4 hours ago, Paternus said:

Good to be back but is it just me that is only seeing image links and not images?

In what? Signatures/posts/etc? Desktop/mobile/browser/etc?

Legacy-site Images are busted, but are being worked on in the background, at some point within 2-3 weeks the automated process should correct everything. If you don't want to wait, going into your Albums and replacing the images will work correctly for both legacy posts and Signature images.

There's a story behind that.

Back in 6th edition, every army had access to Malefic Daemonlogy and could summon Daemons (infantry, Herald, cavalry, Greater Daemon), but if you weren't Chaos aligned, you suffered Perils on pretty much half of you roles. Well, there was a niche for BAs with the Librarian Dreadnought as it didn't suffer wounds and got around the Perils issue - so you'd have a Librarian Dreadnought popping Daemons all game. It wasn't that gamey, but it was fun to try occasionally.

Raging Heroes were doing their Kickstarter and I was getting some Dark Elves anyway, so I got a couple of proxy Daemonettes to try this - they arrived at the start of 8th edition :facepalm: Fast forward to this year and I needed a contrast to painting BAs and blam, I'm working on purples, skin, and ethereal techniques :)

That's fine then! 
Well-practiced purples are perfectly suitable as a secondary color complementing the glorious red of Blood Angels battle-plates :yes:
And where better to practice our skills than on the crucible of war against Chaos?

<Well spotted though, appiah :biggrin: >

Edited by Majkhel

Haven't delved into the new rules yet, but I adored the previous version for the same reason I adore Necromunda - I like the complex rules :teehee:

Fwiw I'm enjoying 9th because of how I approach the game - and that's basically my themed/quirky lists and working out how to master and improve them.

1 hour ago, Jolemai said:

Haven't delved into the new rules yet, but I adored the previous version for the same reason I adore Necromunda - I like the complex rules :teehee:

Fwiw I'm enjoying 9th because of how I approach the game - and that's basically my themed/quirky lists and working out how to master and improve them.

9th is so saturated. I tried my first game in over a year a couple weeks ago and It just felt bad. I don't like the dumbed down rules, I miss initiative steps and WS and BS meaning something.

I agree the more advanced rules really feels like warhammer 40k in a 30k setting. I didn't realize how much I actually missed AV and WS vs WS until 2.0 dropped and it made me really want to start playing the game again.

I can't explain it but even after playing so many games in 8th and my disinterested in 9th I really wish we went back to older rules with the newer better models.

9 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Welp. I've been really absorbed with 30k lately. It's becoming apparent that I like and appreciate it more and more than 9th edition.

Anyone else feeling that way? 

I haven't looked at the HH rules too closely but I lost interest in 40K during 7th and only came back during 8th so the ruleset does not immediately appeal to me. Also I find marine-on-marine action less appealing. I like the diversity of races in 40K. 

Having said that, my son is desperate to get the big starter box so I may end up trying the rules out if I can do it without splurging too much on new minis. Although I am tempted by a squad of Beakies for nostalgia's sake, I started with 3 RTB01 tactical squads back in the day. :biggrin:

Edited by Karhedron

If I may, dismissing it as simply Marine on Marine isn't accurate, especially if your basis for it is current 40k. Yes 30k has mostly Marine forces but the game can be played in so many different ways that it doesn't end up being that way - even if you play BA vs BA it'll be different due to composition and RoWs. The game is arguably more balanced too...

9 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

9th is so saturated. I tried my first game in over a year a couple weeks ago and It just felt bad. I don't like the dumbed down rules, I miss initiative steps and WS and BS meaning something.

I agree the more advanced rules really feels like warhammer 40k in a 30k setting. I didn't realize how much I actually missed AV and WS vs WS until 2.0 dropped and it made me really want to start playing the game again.

I can't explain it but even after playing so many games in 8th and my disinterested in 9th I really wish we went back to older rules with the newer better models.

9th is a continuation of 8th, so have your feelings towards 8th carried over into 9th? It took me a long time to get over the 2nd -> 3rd change and to understand why it became necessary. Current 40k isn't perfect, but it's what I do. To me, 30k is secondary but I get to use all the things I like from previous editions.

It doesn't do to dwell on the past either. You have the stuff to make 40k work for you, so try it a few more times (and against decent people!) before you give up on it. It's different, but can be enjoyed - and 30k is still there for those who want it too.

34 minutes ago, Jolemai said:

If I may, dismissing it as simply Marine on Marine isn't accurate, especially if your basis for it is current 40k. Yes 30k has mostly Marine forces but the game can be played in so many different ways that it doesn't end up being that way - even if you play BA vs BA it'll be different due to composition and RoWs. The game is arguably more balanced too...

