Salamanders 2nd Company - Armour flame tutorial on pg 8

Stoneheart

Heh. As much as I love the stock weapon, I'm thinking about giving my flamer-bearing assault marines hand flamers from the Death Company plastic box. A lot harder to find though.

I love the signum backpack! I'd give every support sergeant one, whether heavy or special.

The apothecary looks good, even if I abhor studs on mk.IV legs. Damn you, Forge World, for ruining the best mk.IV set. tongue.png

Good assault marines. I like the flamer-bearer's bionic right arm.

Its mostly that acid green they usually give the Salamanders that puts me off. A mutted green like yours however makes me able to appreciate them. Other than that their fluff just never called to me like other legions/chapters, its the same with White Scars. 

I'm not even sure where to begin praising these. Some of the best Salamanders I've ever seen. The banner and free-hand flames stand out most, but what catches my eye is the practicality of the posing so far. There's a subdued dynamism and functionality to them that is quietly impressive.

One niggle is that the flames on the Apothecary's left shoulder-pad aren't as good as the others, but that really is a minor thing.

@Kurgan the Lurker; I really like that apothecary - what is the significance of the red do you know? Might have to repaint mine now!

@Stoneheart - The actual fluff passage is in the original Space Marine Painting Guide from RT days. Page 4:

The Salamanders only major deviation from the text of the Index Astartes arises with their Medics, who paint their left arm and the left hand side of their helmet red. This stems from a single Medic's gesture of respsect to his fallen Brothers in the Chapter's early history - he used his left arm to hold his carnifex and painted his arm red to hide the blood that he refused to wash off. The practice was quicly adopted by the whole Chapter.

gallery_2_3709_250203.jpg

@Anaziel; I get what you mean, some chapters just don't do it for me either - including white scars for me too. That said I'm enjoying the Scars HH novel :) Weirdly what got me into salamanders at first was the colour scheme, but my tastes have become 'grittier' with age!

@sockwithaticket; Thanks brother! About the Apothecary niggle, I know what you mean - it's a bit messy! But having seen the fluff presented by Kurgan I think I'll be re-painting him anyway ;)

@Kurgan; This is awesome mate, I'm actually going to adopt this idea.

Many thanks!

Stoneheart

Great looking Salamanders!!!

I find this very similar to my story. Salamanders player since 4th and just can't give it up. Very glad to see another log on this forum for this chapter, because sallies get almost no love overall. I have plans to repaint my old models, so I hope to continue to gain inspiration from this log.

Fantastic models, they look exactly as I imagined them. The colors work very well together and the skintone is ace.

Salamanders are awesome and Vulkan is one of my favorites. Damn how he killed 60 traitors while holding a dead son at Istvaan V. biggrin.png

Thanks again everybody for the kind comments! :)

@Acez - nice to see another person in my boat ;) I think the sallies have had a revival in recent years - ever since the 5th ed codex came out in fact, when they got a bit more attention rules-wise. I suppose the Salamanders novels by Nick Kyme have helped by fleshing out their background a bit more too. I'm honoured that you find the log inspiring - I hope I can keep it up :) Looking forward to seeing your sallies grace the screen at some point!

@Chickenleg - Ah, Vulkan.... and the FW model is superb. I'd be tempted to start a heresy army just to field that thing! That said, I'd be interested to see your take on a Heresy-era Salamander - your night lords are incredible!

@Hrolf- get going on them, lets get a strong salamander presence on this board :D My plan is to build these up to a fieldable, decent 2000pts worth I think - enough to game with on a regular basis. The army is largely themed around the 2nd company, but I'd like to include some Firedrakes and scouts too. Maybe add some allies - Marines Manevolent would be fun, but then so would be a beleaguered force of Black Templars needing saving after becoming over-extended...cool.png

Meanwhile, here's some more Salamanders! This time, the Chaplain and a few more assault marines - I painted the assault squad up first because I've always wanted one. I actually love using them in games, they're so handy and it's refreshing to have some miniatures that can move more than 6"! I'll probably add another one in at some point, when I've got the time to make a full battle company up...whenever that may be?!

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0183_zps9eac45e5.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0189_zps1a08c1d9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Stoneheart

An addendum and final post for the weekend, following Kurgan's suggestion (see Rogue Trader post at top of page) I have repainted my Apothecary! Hopefully cleared up the flames on the shoulder pad too ;) Apologies for rather blurry picture here, I've been relying on my phone to take pics.

