Hmm, worth looking into. I'll be thinking about it tonight when I sleep :D Nah, but I'll dive into that matter once I am done with the command squad of the Scions. 

I couldn't hold my self, so I actually assembled the Imperial knight... So I guess I'll have to paint him next. 

Painting the darker areas warplock bronze on your knight might give you a desired color closer to black for a metallic. Especially with a wash of nuln oil on it. Also, painting your knight in the colors of your main army really makes it feel at home with the rest of your troops. I will never regret matching my Knight to my Cadians.

- Assemble 5 models/one vehicle

- DO NOT ASSEMBLE MORE!

- Paint them, to get excited to assemble more...

I'd like to believe this would work... laugh.png

I failed already... I assembled the Knight before I was done with the Tempestus Command...

Painting the darker areas warplock bronze on your knight might give you a desired color closer to black for a metallic. Especially with a wash of nuln oil on it. Also, painting your knight in the colors of your main army really makes it feel at home with the rest of your troops. I will never regret matching my Knight to my Cadians.

Now that could work! I'll look into that.

Coming to a battle field near you. Expected arrival to crush you into tiny particles, 08.11.14. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/1780874_10202870379627340_3394244576008781958_n.jpg

*The angle is a tad off (and not to fancy due to the fact I am using a phone camera), but the torso is movable, and so is the melee arm. They will be so untilI am done painting it and finally decided on the position it will have. 

Also, I am not to sure I want the banner between his legs. Its not really my armies style to have banners and such. 

Does it feel like he is missing something there? Or is it ok to go this path with nothing there?

Corpses or bits from the vanquished enemies of the Emperor of Mankind? Maybe make some green stuff "footprints".

Corpses are under the category "army specific" items :)

I tend not to like to have army specific items on the base as it looks strange when I play against other armies that is not on the base. Example, I have a dead space marine or two on the base, and I fight against Orks, I see no reason for the space marines to be under my feet. 

I know that is silly of me, but I am very much for the visual effect when I play. So I generally don't play against players who don't have all the right models represented (what you see is what you get), and want to have the armies painted to 90% atleast. Yes I am that guy :)

But foot prints is a nice idea! Thing is now... I changed the whole base idea concept to my standard for large bases. Tons of rubble from  a premade mould I have made in the past. Pictures will come soon. 

So anyhow, waiting for the PVA glue to dry on the bases on my Tempestus Command squad. After that is done I am just a few minutes away from completing the command squad. 

Meanwhile I have been painting the Imperial knight. Sprayed him in a similar way as my scions. Added the Darkenhoff Nightshade. But as it is larger areas, and the details are spread out on a larger area, the shade doesn't do its magic as well. So I had to go over it with some good old dry brushing technique. 

Decided to try out and painting the Knight "exactly" like the scions. The armour details are very similar to the scions armour details. So... I'll be adding black to the areas one would paint in metallic. So far it looks pretty okey I think. I'll come with a picture once it is done. 

Allright!

PVA glue finally dried up, and the bases were done quickly. Took a picture using my lighthouse this time. I was unsure the light was enough, but after experimenting with my wife's eBay auction I saw some potential. Or rather, a better understanding of it. 

Anyhow, now I don't need to over expose the miniature with light, and with the light house the light is softer and the shadows are minimal. Didn't need to cut out the background at all. :) Saves me a few minutes editing. 

Well this here is the Tempestus Command squad. I decided to make it a beardy bunch of guys. The acting sub commander is given a coat to indicate that he is the sub commander for this battle. The other members in the unit act as advisors... with big guns (my fluff for this army is that the role for command is shifted to the one with the traits and skill for the current missions. The other officers become advisors). 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/TempestusCommand.jpg

Now onto the Imperial Knight...

Awesome, with facial hair like that you know they mean business! I love the commander, his pose in particular is very nice - dynamic, like he's striding out of a trench under a hail of fire like it's just a Tuesday for him!

I'm looking forward to seeing your Knight, keep up the excellent work ethic Vash you're doing us proud :tu:

Thanks. 

Yah I am very happy how the commander turned out from simple kit bashing. 

Fighting on a Tuesday is breakfast for him :) 

Going to rest a bit, kids woke me up early today and my wife had to rest, poor thing. So after that I might continue with the Knight. Tempted to make a veteran unit too. Problem is... I am missing missile launchers!

I like the coat. I may imitate if that's ok with you. Is that from the Cadian Command or from a different kit?

Go ahead, I can't stop you ;) (Just show us the result later on :) )

Yah its from the Cadian command box. 

Thanks.

My skills with a brush is not as good as many others in this forum. But I tend to focus on getting good pictures.

With a good quality picture and the right size to present it, the model it self will look enhanced.

Spending a few minutes with the picture taking will result in a more justified presentation of ones work.

I do know I am decent painter. But looking at my techniques they are pretty basic.

But I do combine a lot of techniques and methods to enhance simple techniques.

Look at my high lights. They are made with one single color. GW uses two.

But I enhance them with a heavy shade before hand.

Also the high lights are very limited. Only a few selected parts. The ones the eye will see at first glance.

Onto your question.

The parts between Cadian and Scions are not really super compatible. As you say the heads on the scions have a huge neck.

I cut off two thirds of the neck and the use the same technique for cleaning mold lines to even the cut I made.

After this the head fits much better.

The legs Och the scions face the same problem. I have to cut of the connecting part of the scions part and trim it down with a knife.

But that's the two main parts that are messy. The rest pretty much corporates pretty well.

It has arrived. 

The Imperial Knight is finished. Well... some additional smal details might pop up once the whole army is done. But for now he is done. 

I decided to keep the color scheme throughout the army, so the Imperial Knight underwent the same process of painting (in general). 

The decal on his shoulder pad isn't so visible in real life. 

Also I chose the head that was similar to my Scions with skulls. So he won't feel like he is alone...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/ImperialKnight.jpg

*I see now that I need to cover up the watermarks left behind from the nun oil shade above his head. 

Fantastic and fast vash!! Great use of a weekend:) the scions look great and this knight is a testament to your paint scheme.

Looking forward to seeing you work through your plastic horde.... The valk is one of my least favorite kits to put together... Have fun;)

Looking really good!

I was wondering: Could your technique work with a different colour rather than as the base? (i'm thinking of Kantor blue) I imagine it wouldn't blend as well with the light white spray from the top, but i'm not a painter so i could be wrong.

Looks great. May the enemies of the Imperium tremble in fear :)

Oh they will. :)

I think the scheme turned out great. The Nuln gives it a good weathered look. But if you want it cleaner - don't mix Nuln with any water at all.

Thanks.

The nuln oil isn't watered down. It's just that I forgot that I had a pool of shade at some locations.

Fantastic and fast vash!! Great use of a weekend:) the scions look great and this knight is a testament to your paint scheme.

Looking forward to seeing you work through your plastic horde.... The valk is one of my least favorite kits to put together... Have fun;)

Yah my weekend was full of activities. Halloween activity day with the kids, a visit to their grandparents the day after. Night time was my own time for painting :)

Looking really good!

I was wondering: Could your technique work with a different colour rather than as the base? (i'm thinking of Kantor blue) I imagine it wouldn't blend as well with the light white spray from the top, but i'm not a painter so i could be wrong.

I'll come back to you with an answer. Right now I am working :)

Need some time to research your question.

Thanks all!

Archived