I'm not a big fan of armypainter. Vallejo game colour and scale75 are great though. Ultimately brand loyalty is rather pointless and one should try different brands for different colours and techniques. Edited by Panzer

Built a full squad of Reivers, probably the oldest box I had, didn’t want to build them because I never saw me using them but boredom forced me into it lol

The only boxes worse than these are the two squads of inceptors and two squads of eliminators which I’ve been told are extremely fiddly and two invictor war suits...... I actually don’t want to build any of them

Edited by redshadow

I rate them better than eliminators but worse than suppressors, aggressors cost a little bit more but in turn do a lot more on the table, Reivers have to be the worst primaris unit even the troops are better

They should have the infiltrate ability to set up 9” away.

Edited by redshadow

The slots really aren't the problem. It's the points. 90-180 points gives you so many other good things.

I feel like a couple small squads with grav chutes could be worthwhile in support of other tougher deepstrike units, considering they have anti-overwatch grenades. That's always a useful tool against gunline armies that can vaporise us with sheer weight of dice on overwatch.

I just really liked their models and desperately want them to be good, but then that's why I ended up doing these :biggrin.: Got them finished up today. Turns out the grey instead of straight black was a very good strategy, so cheers to those of you who helped.

Death Company

I'll probably get the Chaplain done to accompany them (I don't believe in DC without a chaplain, fight me) some time this week, then I'll probably dig up my old blog thread and make a big update. I need to take another couple full army photos, the army is probably twice as big now as it was when I started that thread.

Edited by Vermintide

The slots really aren't the problem. It's the points. 90-180 points gives you so many other good things.

I feel like a couple small squads with grav chutes could be worthwhile in support of other tougher deepstrike units, considering they have anti-overwatch grenades. That's always a useful tool against gunline armies that can vaporise us with sheer weight of dice on overwatch.

I just really liked their models and desperately want them to be good, but then that's why I ended up doing these :biggrin.: Got them finished up today. Turns out the grey instead of straight black was a very good strategy, so cheers to those of you who helped.

I'll probably get the Chaplain done to accompany them (I don't believe in DC without a chaplain, fight me) some time this week, then I'll probably dig up my old blog thread and make a big update. I need to take another couple full army photos, the army is probably twice as big now as it was when I started that thread.

I take them all the time and no they really aren't. You are better off just getting more of the unit you actually want to have instead. :D

Overwatch is rarely an issue and the grenades are only 6" so you can't drop them the turn you drop the unit anyway.

Pretty much the only thing they can do is bringing lots of power armoured wounds late in the game behind the enemy lines to keep him busy or capture objectives or such. For everything else you are better off with other units. If you take Reivers, take them because you think they are cool, not to write a particularly strong list.

I take them all the time and no they really aren't. You are better off just getting more of the unit you actually want to have instead. :biggrin.:

Overwatch is rarely an issue and the grenades are only 6" so you can't drop them the turn you drop the unit anyway.

Pretty much the only thing they can do is bringing lots of power armoured wounds late in the game behind the enemy lines to keep him busy or capture objectives or such. For everything else you are better off with other units. If you take Reivers, take them because you think they are cool, not to write a particularly strong list.

Of course, you're right, that didn't even occur to me. I really have to wonder what the point of giving them that equipment is at all then... Overwatch is rarely an issue, sure, until you come up against a Tau player, or an UM player using that cheesy Tau-marine stratagem. Or flamers.

Could bring Suppressors, I guess, except they're the ugliest model of the whole Primaris range, so... Straight up nope :wink:

It works if you are charging on a later turn, or setting up a different unit charging if your rievers have had a chance to move into position. Probably best used along their grapple kit to ignore terrain mods...

GW simply underestimated the damage output of armies in 40k I'd say. If armies would deal only half as much damage it would be much more viable for a unit to drop in one turn and then charge in another. The way it is though, units that drop and then either don't burst something via shooting or get off a charge aren't taken seriously.

In light of the fact that my supplies of Mephiston Red are running critically low, and what I have left needs to be saved for corrections and layers on my already sprayed Leviathan and Contemptor Dreads, I decided this accursed lockdown would be an ideal opportunity to try out some contrast on my Blood Angels! Hence, these Incursors. Apologies for massive post! The colour is darker than I would normally go for, but I'm not massively fussed about that and apart from that I'm quite pleased with these.

gallery_66172_16279_1256219.jpeg

gallery_66172_16279_738887.jpeg

gallery_66172_16279_1191951.jpeg

gallery_66172_16279_446459.jpeg

gallery_66172_16279_217735.jpeg

In light of the fact that my supplies of Mephiston Red are running critically low, and what I have left needs to be saved for corrections and layers on my already sprayed Leviathan and Contemptor Dreads, I decided this accursed lockdown would be an ideal opportunity to try out some contrast on my Blood Angels! Hence, these Incursors. Apologies for massive post! The colour is darker than I would normally go for, but I'm not massively fussed about that and apart from that I'm quite pleased with these.

gallery_66172_16279_217735.jpeg

Nice to see you tessting this out - can I ask what undercoat and contrast paint you used? Seems like Blood Angels Red over black maybe? When I used BAR over Wraithbone, they came out almost orange, while you have a deep scab red colour.

Yeah it looks like BA Red over black which is a fairly counter intuitive way of using Contrast paint and why I think the eventual result is fairly lacklustre, it looks more like a coat of Mechrite Red with none of the shading benefits associated with Contrast.  I believe it would have worked a lot better on a neutral gray or even white basecoat, or a white zenithal highlight over black primer first in the case these were originally primed black for mephiston red or soemthing.

With this lighting, it's difficult to see if there are any shades. 

Still it's clear that it's a very neat and precise paintjob. 

I'm wondering about that zenithal highlight you have mentioned, appiah. What about zenithal with yellow? BAR over black would give that almost brown shade while over yellow would tint bright orange perhaps?

I’m fairly certain that painting contrast over black would result in an almost black and wouldn’t show that kind of colour T-dog has achieved. With the lighting, it could be anyone’s guess really - maybe a gun metal colour? Or a grey-ish basecoat.

Nonetheless, they are nearly painted and look quite good! A couple of highlights and some shades would help to step them up a notch. And drilled barrels :P

Not much hobbying has been done. Haven't been on for more than spurts in the last few days. Finishing out the last big hurtle of Apothecary School. I may have to paint the GBBO Apothecary model for the ETL this year. Edited by Dont-Be-Haten