Drakeslayers - Kine G'namadth (Hounds) Completed

Bryan Blaire

Progress is progress! Keep it going.

Appreciate it bud, really do!

And I have pushed on - got most of the base coating done, but it's all the little things that take so damned looooooong.

Pouches, pistols, and Wolf-itizing (Wolfing, Wolfinating?) the kits up are somewhat done, as well as marking out the Wolf Guard Pack Leader (knee ridges will be in the antique gold, as well as an honor marking on his knee).

med_gallery_59244_10222_921402.jpeg

And one out of focus combat blade with rune stone accoutrement:

med_gallery_59244_10222_21944.jpeg

So, yeah, there we are right now. Trying to get at least a small bit done every day and I think I'm closing in on starting to do some shading. Then it will be the initial edge highlighting, then on to other pieces of the models so I can get these Teen Wolves assembled. :lol:

And I really appreciate all you fine folk that are following the thread!

looking real good

if you spend this long on troops i cant wait to see your HQ models!

Helmets or bare heads planned for this pack?

Thanks! :lol: on the HQs - really need more Primaris Wolf info - right now probably only the Battle Leaders.

All helmets for these guys, but likely to be some bare heads on the Intercessors, Gravis, and Reivers.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have finally managed to get all of the non-metallic portions of the torsos and legs for the Stalker squad. Hit a bit of a snag because I didn't like the way the dark brown leather sat against the grey armor, so I improvised a new recipe for the Primaris pouches, scabbards, and holsters using a mix of Rhinox Hide and Doombull Brown. Hopefully it looks distinct enough from the leather thongs color.

I will snag some pics tomorrow after I get the metallics highlighted, and from there it's arms w/Stalker rifles, power plants, and helms (one of which will likely be the pack leader's Mk7 helm, because he crossed the Rubicon and wanted a few pieces of his old armor).

Finally got the highlights done and got some images.

Indirect light images (a little darker than normal):

med_gallery_59244_10222_81005.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_58944.jpeg

Direct light (more stark and bright than normal):

med_gallery_59244_10222_38381.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_48320.jpeg

Thoughts on the holsters/pouches? Does the color stand out well against the grey? It looks a bit warmer IMO, compared to the previous color, which I think looks pretty good against the more neutral grey.

I had hoped that I would get more done this month, but alas, it seems like I'm still going to be plagued by inactivity and an overactive internal critic that makes me go back over everything until it's acceptable to me.

ooh that gold is coming in nice

the brown pouches is a bit muted against the grey - pure black or a brighter brown might be the way to go. though some high contrast edge highlights might be all you need - edit: like, really worn and aged around the edges with little scratches, can use a wash to tone it down if it's too much.

Edited by Wispy

ooh that gold is coming in nice

the brown pouches is a bit muted against the grey - pure black or a brighter brown might be the way to go. though some high contrast edge highlights might be all you need - edit: like, really worn and aged around the edges with little scratches, can use a wash to tone it down if it's too much.

It looks nice, but I'm a little apprehensive that it might be too bright, especially if it's put near the classic Wolves (which I will still be working on) - then again, the armor they bear is more recently manufactured, so the gold likely isn't quite as ancient as some of that borne by the original Wolves.

I'm really hoping that using the Karak Stone will brighten up the leather - still not sure about mixing it with the Doombull Brown yet, or if it will look better with a double layer of additional highlighting.

Made some head-way on the Sgt's arms tonight, just laying down base colors. I'm interested to see how the bolt rifle casing will look in the deep red shaded with black to darken it further - if it looks good, then my Reivers and Infiltrators will also get that coloration to distinguish them from the more traditional Battleline units.

So I’m still struggling with the colors a little, so rather than deal with it, I went and painted this:

med_gallery_59244_10222_14626.jpeg

Because what a gaming model needs is a semi-detailed wrist computer - still need to do the surrounding highlights and see if I can fake some OSL.

:facepalm:

And there should be no doubt as to why I never get projects done.

Skip the OSL because the night vision they have in their helmets would be blinded if something was that bright! AHA! Justification to skip an extremely time-consuming painting technique!

