Yeah I think us successors will be fine using special characters 99% of the time. Maybe not in official tournaments or against that one guy that you probably don't want to play with anyway...

I bet most people would even be fine with people using Seth along side other BA characters and having them all benefit from each other's buffs. I honestly dont think that's op or abusing the game mechanics at all

It's the same for Tyranid players. Technically now anyone who has different units painted as different hive fleets can't buff each other. I understand the reasoning behind it, but as far as I'm concerned they can just count models from different hive schemes to be together. Flesh Tearers and other successors have always been counted as Blood Angels, sharing the same rules, so to split it now is a bit harsh.

Codex vs BA vs SW etc. makes sense, as they have their own sets of special characters but successors? That just makes people not want to try something different.

I'll be letting my Tyranid opponent cross-buff regardless of paint scheme and I expect I'll be able to keep mixing my Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers units, while keeping any Codex unit separate.

Okay so... When all of the specific special characters are keyword: Bood Angels - that's fine, no issue.

But you can't go mixing Seth and Mephiston, that's properly against the rules.

I'd protest to people using mixed hive fleet special characters, regardless of paint job. By all means use them, but only stick to one hive fleet etc

Otherwise, thats the same argument along the lines of "yeah but Azrael should buff my Blood Angels"

Saw these guys on Facebook. Store owner said he trimmed the shoulder pads with plastic cutters and a knife to get the upgrade sprue pads to fit. Looks like I might be buying an upgrade sprue (or 2) myself now.

http://i.imgur.com/oLFdUnT.jpg

Literally what I had planned for my primaris when they come in. Though none of them will be helmetless...

Okay so... When all of the specific special characters are keyword: Bood Angels - that's fine, no issue.

But you can't go mixing Seth and Mephiston, that's properly against the rules.

I'd protest to people using mixed hive fleet special characters, regardless of paint job. By all means use them, but only stick to one hive fleet etc

Otherwise, thats the same argument along the lines of "yeah but Azrael should buff my Blood Angels"

Azrael is different, he's from a different faction. I'm perfectly fine with Codex, BA, SW, DA etc. all being unable to buff each other as they're different armies.

BA successors (and any other chapter successors) use all the same rules as their parent chapters, the units are identical, but suddenly a successor player finds that their special characters are much less useful as they've been converted into aura-providers and those auras don't work on the rest of their models when the week before it was perfectly fine.

In my case my units are a mix of BA and Flesh Tearers, which today can mix absolutely fine. In a few days half my characters will suddenly be unable to provide their auras/buffs to the oher half of my units, which makes it no different to having a mix of BA and Ultramarines (or any other non-BA faction chapter).

I like the fact that cross-faction buffing is largely gone (aside from when buffs are to Astartes), but this is within our own faction. Codex chapters had the different chapter tactics before, which differentiated them, and a range of different special characters. For BA only 1 successor chapter has 1 special character, the rest have none and now can't benefit from the special characters they've been using after Friday after being treated as the same faction up to this point.

The only option is to say "these are all Blood Angels", which works for any successor chapter without characters of Flesh Tearers not using Seth, but then people who play fluffy and have back stories to their chapters are having to throw all that aside to avoid being punished on the tabletop.

Edit: For Tyranids there are no set hive fleets for special characters, they can all be set to whichever fleet you want which by the rules means you can just say all your models are Hive Fleet X regardless of paint job. That just takes away from the fluff and personality again, as someone who has some units painted one way, some another to represent the different fleets now can't play their army reflecting that or half their units would be unable to buff each other. They have to throw that fluff out of the window during a game and just make up some random hive fleet name to bypass it.

Edited by Thoridon

I should also add that I don't play competitively. I'm not advocating for anyone to turn up at a tournament or game store and demand to let Flesh Tearers work differently. The rules are the rules, so any environment where they're to be followed is fine. I still think it's a bit annoying to suddenly have the distinction for successors, but if I did happen to play with people I don't know I'd just not use Seth and simply say all my units are Blood Angels (even though some are darker red and have a nice white swirly blade on their shoulders).

