Community project : Let's found a Chapter ! (Phase 3 & 4)

GreyCrow

Not sure what the Lion would represent, this is all I could come up with.

Lion El'Jonson, The Emperor's first son sought to test his purity leaving his father's host to dwell amongst daemons. Returning with a mind as noble as before Lion El'Jonson is a living embodiment of unchanging virtues. He aids all who hold true to their beliefs in times of duress and damns those who would trade betray their beliefs for victory.

I don't think we need to be that specific. D&D-style cosmologies has given a lot of people the idea that gods have to clearly be the god of one or more specific things, and actual pantheons didn't work that way. They worship the Emperor and His Loyal Sons. There's a lot of depth of interpretation in terms of which son has purview over what phenomenon. Some of the sons share domains, so that Vulkan the Dragon Son and Sanguinius the Angel share a reputation for justice, mercy, and self-control, while Sanguinus the Angel and Dorn the Siegemaster are both known for their fury in battle and their righteous defense of Holy Terra during the Heresy. Overlap is ok. Unclear purviews are ok. Maybe they aren't really clear on what the Lion represents... but they worship him anyway, because he's clearly part of the myth, even if they don't really know what he's there for. There's lots of stuff in mythology that isn't really there for anything anymore, and it has been ten thousand years!

I can see them getting on pretty well with some chapters. I think the Ultramarines and their crew would probably afford them grudging respect, although not being too comfortable with their prisoner sacrifice.

I think the likes of the Templars would not be their best friends. The Knights Panthera hold some unorthodox ideas that don't mesh too well with the Templars brand of zeal. After all, there's nothing that gets a passionately religious person riled up than another passionately religious person with a teeny tiny difference of dogma.

I can see them getting on pretty well with some chapters. I think the Ultramarines and their crew would probably afford them grudging respect, although not being too comfortable with their prisoner sacrifice.

I think the likes of the Templars would not be their best friends. The Knights Panthera hold some unorthodox ideas that don't mesh too well with the Templars brand of zeal. After all, there's nothing that gets a passionately religious person riled up than another passionately religious person with a teeny tiny difference of dogma.

I think that their veneration of First Founding chapters - and second founding with close ties - is sometimes kind of awkward for the more zealously atheist chapters. Blood Angels can be like "you REALLY like your rituals… well, that's ok." Iron Hands are like "the kids ain't right…"

I think all the older chapters will more or less be wary of the Knights Panthera, while post-Vandire chapters will neutral or like them do to shared worship in the God-Emprah. There would be exceptions obviously, the Ultramarines would probably be pretty tolerant because of their common lineage.

I think all the older chapters will more or less be wary of the Knights Panthera, while post-Vandire chapters will neutral or like them do to shared worship in the God-Emprah. There would be exceptions obviously, the Ultramarines would probably be pretty tolerant because of their common lineage.

The imperium is also stupidly vast, it is entirely possible that several first foundings have never heard of the Knights Panthera. If I remember correctly when one of the marine chapters arrived to fight in the Badab war, everyone else was confused as to who they were.

The imperium is also stupidly vast, it is entirely possible that several first foundings have never heard of the Knights Panthera. If I remember correctly when one of the marine chapters arrived to fight in the Badab war, everyone else was confused as to who they were.

That is important to remember, space marines are just legends to the greater Imperium and some chapters are unbeknown even to other Astartes. It's not like they're all sent a memo of the chapter's created during each founding; that would require far to much effort and resource to work semi-decently.

I don't think we need to detail exatly how each individual chapter views them, with the exception of their primogenitor and a group of allies, a more general appoach would work because it would more or less apply to large groupings of marines from different periods in imperial history.

I think something like this is likely:

Pre-Vandire: Cautious of the chapter's radical beliefs, appears heretical.

Vandire Era: Strange beliefs, but tolerable.

Post-Vandire: Brother Astartes who share belief in the deification of the Emperor.

True, its possible a world with a chapter serf stationed on it might not have been visited by a member of the chapter for hundreds of years.

Anyone have any ideas for where in the galaxy they'd be located?

Centaurus Arm is pretty empty.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110121215145/warhammer40k/images/0/04/The_Warhammer_40k_Galaxy_Map.jpg

I could see that being likely. That bit of space near Alaitoc would be great, they're in an area of space all their own and have a prime enemy to sacrifice. Depending on where you position them on the arm will determine the enemies they'll face. Just looking at where it is, if we put them near the craftworld we have the possibility of Orks, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, maybe Necron and DEldar, and a possibility for chaos marines. So chances are all the enemies of man will have tasted the cold steel of the Knights Panthera without them having to leave their sub-sector.

I could see that being likely. That bit of space near Alaitoc would be great, they're in an area of space all their own and have a prime enemy to sacrifice. Depending on where you position them on the arm will determine the enemies they'll face. Just looking at where it is, if we put them near the craftworld we have the possibility of Orks, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, maybe Necron and DEldar, and a possibility for chaos marines. So chances are all the enemies of man will have tasted the cold steel of the Knights Panthera without them having to leave their sub-sector.

I feel like space marine chapters will operate across at least a sector of space.

I feel like space marine chapters will operate across at least a sector of space.

True, but I was just pointing out the concentration of enemies in that region. The chapter may very well operate across the entirety of the segmentum or galaxy for all we know.

True, but I was just pointing out the concentration of enemies in that region. The chapter may very well operate across the entirety of the segmentum or galaxy for all we know.

Understood, personally I think the Knights Panthera (like most chapters) focus on the sector that contains their homeworld but occasionally ventures to nearby sectors for important incidents (large campaigns, chasing fleeing enemies, specific calls for aid)

Well, i'm going to jump the gun a bit. Standard, halved, or quartered? tongue.png

Let's go balls out. Quartered yellow and black!

While I am fine with quartered, why yellow and black? I feel like that won't accessorize well with jaguar/ panther pelts. What about either dark red or dark green and black?

Well, i'm going to jump the gun a bit. Standard, halved, or quartered? tongue.png

Let's go balls out. Quartered yellow and black!

While I am fine with quartered, why yellow and black? I feel like that won't accessorize well with jaguar/ panther pelts. What about either dark red or dark green and black?

Because yellow and black are, you know... jaguar colors? We could do black and deep umber yellow instead, to contrast with the pelts.

The most common colours in use for DIY chapters are red, black and white. The least common are brown and orange. Now, we can go with the flow, or diverge wildly.

I like the idea of big cat pelts for veterans and heroes, so a colour that offsets that well would be good.

For purely selfish reasons, I'd like to stay away from black, purple, white and green, as these are the colours I use for my existing DIY's.

I think a quartered scheme will look striking, but can be a pig to paint. Always nice to set a challenge though.

The maya blue is a good shade, there's also a precedent for blue from the franks, as Charlemagne favoured it. Maybe a dark blue with a pale grey or silver?

Archived