IA13: Dedicated Transport Dreadclaws, and More!

Lexington

Also, the chaos rapier has access to many more weapon options than the renegade version: ectoplasma cannon, hades autocannon, cyclotrathe pattern conversion beamer (yes, for about the same cost of an obliterator, you get a S10 AP1 5" template, in squads of up to 3).

I MUST ACQUIRE THESE RAPIERS!

Edit: are they crewed by Marines or Traitor Guard or by themselves? I'm wanting to know which Rapier platforms to buy from FW.

Weird questions, for those that have gotten the collector edition, did it come with a pin and what size is the poster(in inches please). 

I had two previous FW order where I got 2 pins each. My Collectors (that I ordered alone) came with 1 pin. So now I have 5 pins.

Just got a chance to do a first pass at mine. I got it mostly for the traitor guard, and I must say I'm impressed. Nothing but that rapier strikes my fancy for CSM.

Weird questions, for those that have gotten the collector edition, did it come with a pin and what size is the poster(in inches please).

It's bigger than I expected. I don't have my tape measure with me, but it's bigger than my movie posters. Which are 24x36 inches

* edit* I lied. It's 24 by 32ish. (8 times 8.5 by 11.5 panels)

One thing I wanted to mention that I can't seem to see anyone else talk about is the Rapier batteries. These guys have to be perhaps one of the highlights of the book in terms of game power. For the most part, aside from a little extra rule about dying and exploding, the Rapier carrier is mostly the same as any other Rapier, with the exception that it does not have access to graviton guns and instead has access to the ectoplasma cannon aswell as the hades autocannon. 

But what really stands out above the rest is an exclusive weapon option called the 'Cyclotrathe Pattern Coversion Beamer'.  Now for the most part, the rules for this weapon is the same as the rest. However, the range for its shots are essentially halved. Now in most cases, one might see this as a bit of a downside, but based on the fact that games usually start with models around 48" apart from one another, I think that this only makes the weapon all the better. Rather than the average 48"-72" distance requirement to use the S10 AP1 attack, the Cyclotrathe has a 24"-48" range, making it far more reliable if you ask me to get full use of the conversion beamer's optimal firing capabilities. What's more? The weapon fires Large Blast shots, not your average standard blast template. I'm sorry, but these things are absolutely Brutal!

I had two previous FW order where I got 2 pins each. My Collectors (that I ordered alone) came with 1 pin. So now I have 5 pins.

Pin? What kind? I got the special edition IA13 and got no pin. Pin also isn't listed on the description http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_THIRTEEN_WAR_MACHINES_OF_THE_LOST_AND_THE_DAMNED_SPECIAL_EDITION.html

unless this is British talk for (pin-up) poster?

He's talking about a little extra that they throw in some orders, it's pretty random. That's why it isn't listed on the page. :)
I didn't get any pins with my order, I don't think there was any room in the package. ;) Plus I got a bunch at the European Forge World Day this september, so I'm not that miffed.

One thing I wanted to mention that I can't seem to see anyone else talk about is the Rapier batteries. These guys have to be perhaps one of the highlights of the book in terms of game power. For the most part, aside from a little extra rule about dying and exploding, the Rapier carrier is mostly the same as any other Rapier, with the exception that it does not have access to graviton guns and instead has access to the ectoplasma cannon aswell as the hades autocannon. 

But what really stands out above the rest is an exclusive weapon option called the 'Cyclotrathe Pattern Coversion Beamer'.  Now for the most part, the rules for this weapon is the same as the rest. However, the range for its shots are essentially halved. Now in most cases, one might see this as a bit of a downside, but based on the fact that games usually start with models around 48" apart from one another, I think that this only makes the weapon all the better. Rather than the average 48"-72" distance requirement to use the S10 AP1 attack, the Cyclotrathe has a 24"-48" range, making it far more reliable if you ask me to get full use of the conversion beamer's optimal firing capabilities. What's more? The weapon fires Large Blast shots, not your average standard blast template. I'm sorry, but these things are absolutely Brutal!

Yeah, rule-wise they look amazing, but I think the reason why it has stirred so little debate is that it's just that, amazing. I guess the drawback is that they are somewhat fragile, immobile, and take up a heavy support slot (there is just so much stuff in HS!), and also that there is no official model with the correct guns (though I don't think anyone would mind you using the graviton cannon as a conversion beamer)..

