The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

So I just realized we can now fill our troops slots with scouting land raiders full of close combat scouts and a character for buffs..... for a very reasonable price too.

Jump pack Death company for close protection and cover.

Scout only confers to Dedicated Transports. So no.

So I missed out on exterminatus hard back.... When are the soft cover ones ment to go on order?

As said before they are out of stock however if you have an kindle or android or apple product you can always go digital it's cheaper to especially if get the ePub.

So I just realized we can now fill our troops slots with scouting land raiders full of close combat scouts and a character for buffs..... for a very reasonable price too.

Jump pack Death company for close protection and cover.

Scout only confers to Dedicated Transports. So no.

Just checked that. Looks like I was mistaken about a rule question... I didn't even know that was possible :D

Just got my codex and finished reading through most of it....my largest impressions after reading it:

1) Dante is just so strong in this book....so so strong. I just can't wait to bless him with the quickening and assault someone at init 6+d3 and dish out 4+1+d3 AP2 S6 attacks at initiative on the charge. And he causes fear, and has hit and run, and eternal warrior.....so so strong. Glad we'll see him back on the tabletop.

2) Meph is so much better in this book (and cheaper!)...gaining IC status is just so important that it dwarfs any of the negatives, imo. Ten 2+ LOS meat shields? Yes please. And the BA psychic powers compliment him so well...man those psychic powers look nice. Attacking at S10, can gain +d3 attacks and initiative, can maybe get a power that grants him a 5++ save....very nice. Plus he can deny the witch on a 3+ against lower level psykers and 4+ against higher level psykers...most excellent.

3) I tried building a few 1850 point lists and was just amazed at how many units I could squeeze into 1850 points. It felt like I could just keep adding and adding and adding more units....huge points drops almost across the board are going to lead to many more models on the table.

I was optimistic after hearing the rumors, but now having read it, I couldn't be happier with this codex. Yeah, there were a few small nerfs here and there (Baal losing scout, Meph dropping to T5, no more jump pack discounts on razorbacks, bloodstrike missiles going away, etc), but nothing significant. I'm not going to even bother labeling the whole "no assault marines as troops" thing as a nerf, because quite honestly, it's a non-issue. With the number of point reductions we've received and the options around multiple formations/detachments in 7E, I can field as many assault marines as I would ever want. And OS is overrated, I'd much rather have +1 init on the charge.

Overall this is a much more balanced book with many more competitive and fun build options. biggrin.png

I finally have it! Both the codex and the datacards! Even better, I was able to throw the BA dice in too, all for a $60, taxes included. I finally got to use a 30% discount I won after achieving 1st place in a past Escalation League. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to feed my addiction.

tumblr_maax00wLJC1qfsomt.jpg

...But back on topic : Anyone find anything in the Codex that others may have glossed over in the hype to answer questions / get as much new info out there ASAP?

tumblr_maax00wLJC1qfsomt.jpg

...But back on topic : Anyone find anything in the Codex that others may have glossed over in the hype to answer questions / get as much new info out there ASAP?

Relics look pretty solid. I am a fan of the S user, AP2 sword that strikes on I and especially the jump pack that allows you to re-roll scatter dice, re-roll mishap table and force units with interceptor to fire snapshots against that unit. Damn. It feels so good to deep strike behind those broadsides and explain the Tau player that he can not use the large blast to intercept :D

Dread Wish-listing:

Move through cover

Inspiring prescense

Fear

Strikedown

Rear AV11

Magna Grapples do grant Move Through Cover.

As an aside, holy crap did stuff get cheaper. I grabbed a bunch of rosters built with the old book and updated them to the new one. I tended to have enough points left over to bring Dante.

The problem with PA hordes, although they could be a struggle for many, was their lack of mobility. I say was, because BA jump packs efficiently cover that problem now. Top that off with 2+ and / or FNP and you're all good. It just requires a more patient approach I suppose.

The other thing to remember is that even an army mainly with jump packs can (and probably should) still include some pod squads for alpha strikes. Whilst AP2 has certainly increased over the course of 6th edition, it usually tends to be focussed on a small number of units (except perhaps Eldar).

This means that if you can use your alpha strike units to target your opponent's Wraithknights, Centurions, Vindicators etc early on, it will greatly increase the survivability of our SG and DC as they close to striking distance.

The irony is that the best antidote to AP2 units is some of our own and I can see grav bike squads or allied Centurions riding in our FA drop pods as being critical to taking out key threats early on.

It's been a nice surprise, drop pods fitting in so well. I hope to use alpha strike in the way you described, bikes would be my first choice for grav anti-MC if they fired at full range after moving, but as it is they're unlikely to get within 12" of an MC on turn 1. Sternguard all with combi-grav could drop on turn 1 and put down enough shots to kill a WK, allowing for cover saves.

Tactical squads are another nice surprise, a ten man squad with heavy weapons and a tooled-up sarge can do an effective alpha strike and survive to support the jump units in arriving in turn 2. Actually the tacticals really do make me squee.

This is a great Codex indeeed.

Trying to build a roster is giving the impression that I'm cheating, because everything is so damn CHEAP!!! :D

This is so refreshing, I'd never experienced not struggling to fit units in my lists. :)

Archived