9th is a continuation of 8th, so have your feelings towards 8th carried over into 9th? It took me a long time to get over the 2nd -> 3rd change and to understand why it became necessary. Current 40k isn't perfect, but it's what I do. To me, 30k is secondary but I get to use all the things I like from previous editions.

It doesn't do to dwell on the past either. You have the stuff to make 40k work for you, so try it a few more times (and against decent people!) before you give up on it. It's different, but can be enjoyed - and 30k is still there for those who want it too.

I played a lot in 8th and I really enjoyed it over 40k 7th edition. 40k 7th edition was just toxic. There were GMC and flying circuses everywhere. Even going to local tournaments felt bad because of how outrageous the power gaming was. D weapons and GMC have no place in regular 40k, along with the criminally unbalanced formations. Horus Heresy has taken the best parts of the older editions and some of the good parts of the new edition and made something with real merit to me.

I know the game won't stay balanced and there are still a lot of armies that need to be fluffed out, but it doesn't have almost 700 stratagems and constant changes to the point I don't even know where 40k wants to go right now. It's hard to get open play, narrative, or extended campaign games in the locals, because everyone is so hung up on matched play rules and points values. I've been trying to break that stigma for a while and it gets difficult to get through to some people.

I think HH has really filled that niche as a lot of people at locals view it as a more balanced and polished set of armies due to the current ability for everyone to field their older models/mars pattern chasis as well as everyone having the same access to the same models and units except for a couple of legion specifics.

I'm still not personally over impressed with how blood angels ended up in 30k, in either 1st or 2nd edition of HH. For me that alone was the nail in the coffin on my trying it, I also am not overly fond of the beakies, I like some details, I like their swords, but overall, I still prefer the 40k primaris proportions and aesthetic. That said, I don't begrudge others enjoying it and look forward to seeing some awesome projects appear on here from my fellow brothers of the blood!

From a pure game perspective, I do think some of the things in 30k look overall to be improvements on both HH1.0 and on current 40k, so who knows, maybe 40k 10th ed will see some of those positives carry over?

On a different note, today in the hobby time:

• Technically nothing today, I've been working, and used my lunch to work on the RPG I've been writing for a little over 2 years.
  • BUT for fathers day I got the phobos strike team, so have been slowly putting those together over the past week, just kinda taking my time with them as I don't feel any particular rush. I do like the character each marine gets with the upgrade sprue, just wish there had been a veteran intercessor sprue instead still.
  • I also got the Primaris Champion, which a friend picked up at the HH open day last month and finally delivered to me last weekend. He's now built and uses the shoulder and head from one of my (3) zephon kits. I plan to use the zephon swords to replace my non GW swords on a couple of captains so there's no issue using them in "major" tournaments.
  • I also had my home office/gaming room renovated and its a really nice space to work in now.
  • 286855005_10160662644543395_472196091542

BH I understand that sentiment very well. Primaris are beautiful to me. The Corvus pattern is my favorite mark other than the new Mark X and Gravis variants.

I think having a set number of reactions 3-4 is very balanced and they aren't game breaking, though they can swing momentum if executed correctly. I see 40k trying to reel in Stratagems and CP uses, but when you have like 50 stratagems per army it goes into that realm of rules bloat. I know it's nothing new that we've seen, it's just something that irks me. And having to pay for warlord traits & relics with CP now just hasn't sat well with me.

Gone are the days we took simple war gear options and called it a day. Granted 2+ armor saves don't mean anything in 40k anyway.

I've started down a rabbit hole and I'm about to get on a soap box so I'm just gonna stop at that haha.

i do much prefer the AP system of 40k to the old one of 3rd-7th/hh.
I also actually like the solution of stuff like AoC for marines to represent that the statistical dice roll chance to not die is the same for them but the benefit is they ignore a level of AP.

in an ideal world I'd still prefer to see 40k move away from tired old d6s though haha

Prep work for the 5 vanguard vets & the 5 assault marines i'm turning into Vanguard vets the joys of older boxes having so many wonderful spares 
I have a bunch of cool custom bits as well to make them extra spicy 
Wish me luck it'll be my first project back into the Hobby in nearly 2 decades 

So, the chaos codex apparently has the Imperium Nihilus in utter disarray with chaos having large footholds there, having many small "kingdoms". Whats peoples thoughts on this and Dante's role? The implication is he is doing a pretty terrible job, albeit, it was a tall order for him in the first place.