What do you guys think of the Leviathan dreadnought? Despite the awesome FW model, the Stormcannons look pretty tasty. It’s just a lot of points (and money) in a single unit. A 2+/4++ T8 14 wound absolute unit, but still. :smile.:

The Leviathan is really strong, particularly the dual Stormcannon version. It weighs in at a shade over 300 points (comparable to a Repulsor) but it brings a lot for its points. As well as the durable stat line, it also has BS2+. It approaches Knight levels of durability but can benefit from Chapter character buffs. It also has a few key stratagems that really benefit it.

• Big Guns Never Tire: Ignoring the -1 to-Hit penalty for moving and shooting is big on a unit with this much short-ranged firepower. It allows you to set up your Leviathan out of LOS or range and then moving into firing position if you do not get the first turn.
  • Wisdom of the Ancients: What is better than hitting on a 2+? Rerolling those pesky 1s of course. :biggrin.: It also allows the Leviathan to buff nearby units to boot if your Captain is off elsewhere smashing stuff.
  • Duty Eternal: Makes your tough Dreadnought even tougher. Even with the nerf this stratagem received in the recent FAQ, it is still worth playing if your Dread is facing serious incoming fire.
Given how tough it is, taking a Techmarine in support is worth considering. A Leviathan is worth over 20 points per wound so even if the Techmarine only repairs him once, he will often make his points back.

Is the claw worth it with the Stormcannon? I guess he shouldn’t be in close combat with that kind of firepower. :biggrin.:

The siege drill is also pretty cool, flat 4 damage I like.

The drill is objectively better but rule of cool. It'll be magnetised so I can swap round anyway. I dont think any of the options are outright bad, maybe full melee as the ranged weapons are so good. 

Given how tough it is, taking a Techmarine in support is worth considering. A Leviathan is worth over 20 points per wound so even if the Techmarine only repairs him once, he will often make his points back.

Solid analysis and point/wound is not something I often factor into list building. Makes sense to keep the Levi on his feet. 

Edited by Xenith

What do you guys think of the Leviathan dreadnought? Despite the awesome FW model, the Stormcannons look pretty tasty. It’s just a lot of points (and money) in a single unit. A 2+/4++ T8 14 wound absolute unit, but still. :smile.:

The Leviathan is really strong, particularly the dual Stormcannon version. It weighs in at a shade over 300 points (comparable to a Repulsor) but it brings a lot for its points. As well as the durable stat line, it also has BS2+. It approaches Knight levels of durability but can benefit from Chapter character buffs. It also has a few key stratagems that really benefit it.
  • Big Guns Never Tire: Ignoring the -1 to-Hit penalty for moving and shooting is big on a unit with this much short-ranged firepower. It allows you to set up your Leviathan out of LOS or range and then moving into firing position if you do not get the first turn.
  • Wisdom of the Ancients: What is better than hitting on a 2+? Rerolling those pesky 1s of course. :biggrin.: It also allows the Leviathan to buff nearby units to boot if your Captain is off elsewhere smashing stuff.
  • Duty Eternal: Makes your tough Dreadnought even tougher. Even with the nerf this stratagem received in the recent FAQ, it is still worth playing if your Dread is facing serious incoming fire.

Good points, Karhedron! Sounds like a Tech Marine is still a valid addition.

I was thinking that despite its chunkiness, the Leviathan needs some target saturation help. What other armour pieces would you field with it?

I was thinking that despite its chunkiness, the Leviathan needs some target saturation help. What other armour pieces would you field with it?

I thoroughly agree, everything counts in large amounts! :biggrin.:

I would look to build around other T8 units and look at things that cover the Leviathan's blind spots. If you are not averse to Primaris then either of the Repulsor variants has mileage. The Leviathan with Stormcannons excels at shredding medium targets, elite infantry and and the like. A Repulsor executioner will provide some dedicated anti-tank firepower. Conversely a regular Repulsor will clear hordes very effectively. If you are more strapped for points then a Redemptor Dreadnought is not a bad choice.