Anyway, thanks for looking! :)

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0198_zpsb9f57d34.jpg

Stoneheart

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0185_zps0381dc9d.jpg

Just had a look though this army log & really great Salamander force.  Really looking forward to seen how the whole force look in the near future.  Just to ask is the Assault Marine on the left of the photo have marking painted on the right side of his helmet?

Are you planning on picking up Vulken your Primarch in the future as well?

Once again your comments are very much appreciated! Many thanks to all! :) I'm very pleased that people are liking the apothecary - it was actually all your encouraging comments that got me to repaint him so quickly! :D

@Insane Psychopath; Yes, they're supposed to be a sort of tribal marking - it started off as a fluffed-up edge highlight but then I thought hey why not, so there's another fella with it too now, see below :) I'd love to get Vulkan one day - maybe for christmas if I can persuade my friends and family that's its still normal that I collect toy soldiers! ;)

@Twisty - Thanks man! Join us...it'll be fun! ;)

Aaaand another 2 assault marines - need to get a decent camera to do the whole squad shot! :) The fella on the left has a weird pose I know, like he's trying to keep his flamer away from a horde of grots or something...he's supposed to be running at someone about to beat them over the head with it so try to imagine that instead :P xD

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0188_zpsa319851e.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Stoneheart

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments :) I have another update, this one inspired by the awesome fluff I have seen in this forum. Thought I'd give it a go myself to celebrate the incoming arrival of a certain mechanical character....hope this satisfies people's vehicle cravings! :D If not there's a Stormtalon coming along nicely.

Vast basins full of thrice-blessed promethium ignited as the two Salamanders passed them, banishing the stygian darkness of the cavernous hallway. The flickering light grew in intensity as they neared their destination, revealing intricately carved scenes in the obsidian walls – the master artisans responsible for the awe-inspiring sculpture had long since faded from memory, but their great work’s meaning was not lost on the two warriors as they marched solemnly towards their destination. Figures taller than a marine in full Tactical-Dreadnought plate told the story of a craftsman of singular capability. His craft was rendered in metaphor – in one hand, he gripped a mighty forge-hammer, the other, he grappled a great spirit of fire, thought to represent the will of furious Nocturne herself. In another panel, the smith  took a plane to the very sides of Mount Deathfire, this tableau thought to represent his mastery of the strength of the Salamander’s homeworld.

Each mighty basin, as it lit, revealed more of the story.

Captain Pellas Mir’san, leader of the 2nd company of the Salamanders Chapter, had only needed to tread this path once before in all his long years of service. Though it was nearing a century since he had last been here, he still recalled the awe which had gripped him that first time, as he bore witness to the splendour of the ancient carvings. But he also recalled the great sadness that he felt, as to enter the chamber at the end of the hallway was to court great risk. Not for his own safety, or for those under his command, but for the very thing that he sought. This second time was different. He felt all the sadness, but little awe. Age had rendered his capacity to be amazed somewhat stunted.

His forest-green, artificer-wrought war plate hummed with every stride. A cloak of drake-scale, as old as his service record, cascaded from his shoulders and wafted in the updraft created by the burning basins. Sheathed at his side was his great blade, Cinders Edge, with which he had ended the lives of his Chapter’s foes for nearly two centuries. He went without helm, as he so often did these days, allowing his greying flesh to bask in the baking air. His eyes, once the searing red of distant stars, were now dull-glowing embers set in the craggy mountain-side that was his skull. The ritual scarring common to all marines of his ilk reached almost to his bald pate, as sure a sign of his age and veteran status as was his natural appearance.

“What do you make of it, Lo’tok?” Mir’san said, his voice like the sifting of ash in a dying fire. The younger marine next to him struggled to draw his attention from the walls before replying.

“It defies explanation, sir.” Was all he eventually said. Mir’san smiled inwardly. Lo’tok was a Techmarine, and an enthusiastic one at that. To be at last rendered speechless over something so esoteric was an irony not lost on the Captain.

“That is understandable,” He replied sagely. “But do you know what it means?”

The reply was instantaneous. “It is our Primarch Vulkan, sir. Each panel shows a different aspect of his creation of the ultimate fusion of humanity and machine.” Lo’tok’s voice was rendered almost monotone by his vocal implants. It was a common alteration in Techmarines, as it enabled them to commune better with their mechanical charges, but it had the effect of making it difficult for them to inflect emotion into their human voice.

“And here we are, about to wrench it from its blessed slumber.” Mir’san mused, almost to himself. “I have been the only one to request the assistance of the Iron Dragon twice in the last century.”

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0199_zps39db244f.jpg

Obviously the mechanicum haven't finished rebuilding him yet ;)

Stoneheart

Archived