15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

So I got a brief break while my son does some Chinese homework.

On to the next wee side project for my Wolves allies.

The knight Lancer.

My fevered brain has been working on an idea and I want to incorporate a rock I found in my garden.

This is my idea:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160326_101610.jpg

And this is the rock :)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160324_170930.jpg

Am I going mad, is it too dynamic a pose for the Knight, or is it something which will work and look cool?

i think it could look awesome for sure. gonna be one heavy model with that base though lol. At least the rock will allow for a good lean on the knight to make it more dynamic and keep it balanced.

I got a good laugh out of this. I dunno is this dynamic enough for you?! *mother friggin boulder* :laugh.:

I like it, will definitely be heavy, but if you're going to go with a rock that big....why not go to some place that cuts counter tops and see if you can't get a piece of granite or marble from their scrap pile? Make it really cool looking....

Amarog: The model will certainly be heavy. The stone will be around 1.5 times heavier than the model itself, so balance shouldn't be too much of an issue.

To give the model more strength I will double pin the leg joints etc, as glue alone may not be a good idea. This model is going to be 90% display, as I only get to play a few times per year and I doubt I will get the chance to put everything on the table at once :) 

I am wondering if something like an 8mm masonry drill bit would do the job, fill the hole with milliputt/green stuff wit something like a 2-3mm rod running through the foot and into the leg itself.

Fytharin, glad it gave you a laugh, I just always imagine these engines of war as being quite big & clunky rather than dynamically mobile.

A nice chunk of granite would be cool, but I may end up apinting the stone, especially if any drilling is totally obvious. This one does have some really nice quartz shiny bits through it though. 

I like the stone on the bas as-is because the chips etc will make for fun & interesting painting, plus I can match the stone to the other models bases.However I took the stone off the base and turned it over.

The other side is much smoother and has a nice drop off, a bit like a cliff

So, like this:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160326_180118.jpg

Front

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160326_180137.jpg

Back

Or as before:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160324_170930.jpg

JBickB, you are right about needing the hammer drill.

That rock is tough!! I just knackered, the smallest masonry drill bit, so will need to butter up the old man to see if I can borrow his hammer action drill :(

If not will have to buy one, so looking like the construction of the knight will go on hold while I am offshore... I could take the stone with me, but I would risk odd looks from security when my bags get checked.

In other news I got over the fear of using the airbrush, gave it a good clean and Oh man am I about to have some fun. Dual action is a bit fiddly to get used to, plus the gravity feed goes into the side of the brush, not the top lol.

If I can get enough grey then this could be the year of the wolf as far as painting goes :D

Don't you already get odd looks with all the toys you take with you?

Are you saying you don't get weird looks whenever you take your toys to battle?

I carry most of my army about in an old xbox 360 box, which gets me funny looks both outside the gaming store, and also when i turn up with it ("I think you have the wrong kind of gaming there mate") ;)

Must be a rough neighbourhood if pregnant women get mugged.

The rock will travel :smile.:

However I cannot get some of my tools glue and filler offshore so the knight will stay home.

To keep things going should I take 15 terminators who are 80% done or do the Glaive?

Neither is eligible for ETL.

Oh for odd looks try transporting your army in 5 litre ice cream tubs :wink:

Edited by dantay_xv

Lets just say my FLGS has been broken into 4 times, had 4 seperate attempts that failed, my army was stolen out of the back of my truck, cars get stolen all the time, and I hate to say that I'm no longer surprised when I see that another 80+ year old veteran downtown was beaten up in the papers so that they could take the money/jewelry from his house. (This has happened three times in the last year, they even took the mans medals one time. Found out these were 11, 14 and 15 year old boys) Property crime is extremely high here...or I should say it's easy. Migrant workers are in and out all the time so there's really no way to track them.

Edited by Fytharin

I normally play at home or my cousin's house. Sometimes we invade my Grandma's garage or our shared Grandparents garage. Only one we get looks from is my Aunt. She may think I'm a little for toy soldiers. My cousin and his friends are around 15 years younger than me :D

Sounds like small-town life is idyllic, compared to some of you guys!!

You should come over and give it a try :)

Hope your pregnancy is going smoothly Fyth.

Anyways back offshore and trying to get my half-done Wolves finished. They got pretty banged up, so while waiting for glue to arrive, I made a quick start on this bad boy!!

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160331_090844.jpg

He has been intimidating me for ages and I keep promising to buy the FW paints, but never getting to it. 

I have 3 weeks on this tub, so thought, why not make a start?

Every Horus I have seen is pale grey of the Luna Wolves or Black because he has turned. I thought I would try something different. In False Gods, when Horus is considered to be arond the zenith of his powers, he goes to Davin to put down the insurrection there. He presents himself in the sea green plate of his legion with a regal purple cloak.

So that is what I am shooting for. Hopefully I can do the model justice.

My idea is that if I he can be both loyalist Horus or traitor Horus (early heresy, before putting on the black terminator suit gifted to him by the dark mechanicum).