Oddball options that can work well are the Hunter/Stalker which bring a lot of T8 wounds for very few points. Whilst not powerful offensively, they can plink away all game and your opponent will either ignore them in favour of the Dread or waste firepower on them allowing the Dread to live longer.

I'm personally considering a list with a Leviathan and two Impulsors w/Intercessors with a TH. The Impulsors are slightly less durable at T7 so they'll be easier to kill, hopefully enticing somebody to shoot at them as they're more likely to give up the kill. The Impulsors can also screen the Leviathan, leveraging their -2 to charges rule. Impulsors also seem to bring decent utility on their own, soaking overwatch for our chargers, etc.

I'll let y'all decide what I do for Lockdown Painting, since I've resolved to pass y'all my pearl. Do I do Makari in an interesting glaze-over-white technique, do I do a Wolves budget Smash Captain or do I do a Meganob with Kombi-Rokkit and Power Klaw?

My vote is for Makari. The glazing over white technique sounds intriguing.

Edited by Hintzy

I thoroughly agree, everything counts in large amounts! :DI would look to build around other T8 units and look at things that cover the Leviathan's blind spots. If you are not averse to Primaris then either of the Repulsor variants has mileage. The Leviathan with Stormcannons excels at shredding medium targets, elite infantry and and the like. A Repulsor executioner will provide some dedicated anti-tank firepower. Conversely a regular Repulsor will clear hordes very effectively. If you are more strapped for points then a Redemptor Dreadnought is not a bad choice.Oddball options that can work well are the Hunter/Stalker which bring a lot of T8 wounds for very few points. Whilst not powerful offensively, they can plink away all game and your opponent will either ignore them in favour of the Dread or waste firepower on them allowing the Dread to live longer.

Thanks again!

I’m lacking other T8 armoured vehicles though, so I guess my best bet at the moment would be to saturate with a SR, or a predator and some razorbacks, maybe a whirlwind.

I could take a cheap Devastator squad and then have 2 RB’s as a “retinue” for the dread. :)

I thoroughly agree, everything counts in large amounts! :DI would look to build around other T8 units and look at things that cover the Leviathan's blind spots. If you are not averse to Primaris then either of the Repulsor variants has mileage. The Leviathan with Stormcannons excels at shredding medium targets, elite infantry and and the like. A Repulsor executioner will provide some dedicated anti-tank firepower. Conversely a regular Repulsor will clear hordes very effectively. If you are more strapped for points then a Redemptor Dreadnought is not a bad choice.Oddball options that can work well are the Hunter/Stalker which bring a lot of T8 wounds for very few points. Whilst not powerful offensively, they can plink away all game and your opponent will either ignore them in favour of the Dread or waste firepower on them allowing the Dread to live longer.

Thanks again!

I’m lacking other T8 armoured vehicles though, so I guess my best bet at the moment would be to saturate with a SR, or a predator and some razorbacks, maybe a whirlwind.

I could take a cheap Devastator squad and then have 2 RB’s as a “retinue” for the dread. :smile.:

I've had good experiences with the Redemptor. Redemptors are dakka and tough, good for distracting your enemy from an expensive Forge World piece, and a good bit bigger than the Leviathan on the table, too.

I am tempted by the idea of a Deredeo with Atomantic Pavise and a pair of Redemptors as bodyguards. The whole lot gets a 5++ and the autocannons on the Deredeo are really tasty.

The Deredeo is not as tough as the Leviathan but sharing the 5++ around can be handy (although I suspect in practice the Deredeo would be targeted and the Redemptors ignored until the shields went down).

I recently acquired FW Rhino doors (the ones with the winged chalice) and they are 0,5mm wider and 1,5mm taller than the Stormraven's side doors.
I do not have 100% certainty that I have actual FW doors though as they are a second-hand buy and without original packing or papers.

Do Forgeworld Rhino/Repulsor doors with BA iconography fit on a Stormraven? They look like they should, but I remember hearing bad things about them.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Blood-Angels-Rhino-Doors-and-Front-Plate-2017

The doors on the Stormraven are Rhino sized. Sometimes they may need a little persuasion to fit.

