Drakeslayers - Kine G'namadth (Hounds) Completed

Bryan Blaire

So sadly not much work done for the hobby over the last month or so, some due to frustration waiting on orders, some due to RPG research and writing for non-40K sci-fantasy system stuff.

I got a couple of pieces assembled from the terrain in my Command starter box, but what I really wanted to do to continue my Wolves was able to finally move forward when my GSW order arrived:

med_gallery_59244_7045_434691.jpeg

The results of about 24 hours of curing 2:1 Green Stuff:yellow-grey Miliput:

med_gallery_59244_7045_314801.jpeg

med_gallery_59244_7045_282365.jpeg

And finally, some stuff I still need to clean:

med_gallery_59244_7045_626478.jpeg

Unfortunately I have to redo about a 1/3rd of my molds, and probably find a better way to apply pressure to the molds so that these set better, but overall I'm pretty pleased. I do have one gem with a messed up tip, but I'd like to think (if it doesn't happen again) that it's just an opportunity to indicate some battle damage.

Still working to gain some more confidence with the Greenstuff, because I've still got some ideas that need making, but I'm hoping these help jumpstart some Wolfiness again!

Thanks Chazzmos! I was really sweating my orders showing up, so I ended up sitting down and getting a list together of all the stuff I wanted to mold, and what I wanted it for.

Going to be trying to make some more of the molds, hopefully with a little higher quality this time, and I want to get a bit of mass production in for some of them, because I’m going to need quite a few gems, wolf heads, and wolf skulls.

i really should mold things, it'd save me a lot of money.

I'm really hoping this stuff turns out, I've got a bunch of ideas on things to do, but I feel like it could still go really sideways on me and end up looking like poo.

I got a couple of the pieces cleaned up and put on some breastplates. First up, what I'm calling the wolf head aquila:

sml_gallery_59244_10222_68642.jpeg

I think this one turned out pretty good - there are a couple of casting defects, but they are only apparent if you really look at the blown up image - table top size I don't think you'll even notice them unless painting really highlights them - in which case I am going to paint it to downplay them and hope that the Bolt Rifle hides it. :devil: It's a little big, but it's the smallest head-on view wolf head that I could find to mold, and the larger size just helps hide the :cuss hatchet job I did on the skull removal from the aquila. :lol:

This is the icons on a chain from a WG Terminator breastplate - I'm okay with this one, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have looked better with thinned down rings more so it sat a bit more flush. It's only on with superglue, so I think I could get it off relatively safely and then repair the plate and thin it down more.

sml_gallery_59244_10222_181330.jpeg

I'm also reconsidering the placement - I put it there so that it was at least partially visible over the Bolt Rifle, but I'm thinking it would possibly look better either lower on the breasplate or even mounted on the belt (or heck, on the actual bolt rifle if it would situate right). If it doesn't work, it just doesn't work - I've got a couple of other breastplate icon pieces.

Anyway, thoughts and C&C are always welcome - I know it's early on these pieces, but I'm interested to hear y'all's feedback.

Looks like the wolf head is molded from the head I used on this guy.

50374158746_df5c951650_o.jpg

I thought it a tad big to go with the wings, which is why I removed them on mine but it looks pretty good on yours. It should paint up pretty well

Chain totems look good but I agree that smoothing it down would give a better, more natural fit. As for placement, whether as is, lower down or on the belt, I’d need to see what it looks like with the bolt rifle on there to better determine.

Edited by HvitrValdyr

i bought myself a pair of Godhand clippers, and by god it slices the iconography cleanly off the models with no fuss. removed that same wolf head off of some terminator lightning slaws in seconds.

Wait those are actually good? I always thought those were just all advertisement

i bought myself a pair of Godhand clippers, and by god it slices the iconography cleanly off the models with no fuss. removed that same wolf head off of some terminator lightning slaws in seconds.

Wait those are actually good? I always thought those were just all advertisement
no man, they're real and incredible. i wanted to spend less time cleaning up models when i got them, and they do that... i wasn't expecting them to be able to snip off iconography so effortlessly, though. game changer.

apparently their are a lot of knokck offs, i bought mine at a local anime/manga store that also sold gundam supplies.

