The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

My God, I just saw Dantes leaked rules and he is a monster! I can stomach the nerfed Meph now that Dante is the most bad ass of Chapter Masters. His stats are insane and his army buffs are nuts, and he gets to roll a second WL trait, screw you Calgar. 6th belonged to Meph, 7th is Dantes edition.

Yup, a similarly equipped vanilla chapter master is 270 pts (with orbital strike and 3++). Dante is 50 points less, has higher I, a melta pistol, and rules that are worth that orbital strike 2 times. I really don't know how they figure out costs for characters like this.

Guess it was GWs way of getting us to over look the Twilighting of Ole Mephy, ever codex needs one big nasty.

Yup, a similarly equipped vanilla chapter master is 270 pts (with orbital strike and 3++). Dante is 50 points less, has higher I, a melta pistol, and rules that are worth that orbital strike 2 times. I really don't know how they figure out costs for characters like this.

Dante is a LoW. I know some places restrict them or only allow a limited number so you could argue Dante is in competition with the big war machines. Still, not sure that is a valid argument.

Does being a LoW mean that Dante does not use up an HQ slot?

Dante is a LoW. I know some places restrict them or only allow a limited number so you could argue Dante is in competition with the big war machines. Still, not sure that is a valid argument.

Does being a LoW mean that Dante does not use up an HQ slot?

It does mean that. It's both a downside and benefit

In my area tourneys house rule that Ghazgkull (don't know exactly where the Gs the Hs and the Ks go) and Logan Grimnar count as HQ. But normally yes, Dante is not HQ, he's LoW. So you need to go double detachments if you want to include him and a Titan. But in most cases this won't be an issue smile.png

The fact that he's not HQ can be good, since that leaves room for a priest and a libby. Or bad if you're on a budget and only wanted to field one HQ...but there are several cheap HQs, and if you want a 220 Warlord, you can't be on such a tight budget smile.png

I found the best way to cover the 'troop tax' is by putting 5 tacs with heavy flamer and combi-flamer in a deathwind drop pod to leave camped on objectives.

This looks like only one troop choice.

I quite like the Frag Dread with Heavy Flamer and Magna Grapple in a normal pod. Decent value. Will be nasty to drop in the middle of the enemy. Threatens units of comparable points cost.

What does the Magna-Grapple do in the new codex?

It's the apology for 1.5 editions of having to pistol whip enemies to strike at initiative.

As it should be!  Will be nice to see him back on the table.

Will his addition in a formation invalidate that formation's rules?

You cannot add units to a formation. If you add a unit that is not part of a detachment (formations are detachments too) the whole army becomes unbound.

Magna-grapple is a free upgrade, you can swap your smoke-launchers for it. It gives the dread move through cover, and reroll charge distance when assaulting vehicles. For Fragiosos I guess it's good, because normally you want to shoot, not pop smoke, and for CC dreads it's also good, since terrain doesn't bog you down as much.

As it should be!  Will be nice to see him back on the table.

You cannot add units to a formation. If you add a unit that is not part of a detachment (formations are detachments too) the whole army becomes unbound.

Then who can lead the Flesh Tearer's formation?

As it should be! Will be nice to see him back on the table.

I imagine most people would run seth as a Lord of war, along with a small force using the Baal Strike force detatchment, then use the flesh tearer formation as an additon.

As it should be! Will be nice to see him back on the table.

I imagine most people would run seth as a Lord of war, along with a small force using the Baal Strike force detatchment, then use the flesh tearer formation as an additon.

I'm surprised the Flesh Tearer formation doesn't allow Seth as an option.

Does the new detachment with the mandatory elite also allow a Lord of War?

It better!

Mephiston basically has to go in a pod full of DC. If you can ROLL up 5++ power then you're in the money.

Pre-game, we have to roll to determine our BA psyker powers like we do the other disciplines?!? Or do you mean successfully rolling them during the psychic phase?

Psychic powers are random, BA discipline is like any other, it has a table with 6 powers and a primaris.

And the FT formation (rumored to come in a WD, and it could be repeated in Exterminatus) doesn't have any HQ or LoW, I don't know if you can take that as your only force?

Okay, so I had the codex in hand today and looked through it thoroughly with a buddy of mine.

I have changed my opinion. I think BA are one of the few armies that will stand their ground without any allies.

The stars are obviously Dante (for his descent of angels), Astorath with JP DC (as your main hammer), the command squad (it does not have a 1 per army limitation for some reason, so take two with 3 meltad each), MSU grav bikes and Baal Preds (although I will still use Sicaran).

I am not sold on troops but I recon LasPlas will be a solid option.

A list I might try would be this:

Astorath

ML2 Librarian with JP

10 DC with 1PF and JP

2 command squads with 3 meltas

2 units of 5 tacs with plasma gun in LasPlas

2 units of 3 bikes with 2 grav each

Sicaran Battle Tank with Schizm of Mars

Dante

This can bring MSU back to SM.

Btw, fun fact: DoA wording allows it to be stacked with Servo Skulls to make precise drops.

I just read all 82 pages of this forum and it took me three days and I must say I can't WAIT TO KILL EVERYTHING MY 80 DEATH COMPANY will be put to good use especially with meph add another librarian quickening on two squids of 15 DC and throw in two tacts and DP my ASMs with melta meltas +1 INT +1 STR WHOLE ARMY CAN I GET AN AMMMMENNNNNNN IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS CODEX IVE BEEN WAITING SINCE I WAS 15 FOR A NEW ONE OMG I LOVE B&C for such a great forum/community! everything I own is going to be thrown into a apoc game at my house im hosting against my uncle who has 10k pts nids and I have 10kpts Blood Angels AND IM GOIN TO charge him with everything and beat him to a pulp in melee #TOOEXCITED Kill main burn?

Archived