to infiltrate the area. Too heavy an assault could potentially send the General to ground, however the traitor lines were to well defended for even a stealth team to slip past. It was deemed that if heavy fighting was to brake out then the Strike Team could successfully infiltrate into Reactivist territory. The Alpha Legion had no sway over the Imperial Command, but they did have another way to increase the fighting in the area, Agent X193846. Effects of Agent X193846 on local populous were noted, and it's use in the sub system had been curtailed, however these restrictions are not in effect when it comes to the Legio Astartes. The Agent was seeded into local clouds, and the psychotic effects quickly took effect. Heavy fighting broke out and the Strike Team was able to infiltrate enemy territory, and only had to inflict minimal casualties on enemy forces. Once behind the front line, Delta-Theta-Epsilon set up a safe house, and prepared for the next phase.

15235407861_ac0725a0c2.jpg

Shown is Prime Castus, taken shortly after the Strike Team reached the location chosen for their safe house. Prime is a title used for second in command of the strike team, and is usually reserved for veteran, however it is not unknown for battle brothers to also be given the role, if their skill set is deemed appropriate.

I'm curious what you used for the bolt pistol suppressor/ silencer.

A bit of cylinder resin left over from the block of resin the FW kits come on. I just cut it to the size I wanted drilled a hole in either end, drilled out the barrel, glued some brass rod in the barrel, then stuck the 'suppressor' on the other side. I think what I may do in the future is to roll out a cylinder of GS, let it cure overnight, then use that.

Yep, 1mm plasticard on the thighs, 1mm on the waist, and 0.5mm on the neck.

If I take this further and start to build a Harrow, the Praetor will be slightly taller to simulate his ability to 'be' the Primarch.

Currently working to bring you some standard tac marines, just playing around with poses really. What I really want is 2 recon marines in recon armour, both with sniper rifles, and maybe a third in normal power armour with a shotgun. The PA guy is easy, but what to do for recon armour. I am not a fan of the scout armour, but looking IG kits, they are far to small. If I use Scout armour I will still need to add some hight, as these are full battle brothers, just put of their armour.

Screw it, there's too many awesome AL atm, gonna have to do some.

Do it, the XXth legion is always growing.

So, I have been musing on this. I am having fun, like proper fun building these models, and trying to get in their heads for the op. But here is the thing, the group I am making just doesn't fit the bill. Exodus is firstly to expensive for the group, he would be better placed as a Vigilator Centurion, his extended Tigirus pattern bolter counting as his sniper rule. The Prime looks to much like a tac sgt, not like the Effrit marine I had envisioned. To that end, Cell Delta Theta Epsilon needs to change. Headhunter kill team squads contain (almost) everything I want. Power daggers, stealth, heavy bolter, bane strike. They could cut up an Astartes squad with their bolters, and they would massacre Guard. Throw in a few Recon Snipers, I have my team. The one thing putting my off them, us waiting yo see what FW bring us. Now, I have no idea when we will them, I am hoping for gamesday or whatever it's called now, but we still need a Primarch and a few kits from book II, and kits for the other 3 legion in book III. Plus there is book IV and the kits we have seen from there.

Also, I am guessing but feel it's likely, that the headhunter kit will be an upgrade kit like NL Terror Squads. It makes sense for what is an upgraded seeker squad, which is a unit that doesn't have it's own kit. Now, looking at the art work for the AL, I am thinking that FW will go down the scales route. Which is cool, it's a different look, and one that fits the theme. But dose it for an Effrit squad? Not really.

So I have been brainstorming ideas for head hunters, and I have a few, merging stuff I have done in the past, such as the recent upgraded armour, with the older cloaks, shemaghs, and other fabric. The paint scheme also needs to be dark, not quite black, but not the turquoise of Legion. So the Prime above, who is really more a tac sgt, will wear the turquoise, in a scheme I have finally got down (only taken me 2 years!). So I need to restart the squad, but what to do with the above Prime/sgt, and the tac squad member who I am painting. I feel they would be better suited to be a Hort form a sub-Echelon which would make up a wider Harrow. The kill team would also be part of this Sub-Echelon but, being Effrit, would also be independent. I am trying to create a structure for a legion that appears to have none (but in reality it has a structure that can be both fluid, and strict). It is also a structure that deeply embeds it's SpartoÍ, who are more the just agents but as important as the line Legionnaires.

That's where the story I am trying to tell comes in. In theory, even a small squad of Astartes should rip through human troops with ease. I have made things difficult for them, finesse was needed, but once they confirmed the General, the mission should be straightforward. To this end I want to try and show that the Legions worst enemy is it self. I have tried to implant the cracks already, differing agendas in the team, misinformation, and the whole op is based on a calculated guess. I want them to be very good at what they do, but so arrogant they create their own downfall. I also want to show them as having a cold, logic driven philosophy, one that cares not for collateral damage, or the 'right' way of doing things. I don't want them to lose, but neither should they win, they are after all, Serpents, on Delph, in a system called Apollo! But seeing as I am working on a wider force, I am thinking about how to advance the story, moving them away from this system and into the fires of the Heresy. One last thing, I have always felt, and want my Alpha Legion to be, how I read in between the

Lines(lies) of Legion. They are neither loyalist or traitors, they fight for humanity, not the Imperium, not the Emperor, not Chaos, not the Cable, but the continuation of the Homo genus.

I would love some thoughts, ideas, on all things XXth legion, from modelling to background. Use this a an open forum if you like, tell me your ideas for the XXth

So the way I'm doing my Cell is this. They're the guys who board vessels, take what they want, kill the crew and slip back into the night. I currently have mine operating in Ultramar, but attacking supplies for both sides in an attempt to give the Ultramarines a chance. Modeling wise I have lots of Mk IV and MK VI, but am not doing heavy weathering, mostly just chips and scratches. I shoot you a PM with some of the ideas I'm bouncing around. 

Archived