:lol: And here I was just planning on using the green tint from GW! But that's very true (it also makes me wonder why they need wrist computers, can't most things just appear on their HUD inside the helm?), so thank you for providing me that out! :lol:

holy crap that computer arm looks amazing

you must have the fine motor skills of a neurosurgeon

:lol: Not quite, but thanks! Steady hands have helped me on slide sample cross-sectioning work on more than one occasion though. Thank you very much for the compliment, glad you like it!

So managed to get a couple of other things done:

Leather highlighting and "scratches/weathering"!

Indirect Light:

med_gallery_59244_10222_82173.jpeg

Direct Light:

med_gallery_59244_10222_83438.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_203163.jpegmed_gallery_59244_10222_188962.jpeg

Bolt Rifle and Pistol Casing Color Test:

med_gallery_59244_10222_31567.jpeg

So all of the direct light stuff (including the casing color test) are actually darker in person - the light is from the daylight bulb I have in my painting lamp, but it's the best way I have to show it, while indirect light in this place is crap and makes everything look darker, even against the lighter background. So all I can really say is that it looks somewhere in the middle.

So, what sayeth the Fang regarding the leather? And the darker red weapon casings? Those will end up darker than my weapon bodies for the classic Astartes Wolves - that was straight Khorne Red, while this has had two full coats of Nuln Oil.

I also can't decide if I like the gold scroll on the weapon, or if the parchment color scroll would had looked better.

I am trying very hard to beat up my inner critic on this stuff and just move on... sigh.

You're a skilled painter. I'm most impressed with how realistically you paint leather.

Thanks Bjorn! I have been concerned that it actually didn't look the part, there are a couple of places I wish I'd have been able to blend more, the stark lines just seem to really stand out to me.

I appreciate the kind words, they really do help me to move on. I'm also trying to remember that these pictures are probably closer than most anyone but me (and probably BCK) will ever really get in examining the figures, but good Lord is it hard to unclench and just let things flow and go on this stuff for me.

One day I will find that critic though, and one of us will die violently from prolonged strangulation. :lol:

you're on the right track. follow your initial instincts and quit second guessing yourself. :)

the leather looks great and the warm reds and browns will look good together.

Thanks Wispy, really appreciate it!

So the Honed Seeker Pack Alpha is coming together!

med_gallery_59244_10222_56650.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_10222_47646.jpeg

I'm really happy how he's coming along - only four parts left: two pauldrons, head/helm, and power pack! Plus highlighting. And the rest of the pack!

• 2 weeks later...

Really starting to come together! Looking good!

Brother, these are looking amazing, keep upcthe good work.

I know the inner critic can be a bit of a :cuss at times, always ignore him. Halfway through projects mine always tries to make me strip models and start again!

Indeed! Fantastic golds and great choice of grey!

gold on the knee rims look nice, balances out the aquilla nicely. :)

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it.

The gold knee rims are going to be for Pack Leaders/Wolf Guard only.

Had to haul myself back into painting after stalling on restarting - not really sure why, but back up on the horse. Got all the leather highlighted to completion, so now moving on to the arms.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been in and out of the office and home due to work trips, so have gotten nothing done on the models, except maybe to buy some more model components to use.

Instead I've managed to complete a project since about mid-September to create a name generator for my Wolves to create both given names and epithets for them (216 given names - with some variation on names worked in, 36x6 grids of epithet portions rolled as a couplet - hoping that provides more than a Legion's worth of names - discarding crappy or nonsensical combinations that would result in names meaning 'Wolf Wolfson' and the like- I'd actually like to do more given names)

So for my first five guys with the Stalker rifles:

Greger Aelfbane (Pack Alpha)

Olof Fenreaper

Dren Stalking-spear

Stal Ravenhammer

Othvar Eastenheim

Now I just have to get them finished and come up with some preliminary fluff for them. What I have right now is that Greger is an Ascended Primaris and bears his helm from his Mk7 suit of armor - now here's the question that poses... is that helm still my storm grey color, or would it have been re-colored to match the standard grey of the Tacticus armor?