I'm not sure if flamey is the way to go with these guys.

They will come on a flank on t2 in a rhino I should imagine. I could tank hunter them and go melta guns or missiles. Then tool up with melta bombs to finish targets off.

Looking at battlescribe, vets can't take combi weapons, just the special weapons and meltabombs. I haven't thd book with me, that's correct right?

I'm not sure if flamey is the way to go with these guys.

They will come on a flank on t2 in a rhino I should imagine. I could tank hunter them and go melta guns or missiles. Then tool up with melta bombs to finish targets off.

Looking at battlescribe, vets can't take combi weapons, just the special weapons and meltabombs. I haven't thd book with me, that's correct right?

Pretty much; only unit that can take massed Combis are Seekers.

Caustic, what do you arm your Maru skara veterans with? I'm curious as I have a couple of bags of mk5s to put together and most weapons.

Just keep them shooty Killy? Flanking vets with sniper rule, 2x heavy bolters, x4 combi plasmas

I'm feeling they should be able to hit harder infantry targets, as my vindi, deredeo, jetbikes and other things should be able to deal with armour ok.

If you want to run Maru Skara Veterans, the most important question you have to ask yourself is, "What are they doing when they come in that another unit in my army can't do better?" The Veteran Skills special rule is pretty useful for making an otherwise bland unit of +1 A legionnaires more interesting, and by using them in Maru Skara you are effectively giving them Outflank for free plus one another rule.

That leaves Fearless, Tank Hunters, and Sniper. I don't think Fearless Vets are anything special, and I can say that from playing Thousand Sons for a few years and learning the strengths and weaknesses of the rule. It's nice to not have to worry about morale, but if the squad isn't going to be a legitimate threat then they're a waste of points anyway.

I'd go for either Sniper Vets with two Plasmaguns in a Rhino or Tank Hunters Vets with Meltaguns and Meltabombs in a Rhino. The Rhino makes sense here because it gives them an additional 6" movement on the turn they arrive potentially making a real difference in terms of Rapid Fire and Melta. Of these two builds I feel the second one is better because 30K is flooded with powerful armour and they become a threat that cannot be ignored. If your lucky, you might even get to shoot at AV10 back armour with your Tank Hunter bolters.

That would look something like this:

Veteran Tactical Squad (x10)

+ Sergeant w Combi-Melta, Power Spear

+ Meltagun (x2)

+ Meltabombs

+ Tank Hunters USR

+ Rhino w Combi-Melta, Dozer Blade

I love that rhino combo, I always take it! Amount of times my combi melta has finished something off!

Il magnetise anyway I think, and depending on my build, fit them in, it's handy t2 having them come on and destroy things like plas preds that lurk at the back or annoying thudd guns that need neutralising.

Thing it's wortg splashing a few power weapons in there and making them all rounders in case they get caught out?

All long as you keep the power weapons at the rear of the squad.

You'd be supprised how often people forget to do that.

Guilty as charged! Especially in my jump packs. I should mark their heads/backs so I remember tbh. I will do on the next legion Edited by Theredknight

OMG Lord Commander Eidolon model:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Blogs/LAR5FG07_1DFG150FFN66C.jpg

Does anyone else on the board know about this, or am I the only one to just find out today that Forgeworld is releasing this soon?

I bought 10 phoenix guard, and converted them to be normal teminators as guard rules are pants, so I had 10 spare spears, 5 went onto my palatine blades, and the other 5 have been magnetised for my characters.

As we are forced to challenge in every round of combat, we generally are forced to spend 30 / 40pts to upgrade them, we don't get any benefit from it, but if we lose a leadership value. It's not clear, but if you have a sgt and a champ Nd both die, we will be ldr 6. (Additional loses due to death of character)

Long and short, I put artificer armour and phoenix spear on my characters as base.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/16FB809D-35BF-458D-BF4F-A2BE228A0F2E.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/DC780DF7-F53F-4F56-B323-EFB3C7E1CBD1.jpg

I know its a tactic thread but here are how I converted them (old pics, im currently in the process of converting to 32mm)

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/Mobile%20Uploads/2C232D6D-1516-44B2-9ADC-DF83647F6E77.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/Mobile%20Uploads/F2EF3F2C-1CDF-4614-9087-05686969F5B1.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/Mobile%20Uploads/AB6F8335-DA4A-4DAF-B20B-BCA86C1FBFF7.jpg

These are the first units of my weathering, I was going for istvaan 3, protracted war on the surface look, so fairly weathered down, with 32mm scenic bases on them. Currently im getting through my tanks as well!

