Salamanders 2nd Company - Armour flame tutorial on pg 8

Stoneheart

Thanks Anaziel, glad you liked the fluff :) I love writing but never have the patience to do more than a few pages! I only use Runelord Brass for gold-work now, looks so much less orange than shining gold used to...

Looks like a good start to Ashmantle. I haven't seen too many nicely painted versions of this model, but I'm sure you'll do it justice!

Do you play on keeping the flames in gold on his legs, and picking out the details on his left arm mural?

Looks like a good start to Ashmantle. I haven't seen too many nicely painted versions of this model, but I'm sure you'll do it justice!

Do you play on keeping the flames in gold on his legs, and picking out the details on his left arm mural?

Hi Acez, thanks man, I hope it turns out alright - I'm actually repainting him by sub-sections, it was originally in the acid green and looked a bit messy, so he's getting a 7th ed spruce up :)

I'm probably going to keep the decorative flames in gold, because the orange and yellow I've used previously would clash with the gold I think. I'm not actually a fan of the large sculpted flames that FW produce when they're painted 'fiery', so in the past I have always painted them in either metal or gold.

As to the bass-relief on the left arm, again I've gone for the gold approach so far. I'm yet to see a nice looking 'technicolour' version of it, in my mind it's a brass/gold sculpture, so looks better that way, but I'm open to the concept of painting it as it's such a nice feature on the model :) 

@Ricky, thanks brother! Much appreciated - I'm honoured to represent a portion of the Chapter here - I hope it inspires others as much as others have inspired me :)

Very happy to see these.smile.png Loving the muted green, just like everyone else. Mind sharing the recipe?msn-wink.gif

Hi 00branchow, thanks for looking and for the kind comment. :) Always a pleasure to impress a fellow Salamander! I posted the recipe for the green on page 1, but for posterity here it is again ;)

Base= Thraka Green

Wash= Nuln Oil

Layer = Thraka Green

Highlights: 1 - Loren Forest, 2 - Straken Green

Final Highlight: Nurgling Green.

Then Vallejo Matt Varnish to finish.

:)

Ugh, I'm really trying hard not to buy even more paints I'll barely use, but that gold on Ashmantle's legs is so tempting.

Really nice work on the repainted Apothecary, including his redone shoulder pad flames, much more in line with your other impeccable examples.

@00branchow - Feel free, I'd be honoured to see your interpretation of it! :)

@sockwithaticket - Thanks man, much appreciated :)

So, another update. Spent the weekend away so didn't get much hobby in but was keen to get back into it having lurked around some of the fantastic other blogs on here, inspiring stuff! :) Managed to spruce up some more of Brayarth Ashmantle tonight. I ended up going with the orange flames as a spot colour, I think the result is better. Thoughts? Also attempted some freehand 'scale' pattern on the legs.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0201_zps85700dde.jpg

From the rear, with fiery glow-y engine...

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0205_zps803191c3.jpg

And also, proud to present my all but finished Stormtalon! Needs some icons, and weathering, and another missile pod which is conveniently out of shot here, and a base...so maybe not finished, but this pretty much how it will look barring a few details ;)

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0206_zps149a90c6.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Stoneheart.

I think that looks awesome!  I haven't painted my own Ashmantle yet but when I sit there looking at the lines, that was exactly what I was thinking, and why I brought it up.  You made it look better than I imagined!  Really enjoy your idea to pick the scales out on the Salamanders heads in green, instead of keeping those gold too.  Breaks up that large gold logos.  Is the moon white or silver?  I can't tell, it kinda looks shiny,  

Stormtalon looks good.  Can't wait to see some weathering on it. 

Your force is really progressing.  Do you have an army list in mind, or are you just painting what you like?

Cheers guys!

@Acez - thanks man, really glad you approve :) It's quite a challenging model to paint actually, difficult to work out what to do with each section! Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of ashmantle. The moon is silver, with blue and black washes.

It's progressed well so far, but some of these models I started earlier this year like the captain and the assault squad, so it's just a case of uploading the images! ;) But I am still working on things. It's difficult to justify purchases at the moment to be honest, as being at uni I don't have a regular income, so I'm basically painting everything I have unfinished! Might get some christmas money to squander on plastic though, so planning to eventually make up a drop-pod based list.

Basically, it's going to be a sort of 'half company' at the moment.

Captain + Command Squad in drop pod

2-3 Tactical Squads in drop pods

Assault Squad with Chaplain

Dreadnought (possibly just ashmantle but I love dreads so might get another generic one)

1-2 Stormtalons + Storm Eagle (transports assault squad)

1-2 Devastator Squads

Terminator Assault Squad

Possibly some Scouts

Next purchase will be focusing on the Tactical Squads as I don't have troops choices yet! Might pick up the rumoured 'shield of baal' boxed set as I also collect 'nids, and the last campaign box was great value.

Would eventually like to ally in some other chapter, either black templars, marines manevolent (for armageddon) or one of the badab war chapters.

Now, how to approach the bass-relief on Bray'arth's arm.... :S

You may yet, Mr Raktra, you may yet ;)

Glad you like him Brother Heinrich! Here's another update, have spruced up the big guy's close combat arm. Attempted to get a glowing cherry red at the base of each claw to break up the metal and make them look a bit more fancy. Excuse the backdrop of my living room door, I've discovered that these miniatures come up better in front of a dark background and that was all there was at the time! ;)

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/IMAG0207_zps94977ff4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :) As always, comments and criticism welcome.

Stoneheart

Base= Thraka Green

Wash= Nuln Oil

Layer = Thraka Green

smile.png

Isn't Thraka Green the old GW wash? Are you washing over black or am I missing something?

I'm picking up some of the FW Fire Drakes in the next few weeks and really want to replicate your muted green.

Base= Thraka Green

Wash= Nuln Oil

Layer = Thraka Green

smile.png

Isn't Thraka Green the old GW wash? Are you washing over black or am I missing something?

I'm picking up some of the FW Fire Drakes in the next few weeks and really want to replicate your muted green.

Hi Brother Valten, sorry you are absolutely right, I was getting the names mixed up - it's Waagh Flesh. It's because they're both ork-y ;) So the black wash goes over the waagh flesh basecoat, then I think the others are all correctly named!

Good choice on the firedrakes, I hope the green recipe works out for you :)

Don't know how I didn't notice this before. Good to see more Sallies, really like the work. I prefer the muted green colour too rathr than the standard gw snot green scheme. Excellent work on the free hand flames really tough to get right but you aced them. I look forward to seeing more.

Wow these are epic, and like others I love the muted green, the gold and the flame details which are not over the top, but look perfectly in place..

It gives them a far more natural feel and the green you have used has just enough rightness to make sure they aren't confused with Dark Angels.

Love the red glow on Ashmantles claw, how did you do it? Airbrush, or just crazy talented?

Archived