The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

For the 3rd time now, putting a unit with the Scout special rule in a vehicle that is not a Dedicated Transport does not confer Scout to that vehicle.

In my book, it does. pg. 168 of the mini-rb from deathstorm:

If a unit with the Scout USR is placed in a transport vehicle, the Scout rule confers to the vehicle.

This is freely quoted, mind you, but I think I got the point across. The rule that only confers to dedicated transports is infiltrate.

Snorri

Edit: The unit even get's the option of staying in reserves and to come in over the side!

mine says "if a unit with this special rule is deployed inside a dedicated transport, it confers the scout special rule to the transport" on page 171 of the deathstorm codex

Mine is a German version, mind you. This is interesting, however! Because the word "dedicated" is missing....

Snorri

wow that is very interesting as it would clearly mean then that if you read german you are clearly better at scouting than the rest of us. :) actually made myself chuckle with that. it does make things dificult to get a general ruling on the transport use. :(

Anyone notice Gallian's staff in the relic wargear section, but not in the wargear points list?

Not that anyone would use it, but still.

I like the rules for the staff, I just don't like the points cost. If it were 15 points, I'd use it regularly. 

I have the digital enhanced ed codex. In the army list it's 25p but in the army builder it's 10p. The leak had it at 10p also so I wonder if maybe the army list might be wrong here

Anyone notice Gallian's staff in the relic wargear section, but not in the wargear points list?

I like the rules for the staff, I just don't like the points cost. If it were 15 points, I'd use it regularly. 

I have the digital enhanced ed codex. In the army list it's 25p but in the army builder it's 10p. The leak had it at 10p also so I wonder if maybe the army list might be wrong here

Hrrm, you are correct. I didn't notice it before, but my enhanced digital edition is the same way. Under the librarian listing in the codex proper it's a 25 point item. In the list builder tool, it says you can upgrade the librarian's normal force weapon to Gallian's staff for 10 points. Honestly, the 10 points "feels right" since the base librarian cost already includes a force weapon and it's simply an upgrade. 

Looks like it will need an FAQ

For any of you with the paper copy, what is the points listing for Gallian's staff in the hardback codex?

Hrrm, you are correct. I didn't notice it before, but my enhanced digital edition is the same way. Under the librarian listing in the codex proper it's a 25 point item. In the list builder tool, it says you can upgrade the librarian's normal force weapon to Gallian's staff for 10 points. Honestly, the 10 points "feels right" since the base librarian cost already includes a force weapon and it's simply an upgrade. 

Looks like it will need an FAQ

For any of you with the paper copy, what is the points listing for Gallian's staff in the hardback codex?

Gallian's staff is missing from the wargear cost list. However, the librarian's profile includes it as a 10 point upgrade.

Only a 1550 list. I like it right now, but I am not sure how to proceed now. You can check it out, I was written a few lines about it:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/300370-1550-games-and-first-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=3888805

I will work my way up to 1750 within the next few weeks, once I know how to carry on.

Gallian's staff is missing from the wargear cost list. However, the librarian's profile includes it as a 10 point upgrade.

It's not really missing, it's left out intentionally.

Other armies had that too with relics that could only be taken by a few (like the special Banners).

Also: I too have the Digital Edition now, so Battlescribe work is going a lot faster and I can answer some questions.

Gallians staff is 10 points in the printed codex under the librarian entry.  Its but if in the squad the Librarian would get a 5+ feel no pain roll from a narthicium.  The staff is force concussive + 2S with AP4.

Has anyone play tested a 1850+ list, what did you take, what works, what doesnt, quality or quantity and how did it go?

Ran  4 games now

Dante and Death Company or Mephiston and Death Company.

Descent of Angels is Dantes automatic warlord trait and if running fully reserved which we can do again (as long as you have drop pods and can stay alive T1 ) he is virtually an auto include. 

You can break out and run Dante solo he is a freight train.

If beefed by Quickening Dante charges with fleet, has Initiative 7-9  he attacks 6-8 times with master crafted at strength 7.  Its almost the perfect number of attacks to finish of a marine squad in the opponents assault phase.  Or he can hit and run out easily enough.

Building the core of my list around around

1 Librarian JP ML2

1 Librarian JP ML2

1 Tactical squad 1 special weapon and combi on the Sgt, Drop pod

1 Tactical squad 1 special weapon and combi on the Sgt, Drop pod

5 Death Company JP's power fist

5 Death Company JP's power fist

Stormraven Hurricane Bolter sponsons

Stormraven Hurricane Bolter sponsons

10 Assault marines Vet Sgt Dual lightning claws melta bombs 2 meltaguns

Thats 1425 points will probably run about 110 points more of Scout bikes for objective capturing as a 2nd and 3rd fast entry

After that probably more drop pods or change a Libby for Dante. 

Gallians staff is 10 points in the printed codex under the librarian entry.  Its but if in the squad the Librarian would get a 5+ feel no pain roll from a narthicium.  The staff is force concussive + 2S with AP4.

Thank you. Given that the printed codex has it as a 10 point upgrade and the enhanced digital edition's army builder also has it as a 10 point upgrade, I'm going to assume the 25 point cost listed under the librarian's entry in the enhanced digital version is an error. 

It's been a nice surprise, drop pods fitting in so well. I hope to use alpha strike in the way you described, bikes would be my first choice for grav anti-MC if they fired at full range after moving, but as it is they're unlikely to get within 12" of an MC on turn 1. Sternguard all with combi-grav could drop on turn 1 and put down enough shots to kill a WK, allowing for cover saves.

The thing is that Sternguard are already pretty brutal again WKs with Hellfire rounds anyway. A 10-man squad will put 3-4 wounds on a WK at close range without any need for Grav and the WK will not benefit from cover anyway.

For the cost of upgrading the Sternguard entirely to combi-gravs, you can almost afford an additional grav biker unit. Sternguard are pricey enough and can threaten most non-vehicle, non-TEQ units very well already. Rather than spending a lot of points for a marginal increase against a small range of targets, I would rather add the grav to a separate unit. More threats, more firepower, more bodies. 

My new mini-rulebook with the BA on it along with the Deathstorm Campaign supplement arrived today. That's everything I've ordered/wanted for this month so far. I still have another $50 I can spend on myself and was thinking of at least one model unit, but I'm curious about the formations mentioned in the last third of the campaign this month.

Still not sure about the BA dice.

Command squads Honour Guard now officially suck. A shame, really. Nobody needs a combat shield. dry.png The bad load-out for the champion is somewhat mitigated by the +1 initiative, but still. Nah.

There was some discussion about the merits of using them as a special weapon delivery system if they were a "free" slot as that would free up the Fast and Elite slots. Now that we have the codex, can anyone confirm if this works or do they actually take a slot in the force org chart (and if so, which one)?

Archived