I’m not sure where to post this, and I don’t think it deserves it’s own thread. I’m going to complain about blood angels, so skip if you don’t feel like reading that.

I’ve been getting more and more depressed with my blood angels since 8th came out. They don’t do anything I really like any more. I got them during 6th, because I liked going fast and deep striking with marines. I miss drop pods and flamer/melta tactical marines being useful (for me, anyways). Now I feel bad when I take troops, because i’m Just unimpressed with them all. Combat scouts are okay, but I really hate the idea of taking a bunch of those. I miss my deep striking flamers and meltas on assault squads being useful. I miss fast vehicles, especially the beast that was my fast vindicator. Outflanking baal predators used to be one of my favorite things, especially when they were fast attack, so I could blitzkrieg my army between drop pods (with Dreadnoughts!) and tanks and encircle my opponents. Smash captains are great and all, but more and more when I play, it seems like my army plays second fiddle to trying to jam an assassin captain/mephiston in where he needs to go to kill the big threat. I really love the lore and look of blood angels, but I just don’t find myself enjoying playing them any more. The 9” deep strikes are so annoying, especially because the prevalence of horde armies around where I play. I always end up having to put my dudes in front of the enemy’s entire army and charge into chaff, if I even make a charge. Most times, I make a single charge thanks to descent of angels, and everything else fails. The amount of times my combat units gets stuck in too, and my opponent just backs up and shoots it all to bits is so frustrating. I didn’t think I would say this a year or so ago, but I miss 6th and 7th edition so much. The rules are better, but the way I enjoyed blood angels is so much worse.

Let me preface this by saying something.

Change the way you play. I mean this in a sincere tone indecipherable on the internet. If you strictly play matched play, give open war a try. If you are looking for something different try narrative games with matched play points.

If you simply can not do that, then try unorthadox lists. With the price reductions in drop pods, double meltacide company vets are a thing again. So you can drop down 10 meltas on turn 2. Look at transports and utilize going 2nd.

Psyker heavy armies are still much better than Astsrtes, as are many xenos armies. But I've found drastically changing my play style and lists I built to give me a more enjoyable experience.

If you dont like primaris, have your gen 1 marines counts-as them for a while. If you like primaris, give them a bulkier place in your list building. A frater in the Adeptus Astartes thread makes an awesome point about redemptors being the "new" razorback. I absolutely love that thing. So much so, I usually bring 2 in my lists now. Before i wouldn't consider them, but man do they put out a ton of shots.

Want a mulcher? Take a look at the dakkapulsor. For +/-265ish points you have a tank that has over 50 shots at a majority strength 5 weapon load out that's -1 AP and the all important T8.

Invest in a campaign, house rule a stratagem such as night fighting for turn 1. 1-2 CP and follow the rules of night fighting for a previous edition.

Try 7th edition lists. The 10th company with scout bikers is a great counter to hordes. The Golden Host is cheaper now and gives you 30ish bodies to work with alongside your 10th company.

If the army continues to not give you pleasure play another army, or make them red marines and try out different book tactics.

The last advice I can give you is my theory of a three tiered army. Many of the guys that have been here a while know that's my big stick. I have a few pages of back and forth somewhere in this forum on the topic.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

house rule a stratagem such as night fighting for turn 1. 1-2 CP and follow the rules of night fighting for a previous edition

You don't even have to do that. In the rulebook there are battlezones and one of them is Night Fight.

But yeah try stuff out. I especially recommend the whole Cities of Death rules. It improves the game a lot imo.

I’m actually quite please with the direction of the new Malestrom missions in CA 2.0.

They are closer to my idea of being able to “build your own deck” of Tactical Objective cards (still ways to go, but you have some control over what you could draw now).

BA will struggle for a while to come, me thinks. GW has been schitzophrenic with how they want them to be, see-sawing between “Red Marines” that arguably should be folded into Codex: Space Marines and their whole own thing that shares a common stat line with other Power Armoured factions and little else.

Things like Venerable Dreads being BS/WS2+ and Furiosos not, the fact that Baal Preds cost 40pts more than Assbacks yet the ONLY difference is +1W and a mediocre ability to advance, DC suffering from horrendous LD and only having 6+++ while even BT can now hand out 5+++ like candy, etc... indicate that GW still does not quite “get” BA.