Edited by Wispy

HvitrValdyr, I molded mine off the power plant topper from the Wulfen kit, so not sure if that’s where you got yours. Really like that Bladeguard, going to be doing something similar with mine, but hoping that I can maybe get a breastplate molded - we’ll see how that turns out!

Wispy, I’ll have to go back and look at the Terminator lightning claws - haven’t seen it, but I got that one per the above. Not sure how similar they are. Those clippers sound mighty nice, wonder if any of the shops around here sell them, we’ve got a couple of places that do Gundam kits.

Did you get these ones? https://www.amazon.com.au/God-Hand-Spn-120-Ultimate-Nipper/dp/B008S51O22

That is an expensive but sweet looking set of clippers!

Did you get these ones? https://www.amazon.com.au/God-Hand-Spn-120-Ultimate-Nipper/dp/B008S51O22

That is an expensive but sweet looking set of clippers!

yeah, those, but i spent less on them ($80 Canadian)

HvitrValdyr, I molded mine off the power plant topper from the Wulfen kit, so not sure if that’s where you got yours. Really like that Bladeguard, going to be doing something similar with mine, but hoping that I can maybe get a breastplate molded - we’ll see how that turns out!

Yup, sliced it right off! Molded breastplate sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing results.

• 1 month later...

So didn't end up working on those Intercessors, wandered off to play magnets with some Necromunda terrain.

However, the muse returned with her bloody blade and gifted me with a few ideas for the Ulkine G'namath (Hounds of Morkai squad - working title) - so I managed to get the breastplates rigged up this evening:

med_gallery_59244_10222_256164.jpeg

(click image for large version)

Got some bases for them set and ready to go, so should be able to prime at least some bodies up this weekend. Going to be a mixed axe and blade squad, hopefully will be visually interesting.

Nicely done! Glad to see the Oyumaru is treating you well. :)

Thanks bud! We'll see how it treats me with some of the bigger stuff and clamps used. :)

Today is assembly day for legs and torsos, and some cleaning on the FW stuff. Going to be magnetizing up some heads.

Also trying to mull over a different name for the Hounds - maybe the Kine G'nadth instead (massive corruption of "sorcery" and "killer" in Old Norse - possibly a little too on the snout?).

Looking forward to the conversions. I like both names, you can get away with unsubtle nomenclature I think. :):) What paints did you use for the WGBL's fur?

Thanks Badger! I'll keep thinking on the names. Work is apace on the bodies, and I've got all the weapons laid out and I'm still mentally turning some thoughts over for those.

The WGBL's fur was done all with Contrast - all Wraithbone base. Inner lining was Snakebite Leather, with Gore-Grunta Fur for the pads on the paws, followed by some additional recess wash with Nuln Oil. Outer fur was about 2/3rds of the whole thing with Skeleton Horde, trying to get only the edges I was planning on blending. I followed this with Gryph-Hound Orange, and tried to use Contrast Medium near the edges to blend it into the Skeleton Horde - it spread out a little more than I had intended, but at least it ended up looking organic, IMO. The final part was to make the darkest parts with just a line of Gore-Grunta Fur blended out with Contrast Medium, and then a line down to the paws, with the last 1/8th or so done with Gore-Grunta and then blended outward into an almost chevron shape. The claws were painted with Dryad Bark, IIRC, shaded with Nuln Oil - can't actually remember if I ever went back and highlighted them now that I think about it.

• 4 weeks later...

A meager offerings to the last month of the year for this thread (which are unlikely to get done by the new year), here are some of the converted bits I've been working on for my Kine G'namadth (each is converted in some way):

med_gallery_59244_10222_900824.jpeg

(Click for Large Size image to see detail)

The largest bladed of the axes didn't come out as cleanly as I had hoped, which stinks, because it's definitely the one I worked on the longest and has the most pinning I've ever done for a conversion (bottom of the grip is off when looked at from the top down), but it works from the majority of viewing angles.

Not shown are the unconverted standard SW power packs and Deathsworn power pack I'll be using (a little fluff being written on that one), as well as the heads.

Looking forward to getting these all on their spikes (paper clip bits) for painting and getting them primed this week.