Lets consider this Primarch practice for Russ' release ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, its been a stupid long time since I posted up in here hasn't it?

I have ben posting in the ETL thread, but I figured I should bring some of the madness back to here as well, rather than jam up the ETL with random madness :D

So where am I at?

Well Horus is finished and done!!

The Knight is on hold until I can figure out how to pose him n that rock!

And then there is the ETL

Vow 1 was completed

20160604 201043[1]

5 Wulfen

20160604 200944[1]

Ulrik

20160604 201004[1]

Ragnar

20160604 200931[1]

Wolf Lord, who is a counts as Bran

20160604 200852[1]

Wolf Lord

20160604 200814[1]

Wolf Lord

20160604 200802[1]

Wolf Lord who used to be Krom

20160604 200751[1]

Wolf Lord who is/was Erik Morkai

20160604 200735[1]

Njal Storm Caller

Next up came vow 2:

And this is where I am up to... The airbrush did really well for me here

20160619 191903

Typhon

20160619 191910

Predator with conversion beamer and lascannon sponsons

20160619 191923

Whirlwind Scorpius

20160619 191938

20160619 191943

2 drop pods

20160619 192053

20160619 191954

20160619 192307

20160619 192307

5 Land Raiders of different types

20160619 192002

Caestus Assault Ram

Mow the Ram is particularly interesting as I have had a few ideas for it and they are slightly mad!

20160610 154614

As it is

Idea1: Paint lower section brown like the hull of a long ship and run some knot work across it

gallery 79710 12004 792626 brown lonboat

Idea 2: Upper sections red, the colour of the murdermake and again there will be some knot work

gallery 79710 12004 792626 Red Top

Or idea 3: Creamy top I can ten do the legion/ chapter symbols on the top sectiom and again some knot work down the sides

gallery 79710 12004 792626 cream Top

Am I barking mad?

Your thoughts please?

I quite like the cream too, but I was thinking that with knot work on the sides AND a wolf head on the top.

The front section would get busy really quickly.

So I would drop the Wolf head and maybe do this instead in a dark brown or black:

viking dragon 3 By vikingtattoo

Maybe rotate the dragon neck and have the design cover both top and side of the front sections

If I went with the deep red, ten maybe this design:

viking dragon 2010 By vikingtattoo

Again with the loops and swirls going over the top and side, the head would go on the side. The design for the cream could work too.

In both designs, I would do a wolf head on the small vertical fins, with a cream/ white horizontal stripe through it.

Akin to the white stripes on the Spartan

With the brown, I would use the shield boss design and keep it purely in the brown section, leaving the top and side free for a simple legion wolf design.

viking shield boss dragon 2

Edited by dantay_xv

Im not much help this time around. I like the 2nd dragon. Ofcourse red is the color I'd go with :D

The blocks of color I'm having a bit of trouble with though. The lone block of color doesn't feels like it fits. Are you going to splash tge cgosen color elsewhere on the Assault Ram?

Thanks guys.

Seems it is pretty unanimous to go with the red.

I did a quick mock up of the dragon designs. I apologise in advance for my totally crappy  skills.

Hopefully you can visualise where I want to take this.

gallery 79710 12004 792626 Red Top updated

gallery 79710 12004 792626 Red Top updated 2

I added the cream stripes for an idea of where I want to put them. I am hoping it will help to visually tie this in with the Spartan.

The red dot is where the Chapter/ Legion symbol will go (maybe)

However after mocking these up I found 2 other designs I really like.

871e41907ed160ae4cfb0ce2af79c731

jormungandr

Let me know what you think on these.

Next up is ideas for the Typhon

I was thinking this for the front shield.

I can adapt it and add a Rune name.

thCAL65UYD

I was also considering these designs to go down the sides.

This one is similar in style with the Spartan, and can be done in line form to match, or maybe go for an inverse look, such as here.

wolf

L

This one is an adaptation of what is on the Spartan, so they would look very similar. Maybe too similar?

norse dragon right By metal storm

Then there is this, which I like, but with text removed

Fenrir Design Copyright 01

After that I have to consider the Land Raiders of which there are 5.

1 has FW doors on it, so problem solved, right?

From here I have already used 1 of these 3 designs, so I am thinking to use the other 2

4fd25608db21810413ab6061051c909e

And then use this for another.

Th

4 Land Raiders down

Another design I am considering for the fifth Land Raider is this:

House Stark Wallpaper 15

That just leaves me with 2 drop pods and  in reality, 1 is glued into a crater so no door detailing is required.

I am also thinking to do a very simple design as it will need to be repeated 5 times, so what about this knot work dragon head?

viking knot postkarten r7bdbbe8c036843d9bf27c94151e63600 vgbaq 8byvr 512

That just leaves the Scorpius and the predator. I will come back to those another time.

viking knot By paivatar d5laee8

fenrir

Let me know what you think (apart rom this guy is completely loco!)