Hopefully the revelations about the HH IX Legion in the forthcoming FW Book 8: Malevolence will provide the positive ideas needed to properly inform 8th Ed BA.

In the mean time, I would suggest playing with the units you like. Screw winning, just find ways for yourself to enjoy games again. I found that occasionally doing something like “all Terminators” is just screwball to breathe some life back into things.

Finished this bad boy, this week-end :) 

"Gifted to the second company of the Knight of the Chalice during the relentless time of the Indomitus crusade, the Astraeus Celaeno has been the back bone of many frontal assault and a strong asset in the hand of Captain Artemis Beshop. 

Deployed from orbit and protected by her void shields, she opened the path to many deployments of reivers and inceptors, creating opportunity moving straight for the enemy; a temperament strangely reminiscent of the company's captain. 

Since her first induction during the 21st year of the crusade, Celaeno has been a paragon of war for nearly a century. It's last sighting has been in the Vigilus sector of Dontoria fighting the ruinous power of the death guard." 

*The font may be a bit distracting, but it was the only thing big enough to take picture of this kit.

fI4eFcG.jpg

3CUnrU9.jpg

More pictures on my plog :)

Anamnesis

@Anamnesis, I've been thinking about those object-source-lighting effects you've made on the Astraeus lamps. I remember now that that there is a rule that lighted object should not be brighter than the source of the light itself. I think you should paint the lamps so that they are visibly brighter than the plates that are being lighted by them. Add more white to the yellow.
Eyes should be drawn to the source of the light. 

Just food for thought :)

neon_example.jpg

@Anamnesis, I've been thinking about those object-source-lighting effects you've made on the Astraeus lamps. I remember now that that there is a rule that lighted object should not be brighter than the source of the light itself. I think you should paint the lamps so that they are visibly brighter than the plates that are being lighted by them. Add more white to the yellow.

Eyes should be drawn to the source of the light. 

Just food for thought :smile.:

neon_example.jpg

I'll keep that in mind, we'll see if I can touch it up sometimes. The osl is something a bit at odd with the rest ^^

Started painting my Repulsor today. So far I'm not enjoying it. So many layered armour plates which make it hard to decide where to put my spotcolour without overdoing it. Also I did an extremely messy job building it partly because the lighting wasn't that well and I rushed it a bit but also partly because the kit doesn't fit that well as I've heared from many other people already.

Let's hope I'll do it better with my second one that will eventually find its way into my collection unless GW surprises us with another vehicle for Primaris (which I still doubt).

Edited by sfPanzer

Finished the highlights on the kitbashed Techmarine I am working on, I hope to get it finished by weekend (not much left to do really, just shade/highlight the blacks, metallics, clothes and gems.  First time painting red with Vallejo colors (VGC Heavy Red basecoat, AP Strong Tone Wash pinwash, VMC Red layer, VMC Scarlet edge highlight) and it turned out much darker than I anticipated (which is fine as it is a Techmarine, fortunately) but for rank and file I will have to use lighter colors.

Edited by appiah5

Seeing as I'm going to be painting all year anyway I've decided to take part in the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge. Basically, you need to complete a minimum of one model by the end of the month and it doesn't matter the starting condition it's in.

For January, I've gone for finishing my Drop Pod and for the entirety of 2019 (optional), I've gone for finishing my Knight.

Anyone else up for this?

I'm looking forward to finish a lot of ba stuff this year. Not sure to put them into challenges but it will gib em a boost. Lots of primaris stuff and the ba leviathan is awaiting.

I'm using it as motivation to finish my incomplete stuff, with the only caveat that i'm only going to submit stuff for this event that I have a chance to finish by the end of the current month.

Given we have a historic ETL title defense this year, I'll not be putting paint onto anything new until then - I'll also be painting quite casually until then to avoid burnout ;)

Seeing as I'm going to be painting all year anyway I've decided to take part in the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge. Basically, you need to complete a minimum of one model by the end of the month and it doesn't matter the starting condition it's in.

For January, I've gone for finishing my Drop Pod and for the entirety of 2019 (optional), I've gone for finishing my Knight.

Anyone else up for this?

I'm game. :smile.: I'll be painting yellow primaris marines for ETL this year, I think, so I may as well take part in this :wink:

Edited by appiah5