I've finally got the 6th squad

In other news, I've got the 6th squad to tabletop ready, aside from basing which I'll do soon. That leaves just 5 assault and 6 devastator marines to finish the company (then maybe a command squad).

gallery_58096_15988_79372.jpg

I recently acquired FW Rhino doors (the ones with the winged chalice) and they are 0,5mm wider and 1,5mm taller than the Stormraven's side doors.
I do not have 100% certainty that I have actual FW doors though as they are a second-hand buy and without original packing or papers.

No chance they're the Land Raider doors, which are slightly bigger and had the same icons?

Invictors...I want to love them. But they just don’t do enough for me. I ran 2 and in no game did they accomplish much.

I think I’m going to scrap the invictors for a repulsor executioner - cus I was missing that backfield support. Maybe some suppressors - anyone care to share their experience?

I haven't tried much Phobos stuff yet but I can agree that some heavy support seems necessary. Our melee units can't be everywhere at once and there is definitely value in being able to plink wounds off a threat from the other side of the battlefield.

How were you running the Invictors? It can be tempting to go all-out offensive with Incendium cannons but then you can run into trouble if they go second. The autocannon variant can be deployed aggressively if you are going first or held back a bit if you are going second in order to provide some fire support in the midfield or snipe at units your opponent thought out of LOS.

I am looking forwards to trying some Eliminators. Maybe they are the heavy support you are looking for?

Edited by Karhedron

I'm actually quite a friend of the old-fashioned Predator as long-ranged support. 177 points will set you up with 2 lascannons and the infamous Predator autocannon. While I think it's a lot of points in one unit, it has proven its value to me over and over again.

Just need to run some diversion tanks beside it, obviously... :)

For me both Eliminators and Suppressors were solid. Eliminators (snipers) as a general mid-field annoyance as they are tanky and even one and out of LoS can still shoot. Suppressors in the backfield. They tend to get focused down but then they are cheap and each shot they intercept is not directed at my JP melee death units. I like to give them the Ancient SoS banner aura for the first turn if possible. They are also often the target for a Recitation of Focus, especially if they were starting ouside LoS.

Neither is a proper AT unit but as a deterrent and some far-reaching option they are really solid and cheap. Still need to try-out las-fusil Eliminators

Invictors...I want to love them. But they just don’t do enough for me. I ran 2 and in no game did they accomplish much.

I think I’m going to scrap the invictors for a repulsor executioner - cus I was missing that backfield support. Maybe some suppressors - anyone care to share their experience?

I haven't tried much Phobos stuff yet but I can agree that some heavy support seems necessary. Our melee units can't be everywhere at once and there is definitely value in being able to plink wounds off a threat from the other side of the battlefield.

How were you running the Invictors? It can be tempting to go all-out offensive with Incendium cannons but then you can run into trouble if they go second. The autocannon variant can be deployed aggressively if you are going first or held back a bit if you are going second in order to provide some fire support in the midfield or snipe at units your opponent thought out of LOS.

I am looking forwards to trying some Eliminators. Maybe they are the heavy support you are looking for?

So I ran them differently in each game I played - I used them both all out aggressively and more conservatively. They never got blasted off the board from poor positioning. They just never did enough damage or really shaped the battlefield enough.

Incursors are sooooooo good for us. 

Eliminators with bolt snipers are also far more effective than they seem on paper: their ability to pump out that sweet spot of S5 AP-2/3 plus MW on characters or priority models is just too damn good. Funnily enough I got into them for the infiltrating lascannon-lites, but find the las-fusils just aren't reliable at all, while the bolt sniper rifles only continue to impress. However, be nice to your friends and don't bring 3 squads (I use 3 squads for "mean" lists). 

Invictors are a model that despite their crunch abilities, I simply cannot live with myself for using them due to their looks. 

Suppressors should be amazing in theory, but even in my games where (via proxies with a friend) I ran 3x squads of them, they never quite lived up to what they should do. Especially since you want to use them to turn off overwatch on units your Incursors/DC/SG/VV/Scouts are charging, yet their S7 guns really want to be plinking away other targets. More data needed.