Was never talking about debate, just saying that no one brought it up at all? I would have thought with how great they were, someone would say something.

I at least did mention how awesome the new conversion beamer rapiers seem on page 12 (proof!)

They do look amazing, but are they really better than MoN Oblits? I can't decide, which I guess is an indication that they are fairly well balanced. Getting within 24" isn't hard at all, while hiding valuable stuff that is far away out of line of sight shouldn't be that hard on any reasonable terrain-filled table.

If the enemy comes at you, you will quickly have guns that are not all that impressive, they are pretty weak against deep strikers (if they arrive close by), and stuff that is far away will most likely only be targets of opportunity. If you are face to face with a LR, you can bet that tank will be within 24" after its first movement phase.

They seem really good as area denial units. Anything outside of 24" and in LOS of them will be in dire straights (unless cover of course). But they are a unit that does not allow you to take control of the battle (like the Fire Raptor or the Bombard), so I definitely don't view them as a must-have. I want them though, but I'm trying to think of a good way to make nice conversion beamers. I have some ideas. smile.png

I can't seem to see anyone else talk about the Rapier batteries.

Perhaps look to the first post on this page (and several on the last)? ;)

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

but you are absolutely right about them being brutal. Other highlights for CSM include double shot blastmasters on sonic dreads (a bit overpriced though) and finally sensible rules for those dust-covered defiler models with the plague hulk becoming generally available outside of daemons. Also air force upgrade with cheap 2x3-shot rending ACs (on a AV10/2HP chassis sadly) or lotsadakka on the fire raptor (not as cheap) and finally a working drop pod with pod assault and guidance system (catch22: costs more than a land raider). Downsides: the giant spawn is now heavy support/daemons only (propably a mistake) and all the Land Raider variants lack essential rules to the point of being unplayable. 

Hmm ... so the Relic Preds can be taken in squadrons???  Interesting.

no.

HH Legiones astartes can do that, chaos cannot.

Hmm ... so the Relic Preds can be taken in squadrons??? Interesting.

No, but if you unbound or allies, and then have either Abaddon, a Sorcerer or a Warpsmith for every pred after the first in your primary detachment, then you can group them into squadrons.

[Weeps at terrible Australian shipping times]

Not just Australian, try being a Kiwi.  Must be the furthest FW have to ship anything, unless they do deliveries to Scott Base.

Well, I've placed my order on October 14 and had it shipped down to Auckland by the 20th. I wasn't expecting anything much, particularly not after having had really awful shipping waits for models some time in 2012 ... But for me FW did an excellent job the other day. I hope yours arrives soon, mate.

It's bigger than I expected. I don't have my tape measure with me, but it's bigger than my movie posters. Which are 24x36 inches

* edit* I lied. It's 24 by 32ish. (8 times 8.5 by 11.5 panels)

Thank you, I plan to get my framed for my hobby room. 

Pin? What kind? I got the special edition IA13 and got no pin. Pin also isn't listed on the description http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_THIRTEEN_WAR_MACHINES_OF_THE_LOST_AND_THE_DAMNED_SPECIAL_EDITION.html

unless this is British talk for (pin-up) poster?

Ya, mine came with a pin with a chaos icon, sorry you did not get one. 

He's talking about a little extra that they throw in some orders, it's pretty random. That's why it isn't listed on the page. smile.png

I didn't get any pins with my order, I don't think there was any room in the package. msn-wink.gif Plus I got a bunch at the European Forge World Day this september, so I'm not that miffed.

Oh...sad I didn't get one. Especially after they screwed up my order and informed me 5 days later they couldn't send me Vraks 2 and 3....sigh.

So as far as Chaos Preds maybe being able to squadron we have two replies:

Hmm ... so the Relic Preds can be taken in squadrons???  Interesting.

no.

HH Legiones astartes can do that, chaos cannot.

... and ...

Hmm ... so the Relic Preds can be taken in squadrons??? Interesting.

No, but if you unbound or allies, and then have either Abaddon, a Sorcerer or a Warpsmith for every pred after the first in your primary detachment, then you can group them into squadrons.

So, umm ... huh?  I can understand the straight "no," but the second reply makes it sound like multiple Relic Preds from different Detachments can squadron up - but even if that's a special IA 13 rule, how could that ever be helpful?

Archived