I play friendly games, and we've house ruled certain things before. In 7th we felt it was silly having reserves being random so we decided you could choose any movement phase from turn 2 onward. We also felt units should be able to charge after deep strike, so we house ruled that. Both of those rules are now inbuilt for 8th, so it's nice and simple for us.

For 8th I think we'll probably house rule it so the Tyranid player doesn't have to worry about which Hive Fleet things are technically painted as, and the same for me with Flesh Tearers counting as keyword Blood Angels (as my army was built with that being the case). Obviously any Codex chapter or Wolves etc. would remain different factions/keywords. We'll probably also end up house ruling rerolls if they end up being different the way many are saying, and just keep them as a simple miss after mods and natural 1.

As I say though, this is for friendly games.

Edited by Thoridon

I think first game of 8th will be as follows.

Sanguinary Priest

5 man tactical squad with heavy flamer, hand flamer, power sword

5 man tactical squad with melta gun, inferno pistol, power sword

5 man scout squad, 4 sniper rifles, 1 missile launcher, camo cloaks

Death Company Dread, talons, heavy flamer, melta gun, magna-grapple

Tactical TDA 1 chain fist, 1 heavy flamer

drop pod, storm bolter

storm raven T/L assault cannon, T/Lmulti-melta

regular dread with plasma cannon and heavy flamer

I think that's a good little force to learn the ropes with. not sure on points or power but can easily change.

As space marines go this is largely just a new issue for Fleah Tearers and Seth. DA/SW have no successor character rules, and DA couldn't for example build a custom ravenwing master for a successor in 7th or in 8th because reasons, but that's not really a change.

Seth unable to play with the other BA characters is a change though and an annoying one,

Seth unable to play with the other BA characters is a change though and an annoying one,

Well, I mean you can still, literally take them in the same army, even in the same force org chart. It's just they don't benefit from one anothers auras or <CHAPTER> buffs.

Hey all! Well, after a long hiatus, I have finally decided to return to the fold - just in time for 8th! Anyways, here is a brief update on what I started working on - finishing up my death company...and realizing I wanted a new way to paint my helmets and a WIP of my sanguinary priest. Cheers!

gallery_70131_10318_117252.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_243196.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_1042453.jpg

No idea when my stuff will arrive... Looking forward to it though.

Have too much custodes to paint to really bother with 8th immediately however...!

*Just* custodes? :wink: <3

Well I mean...

Also Sisters of Silence and a load of Ad Mech too...

I'm just taking a break from anything new BA until we get a codex and my Heresy Campaign is finished methinks!

Which is fine, I have more than enough to finish anyway :P

Spent the afternoon cleaning and assembling my Primaris marines...

2 Intercessor Squads built, sergeants got shoulder swaps, one random marine got a shoulder swap and one random marine got a head swap...

1 hellblaster squad built, sergeant got a shoulder swap.

2 lieutenants built, one got a shoulder swap

1 ancient built

1 inceptor squad partially built - need to paint the heads before i stick them completely together due to yellow helms (how awkward)

gravis captain is removed from sprue but I'm tired now haha.

I also secured a trade of the nurgle stuff for the primaris from a guy I know - so have all the above to build still...

plus another ancient, lieutenant, intercessor squad and hellblaster squad I bits ordered thinking I'd not be trading anything...

Lord knows how I'm going to make them look unique!

sergeants got shoulder swaps

I'm going to be doing shoulder swaps this weekend. Was it overly difficult to carve off the existing pads?

1 inceptor squad partially built - need to paint the heads before i stick them completely together due to yellow helms (how awkward)

Are you giving the Hellblasters a blue helm as well?

I picked up an Inceptor Squad.

Probably won't see any paint for a while as I'm waiting (and hoping) they get more options with a full kit but I do like me anything with a Jump pack!

A full kit having more options doesn't stop you from making and painting the mono-pose push fits though, right?

I picked up an Inceptor Squad.

Probably won't see any paint for a while as I'm waiting (and hoping) they get more options with a full kit but I do like me anything with a Jump pack!

A full kit having more options doesn't stop you from making and painting the mono-pose push fits though, right?

It doesn't, but if the options are cool I'm going to wait and see what I could convert! :D