Oh believe me, I am no stranger to the world of slow painters - by hand or otherwise :D

I'm actually doing these by hand as a kind of personal challenge. It's the Encarmine swords on my second SG squad. No part of them has been airbrushed - just for a change and to try out some new techniques.

Whether I do it this way again or revert to airbrush and masking tape will depend on the finished result - of which you guys will be the judges ;)

Yeah I am eager to jump into the Air brush world. The plasma effects it can produce are just jaw dropping.

Also, I'm planning on using color scheme close to neonmole's grim dark blood angels. Love the muted look they have. ^_^

WIP pics or it didn't happen Luther!

Ask and you shall receive!

Exhibit A is the sword on the left where I've just blocked out the dark blue and white. Exhibit B is the one on the right which I've blended using the mid-tone blue. Exhibit C is the piece of sprue in the background which I used to practice on :biggrin.:

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Sanguinary-Guard-WIP-05-768x768.jpg

Edited by LutherMax

Yeah I am eager to jump into the Air brush world. The plasma effects it can produce are just jaw dropping.

Also, I'm planning on using color scheme close to neonmole's grim dark blood angels. Love the muted look they have. :happy.:

I've upgraded to a far too expensive H&S infinity, and I've still not dared doing the classic plasma glow for fear of messing up the rest of the paintjob with an errant splat or heavy trigger finger!

It is a gorgeous tool to use though, so much easier to control (and strip down for cleaning) than a cheap one. I just don't understand how the pros avoid needing to run the nozzle through a sonic cleaner every 2 or 3 of colours, I always clog up so quickly despite rinsing though at each change.

I've got an H&S Infinity and a 105 Patriot. I swapped the 0.15 needle / nozzle on the H&S for a 0.2mm which helps with the clogging.

Here's some plasma glow I did with it:

http://www.braintyrefire.com/personal/w40k/Blood-Angels/Blood-Angels-Veteran-Tactical-Sergeant-02.jpg

Edited by LutherMax

Hey Luther! Those Sanguinary Guard look great! Mind sharing how you did the gold? and the weathering on the white? and the bases? :D

Thanks Brother Lemartes! I should have them all finished soon so will take some proper pics, but to answer your questions...

Gold:

1. Primed Vallejo German Red Brown (ok that was airbrushed but doesn't count!)

2. Basecoat Forge World Castellax Bronze (ok that was airbrushed too...)

3. Nuln Oil wash

4. Drybrush with Rub 'n' Buff Gold Leaf

5. Wash with Sepia ink mixed with Johnson's Klear

6. Highlights with thinned Vallejo Metal Medium

7. Exaggerate shading with Agrax Earthshade just in recesses

White:

1. Prime Grey

2. Prime White from above

3. Agrax wash

4. Touch up with Vallejo Model Colour Offwhite

5. Edge highlight with White

6. Scratches with Vallejo Model Colour Black Grey

The bases are resin from eBay!

Love the white helms on SG Luther...got me rethinking my scheme. And for chipping /weathering them, did you add the white highlight underneath? I was considerinf weathering my priest, but wasn't sure how. Also, the blades look fantastic...but if you don't mind me saying, I think your airbrushed ones look better.

Love the white helms on SG Luther...got me rethinking my scheme. And for chipping /weathering them, did you add the white highlight underneath? I was considerinf weathering my priest, but wasn't sure how. Also, the blades look fantastic...but if you don't mind me saying, I think your airbrushed ones look better.

Thanks keebler!

For the chipping on the white - well spotted, yes I did add a tiny white highlight just next to the dark grey scratches to give them some depth.

As for the blades, they're not finished yet - the blended one still needs edge highlighting and some power effect coming off the feed, but considering how long they're taking me I think I'll go back to airbrushing them next time!

WIP pics or it didn't happen Luther!

Ask and you shall receive!

Exhibit A is the sword on the left where I've just blocked out the dark blue and white. Exhibit B is the one on the right which I've blended using the mid-tone blue. Exhibit C is the piece of sprue in the background which I used to practice on :biggrin.:

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Sanguinary-Guard-WIP-05-768x768.jpg

:drool:  I am very much looking forward to seeing this finished unit.

I tried to stick a helmeted head on the priest but I couldnt get it to fit, ended using his boxed set. I found out that it's sculpted in a way so that it looks like he's really turning his head on the right, so in the end it was  the only head that would look natural to him, every other head would have his neck in a really unatural position. It's gonna be the first time I'm gonna paint a bare head, so I'm getting a bit anxious on that, plus I made a mess with the plastic glue in there, I hope with the paint I'll hide most of it. At least I didnt loose any detail, I only got an uneven surface in the inside of the neck. :/

:drool:  I am very much looking forward to seeing this finished unit.

Still got the jump pack thrusters and a few details to do, but not long now!

@ dread05 – he looks good, the wings are a nice addition!

Been playing around with an iOS app called 'Lens FX'. Would be even better on minis photographed in scenery or terrain but I had this one on my phone. Took about five minutes :biggrin.:

http://www.themightybrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/LensFX-Flamer-Sergeant-768x768.jpg

Playing tomorrow, likely opponents are mixed Imperial, Salamanders, Dark Angels and Dark Eldar.

Here is my list 2000 points (7CP):

Vanguard Detachment:

Commander Dante

Sanguinary Priest with JP

Sanguinary Ancient

4man Sanguinary Guard (3 axes, 1 sword, all Angelus cuz that's how they're modeled)

5man Sanguinary Guard (5 swords, all Angelus...)

Battalion Detachment:

Brother Corbulo

Captain with PS and Plasma Pistol

Tactical squad - 8man, Heavy Flamer, Serg (hand flamer and PS) ...Rhino

Scout squad - 8man

Scout squad - 10man, Sniper rifles and Camo Cloaks

Death Company Dreadnought - fists

StormRaven twin-AC and twin-MM

--------------------------------------------------------------

The dread will ride in the StormRaven and hopefully wreck some Landraiders... the rest I have no idea yet.

Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard

I'm having second thoughts, I think I glued the wings the wrong way. The upper part is attached to the jump pack, isntead of being vertical like in the sanguinary guards models. Given, the priest's model didnt have the proper holders for the wings, but still, my OCD is kicking in like crazy :/