Enough about modelling, really with your characters you want to be taking a boarding shield, if you have another unit assault yours then, they do not gain their charge bonuses, excellent vs world eaters!

Edited by Theredknight

So, I really liked caustics veteran flanker unit, I think anti tank could be good as I have s fair chunk of anti infantry in their at the moment also.

And as he says, if I get a load of bolters off on a rear arnour 10 it'd be well played.

I like that I can pimp in my rhino and meltagun out of the top as well as combi melta of needed.

I suppose a real anti tank unit, I could put them in a mm Achilles as well for extra outflanking goodness.

Edited by Theredknight

I have an interesting topic to discuss - using your 30K Emperor's Children to play in 40K. Unfortunately the two games are designed with entirely different approaches, with 30K overcharging for small squads which normalize in cost as you add additional models. This can be viewed as a weakness in the 40K environment, since a Space Marine Legion functions very much like an Eldar army without the statistical weaknesses built in to reduce their cost/encourage finesse. Of course, this intended style of play is in both cases hindered by the addition of certain power units that perform so well they push out other units one might expect to see.

These 'power' units (Wraithknights, Scatterbikes, Deredeos, Scorpius Whirlwinds for example, and of course Quad Mortars and Laser Vindicators) are created for one purpose - to sell new models. This trend is obvious when you see GW doing it with almost every new release - Eldar had Scatterbikes, Space Marines had the Skyhammer (which coincidentally featured 2 new Assault Squads and 2 new Devastator squads). When compounded with the new and powerful formations that are being released with 40K codexes, this creates obstacles to playing a fair game with your 30K collection unless you've done some serious cherrypicking of the best options.

Getting to the point, how would I play a 30K Emperor's Children army against an unknown 40K opponent?

First off I would hesitate to play any game 1500 pts or lower, because I don't have enough room to both cover my bases and add some flavour to my army. I think 2000pts is a fair amount, so I'd start with that. I would avoid taking Legion Assault Squads as Troops, given that they are much less effective in a 40K setting (not to mention overpriced). I'd want to take advantage of the high level of specialization Legion armies can achieve to maximize the synergy of my list. In the case of EC I'd use either:

Pride of the Legion Rite of War, Eidolon with Phoenix Terminators in a Spartan, rest are Veterans in Rhinos. Palatines in a Dreadclaw, plus other fast elements like Plasma Outriders, Missile Javelins, and Sicarians. Possibly a Primaris Lightning or Culverins proxied as Kakophoni.

Maru Skara Rite of War, foot Tacticals with Apothecaries, Jetbike Champion with Artifacts, Eidolon with Palatine Blades in a Dreadclaw, Plasma Outriders, Melta Vets in Rhino, Missile Javelins, maybe a Sicarian or Primaris Lightning. Volkite Culverins proxied as Kakophoni if I have the space.

I'd avoid taking Fulgrim unless I had 2250 pts or greater because he functions best when you can afford a good Deathstar for him. He does unlock some very mean tricks with Warlord Traits though (Infiltrate, Night Fighting, etc) so the games in this bracket would certainly be interesting.

Interesting thought, I had a game last week with a 3k list the only things I changed was to drop the las vindi, and swap out for maxed out Tac and assault squads and a regular whirly.

The effect was basically that he couldnt bring enough guns to take down the squad sizes, even with a malcador battle and a malcador infernus.

They are very vulnerable for the post of super heavy, so personally I wouldn't take it, unless I shielded it with a building and armour.

It was a kreig list though, so he really struggled with anti armour.

I took the open blade Maru skara, which is pretty useless generally for what you pay for it, especially looking at newer legion traits, but that's a different topic!!

if it was the same rule all the way through the game, it would make it a little more viable.

Edited by Theredknight

Hey guys,

Simple rules question here - is it possible to take more than five Palatine Blades in a squad? I can't seem to find a reference to that particular issue in either errata.

You're probably going off HH1? Red book lists up to 5 additional. 

On that note, the Emperor's Children unique units don't seem to be particularly well liked, generally speaking. Has anyone at the Bolter & Chainsword had any success running Kakophoni or Phoenix Guard? Preferred builds for Palatine Blades would be much appreciated as well, although they don't seem to have quite as bad a rap as the other two units. :tongue.:

Especially the Kakophoni are awesome models and there's potential to inflict some serious pain, but you're going to be relying pretty heavily on dice rolls to do it. I suppose a Master of Signal in the squad would be useful (and relatively cheap) for BS5, which should help somewhat. Has anyone found a way to turn the odds in their favour?

Edited by ChaosReigns